• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

I think because of my nationality (Syrian), which means that it will probably happen again, that's why I was asking whether submitting DS-260 before entering the US, or re-applying for DV-2016 might be risky.

Yeah, difficult ...I've entered the US no problem as a short stay visitor a few times after immigrant intent was declared but I can see in your case it might be more difficult to persuade them your stay will be temporary, however I think you are actually in a better position now : you can say for example "yes I have declared immigrant intent, and I plan to use my DV selection to enter legally when I am able" - so you can show it would be basically stupid to become an illegal immigrant when you have a legal option open to you.

Yeah, difficult ...I've entered the US no problem as a short stay visitor a few times after immigrant intent was declared but I can see in your case it might be more difficult to persuade them your stay will be temporary, however I think you are actually in a better position now : you can say for example "yes I have declared immigrant intent, and I plan to use my DV selection to enter legally when I am able" - so you can show it would be basically stupid to become an illegal immigrant when you have a legal option open to you.

That's a good point, I never thought of it before. So do you think answering that "in the meantime I don't plan to immigrate to the US, but maybe later" is a safe answer? Also what is the definition of immigrant intent? Does it apply to applying for the lottery or submitting DS-260? Because a friend of mine is telling me that the mere act of applying for the DV lottery is immigrant intent and when I enter the US with a non-immigrant visa it will become "dual intent" which is illegal (regardless whether I want stay illegally or not).

Thanks Susie! :)

That's a good point, I never thought of it before. So do you think answering that "in the meantime I don't plan to immigrate to the US, but maybe later" is a safe answer? Also what is the definition of immigrant intent? Does it apply to applying for the lottery or submitting DS-260? Because a friend of mine is telling me that the mere act of applying for the DV lottery is immigrant intent and when I enter the US with a non-immigrant visa it will become "dual intent" which is illegal (regardless whether I want stay illegally or not).

Thanks Susie! :)

Your friend apparently does not know the meaning of dual intent. Entering the US with a NIV while having plans to pursue permanent residency later on does NOT become dual intent!

Entering the DV by filling out the eDV application does not constitute immigrant intent. One is only deemed to have demonstrated immigrant intent when a one follows up on their selection by filing/submitting DS-260. This us the actual form used in telling the US government you'll like to apply for an IV.

Hi Everyone and congrats to those who got the nod for DV2015.

Britsimon and others who have helped countless people on this forum, a massive thank you, the advice you share is priceless.

So for those new selectees, here is what I believe is the process for DV2015 winners, if anything is incorrect please let us know!

1. Find out Case Number (CN) from acceptance notification available only online.
2. Decide whether to do Consular Processing (CP) or, if currently in the US, to adjust immigration status (AOS).
3. Regardless of whether doing CP or AOS, submit form DS-260 online (now only available online, open May 19). This form goes to the KCC for processing.

.... then, assuming everything is correct and accepted by KCC...

4. Wait until your case number becomes current by checking the monthly visa bulletins (VB). Interviews for DV2015 only begin in Oct 2014 and run until Sept 2015 (or until the diversity visa quota is filled).
5. Once your CN becomes current AND your DS-260 has been processed, KCC will automatically schedule an interview time for you and inform applicants of that time about 6-8 weeks before the interview.
6. (For CP only) Before the interview, arrange for police checks and do a medical exam from an authorized doctor.
7. Attend the interview with supporting documents.
8. Wait for the Consulate to return passport with Visa.
8. Enter the USA within 6 months of the Medical Exam to activate Greencard.
9. Receive Greencard in the mail 2-6 weeks after arriving.

Does this seem accurate to people? Any corrections or additions would be fantastic.

A few questions ... I am in the oceania group OC0011XX and so I imagine that my CN will become current in May or June next year. Does this mean that there is no rush for me to submit my DS-260 or should I submit everything as soon as possible?

I live in New York and have several overseas trips planned in the rest of this year, will applying for the Diversity Visa affect my ability to travel out of the US, and if so is it advisable to hold off submitting my DS-260 until after I get back to NY (Sept or Oct this year)?

Thanks everyone and good luck to all...

jw
like..

Your friend apparently does not know the meaning of dual intent. Entering the US with a NIV while having plans to pursue permanent residency later on does NOT become dual intent!

Entering the DV by filling out the eDV application does not constitute immigrant intent. One is only deemed to have demonstrated immigrant intent when a one follows up on their selection by filing/submitting DS-260. This us the actual form used in telling the US government you'll like to apply for an IV.

Wow, thanks Sm1smom! That's a relief! :D

However do you think it's a good idea to re-apply for DV-2016 before entering the US (without filling DS-260 for DV-2015), with taking into consideration what I mentioned above about the secondary inspection thing?

That is a good summary. From Step 5 onward the process is very different for aos. So - it would be best to stop aos people reading right there as a relatively small percentage of people doing aos.

For your own case, yes, travelling out of the US can affect you at certain points during your aos process. Depending on what sort of visa you have you might be best to delay your DS260 submission. I suggest you start logging in to the DV2015 AOS thread here, and ask Sm1smom for clarity about that (with some more detail about what visa you are on currently).

As you have rightly understood, there is no rush to submit the DS260. Your number does indeed mean you have to wait until May-ish - so your latest submission of the DS260 will probably be around Jan of next year - plenty of time to wait and get more info on how the process works.
great information... Http://www.groomsspeech.org

Wow, thanks Sm1smom! That's a relief! :D

However do you think it's a good idea to re-apply for DV-2016 before entering the US (without filling DS-260 for DV-2015), with taking into consideration what I mentioned above about the secondary inspection thing?

Absolutely. I would re-apply for DV-2016 if I was in your shoes and I had a high 2015 CN.

Absolutely. I would re-apply for DV-2016 if I was in your shoes and I had a high 2015 CN.
So is it possible to reapply for DV-2016 even if we are selected for DV-2015 (but with a big CS)? The US Global Green Card site I used to the former inscription told me it wasn't necessary because we had all chances to pass it this year. But they are pulling my leg I suppose...

I'll be applying for DV2016. My number is good but I'm not taking any chances on this. Thankfully in OC, we're a good chance of being selected.

Thanks Sm1smom! :)
One last question: When should I file DS-260 after departing the States? Can I file right away or do I have to wait for a period of time after leaving?

Last edited:
So is it possible to reapply for DV-2016 even if we are selected for DV-2015 (but with a big CS)? The US Global Green Card site I used to the former inscription told me it wasn't necessary because we had all chances to pass it this year. But they are pulling my leg I suppose...

Yes it is possible. It's actually a good idea for those with mud-range to high CN to take advantage of the next application period when it comes around. And frankly speaking, you don't need an agency to apply for you, you should be able to do it yourself. The form is quite simple and straightforward.

Thanks Sm1smom! :)
One last question: When should I file DS-260 after departing the States? Can I file right away or do I have to wait for a period of time after leaving?

You can file it right after you leave the US, no waiting period applies in your case.

Hello everyone, Congrats on your initial selection. 3 specific questions:

1) 2015EU00012xxx - is it a good number ? What would be the expected interview date ?
2) I made some mistakes while filling out DS-260 form, mixed up some countries, put in my mother's maiden name instead of her name on my birth certificate, forgot to add a place of work even if I qualify on the basis of educational qualitifications. Would all places of work would be that important on the form even if I was not employed on the basis of my qualifications ?I already submitted my DS - 260 online. Would it be a good idea to contact KCC and ask them to unlock the form so that all the corrections/updates should be made ?
3) Was there a procedure in place to provide J-1 trainees with Alien Registration Number about 10 years ago. I was in the USA in 2001 and now I cannot remember if I was issued with Alien Registration Number at the time or not and obviously this answer needs to be given on DS - 260 form. I contacted my sponsors to get an answer but no replay. Any answers ?

Thanks for your expertise and your support. They are invaluable.

Hi everybody here

Another little question concerning place of birth of parents for the DS-260.
Algeria was a french department before 1962. So french people born there before this date had on their ID: "born in France".
In the ds-260, they ask for place of birth of the parents, town and country. If one french parent was born in Alger, Algeria before 1962, have we to put "Alger" as a town but "France" or "Algeria" as a country ? At this time it was France, actually, so this answer would be conform of the ID. But Algeria is now independent so everyone know that Alger is in Algeria, not in France. But the US may hunk that the parent is an Algerian citizen, which is not. The way to avoid the question is to put "unknown" on both cases but we actually know and it could be an omission.
So what is your advice?

And I dare frightening ask again a former question about US level of "vocational school". Is it lower or higher than High School? Because, one again, we put "vocational school" on the original demand in october 2013 but my spouse is getting her High School degree in june. In France vocational school is lower than HS, so do we have to put on the DS-260?

Thanks a lot you guys

Hi everybody here

Another little question concerning place of birth of parents for the DS-260.
Algeria was a french department before 1962. So french people born there before this date had on their ID: "born in France".
In the ds-260, they ask for place of birth of the parents, town and country. If one french parent was born in Alger, Algeria before 1962, have we to put "Alger" as a town but "France" or "Algeria" as a country ? At this time it was France, actually, so this answer would be conform of the ID. But Algeria is now independent so everyone know that Alger is in Algeria, not in France. But the US may hunk that the parent is an Algerian citizen, which is not. The way to avoid the question is to put "unknown" on both cases but we actually know and it could be an omission.
So what is your advice?

And I dare frightening ask again a former question about US level of "vocational school". Is it lower or higher than High School? Because, one again, we put "vocational school" on the original demand in october 2013 but my spouse is getting her High School degree in june. In France vocational school is lower than HS, so do we have to put on the DS-260?

Thanks a lot you guys

I would answer Alger, France - but put Algeria if you prefer. It won't cause problem either way.

In the USA vocational school is after high school, but us vocational school does not meet the requirement. Just focus on high school.

Hello everyone, Congrats on your initial selection. 3 specific questions:

1) 2015EU00012xxx - is it a good number ? What would be the expected interview date ?
2) I made some mistakes while filling out DS-260 form, mixed up some countries, put in my mother's maiden name instead of her name on my birth certificate, forgot to add a place of work even if I qualify on the basis of educational qualitifications. Would all places of work would be that important on the form even if I was not employed on the basis of my qualifications ?I already submitted my DS - 260 online. Would it be a good idea to contact KCC and ask them to unlock the form so that all the corrections/updates should be made ?
3) Was there a procedure in place to provide J-1 trainees with Alien Registration Number about 10 years ago. I was in the USA in 2001 and now I cannot remember if I was issued with Alien Registration Number at the time or not and obviously this answer needs to be given on DS - 260 form. I contacted my sponsors to get an answer but no replay. Any answers ?

Thanks for your expertise and your support. They are invaluable.

1. Great number. Interview around December.
2. Ask to unlock the form and make the corrections.
3. Don't worry about the A number.