• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

The steps you've taken so far are correct, what you got back is indeed the payment receipt.

If your number is indeed low enough such that its likely to become current in October, I suppose you can go ahead and get your medical exam done now. Of course, nothing wrong with waiting for the VB to be released (which could happen in the next couple of days) just like you already planned before doing the medical exam also.

My number is 1xxx and I believe it will be current in October. So, as you suggested, I scheduled my medical examination for Monday. I have also started preparing rest of the AOS package.

I have a question regarding translation of any paperwork that isn't in English, such as birth certificate, etc. Are we allowed to translate any of the documents if they aren't in English or do they all have to be certified copy? Thank you.

My number is 1xxx and I believe it will be current in October. So, as you suggested, I scheduled my medical examination for Monday. I have also started preparing rest of the AOS package.

I have a question regarding translation of any paperwork that isn't in English, such as birth certificate, etc. Are we allowed to translate any of the documents if they aren't in English or do they all have to be certified copy? Thank you.

USCIS no longer require applicants to submit "certified copies" of their documents. However all documents not in English must be translated. You or a family member cannot translate the documents yourself, any other person can do the translation, it doesn't haven't to be done by a professional. Also, whoever is doing the translation must certify they're fluent in both English and the language the document was translated from and this has to be attached to the translated copy.

Thank you mom. Would it be fine for me to find some one online (i.e., online translators)? There are translators who work via internet professionally (with reviews, etc.), some of them are very affordable; as long as they can certify that they are fluent in both languages, there should not be any problem; am I correct?

"By saying they have to certify they are fluent in both languages", is there any form for them to fill out or do they need to write a letter and sign under it such as this (see the section " Certification by Translator"): http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing ?

Thank you mom. Would it be fine for me to find some one online (i.e., online translators)? There are translators who work via internet professionally (with reviews, etc.), some of them are very affordable; as long as they can certify that they are fluent in both languages, there should not be any problem; am I correct?

"By saying they have to certify they are fluent in both languages", is there any form for them to fill out or do they need to write a letter and sign under it such as this (see the section " Certification by Translator"): http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing ?

As long as they are a legit business organization, and they include the signed certification, it shouldn't be a problem.

The certification has to be just as listed on the USCIS link you posted above.

Hello Sm1smom, I need your help. My number is quite high 2016AF43K, but I don't know how it really works. I submitted my DS 260 on June 4th, and I haven'te received any second notification letter from KCC. Also, I'm planning on doing AOS, shoould I go ahead and pay the fees right now or should I wait till I receive the 2NL before to pay anything to KCC?

Hello Sm1smom, I need your help. My number is quite high 2016AF43K, but I don't know how it really works. I submitted my DS 260 on June 4th, and I haven'te received any second notification letter from KCC. Also, I'm planning on doing AOS, shoould I go ahead and pay the fees right now or should I wait till I receive the 2NL before to pay anything to KCC?

Please go through the AOS spreadsheet (link below), it has a step by step guidance of the process and a whole lot more useful information:

https://goo.gl/Tm5Ncp

I'd suggest reviewing the visa bulletin for prior years and seeing when your number became current based on history.

I would personally wait until you know for sure that your number will be current before you make the payment, because otherwise you could (unfortunately) be out of $330.

Last edited:
Hi, I have been selected by the DV2016 lottery and already submitted my DS260 form (and paid the $330 fee to be eligble for aos). I am currently residing on a J1 (not subjected to the 2 year home stay residency requirement). My number will not become current until next year, and now I have to travel abroad for a few weeks. Will I have problems re-entering the country?
Thanks very much!

Last edited:
Hi, I have been selected by the DV2016 lottery and already submitted my DS260 form (and paid the $330 fee to be eligble for aos). I am currently residing on a J1 (not subjected to the 2 year home stay residency requirement). My number will not become current until next year, and now I have to travel abroad for a few weeks. Will I have problems re-entering the country?
Thanks very much!

You shouldn't have any problem getting back in, however it's important to know that admission/re-admission is always at the discretion of CBP regardless of whether an immigrant intent has been displayed or not.

p.s. The $330 fee you paid is not an AOS eligibility fee. It is the DV administrative fee that all selectees wishing to proceed with their selection, regardless of whether they're processing CP or AOS are required to pay.

You shouldn't have any problem getting back in, however it's important to know that admission/re-admission is always at the discretion of CBP regardless of whether an immigrant intent has been displayed or not.

p.s. The $330 fee you paid is not an AOS eligibility fee. It is the DV administrative fee that all selectees wishing to proceed with their selection, regardless of whether they're processing CP or AOS are required to pay.

Great, thank you so much for your quick reply!

Great, thank you so much for your quick reply!

I was in a similar situation: I had submitted my DS-260 and paid the DV administrative fee, and I have traveled outside the US in July. No issue to come back, CBP did not ask any question (I have an E-2 visa).

I was in a similar situation: I had submitted my DS-260 and paid the DV administrative fee, and I have traveled outside the US in July. No issue to come back, CBP did not ask any question (I have an E-2 visa).
Fantastic, that is very comforting to know. Thanks for sharing!

Hello Sm1smom, how are you doing? Just to make things clear here, since everyone been saying different stuff, how long does it take KCC to get back to you stating that they got the information about one going AoS route. I am DV2016 selectee, case number EU13xxx, once i found out that i was selected i went ahead and filled out DS-260 in May. Since then i haven't heard anything back from no one, and was wondering what to do and what are the next steps. Thank you very much in advance.

Hello Sm1smom, how are you doing? Just to make things clear here, since everyone been saying different stuff, how long does it take KCC to get back to you stating that they got the information about one going AoS route. I am DV2016 selectee, case number EU13xxx, once i found out that i was selected i went ahead and filled out DS-260 in May. Since then i haven't heard anything back from no one, and was wondering what to do and what are the next steps. Thank you very much in advance.

Back in July when you asked about the 2NL, this was my response:

Now, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record - 2NL could take anywhere between 2 weeks - 2 months (or slightly longer). Yes the spreadsheet doesn't mention when the 2NL could be received because it isn't what determines when the DV payment should be made like you're assuming above.

You 'critiqued' the spreadsheet of not having this information back then, well I'm happy to inform you the spreadsheet has since been updated with it :).

So please go back to the spreadsheet as it also has all the information regarding what the next step(s) should be and further guidance/suggestions on when to take them.

New bulletin posted - October 2016 eligibility:

AFRICA 9,100
Except:
Egypt: 8,000
Ethiopia: 8,000

ASIA 2,800
Except:
Nepal: 2,400

EUROPE 9,150
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 2
OCEANIA 275
SOUTH AMERICA,
and the CARIBBEAN 475

So my number just became current for October. I am still yet to receive my 2NL - should I be worried? I want to get my medical exam booked in - should I be waiting to receive my 2NL or go ahead and get it done?

Also, just to confirm, we should not be mailing anything to the Chicago Lockbox until October 2016, correct? Any thing earlier and we take the risk of them not accepting it.

Actually, I just read this old response from SuzieQQQ:

"Start gathering paperwork if you expect an early interviews, but the 2NLs won't go out until 1-2 weeks after the visa bulletin showing your number to be current has been published. For October interviews, this will be the bulletin published around 10 August.
Don't do the medical until you have your interview date though - most doctors won't do them without the 2NL anyway."

This made me feel a little better... so now that October numbers are published, we should be expecting the 2NL via email, correct?

And based on that response, does the 2NL provide us with an interview date?

Last edited:
So my number just became current for October. I am still yet to receive my 2NL - should I be worried? I want to get my medical exam booked in - should I be waiting to receive my 2NL or go ahead and get it done?

Also, just to confirm, we should not be mailing anything to the Chicago Lockbox until October 2016, correct? Any thing earlier and we take the risk of them not accepting it.

Actually, I just read this old response from SuzieQQQ:

"Start gathering paperwork if you expect an early interviews, but the 2NLs won't go out until 1-2 weeks after the visa bulletin showing your number to be current has been published. For October interviews, this will be the bulletin published around 10 August.
Don't do the medical until you have your interview date though - most doctors won't do them without the 2NL anyway."

This made me feel a little better... so now that October numbers are published, we should be expecting the 2NL via email, correct?

And based on that response, does the 2NL provide us with an interview date?

And the post after that from mom reminded me this was an AOS thread not a CP one, which is what I was referring to....