• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi everyone! Today I finally did my interview at the San Francisco Field Office. I showed up 30 minutes before the interview and the IO was very very nice and did everything to make me feel comfortable. He asked me to repeat the information on the I-485 that I filed and asked proof of financial support. I showed my current contract that expire in July 1st and the offer of employment from July 1st that is obviously above the poverty guidelines. Then he told me I was the last case of the day for him and because of that he was eventually able to review my case and run the procedure of approval (to verify if there are still VISA available for Europe) on the system immediately if I could wait 15-20 minutes (obviously my answer was yes). So I did wait 15 minutes and he came back saying that he wasn't able to find the certified translation of my master of science (which I filed with all the rest of the paperwork) so I gave him another copy. At that point he asked me if with a master of science in my Country (Italy) we are required to do the high-school before and I said yes but he told me that he needed to verify that in their system. I stopped him saying "don't worry, I have the original of my high-school diploma and also a copy with me" and he was very relieved for that and he bring the copy in his office. 5 minutes after he came back saying "congratulations, you just got approved by the system! You should receive your card anytime between 1 to 4 weeks. Don't call before the 4 weeks has passed in case of delays". Few minutes after I received the status update "New card is being produced". As final notes I can add that my lawyer came with me since was in our initial agreement (no extra fee to pay) and that when he called the supervisor the month before to ask why was taking so long to get the IL, that the supervisor told him they asked to the KCC my file AND the receipt of the DV payment but they just sent back the confirmation of the win and not the receipt of the payment. I'm not sure if that was the truth because I called KCC the day after that famous call and they told me they received the request of my file that same day, never before. Another thing my lawyer told me is that many cases he had last month had delays on getting the plastic card and he called to ask clarifications and they told him that in the US they have 2 production centers to print the green cards and one was closed for over a month for maintenance, but now is open again and we shouldn't get delays (I can't confirm the validity of this information from my lawyer but I thought to ask and letting you know since I read that some people in this forum is having unexpected delays).
Finally I wanna thank everyone in this forum, especially @Sm1smom and @Britsimon, for the huge help and support provided FOR FREE. This procedure sometimes is slow and frustrating but yet they educated me properly to be ready for today! THANK YOU!!!!! And best of luck to everyone!!!!!

Congratulations! Enjoy your new status.

So I figure you didn't include a copy of your HS diploma with the AOS package you originally mailed in? Also was a copy of your DV payment receipt included in your package?

He

hello kchemist,
I was just reading your post, so you are in NY, I am in NY as well and waiting for interview notice, my visa no became current in May, I called KCC and they said my FO (NY USCIS) has not requested my visa and asked me to call USCIS and talk with supervisor, which I did and I got the email about my recent inquiry saying that they are waiting to get a schedule for interview. Looking at older post it seems like NY office particularly takes longer than other field office. And I am not getting what actual problem you had and about getting danger of running out of visa numbers for Asia, so you already had your interview right ?, and anything happened at interview for them to not approve your GC ? I know my concern may not be that serious but waiting to get interview and getting everything done by September is really stressful, I check my mail box twice a day and my mind is always full with this. Every time I read post from my DV friends in this forum, I like to say I feel you.
Hi well I havent got any interview letter as of yet. But I did a congressmen inquiry upon the inquiry they said they are yet to hear back from KCC with my file and they requested again. When I called KCC they confirmed this that my office did ask for it. Issue is this is the 2nd time they requested the file and 2nd time KCC sent the file for them. It looks like my office is not aware of the electronic transfer nature of the file and they must be waiting for a physical file. My FO is Manchester NH. Also in the email they have given a plan of action saying if I dont here back from them before July 27th contact again. So at this point I m very calm if I can get to know that my KCC file is with them I will be even more relieved.

I agree with Mom. You are probably making things worse by trying to push too hard - and you are using up "bullets" against the advice you've been given. So yeah, patience.
Thank you very much for suggestion. I m currently exercising patience until July 27th. Today I made a call to an immigration attorney that I personally know to get insight on this and he said he went to Manchester FO on monday for some other work and he got to know they only have 2 officers to adjudicate cases (now I m not saying its 100% true but they also told me they are understaffed since July last year).I hope everything will be all rite by the end of next month.

Congratulations! Enjoy your new status.

So I figure you didn't include a copy of your HS diploma with the AOS package you originally mailed in? Also was a copy of your DV payment receipt included in your package?
Hi Mom! Yes the DV payment receipt was included in my package but my lawyer was told by phone from the supervisor that they need the confirmation from KCC anyway. I'm not sure if this is true and/or if it's a policy of the FO of San Francisco or a policy that everyone should follow.
No I didn't include a copy of my school diploma in my original file, but just a copy of my Master of Science and a copy of the certified translation. The lawyer prepared and filed the package for me, and he said that was enough the Master of Science since is an higher level than the high-school diploma. Honestly I think this info is not correct and is due to his lack in Diversity VISA's experiences, because as you know they need the evidence that you have completed a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education, and in some Countries you can subscribe to a university even without completing the 12-years career. Luckily I met you guys, since you underlined this aspect many times, so I asked my family to send me by mail the original of my high-school diploma in time. Of course this doesn't mean that the IO couldn't still approve my case after verifying the length of my education's career, however that could may lead to a delay in my approval.

He

hello kchemist,
I was just reading your post, so you are in NY, I am in NY as well and waiting for interview notice, my visa no became current in May, I called KCC and they said my FO (NY USCIS) has not requested my visa and asked me to call USCIS and talk with supervisor, which I did and I got the email about my recent inquiry saying that they are waiting to get a schedule for interview. Looking at older post it seems like NY office particularly takes longer than other field office. And I am not getting what actual problem you had and about getting danger of running out of visa numbers for Asia, so you already had your interview right ?, and anything happened at interview for them to not approve your GC ? I know my concern may not be that serious but waiting to get interview and getting everything done by September is really stressful, I check my mail box twice a day and my mind is always full with this. Every time I read post from my DV friends in this forum, I like to say I feel you.
By the way how did you managed to talk with the supervisor?

Hi Mom! Yes the DV payment receipt was included in my package but my lawyer was told by phone from the supervisor that they need the confirmation from KCC anyway. I'm not sure if this is true and/or if it's a policy of the FO of San Francisco or a policy that everyone should follow.
No I didn't include a copy of my school diploma in my original file, but just a copy of my Master of Science and a copy of the certified translation. The lawyer prepared and filed the package for me, and he said that was enough the Master of Science since is an higher level than the high-school diploma. Honestly I think this info is not correct and is due to his lack in Diversity VISA's experiences, because as you know they need the evidence that you have completed a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education, and in some Countries you can subscribe to a university even without completing the 12-years career. Luckily I met you guys, since you underlined this aspect many times, so I asked my family to send me by mail the original of my high-school diploma in time. Of course this doesn't mean that the IO couldn't still approve my case after verifying the length of my education's career, however that could may lead to a delay in my approval.

A copy of the DV payment receipt is typically included in the KCC file that gets sent, not sure what happened in your case.

I'm glad you sent for your HS diploma prior to your interview. This is what I keep telling people, about the fact that some IOs do insist on seeing the HS diploma itself and some respond like its a ridiculous idea since their college/post graduate degree is obviously higher than a HS diploma. No doubt you would have been approved eventually, but it certainly wouldn't have been today like you rightly noted.

A copy of the DV payment receipt is typically included in the KCC file that gets sent, not sure what happened in your case.

I'm glad you sent for your HS diploma prior to your interview. This is what I keep telling people, about the fact that some IOs do insist on seeing the HS diploma itself and some respond like its a ridiculous idea since their college/post graduate degree is obviously higher than a HS diploma. No doubt you would have been approved eventually, but it certainly wouldn't have been today like you rightly noted.
Considering the fact that KCC told me that the FO requested the file the day after the conversation of my lawyer and the supervisor at the phone, I personally think that they were just not working on my case for some reasons. I'm not saying that they lied but the options are 1) KCC lied 2) FO lied 3) No one lied but the first request got lost. Yes I definitely suggest everyone to do the effort to get the high-school diploma to avoid the risk of delays. Thanks again for all your help, I updated the Timelines spreadsheet and I will update it again once I will get my Welcome Letter and the Green Card

Considering the fact that KCC told me that the FO requested the file the day after the conversation of my lawyer and the supervisor at the phone, I personally think that they were just not working on my case for some reasons. I'm not saying that they lied but the options are 1) KCC lied 2) FO lied 3) No one lied but the first request got lost. Yes I definitely suggest everyone to do the effort to get the high-school diploma to avoid the risk of delays. Thanks again for all your help, I updated the Timelines spreadsheet and I will update it again once I will get my Welcome Letter and the Green Card

Hi mom,
As you know we refiled our package last May 25, and we are waiting for the checks to be cashed. Should we expect the same process than the first time?.. check cashed, notification letter, fingerprint.... or this time it's going to be different?

Hi mom,
As you know we refiled our package last May 25, and we are waiting for the checks to be cashed. Should we expect the same process than the first time?.. check cashed, notification letter, fingerprint.... or this time it's going to be different?

Same process.

Hello speedie thanks for the inspired updates
Am sure that i maybe having same case as yours!( dv winner asylum pending)
please would you mind briefing me on the process and the forms in your AOS package?
Hi Stan
I'm sorry
Hello speedie thanks for the inspired updates
Am sure that i maybe having same case as yours!( dv winner asylum pending)
please would you mind briefing me on the process and the forms in your AOS package?
Hi Stan.
I'm sorry for responding late. Well when it comes to forms we didn't fill the work authorization and advance parole. We fill all the others. the reason for that we were not planning on going anywhere before the process is done and we already have the work authorization based on asylum pending status. Those are the forms we didn't fill because of those reasons.
Thanks

Mom
Me and my son we received our welcome letter and my wife didn't and she's the main applicant. When I check the status it say "Your Card was mailed" for both me and my son and it was updated from "Your case was approved". Her status say" Your name was updated" since the June 1. She hasn't received a welcome letter yet. Is that normal?

Mom
Me and my son we received our welcome letter and my wife didn't and she's the main applicant. When I check the status it say "Your Card was mailed" for both me and my son and it was updated from "Your case was approved". Her status say" Your name was updated" since the June 1. She hasn't received a welcome letter yet. Is that normal?

A derivative typically shouldn't be receiving an approval notice without the PA also receiving theirs. However, there's been a couple of reports from DV 2016 AOSers similar to yours. So I'll say give it a couple of days/weeks. If it's been up to one month since you got your GC and there's no update with regards to your wife's, then you should go on an INFOPASS. Plus, you may also be able to get more information about it when you go for your asylum interview.

A derivative typically shouldn't be receiving an approval notice without the PA also receiving theirs. However, there's been a couple of reports from DV 2016 AOSers similar to yours. So I'll say give it a couple of days/weeks. If it's been up to one month since you got your GC and there's no update with regards to your wife's, then you should go on an INFOPASS. Plus, you may also be able to get more information about it when you go for your asylum interview.
Mom
We cancelled asylum because the interview was supposed yesterday. We went there and we cancelled the asylum since we received the welcome letter. They say the interview was going to be postponed because the file was not with them. I mean the Asylum Office.
Our welcome letter arrived on Monday and she's expecting it this week. What can you advise in this situation?

Mom
We cancelled asylum because the interview was supposed yesterday. We went there and we cancelled the asylum since we received the welcome letter. They say the interview was going to be postponed because the file was not with them. I mean the Asylum Office.
Our welcome letter arrived on Monday and she's expecting it this week. What can you advise in this situation?

Of course I was expecting you to attend your asylum interview and withdraw the petition, and I was suggesting you use that visit to inquire about your wife's update. I had no idea that interview was scheduled for yesterday.

At this point, you'll have to go with the first suggestion I earlier made, which is wait a couple of weeks (about 1 month), then go for an INFOPASS if there's still no news.

Of course I was expecting you to attend your asylum interview and withdraw the petition, and I was suggesting you use that visit to inquire about your wife's update. I had no idea that interview was scheduled for yesterday.

At this point, you'll have to go with the first suggestion I earlier made, which is wait a couple of weeks (about 1 month), then go for an INFOPASS if there's still no news.
Mom
Thank you! To me it make sense but sometimes woman panic. We just received the welcome letter. I've been hearing cases of main applicant welcome letter or the shows up after the derivatives.

Hi guys !

I sent my package almost 3 weeks ago and my check hasnt been cashed yet. Was wondering how long does it take for uscis to cash the check (I saw in the spreadsheet that checks have been cashed after 5-10). Thanks a lot for your help.

I took your advice and booked in an infopass, next week was earliest available. I also called USCIS a few more times... as every rep gave me a different timeline I was wanting to see if I could get a better answer ;)

Anways, I checked the online status for my 3 family members as I do every few days or so, and all their status had been updated to "My Card was mailed to me" with the mail date of yesterday. Woo-hoo! Will be sitting by that mailbox. Funny thing is my online status never went pass "My Case is Approved" even after getting my card.

Admittedly GC production is currently taking between 1 - 3 months, but that hasn't been applicable to approved AOS petitions. So the delay is a bit unusual considering you, the main petitioner already received yours.

If I was in your shoes, I would visit my FO under the pretext of getting the I-551 stamp on both wife and kids' passports by telling them we have an upcoming trip out of the country planned. That reassures me they're indeed approved, and the plastic GC can take however long it wants. In addition they may also be able to give an update as to the status of the cards.

I took your advice and booked in an infopass, next week was earliest available. I also called USCIS a few more times... as every rep gave me a different timeline I was wanting to see if I could get a better answer ;)

Anways, I checked the online status for my 3 family members as I do every few days or so, and all their status had been updated to "My Card was mailed to me" with the mail date of yesterday. Woo-hoo! Will be sitting by that mailbox. Funny thing is my online status never went pass "My Case is Approved" even after getting my card.

Cool. All's well that ends well I suppose ;)