• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Hi again
What is exactly the level of "vocational school" and white kind of job is related? Is it lower or higher than "High School" level? Because in France, professional formations (equivalent to vocational school I suppose) are lower than High School. So if I've put "vocational school" on the first demand for my spouse, the fact to get her High school degree being higher (I suppose), it is the one to mention on the DS-260, isn't it?
And what about to have followed a cursus level (vocational for instance) without getting the degree? (for instance 1 year study instead of 2, or follow the cursus and don't pass the exam…). Is it a good thing to mention it (and how to say the degree was not obtained) or not?
Thaaanks...

I tell you that when we'll be finally in the States we'll invite you to have a drink at home, guys! Cause your help on this forum is precious… :rolleyes:

So, another question about this DS-260 according to the educational level and degrees. Have we to list the diplomas in the native language (french in that case), as they are on official papers or do we have to translate it in english?
for instance, the french "Licencié en Droit" from 1976 is equivalent of "Master 1 of Law". So, what do you think?
Thaaaaanks a lot.;)

I would use English.

Another question…. :confused: Sorry, I'm abusing, I know…
They ask on the ds-260 if we had obtained former visas for the USA. In fact I had one during my studies in 1977 :eek: for 3 months but the journey had been cancelled so I didn't use this visa. Is it so obsolete that it is not necessary to mention it or have I to do as well? And if so, as far as my old passport of 1977 is lost for many years, how to get the precise authorizations ?
I know, it's cutting the hairs in four (do you use this expression in english?) :cool:

You should list it and say details unknown.

I would use English.
Thanks Britsimon,
I think you're right, but in this case I have not only to translate the french certificate of diploma but to find an us equivalent, right? That is "High School" for "Baccalaureat", "Master 1 in Law" for "Licence en Droit"; "Master 2 in Cinema" for "Diplome d'Etudes Approfondies in Cimetaographe" and son on, right? But when we'll go for the interview, we'll produce the french documents, with a translation by an official translator, right? And what will happen if the translation in english of this guy is different from mine?

Thank you for your advices. Apparently there is some difference of opinion between usamommy2015 on one side and sm1smom and Britsimon on the other. I understand both points of views but need to know what is the US administration position!
So, let's resume the situation. My spouse had a child before we met, and for personal reasons was unable to assume it, so the child has been adopted by mother an stepfather of my spouse. By now she has no longer legal rights on the child, and has no more links with her family (nor mother, stepfather or child). The child was born in 2003 so is 11 now. On the first application in oct 2013 my spouse didn't mention any children information, and it was accepted like that : "CHILDREN INFORMATION: You have no children information." So we didn't lie or anything like that. But on the DS-260 we have either to say "NO", following the sm1smom advice, wich is easier, or "YES", according to usamommy2015, and then precise the child will not emigrate. The problem is that on the DS-260 you can't explain your life and say the child was adopted, so the US admn may ask: "Wait a minute! You have a child of 11 and let it aside? We don't trust you and consider you are cheating us!" And, sincerely, my spouse doesn't like to have to explain herself or justify her past life which was no good memories…

My turn now. I had also a child from a former marriage, born in 1988, so the child is 26 now and independent. On the former demand I did',t mention it because it asked for children under 21. Have I now to precise on the ds-260 the existence of this child or not? This is not very clear for me.

Thanks a lot everybody, you are really of a great help!:)

As we have already explained - this is not something we have come across before because it is rare. We have given you advice and usamommy has given you hers. To get the us administration point of view you have to either pay a lawyer that might know, or go through the process and see what happens. You have to make your own decision - you are responsible.

In general, You seem to think that not mentioning things is not a lie (like the old visa, or your thoughts about the original DV entry). What you need to understand is that an omission is a type of lie too.

As we have already explained - this is not something we have come across before because it is rare. We have given you advice and usamommy has given you hers. To get the us administration point of view you have to either pay a lawyer that might know, or go through the process and see what happens. You have to make your own decision - you are responsible.

In general, You seem to think that not mentioning things is not a lie (like the old visa, or your thoughts about the original DV entry). What you need to understand is that an omission is a type of lie too.

A lie by omission is a lie, you're right. But if I follow your precedent point of view, and the one of sm1smom, we'd better to answer "no" about the child, bout if we say "yes but" during the interview, it can be a problem, I think. So I wait for other points of views and see what is better. Ask a lawyer would be the most secure, but an US one, of course, because in France they don' t know ! Is there a site or something in order to find a GOOD and SERIOUS lawyer for such questions?

A lie by omission is a lie, you're right. But if I follow your precedent point of view, and the one of sm1smom, we'd better to answer "no" about the child, bout if we say "yes but" during the interview, it can be a problem, I think. So I wait for other points of views and see what is better. Ask a lawyer would be the most secure, but an US one, of course, because in France they don' t know ! Is there a site or something in order to find a GOOD and SERIOUS lawyer for such questions?

Yes you are correct. There are two cases whereMom and I have recommended a lie. One is about the address thing on the 260 and the other is about your spouses child. In both cases we explained fully the reasoning.

As for finding a lawyer, try google.

Oh wow! Bravo! Fantastic!

You know, this is the second time you've come out to say my response to your queries are more or less asking you to lie. I opted to overlook the first one and foolishly still went ahead to answer your other question to the extent of providing a link regarding how the US law defines adopted children. Basically that an adopted child is not viewed as the child of the birth parent (except under certain circumstances which I'm not going to bother to explain here since it doesn't look like it applies to you anyway), and your response is I asked you to lie on your form?

Well, I guess it serves me right for trying to be a Betty Do-Gooder!

You know, this is the second time you've come out to say my response to your queries are more or less asking you to lie. I opted to overlook the first one and foolishly still went ahead to answer your other question to the extent of providing a link regarding how the US law defines adopted children. Basically that an adopted child is not viewed as the child of the birth parent (except under certain circumstances which I'm not going to bother to explain here since it doesn't look like it applies to you anyway), and your response is I asked you to lie on your form?

Hum, sorry Sm1smom, I don't know if this a problem of language or of way of thinking, but it seems to me that you misunderstand my topics and I am pretty sad about it. :oops: I NEVER thought you were me asking to lie! Britsimon talked about omission. And yes, not to say you have a child which is no longer your child because he has ben adopted is an omission (a form of lie, according to Britsimon opinion). But if I follow you, and if as you mentioned it the children adopted by other parents are not considered any more as your children, so this omission is necessary!

So please relax and don't get so angry with me. Your advices are of great help and if I'm asking more is because I have to be sure. You know, as Montaigne said four centuries ago, the truth is never the same here and there or abroad.

PS: For instance, I don't understand at all what you mean by "a Betty Do-Gooder", or, precedently, "to take the baton" or something like that. There are certainly current expressions in english but impossible to translate, I think. This maybe cause misunderstandings between us. Sorry about that, I do my best to improve and understand, even if my tongue (or my fingers) doesn't follow always my thinking. ;)

I read carefully again the the official text you provided me SM1smom (and I thank you for that) and I agree with you: if a child, according to the US administration is an unmarried child under 21 OR an adopted child, then the children above 2 or given up to adoption are no more ones' children according to the US way of thinking. So it's no longer an omission (and certainly no longer a lie). Take it like this: One's had a child (in the passed). This child is no longer one's child (because over 21 or adopted by other parents). So the answer is, in both cases: NO, I don't have a child (meaning "I no longer have a child"). This make sense to me now, thanks Sm1smom.

You should list it and say details unknown.
Impossible. When you say on the ds-260 that a visa had been delivered to you in the past, you need to put the exact date. But for me it was in 1976 and I no longer have my ancient passport. Anyway, it was a visa for 3 months that I never used because the journey of study has been cancelled. And in the US Embassy they don't even answer. So, what to do? Omission or what?

Impossible. When you say on the ds-260 that a visa had been delivered to you in the past, you need to put the exact date. But for me it was in 1976 and I no longer have my ancient passport. Anyway, it was a visa for 3 months that I never used because the journey of study has been cancelled. And in the US Embassy they don't even answer. So, what to do? Omission or what?

Do not omit it. You know it was 1976 - so just approximate the date - and be prepared to discuss it in the interview.

You're right, Britsimon, I confused myself on the beginning. But my wife leaved school for family reasons before 18 and so didn't had the opportunity to pass her Highschool by this time, as most of young people do. In France they created the "DAEU" wich is an absolute equivalent of High School (in US definition) open to people older than 18 and who want to continue their studies in University. She will get it for shure, with a good level (between 15 or 17/20), but only in july 2014. That's the problem!
Concerning the O database, I had an eye around but the definitions of the job is not exactly the same than in France. For instance, in the US you "have to write a good English", in France, this is a "good French". And so on…
So, as you said before, we have to focus on this creative working thing.
She has 5 contracts of editing (as a co-writer, me being the second one) signed in 2010 and 2011, for 5 books published. The first contract was signed in june 2010, the last in july 2011 but how you know you need about a year to write the book. So the last of the 5 was published in september 2012. So between june 2010 (first contract signed) and the publication of the last one (september 2012), you have 2 years and 3 months.
I would like to know in fact in wich terms the editor will have to explain this in a so-called "affidavit"…
Thanks again, Sir!

Edouard,

I shudder at the thought of reopening this point - but I feel I must.

About your wifes education. As I believe I mentioned before, in the instructions for the DV lottery it says that if people are not qualified (by birth country as the first requirement and the second requirement of education OR work experience) - those people should not enter the DV lottery.

However, I re-read the rules and noticed this passage

"9 FAM 42.33 N7 “HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION OR
EQUIVALENT”
(CT:VISA-1768; 10-31-2011)
The consular office must adjudicate the applicant’s qualifications under this
requirement. In order to register for the DV program, the alien need not prove
that this requirement is met. The applicant must, however, meet this requirement
at the time of visa application. "

This seems to suggest that as long as the education requirement is met at the point the visa application is made (the 260 submission) then it won't matter that the requirement was NOT met at the point of the eDV entry.

For this reason alone I would delay submitting your 260 forms until after your wife has passed her course. That delay could improve your chances later.

That is a good summary. From Step 5 onward the process is very different for aos. So - it would be best to stop aos people reading right there as a relatively small percentage of people doing aos.

For your own case, yes, travelling out of the US can affect you at certain points during your aos process. Depending on what sort of visa you have you might be best to delay your DS260 submission. I suggest you start logging in to the DV2015 AOS thread here, and ask Sm1smom for clarity about that (with some more detail about what visa you are on currently).

As you have rightly understood, there is no rush to submit the DS260. Your number does indeed mean you have to wait until May-ish - so your latest submission of the DS260 will probably be around Jan of next year - plenty of time to wait and get more info on how the process works.
Hello,
Hello everyone,

I created this forum in order for us to share any information about DV 2015 winners.
You guys can post any inquiry you have.

I hope we can work together until we get the Visa.

Cheers DV 2015 Winners Family !!!

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/671695982883784/
That is a good summary. From Step 5 onward the process is very different for aos. So - it would be best to stop aos people reading right there as a relatively small percentage of people doing aos.

For your own case, yes, travelling out of the US can affect you at certain points during your aos process. Depending on what sort of visa you have you might be best to delay your DS260 submission. I suggest you start logging in to the DV2015 AOS thread here, and ask Sm1smom for clarity about that (with some more detail about what visa you are on currently).

As you have rightly understood, there is no rush to submit the DS260. Your number does indeed mean you have to wait until May-ish - so your latest submission of the DS260 will probably be around Jan of next year - plenty of time to wait and get more info on how the process works.
Hi,
I got selected too and I am currently residing in San Jose California as an f 1 student. I want to apply as AOS since I seem to qualify. I already completed my form ds -260. Where do I go from here? My confirmation page says to call my local uscis to ask them on how to make my appointment and get instructions on what to do next.
I understand that no more than 7% of the visas which is (3,500visas) will be given to any one country. So does this mean that if less than 200 people in your country applied and 186 got selected the chances of all of them getting their visas is higher if they do everything right and on time? I was just thinking statistics here.
Please help, I am sort of stuck on where to go from here. Thank you

Hi all.
First and foremost, this is a great thread with so much helpful information.
I got selected for DV2015. I am currently residing in the united states under f 1 visa and so I plan to apply as AOS.
I already completed my form ds-260 and my confirmation page says to call a local uscis field office for appointments and next steps. Kcc sent my case to uscis since I'm residing in the united states. I am having a hard time understanding the procedure and how to go about the whole thing.
1) statistics. 7%(3,500visas) awarded to each qualifying country. Does this mean your chances are higher of getting a visa if only 200 people applied in your country and 186 got selected?
2.) My case number is AF00051XXX what does that mean when it comes to having a low or high case number.
3) how to read the Visa bulletin, I do not understand it either.
Responses are much appreciated.

Hello guys! First of all, thank you for being so helpful and for sparing much of your time to answer people's questions, this forum has been of immense help especially to DV newbies like me! :)
Here's my complicated and probably unique situation, any help from you guys would be much appreciated!

I am a DV-2015 winner, CN: AS108**, I am a 23 year old medical student, and hopefully I will graduate from medical school early next year (Feb/Mar). Here are my questions:

1. When should I expect an interview?
2. I currently hold a valid B1/B2 visa (will expire in June 2015), and I plan to travel to the US early next year (Jan/Feb) to pass my USMLE Step 2 CS exam (one of the exams required to be able to practice medicine in the US, and it must be taken there), should I expect any trouble when entering the US?
3. After going through multiple threads, I decided not to file DS-260 at least until I return from the States. When would be an appropriate time to apply DS-260, assuming I departed the US in February?
Do I have to leave earlier than February to let the KCC have more time to process my DS-260?
4. Do you advice me to reapply for DV-2016 (Just in case anything went wrong this year)?

Sorry for the too many questions, but I'm really worried. I wouldn't have asked had I not known that you amazing people will be here to help! ;)
Thanks again so much! :)

Hello guys! First of all, thank you for being so helpful and for sparing much of your time to answer people's questions, this forum has been of immense help especially to DV newbies like me! :)
Here's my complicated and probably unique situation, any help from you guys would be much appreciated!

I am a DV-2015 winner, CN: AS108**, I am a 23 year old medical student, and hopefully I will graduate from medical school early next year (Feb/Mar). Here are my questions:

1. When should I expect an interview?
2. I currently hold a valid B1/B2 visa (will expire in June 2015), and I plan to travel to the US early next year (Jan/Feb) to pass my USMLE Step 2 CS exam (one of the exams required to be able to practice medicine in the US, and it must be taken there), should I expect any trouble when entering the US?
3. After going through multiple threads, I decided not to file DS-260 at least until I return from the States. When would be an appropriate time to apply DS-260, assuming I departed the US in February?
Do I have to leave earlier than February to let the KCC have more time to process my DS-260?
4. Do you advice me to reapply for DV-2016 (Just in case anything went wrong this year)?

Sorry for the too many questions, but I'm really worried. I wouldn't have asked had I not known that you amazing people will be here to help! ;)
Thanks again so much! :)

1. Late next year. That number has just gone current for DV2014 - so 2015 will be about the same. I'm assuming you are not from Nepal.
2. No, you should be fine as you already have the B1/B2.
3. Good decision, file it when you get back. No big rush - if you file in Feb you will be fine - March/April would still be fine.
4. Yes - re-apply just in case.