• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Does FO send 2 separate interview letters?
My wife just got "adjustment of status interview" letter today.
I am the principal applicant. Should I expect another letter addressed to myself?

It's usually one IL, although some FOs do send out for both the applicant and the derivative. And some simply make the mistake of sending out one to the derivative. Regardless, you should show up for the interview with your wife.

It's usually one IL, although some FOs do send out for both the applicant and the derivative. And some simply make the mistake of sending out one to the derivative. Regardless, you should show up for the interview with your wife.
Wouldn't there be a problem at the entrance?
I recall when we came to our FO for the biometrics they requested our appointment letters and checked IDs.

Do you know how common is for FO to send 1 IL instead of 2? Maybe I should call them?

Mom,

My wife and I had our biometric done on Oct. 26th and I know you mentioned many times before to be patience, we have been waiting the interview letter for more than a month. Do you think I should call FO? Do you think FO can tell us when we should expect our interview letter? Thank you.

Mom,

My wife and I had our biometric done on Oct. 26th and I know you mentioned many times before to be patience, we have been waiting the interview letter for more than a month. Do you think I should call FO? Do you think FO can tell us when we should expect our interview letter? Thank you.

I will take responsibility and respond to your post. A month of waiting is almost nothing if you look at the timelines from the previous years. Those who already have their interviews scheduled are lucky ones.
I had my biometrics done on October 5th, and even though I am so hopeful every single day when I check my mailbox, I am not expecting my interview letter earlier than in mid-January.
You can call your FO, but I doubt that they would give you this information. They are more likely to send you to the processing times on their website, which is not informative for the AOS through DV-lottery. So again, I think the best way is to relax, tune into Christmas mood and patiently wait for the interview letter.

I will take responsibility and respond to your post. A month of waiting is almost nothing if you look at the timelines from the previous years. Those who already have their interviews scheduled are lucky ones.
I had my biometrics done on October 5th, and even though I am so hopeful every single day when I check my mailbox, I am not expecting my interview letter earlier than in mid-January.
You can call your FO, but I doubt that they would give you this information. They are more likely to send you to the processing times on their website, which is not informative for the AOS through DV-lottery. So again, I think the best way is to relax, tune into Christmas mood and patiently wait for the interview letter.

jjjess,

Thank you for your reply, I think you are right! I will wait until January.

Happy holiday to all readers and moderator!

Wouldn't there be a problem at the entrance?
I recall when we came to our FO for the biometrics they requested our appointment letters and checked IDs.

Do you know how common is for FO to send 1 IL instead of 2? Maybe I should call them?

Your wife's petition cannot be adjudicated without yours since you're the principal applicant. For the bio, each person is expected to receive an individual bio appointment notice, not the same as the IL. It is very very common for a single IL to be issued to cover an entire family, the rest of the family members are typically listed on that single letter, even though it's addressed to one person. Are you both residing in the same State/home? Did you both list the same address on your I-485? Are you listed on the letter addressed to your wife?

Mom,

In addition to what @jjjess already wrote, while waiting, you can go ahead and schedule an INFOPASS appointment for January just in case the IL still doesn't show up by the end of December. You can't call your FO, there's no listed number for the FOs for making enquiries.

In addition to what @jjjess already wrote, while waiting, you can go ahead and schedule an INFOPASS appointment for January just in case the IL still doesn't show up by the end of December. You can't call your FO, there's no listed number for the FOs for making enquiries.
Mom,

I tried to read about the INFOPASS, it is written "Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment." And at USCIS website, it says "If you want to know the status of a case that is pending at this office, you should first call customer service at 1-800-375-5283" Should I call that number first before scheduling an appointment via INFOPASS? Thank you for your help.

Mom,

I tried to read about the INFOPASS, it is written "Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment." And at USCIS website, it says "If you want to know the status of a case that is pending at this office, you should first call customer service at 1-800-375-5283" Should I call that number first before scheduling an appointment via INFOPASS? Thank you for your help.

@jjjess already responded on the likely outcome of a phone call.

You can call your FO, but I doubt that they would give you this information. They are more likely to send you to the processing times on their website, which is not informative for the AOS through DV-lottery.

You can still call the number though if it makes you feel better.

All who are wondering if INFOPASS solves your problems, it doesn't at all. Your FO won't give any information except: Wait for ......... no. of days.
We had second INFOPASS today since we didn't get our decision even after almost 40 days of our interview. They told to wait some days more.
All they will say is : WAIT. Hence, if you have concept of "I will get something from INFOPASS", then you will return home empty.

Have patience guys, we are the lucky ones who are selected. We have until next September to get through it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all.

Hi Mom,I know you said you have not known anybody in my situation, but I would like to ask you if you would recommend a lawyer for handling our case, just to be on the safe side, or to go by the AOS package?
Also, if we submit all paperwork before the end of this year, having a EU18*** case nr., do you think we would get the interview by Feb-March?

Thank you!

Do you get told at your interview if you are approved, or do you have to wait for your status to be updated online/card to arrive in the mail?

Your wife's petition cannot be adjudicated without yours since you're the principal applicant. For the bio, each person is expected to receive an individual bio appointment notice, not the same as the IL. It is very very common for a single IL to be issued to cover an entire family, the rest of the family members are typically listed on that single letter, even though it's addressed to one person. Are you both residing in the same State/home? Did you both list the same address on your I-485? Are you listed on the letter addressed to your wife?
I am not listed on her IL.
Yes we do live together under the same address that was specified on our I-485's.

Naaw, don't sweat the bit about the I-864, sounds like the IL your FO sent you is the generic one. An I-864 is not applicable to DV based AOS petitioners, if at all you need to present an affidavit of support, it will be the I-134. If your annual income is above the required poverty level guide applicable to your situation, then you don't even need to worry about getting someone to provide you with an I-134 (and if I correctly recollect, you're not on a student visa). So you should be okay with evidence of your annual income (which I assume is above the poverty guide level) and bank account savings.

Mom, our interview is on Thursday. My annual income is well above the required poverty level. However, I have no savings in my bank account. I just started my new job in September. Do you think that I need to provide the I-134 form?

BTW, the link in the spreadsheet about the US DOS Foreign Affairs Manual Volume 9 leads to a non-existing webpage.

Thanks

All who are wondering if INFOPASS solves your problems, it doesn't at all. Your FO won't give any information except: Wait for ......... no. of days.
We had second INFOPASS today since we didn't get our decision even after almost 40 days of our interview. They told to wait some days more.
All they will say is : WAIT. Hence, if you have concept of "I will get something from INFOPASS", then you will return home empty.

Have patience guys, we are the lucky ones who are selected. We have until next September to get through it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all.

I'm sorry to learn your INFOPASS visit did not go as you expected. However, I do not think it is right or fair for you to make a generalized statement such as "All who are wondering if INFOPASS solves your problems, it doesn't at all."

If the INFOPASS is as completely useless as you're insinuating, we wouldn't be recommending it as a possible option to explore. Yes, the INFOPASS may not produce the exact answer you or anyone who needs to pursue that option may be looking for, it is equally not completely useless depending on what your issue is and the type of questions you ask when you have the opportunity to speak face to face with someone at your FO. There are reports of instances where an INFOPASS has succeeded in bringing an overlooked case to the attention of the FO, or where a petitioner has been able to find out if the delay in decision they're experiencing has something to do with a pending background check. People have reported being issued with their long awaited IL or actually had an interview on the spot when they went for an INFOPASS appointment. So please try not to discourage people with statements such as you made above.

Hi Mom,I know you said you have not known anybody in my situation, but I would like to ask you if you would recommend a lawyer for handling our case, just to be on the safe side, or to go by the AOS package?
Also, if we submit all paperwork before the end of this year, having a EU18*** case nr., do you think we would get the interview by Feb-March?

Thank you!

It would have been greatly appreciated if you provided a brief summary of your case again considering the fact that you've hidden your profile from the general public which means your past post(s) are not quite accessible, and I obviously can't be expected to remember the facts about every case I've commented on. Had to do a little bit more digging (more than I like/care to do) to find your post.

To address the issues in your last post, I think we should clarify the fact that I said I haven't met anyone with a case like yours was in response to your direct question as to whether or not I specifically come across a case such as yours. It's not because I consider your case extra ordinarily difficult.

Bottom line is as long as you have a valid status as at the time of your AOS package being formally accepted by USCIS (and have never gone out of status during the process of all the back and forth status changes), and you came into the US legally (you were inspected), I see no reason why you can't process the AOS on your own. It's a simple straightforward process, which normally shouldn't require the services of an immigration attorney considering the fact that most of them are completely clueless regarding the DV process. However, your case your call. You should hire one if it makes you feel better.

There's no guarantee as to when you're likely to be interviewed. Interview dates are FO dependent. Take a look at both the current and past timeline spreadsheets, look for your FO for a trend of how long it's taken past applicants to complete the process. If your FO isn't listed, still look at the average trend of other FOs to get a clue. Hiring an attorney does not and cannot fasten the process.

Do you get told at your interview if you are approved, or do you have to wait for your status to be updated online/card to arrive in the mail?

You may get told and you may not. You may have to wait for a text/email message regarding status updates online to find out you've been approved.

You may get told and you may not. You may have to wait for a text/email message regarding status updates online to find out you've been approved.

Thank you - and if my online case hasn't been updating (i.e. it still hasn't updated to tell me my interview has been scheduled, and it's tomorrow), will this be a problem if I have to wait to see my status update online after my interview?

Mom, our interview is on Thursday. My annual income is well above the required poverty level. However, I have no savings in my bank account. I just started my new job in September. Do you think that I need to provide the I-134 form?

BTW, the link in the spreadsheet about the US DOS Foreign Affairs Manual Volume 9 leads to a non-existing webpage.

Thanks

You may be okay with your employment letter. However, considering the fact that you have no savings to present and you just started on this job, I would suggest getting an I-134 as a back up document if you can. If you can't, then you just have to show up with whatever you have and keep your fingers crossed.

Regarding the 9 FAM documents, the DOS recently made changes to the site hosting all those documents, so yes the links are no longer current. I'm looking at updating those soon (it may take some time for me to get around to doing that though). Anything specific you're looking for?