• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Hi everyone, I have a small question. My birthplace in my passport is spelled as "Umdorman" while I in the initial DV application I wrote as the right spelling "Omdurman". Now for filling the DS-26o, which one do I write? Do I have to change my passport? Though in the passport the name is written correct in Arabic. Please advice

Hi everyone, I have a small question. My birthplace in my passport is spelled as "Umdorman" while I in the initial DV application I wrote as the right spelling "Omdurman". Now for filling the DS-26o, which one do I write? Do I have to change my passport? Though in the passport the name is written correct in Arabic. Please advice
i don't think its a big problem , because the both spelling pointing to the same place,and i think you have to write it as the passport. and if you asked about it you can explain.

Hi Everybody,
I have been selected for the DV-2015 and my CN is 2015AS000004xx. What is your advice? Is that supposed to be high or low.how fast or till when which month will it be processed?

Hi Everybody,
I have been selected for the DV-2015 and my CN is 2015AS000004xx. What is your advice? Is that supposed to be high or low.how fast or till when which month will it be processed?

That is an extremely low number - current in October for sure - so an October interview if you are doing CP (interviewing outside of the USA).

Just found out that I was actually selected..only been trying 8 years..

Case number: 20015EU33XXX

Anyone know the likely hood of getting an interview?..break it too me gently..

Thanks.

Hi guys,
  1. how can i figure out wether the ds260 (DV2015) I submitted was complete? Will they notify me if they need any additional information? If yes, when?
  2. What documentation will they ask for to prove that i can support myself?
  3. Also: Is it possible/advisable to travel to the U.S. before my visa interview?

Thank you!!

Hi guys,
  1. how can i figure out wether the ds260 (DV2015) I submitted was complete? Will they notify me if they need any additional information? If yes, when?
  2. What documentation will they ask for to prove that i can support myself?
  3. Also: Is it possible/advisable to travel to the U.S. before my visa interview?

Thank you!!

1 no they won't inform you, but You will e asked for more info at the interview.
2. Please use the search function. Type in "public charge" and read a few threads.
3. No problem with visa waiver trips.

hi everybody, Ladies and Gentlemen
I have a question about the condition of level of éducation or 2 years of working in a sufficiant level of compétence in order to be retained.
my spouse, 2015Eu434xx, is passing now her High School équivalent and Will certainly get it Next month. But she had'nt went she was selected in May. Dors it mâle a problem?
but she worked 2 years in the last 5 years (2010 and 2011) as a créative writer and published several books as a contributor. This compétence is enough for the USA Standards but how Can she proove it? The contracts and rights royalties are they enough or has she to produce a certficate or recommandation from the editor? And if so, how have it to be written? And has it to be in french then translated by an official translator or written directly in English? ( the editor is French). So please let us know asap! Thanks You guys!

hi everybody, Ladies and Gentlemen
I have a question about the condition of level of éducation or 2 years of working in a sufficiant level of compétence in order to be retained.
my spouse, 2015Eu434xx, is passing now her High School équivalent and Will certainly get it Next month. But she had'nt went she was selected in May. Dors it mâle a problem?
but she worked 2 years in the last 5 years (2010 and 2011) as a créative writer and published several books as a contributor. This compétence is enough for the USA Standards but how Can she proove it? The contracts and rights royalties are they enough or has she to produce a certficate or recommandation from the editor? And if so, how have it to be written? And has it to be in french then translated by an official translator or written directly in English? ( the editor is French). So please let us know asap! Thanks You guys!

Is she the principal selectee (the winner)?
Are you saying that when she entered the lottery in October last year she had not completed US High School equivalent?

Edit: OK, since typing the reply I did some checking on the assumption that you would confirm she is the winner and that she was not qualified appropriately when she entered. If I have misunderstood you, and she was qualified at the time of entry or is not the winner - then no issue.

Basically I think that by not being qualified on education at the time she entered DV would cause your spouse a problem - and she could not qualify through education.

So then can she make a case around work experience. Well I checked the O*Net database for "creative writer" - this is the job description that comes up for that - http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/27-3043.05

That job IS of high enough level to qualify, so if she can prove that she has a minimum of 2 years FULL TIME experience in that job within the last 5 years then she could make a case to qualify on work experience. However, please understand that qualifying on work experience is harder and somewhat subjective. It is up to you to make a strong case and hope the CO sees it the same way.

Last edited:
Is she the principal selectee (the winner)?
Are you saying that when she entered the lottery in October last year she had not completed US High School equivalent?

Edit: OK, since typing the reply I did some checking on the assumption that you would confirm she is the winner and that she was not qualified appropriately when she entered. If I have misunderstood you, and she was qualified at the time of entry or is not the winner - then no issue.

Basically I think that by not being qualified on education at the time she entered DV would cause your spouse a problem - and she could not qualify through education.

So then can she make a case around work experience. Well I checked the O*Net database for "creative writer" - this is the job description that comes up for that - http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/27-3043.05

That job IS of high enough level to qualify, so if she can prove that she has a minimum of 2 years FULL TIME experience in that job within the last 5 years then she could make a case to qualify on work experience. However, please understand that qualifying on work experience is harder and somewhat subjective. It is up to you to make a strong case and hope the CO sees it the same way.
Thank You Britsimon
your assomption is right.
So, if I understand well, the fact to get the Highschool level AFTER been registerd in october 2013 doesn't help? It seems me a bit unfair but let's take it as it is.
According to the two years of créative writing as I sais, you're right to say it' s garder to get serious proof of full time job, cause writing is not a question of time but of books published and second it's not a "bon" but a créative and intellectual work. So how would ne written the letter of recommandation of the editor in order to proove she actully colloborate as a writer on 4 books (with me as co author) in 2010 -2011,

Thank You Britsimon
your assomption is right.
So, if I understand well, the fact to get the Highschool level AFTER been registerd in october 2013 doesn't help? It seems me a bit unfair but let's take it as it is.
According to the two years of créative writing as I sais, you're right to say it' s garder to get serious proof of full time job, cause writing is not a question of time but of books published and second it's not a "bon" but a créative and intellectual work. So how would ne written the letter of recommandation of the editor in order to proove she actully colloborate as a writer on 4 books (with me as co author) in 2010 -2011,

On the education side, you can try with the documents she will have. The CO might overlook the mistake - but let us be clear - the instructions are very clear. There are two requirements for entry, the second is to be qualified by education or work experience. The instructions say very clearly that if you do nt meet this requirement you should not enter the lottery.

For the work experience, You would need affidavits from people that supervised her work, an editor or publisher would be a good start. It is hard to prove qualification on work experience, so you should understand that and accept that you will be risking the fees for medicals, and the DV lottery fee. So it is up to you to decide if you want to try. I would.

I understand Britsimon, and thank you for your precisions…
Let me please precise how all was happening, because it seems very very serious (and a bit alarming for us!).
Fist af all we put our inscription for the GC cursus through a site named green card-us global. I was the one subscribing, with my spouse as family co-suscriber. Personnally, my level of education is rather high, cause I have 4 masters 2 in different discipline (one of my diploma in Business Management School is one of the fiew in Europe considered on the same level than the greatest US Universities). My spouse hadn't the chance to make studies but had different professional formations (1 year in sales and 1 in jewelry, 3 months in acting) but without diploma. So I put as educational level for her "vocational school", wich seemed to be the equivalent of "formation professionnelle" in France.
She was the one to be selected in may, maybe because she is younger than me. So she had, AFTER her selection, an opportunity to pass the diploma called in France "DAEU", equivalent of "Baccalaureat" or "High School" in the States. She worked hard to get it, eventually with a mention "very good". She just finished her exams and will have the results end of june but she will get it for sure.
According to the 2 years job thing, as you said, she worked with me (I'm a professional creative writer as you know) on different books as a co-writer for 4 or 5 books published in 2 years. She had a contract and she got rights (royalties) from the editor for this creative job and had her name on the cover. She didn't have another job during this period and it was a full time occupation (as you know, it takes time to write a book). So she can produce her contracts, listing of annual payments from the editor and she can also ask for affidavits or recommendations from our editor. The problem is that writing is not a job as others, you are free of your time, you only have to give your manuscript and being approved by the editor on the date that is in contract. Tou work at home, you don't have a "chief", and so one. So it is on a way more difficult to prove that it is a "real job", as it would be in a desk or in a factory, but on the other way it is a job for sure and when you make it seriously you can't do anything else at the same moment.
So my question is, because the mentality and way of appreciating things are rather different in France and in the US:
- what exactly kind of documents she has to produce to the Embassy during the interviews: contracts, declarations of rights and royalties, recommendations of the editor, the books themselves? And according to the editor's "affidavit": has it to be in french then translated by an official translator, or written directly in english by the editor? (they know both languages of course). The signature of the man in charge is it enough or had it to be more official, and how? The editor will accept to sign a paper telling my spouse was hired as a writer for those books without problem, but he certainly will not have time to go to the Embassy or I don't know where….
Another thing: in the french editing houses, you have several persons in charge: the editor himself, in the US acception, that is the person who read your text, ask you for corrections, etc. You have the chief editor, who sign your contract and accept the manuscript. And on the top you have the president of the conglomerate of editions houses. Wich of them (maybe all) have to write his affidavit and in wich terms?
Maybe for this delicate question we ought to consult a lawyer, but the french ones doesn't know the US law about Green Card conditions, so… How can we do?
One thing for shure. We want to do all the process and GET this Green Card at the end, in order to settle down in the USA and become famous writers and artists abroad, because in France success is never recognized! ;) (I'm joking…. mhhh. am I?)
So THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICES LORD BRISTMON!!!! (and the others kind Ladies and Gentlemen of course)

Edouard,

From what you have said the important points are these. Your education is not important because she is the selectee. You are saying that she achieved US High School level after selection. That means (in my understanding) that she cannot qualify on education grounds. However, as I said before that might be overlooked at time of interview.

If you want to attend the interview I would do the following. Present her education credentials for the possibility that the CO decides to accept those. That would be a mistake, but once the CO has made that decision - you would be fine. On the other hand the CO might say the education is a problem. In that case you could then revert to a fully prepared work experience case. For the work experience case you would present as much evidence as possible. The various editors should sign affidavits (a document signed by a notaire). Evidence of contracts, earning statements and books showing her as co author would all be strong evidence.

Of course you might be wasting your time with the work experience preparation (if the CO accepts your wife's education) - but better to be over prepared. Work experience cases are harder and the outcome is less certain. It depends on the merits of the case itself and of course how well the case is presented. I think in your case you should also have your education documents available because that will help set the overall perception of you both as a couple.

Hope that helps.