• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

1. Late next year. That number has just gone current for DV2014 - so 2015 will be about the same. I'm assuming you are not from Nepal.
2. No, you should be fine as you already have the B1/B2.
3. Good decision, file it when you get back. No big rush - if you file in Feb you will be fine - March/April would still be fine.
4. Yes - re-apply just in case.

Thanks Simon!
No, I'm from neither Nepal nor Iran.
Regarding Q4, I was worried that re-applying for DV-2016 might show immigrant intent when entering the US, especially if I was subjected to the more detailed "secondary screening" (already happened for me once!) :/ Do you have any info regarding this matter?

Thanks again! :)

Thanks Simon!
No, I'm from neither Nepal nor Iran.
Regarding Q4, I was worried that re-applying for DV-2016 might show immigrant intent when entering the US, especially if I was subjected to the more detailed "secondary screening" (already happened for me once!) :/ Do you have any info regarding this matter?

Thanks again! :)

How is applying again more risky than the first time and winning?

It is generally considered that returning the 260 form is the point where you show immigrant intent.

Just carry proof of ties to home.

How is applying again more risky than the first time and winning?

It is generally considered that returning the 260 form is the point where you show immigrant intent.

Just carry proof of ties to home.

Well, I thought I'd say that I won but don't want to pursue it (in case I was asked)
I'm sure you know better, thanks for your advice!

Well, I thought I'd say that I won but don't want to pursue it (in case I was asked)
I'm sure you know better, thanks for your advice!

Well if asked you can honestly point out that that it will be about a year - 2016 before you could move. Again it is most important to show ties to home...

Hi all.
First and foremost, this is a great thread with so much helpful information.
I got selected for DV2015. I am currently residing in the united states under f 1 visa and so I plan to apply as AOS.
I already completed my form ds-260 and my confirmation page says to call a local uscis field office for appointments and next steps. Kcc sent my case to uscis since I'm residing in the united states. I am having a hard time understanding the procedure and how to go about the whole thing.
1) statistics. 7%(3,500visas) awarded to each qualifying country. Does this mean your chances are higher of getting a visa if only 200 people applied in your country and 186 got selected?
2.) My case number is AF00051XXX what does that mean when it comes to having a low or high case number.
3) how to read the Visa bulletin, I do not understand it either.
Responses are much appreciated.

1. The limit doesn't really help low entry/selectee countries, it just limits the high entry/selectee countries.
2. It is about halfway. AF numbers for 2015 are probably around 100k. So 51k is good - and could expect to go current around June/July of next year. If you are doing aos at that time you can submit your paperwork just after you see your number became current in the VB. You can see previous years progression at this link http://www.dv-info.site40.net/
3. Scroll down to the DV section where you see the regions and their cutoff numbers. Your region is AF, so watch the monthly change in the VB over the course of the next year and when the AF number listed is higher than your number you will be considered "current".

I advise you to click the link to the spreadsheet on the first page of this post which is specifically geared toward aos cases - http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2015-aos-only-new-thread.7/page-5#post-2342824

Also, finally please don't post your question multiple times - people will get to your post as they can.

Edouard,

I shudder at the thought of reopening this point - but I feel I must.

About your wifes education. As I believe I mentioned before, in the instructions for the DV lottery it says that if people are not qualified (by birth country as the first requirement and the second requirement of education OR work experience) - those people should not enter the DV lottery.

However, I re-read the rules and noticed this passage

"9 FAM 42.33 N7 “HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION OR
EQUIVALENT”
(CT:VISA-1768; 10-31-2011)
The consular office must adjudicate the applicant’s qualifications under this
requirement. In order to register for the DV program, the alien need not prove
that this requirement is met. The applicant must, however, meet this requirement
at the time of visa application. "

This seems to suggest that as long as the education requirement is met at the point the visa application is made (the 260 submission) then it won't matter that the requirement was NOT met at the point of the eDV entry.

For this reason alone I would delay submitting your 260 forms until after your wife has passed her course. That delay could improve your chances later.
This is a great novel, Britsimon, and I thank you to have spare time to find it. I think your interpretation is right and it makes sense. The dv260 submission must be the point where you got high school diploma, even you hadn't yet on the eDV entry. For instance my spouse passed recently an entrance examination for a University reserved to the High School graduates EVEN if they don't get yet their diploma. Just because the examination was in may and the HS exam results in july. The logic here is the same. If she get actually her High School diploma end of june, this will be ok for the consular office IF she returns the dv 260 AFTER the results, no matter she had'nt in time of eDV submission BECAUSE she had already the 2 years job experience, so it was not a cause of disqualification.
Another precision please, I know I've asked before but I did'n had an answer. What is the level in the US of "vocational school" vs "high School" because we put "vocational school" on her eDV submission. In France, as I said, this level of professional formation is lower than High School. So in this case, if she get her High School diploma, she will only have to mention this very one, right?
Finally, why did you "shudder" at the thought of reopening this point? Because you are (again) of a GREAT HELP!
Posts of sm1smom too, by the way, but, I don't know why, she seems very irritate by my questions or commentaries. Is it a problem of different languages and my lack of practice in english nuances? I apologized to her (even I don't ever intend to say anything mean) but she didn't react. Once again you all volunteer moderators do a GREAT job and you deserve many thanks.

I am from Nepal Selected for DV 2015 My Case no is AS 87**. I came to know that around 4991 are selected from nepal and all the cases nos are below 10k. what is my chances for second letter.

I am from Nepal Selected for DV 2015 My Case no is AS 87**. I came to know that around 4991 are selected from nepal and all the cases nos are below 10k. what is my chances for second letter.

Yolur chances are very good indeed. Given that your number has already been exceeded for DV2014, you can pretty reliable plan on a July/August interview next year.

The reduction in draw time selectee limits down to 5k (as opposed to the 6k limit previously in place) is a sensible measure - at least for Nepal (but very questionable in other countries). Nepal has very high response and success rates, so 4991 selectees will most likely still be enough to hit the country limit - or get pretty close. In 2014 the extra 1000 selectees above 5k will, sadly, miss out - a fact that some are only just starting to realize.

Yolur chances are very good indeed. Given that your number has already been exceeded for DV2014, you can pretty reliable plan on a July/August interview next year.

The reduction in draw time selectee limits down to 5k (as opposed to the 6k limit previously in place) is a sensible measure - at least for Nepal (but very questionable in other countries). Nepal has very high response and success rates, so 4991 selectees will most likely still be enough to hit the country limit - or get pretty close. In 2014 the extra 1000 selectees above 5k will, sadly, miss out - a fact that some are only just starting to realize.

It means the success and response rate is 70 % in nepal that 3500 are going to issues visas out of 5k till September for 2014 and 2015.

It means the success and response rate is 70 % in nepal that 3500 are going to issues visas out of 5k till September for 2014 and 2015.

Well I think we will see Nepal get more than 3500 visas (because of NACARA). To be clear I am not saying there will be no sad selectees in DV2015 - I would not want to be number 4991 - BUT with your number I very much doubt you are at that number.

Well I think we will see Nepal get more than 3500 visas (because of NACARA). To be clear I am not saying there will be no sad selectees in DV2015 - I would not want to be number 4991 - BUT with your number I very much doubt you are at that number.[/QUO

The selectee are below 10k shows, my case ranking is little bit below from 4991.i expect around 4600. let me know your assumption.

How do you find out how many visas were allocated to your country in the previous years? Do you mind sending me a link? Or is there one already? Thanks

This is a great novel, Britsimon, and I thank you to have spare time to find it. I think your interpretation is right and it makes sense. The dv260 submission must be the point where you got high school diploma, even you hadn't yet on the eDV entry. For instance my spouse passed recently an entrance examination for a University reserved to the High School graduates EVEN if they don't get yet their diploma. Just because the examination was in may and the HS exam results in july. The logic here is the same. If she get actually her High School diploma end of june, this will be ok for the consular office IF she returns the dv 260 AFTER the results, no matter she had'nt in time of eDV submission BECAUSE she had already the 2 years job experience, so it was not a cause of disqualification.
Another precision please, I know I've asked before but I did'n had an answer. What is the level in the US of "vocational school" vs "high School" because we put "vocational school" on her eDV submission. In France, as I said, this level of professional formation is lower than High School. So in this case, if she get her High School diploma, she will only have to mention this very one, right?
Finally, why did you "shudder" at the thought of reopening this point? Because you are (again) of a GREAT HELP!
Posts of sm1smom too, by the way, but, I don't know why, she seems very irritate by my questions or commentaries. Is it a problem of different languages and my lack of practice in english nuances? I apologized to her (even I don't ever intend to say anything mean) but she didn't react. Once again you all volunteer moderators do a GREAT job and you deserve many thanks.

I wasn't irritated by your questions or commentaries. I also do understand that English isn't your first language and you're making a great deal of effort to interact with us all in it, I commend you for that. I most certainly was very upset by your post in which you insinuated I asked you to lie. Basically that was accusing me of conspiring to make you commit immigration fraud which is a very serious offense, it is something I could easily get deported for. I certainly wasn't going to take kindly to being accused of the very thing I tell people not to do. Anyway, you have since apologized (yes, more than once) and I'm happy to say your apology is accepted. I'm willing to charge it to a language barrier issue, so we can move forward from this. I'm more than happy to answer questions you may have in the future, if I know the answer(s) to them.

Oh yes, regarding some of the phrases I used which you were asking asking about:

"pass the baton" - that simply means I was going to step back and allow Simon to answer your questions

"Betty Do Gooder" - just an expression to describe someone (maybe a woman?) who is always quick and always willing to help other people :oops:

So everything is good now :)

I wasn't irritated by your questions or commentaries. I also do understand that English isn't your first language and you're making a great deal of effort to interact with us all in it, I commend you for that. I most certainly was very upset by your post in which you insinuated I asked you to lie. Basically that was accusing me of conspiring to make you commit immigration fraud which is a very serious offense, it is something I could easily get deported for. I certainly wasn't going to take kindly to being accused of the very thing I tell people not to do. Anyway, you have since apologized (yes, more than once) and I'm happy to say your apology is accepted. I'm willing to charge it to a language barrier issue, so we can move forward from this. I'm more than happy to answer questions you may have in the future, if I know the answer(s) to them.

Oh yes, regarding some of the phrases I used which you were asking asking about:

"pass the baton" - that simply means I was going to step back and allow Simon to answer your questions

"Betty Do Gooder" - just an expression to describe someone (maybe a woman?) who is always quick and always willing to help other people :oops:

So everything is good now :)
I'm happy that everything's clear between us now! No offense, then. Once again, (and I understand it might have upset you) the misunderstood was between the differences of appreciations between 1) what does Law recommends 2) what truth has not to be tell because Law doesn't ask for 3) what omission wan be considered as a lie. On the question of children to declare or not I invoqued 2) that is, we'd better to avoid to tell certain questions because it's not the purpose (for instance former children adopted by other parents or children over 21). Britismon warned me about the fact that an omission is a kind of lie. I agreed with him on the ethic basis, but argued about the fact Law sometimes need to simplify things (and therefore omit certain facts). You (over?) reacted about that and, yes, my assumption was too direct. What I meant was that, according to the get of Law you invoqued, this omission wasn't a lie but a correct way to answer just the question. So it NEVER was question of fraud or anything of that. Once again, I didn't knew the text you mentioned and it's very clear to me now. So let's start on new basis, with all confidence and trust needed. And you are a very good Betty Do Gooder (I'll remember this expression!) ;)

There is no deadline, other than having enough time for KCC to process it before either the fiscal year ends or visas run out (which if it happens would almost certainly be in Sept anyway). Even if you "miss" your interview month and only send in your form after you are current, they will just schedule you into the next round once your forms have been processed.

Is there an echo in here?

I am certain this post was copied and pasted from one of my previous answers....

!

But that would be a lie, right? It is highly inadvisable to ever lie to a US immigration official. Especially if you do actually want to immigrate one day...you never know when these things come back to bite you. I'm pretty sure they make notes of answers...

You mentioned you were pulled aside for secondary screening before. Do you know the reason they did this?

But that would be a lie, right? It is highly inadvisable to ever lie to a US immigration official. Especially if you do actually want to immigrate one day...you never know when these things come back to bite you. I'm pretty sure they make notes of answers...

You mentioned you were pulled aside for secondary screening before. Do you know the reason they did this?

I think because of my nationality (Syrian), which means that it will probably happen again, that's why I was asking whether submitting DS-260 before entering the US, or re-applying for DV-2016 might be risky.