• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 winners from Europe

I don't think you could just put family members as the factor that takes longer. The delay is for background checks, but a selectee with 3 kids under 10 won't have much to do, as opposed to a a family with two kids at 18 & 20. Those older kids will cause more checks.

Now the other factor will be where the applicants are from or where they have lived. So a family from the UK that have never been anywhere else would take less time than a family from a country that doesn't cooperate with the USA as we'll in terms of sharing information. And if the family list addresses from other countries, then those countries will be checked too.

So, these things are no predictable, they are depending on too many factors to predict the time needed for processing.

Flori and I was just making some conversations about the spreadsheets TR & EU . We were discussing both . We both agree with you. Just trying the times go faster to the next monts 2nd letters.

Hi guys,
Just finished our visa interview... Put on AP :(
Ok so here's how it went...
My husband and I got married on May 2013 (so 5 months before even applying for the DV2015)
Today the visa officer insisted soooo much on us providing proof of our relationship (not marriage certificate or legal proof...but other info to prove it) o_O
We said we didn't know they needed it (as it was not mentioned in the list of the docs requested) and she said then that they ask for that bcz my we got married after my husband won the lottery... :eek:
We explained VERY CLEARLY that we had already been married one year before we won the lottery. At that point I think she rechecked the papers and asked no further questions about our relationship.
She then raised her voice and switched from Albanian language to English. Asked a few other questions about high school (which we answered) and at the end she got up...went to the other office and came back with a piece of paper telling us we need to get a new sponsor as the one we had couldn't support us as he was below the poverty line. :( :(
I really got no idea which the poverty line is :'( (does anyone know ???????????) but the fact is that we have to find a new sponsor ASAP and sent the form again to the embassy via courier.
It was a shock really. We're sad and disappointed. I don't really know if they are gonna issue us the visa even if we provide a new affidavit of support... Is there any other case like ours and how did it end??? Does anyone know anything about similar cases?
I just feel hopeless, not bcz we can't find a new sponsor but bcz it seems like it's over. :(

Hi guys,
My husband and I got married on May 2013 (so 5 months before even applying for the DV2015)
Today the visa officer insisted soooo much on us providing proof of our relationship (not marriage certificate or legal proof...but other info to prove it) o_O
We said we didn't know they needed it (as it was not mentioned in the list of the docs requested) and she said then that they ask for that bcz my we got married after my husband won the lottery... :eek:
We explained VERY CLEARLY that we had already been married one year before we won the lottery. At that point I think she rechecked the papers and asked no further questions about our relationship.
She then raised her voice and switched from Albanian language to English. Asked a few other questions about high school (which we answered) and at the end she got up...went to the other office and came back with a piece of paper telling us we need to get a new sponsor as the one we had couldn't support us as he was below the poverty line. :( :(
I really got no idea which the poverty line is :'( (does anyone know ???????????) but the fact is that we have to find a new sponsor ASAP and sent the form again to the embassy via courier.
It was a shock really. We're sad and disappointed. I don't really know if they are gonna issue us the visa even if we provide a new affidavit of support... Is there any other case like ours and how did it end??? Does anyone know anything about similar cases?
I just feel hopeless, not bcz we can't find a new sponsor but bcz it seems like it's over. :(

Sorry to hear about the AP, but yes they will reject the AOS if the sponsor's income is below the poverty guideline. This is normal. Google "US poverty guideline" to see what the incomes are. Your sponsor will need to earn enough to provide for the poverty guidelines for all adults and children in his own family as well as all in your family to be acceptable. Other cases like yours have been approved when the people have found a sponsor with acceptable income.

Hi guys,

Sorry about being put on AP. Your case will be approved once you send in a new AOS with the sponsor's income above the required poverty guideline. The following link should provide you with more information on what the sponsor's income should be:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Your sponsor's income has to cover the number of people in his/her family + the number of people in your family.

Hi guys,

You find the poverty income guidelines in Foreign Affairs Manual 9 FAM 40.41 (relevant part attached).

Good luck

Attachments

• 86991.pdf
    192.3 KB · Views: 22
Sorry about being put on AP. Your case will be approved once you send in a new AOS with the sponsor's income above the required poverty guideline. The following link should provide you with more information on what the sponsor's income should be:

Your sponsor's income has to cover the number of people in his/her family + the number of people in your family.

Thank you @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ for the info....and the link... Yes this clarifies things.
We unfortunately didn't know the whole thing about poverty line (our mistake) and we just took it for granted :(
Well, I guess we're gonna try to get a new AOS asap, hopefully they will be kind enough not to refuse us after that...!

Thank you for these references sm1smom & DV4ROGER, but could you kindly clarify how calculation is done ?! Let's say the sponsor has a family of 2 members (including him/her), does that mean he must have incomes >= $ 19,662 (referring to the 2nd row in the chart of Poverty Gudelines) no matter of how big is my family? Does his/her income of >= $ 19,662 cover my family of 2 adults (including me) and an infant?

Thank you for these references sm1smom & DV4ROGER, but could you kindly clarify how calculation is done ?! Let's say the sponsor has a family of 2 members (including him/her), does that mean he must have incomes >= $ 19,662 (referring to the 2nd row in the chart of Poverty Gudelines) no matter of how big is my family? Does his/her income of >= $ 19,662 cover my family of 2 adults (including me) and an infant?
Hi Flori,
You need to add your members on top of the sponsor's members. From your example (2 persons from the sponsor and 3 from your side), the sponsor must have the income of at least $ 34,887 (for 5 persons).

Hi guys,
Dear Bleri, first of all calm down and breath because it's not over at all... My cousin had the same experience as yours in DV2014, she was put in AP for the same reason of sponsorship but afterwards managed to fix it, have a new interview date and get the visa!
As for the relationship proof you have have been asked from the CO that is very bizarre!! Don't you have a kid as proof :D Next time I don't think you will be asked the same question but take some old photos and be prepared for questions regarding your spouse's family members etc...
Pac fat ! Good luck !

You find the poverty income guidelines in Foreign Affairs Manual 9 FAM 40.41 (relevant part attached).

Good luck

We don't give that link Roger because it quotes I864 need which states 125% of the FPG, and the I134 is assessed at 100%.

Hi Flori,
You need to add your members on top of the sponsor's members. From your example (2 persons from the sponsor and 3 from your side), the sponsor must have the income of at least $ 34,887 (for 5 persons).
Are you saying that an infant has the same weight as an adult while calculating the sponsorship ?! If someone would not need the sponsorship but show evidence of his savings then an infant would have not the same weight in calculations as an adult...

Are you saying that an infant has the same weight as an adult while calculating the sponsorship ?! If someone would not need the sponsorship but show evidence of his savings then an infant would have not the same weight in calculations as an adult...
The age of person doesn't make any difference to them, otherwise it would have been stated on the Poverty Income Guideline. They only show the size of the family - they don't show the age. So, if it's 2 months old or 50 years old, it's still 1 person.

The size, weight or age of a person to be covered by an affidavit is immaterial. The infant is counted as a person, the same way you will pay the $330 DV fee and $165 GC for the infant is the same way the infant will be counted as one individual with needs when putting together the affidavit of support!

Very interesting posts @Britsimon and very clear. The only thing i don't understand is why in the paper they gave us it is stated "Sponsor must meet 125% of poverty guidliness......" bohh I don't know... All i can say is to be sure I'm gonna ask one of my "rich" relatives :) for a new affidavit :)

Dear Bleri, first of all calm down and breath because it's not over at all... My cousin had the same experience as yours in DV2014, she was put in AP for the same reason of sponsorship but afterwards managed to fix it, have a new interview date and get the visa!
As for the relationship proof you have have been asked from the CO that is very bizarre!! Don't you have a kid as proof :D Next time I don't think you will be asked the same question but take some old photos and be prepared for questions regarding your spouse's family members etc...
Pac fat ! Good luck !

Fingers crossed @Flori_ALB_NY Faleminderit :)
I really hope evrth goes smoothly and we get it. Now we're just arranging a new AOS...
And about the pics you're suggesting, well I guess we'll do that, as we've no babies yet :p :D
Good luck to you too!