• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

What does the form DS-260 processing actually involve ?

"Background checks"
Checking photos and details against other entries (current and previous years)
and....

perhaps other things. But of course - we can only guess. They don't publish the specifics. In a few months time (before May 5) DV2015 DS260 processing will probably last 2 to 3 weeks.

Hello everyone,

I am a DV2015 selectee.

I'm glad I found this forum. Very informative indeed.

I have a question regarding certified translation. From what I understand, a certified translation is a translation accompanied by an affidavit by the translator that a) he/she is a competent translator; and b) the translation is accurate. My question is, can anyone who meets these criteria provide certified translation? My uncle is a university professor who is fluent in both languages. He is willing to do the translation for me and add an affidavit confirming that he is a competent translator and that the translation is accurate. Would this be acceptable?

I appreciate your help forum mates.

Hi Daphane,
Don't complicate things for your self and add another layer of doubt and stress, use this website https://www.rev.com it is fantastic everything will be done online plus they're certified USCIS https://www.rev.com/translation/faq?Type=Certified I used it for all my document the turnaround for the translation is less than 24h.
I highly recommended all my documents were accepted by the consulate.
Thanks

Hello everyone,

I am a DV2015 selectee.

I'm glad I found this forum. Very informative indeed.

I have a question regarding certified translation. From what I understand, a certified translation is a translation accompanied by an affidavit by the translator that a) he/she is a competent translator; and b) the translation is accurate. My question is, can anyone who meets these criteria provide certified translation? My uncle is a university professor who is fluent in both languages. He is willing to do the translation for me and add an affidavit confirming that he is a competent translator and that the translation is accurate. Would this be acceptable?

I appreciate your help forum mates.

Anyone (preferably not a relative though) who is competent in both English and the language of the document can do the translation provided the translation is done word for word, contains a signed attestation at the bottom of the document that the translator is competent in both languages; or the translated document is accompanied by a signed affidavit attesting to the competency of the translation - this 2nd option is what I would recommend for the CP applicants. A sample affidavit can be found in one of the links below:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter4-14.html

http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/affidavit-document-english-translation.html

Okay, so I was won of the winners of this lottery but even though reading the info on the offical site I can't find on this question.

How much money will I need to prove I ain't becoming a public charge? I currently have roughly 5k usd, is that enough? If not, I'll need a sponsor; you think it's OK to find a sponsor after the interview (and get the Green Card once the ambassady have recieved the documents looked it through)? And the sponsor himself, will he need to do anything else than sending in the form "I-134" + Tax return + proof of income? Like attending at some meeting, answer questions on telephone or similar?

I'd be grateful for an answer

Okay, so I was won of the winners of this lottery but even though reading the info on the offical site I can't find on this question.

How much money will I need to prove I ain't becoming a public charge? I currently have roughly 5k usd, is that enough? If not, I'll need a sponsor; you think it's OK to find a sponsor after the interview (and get the Green Card once the ambassady have recieved the documents looked it through)? And the sponsor himself, will he need to do anything else than sending in the form "I-134" + Tax return + proof of income? Like attending at some meeting, answer questions on telephone or similar?

I'd be grateful for an answer
You would need around USD10k if you are a single applicant, USD20k if you married with no children, or around USD25k for a family of 4 (a husband, a wife, and 2 children) to prove that you won't become a public charge. If you don't that much funds, then you are advised to get a sponsor. Your sponsor does not have to attend any meeting or anything like that. They'll just have to send you the I-134 form along with the supporting documents you listed above and that should suffice. However, keep in mind that your sponsor must be legally resident in the USA and have an income in excess of the federal poverty level, accounting for their own family and you (plus family).

To add to the above, you can do it after the interview but that could mean a delay and requiring a new visa number if the case goes over a month end, which could become a problem if your number is high and numbers are running out. Better to get the I134 in advance, but not offer it to the CO unless if he asks for it.

Last edited:
Hi DV2015 winner here.
My wife had a brief previous marriage (it was 10 years ago and lasted less than a year) and an other last name that she legally used during that time. We forgot about it when filling out the eDV application and didn't enter that name as an other name used. Also we are in US with a non-immigrant visa and I don't remember entering that name when filling out any form for our non-immigrant visa application, either. Hopefully our number will be current in a few months and I haven't submitted the DS 260, yet. What do you recommend? Being truthful is the key; but if I don't let them know about this honest mistake, would it affect the decision for giving an interview in the first place? Should I connect KCC?
Thanks a lot.

I'd recommend filling out the correct details on the DS260. If her other name comes up in the background check, as one would expect it would if they do it properly, her file will be flagged for not having included it.
If you submit a DS260 and your number is current you will get an interview, KCC does not do any adjudication.
Out of interest, what non-immigrant visa are you on?

I'd recommend filling out the correct details on the DS260. If her other name comes up in the background check, as one would expect it would if they do it properly, her file will be flagged for not having included it.
Out of interest, what non-immigrant visa are you on?
Thanks for the reply.
J-1 / J-2

hai i am dv winner in sri lanka.i am qualified from education (G.C.E.A/L) .My initial dv entry form i put my educational qualification is high school degree.it is any problem?

"Background checks"
Checking photos and details against other entries (current and previous years)
and....

perhaps other things. But of course - we can only guess. They don't publish the specifics. In a few months time (before May 5) DV2015 DS260 processing will probably last 2 to 3 weeks.

sorry i couldn't get the point about this sentence :
" Checking photos and details against other entries (current and previous years) "
you mean they check all times you entered the lottery and check them?! for example if you won after 10 years they check all these 10 years registration forms ?!
or just compare the form DS-260 with the form of entering lottery 2015 that you have been selected ?

sorry i couldn't get the point about this sentence :
" Checking photos and details against other entries (current and previous years) "
you mean they check all times you entered the lottery and check them?! for example if you won after 10 years they check all these 10 years registration forms ?!
or just compare the form DS-260 with the form of entering lottery 2015 that you have been selected ?

Yes, they will have previous entries saved on their computer systems, as well as all previous applications made for visas. Checking against these is part of the background check. They will also run the photo recognition software of the photo against these as well to see if applications had been made or granted under different names.

As per cut- off no. I'm worried if i would get 2nd letter or not. My CN is 7*** . And yes if i get it n luckily if i get into US then how long will it take to receive green card? Can I return back to own country for some task uncompleted like study? And of course will return to US aftr that??

As per cut- off no. I'm worried if i would get 2nd letter or not. My CN is 7*** . And yes if i get it n luckily if i get into US then how long will it take to receive green card? Can I return back to own country for some task uncompleted like study? And of course will return to US aftr that??
What is you region? Is it Asia? If so, you're safe and will most likely get an interview sometime around May/June next year. That number is considered safe for Africa, Europe, and Asia.
If you successfully pass your interview and travel to the U.S., you will get your GC around one month after entering the U.S. provided you pay your Green Card fee before you travel to the US. Some people had to wait a bit longer but not much.
You can return to your home country and take care of unfinished stuff back home. However, you should not remain outside the U.S. for more than 12 months.

Last edited:
Hi DV2015 winner here.
My wife had a brief previous marriage (it was 10 years ago and lasted less than a year) and an other last name that she legally used during that time. We forgot about it when filling out the eDV application and didn't enter that name as an other name used. Also we are in US with a non-immigrant visa and I don't remember entering that name when filling out any form for our non-immigrant visa application, either. Hopefully our number will be current in a few months and I haven't submitted the DS 260, yet. What do you recommend? Being truthful is the key; but if I don't let them know about this honest mistake, would it affect the decision for giving an interview in the first place? Should I connect KCC?
Thanks a lot.
There's no field in the eDV application for "other names used". So, I don't think you have omitted any information up to this point as far as your DV application is concerned. I would give you the same advise that SusieQQQ did. Just fill up the correct information on your DS-260 and mention the other name she previously used in the "Other names used" field.

The preparation of Green card takes about two weeks.
Yes you can get back to your country anytime you want after you activate your status at port of entry.
But i don't think it is possible to stay out of US more than six months.

What is you region? Is it Asia? If so, you're safe and will most likely get an interview sometime around May/June next year. That number is considered safe for Africa, Europe, and Asia.
If you successfully pass your interview and travel to the U.S., you will get your GC around one month after entering the U.S. provided you pay your Green Card fee before you travel to the US. Some people had to wait a bit longer but not much.
You can return to your home country and take care of unfinished stuff back home. However, you should not remain outside the U.S. for more than 12 months.

Thank u. Yes its asia. Relieved to know my CN is safe. So till i get green card do i get a job tere easily? Of course for living.