• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

It's not the actual driving that's hard, it's the awareness of other people driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

As the say in US driving school ... "Death comes from the Left" (e.g. at intersections, etc).

We are EU winners, had our interview at Sydney a few days ago, on June-09. Just wanted to seek advice from this forum mates... :)

The interview went excellent, but my wife was given yellow 221(g) letter requesting new Police certificate including her maiden name as well. We refused to have my and the kids visas issued without her's.

We immediately got to the police office and the kind police officer at duty decided to call the consulate. They instructed her that sending them a reassuring letter that no further certificate is needed via email may actually work for us. Meanwhile as we are not sure such email would do the job, applied for NSW certificate just for her maiden name (only 1 name per NSW certificate) and another federal (AFP) one that should come listing both her present and maiden names.

As we are also afraid that the Sep-30 deadline is approaching. Do you think that if we send to the consulate two separate police certificates for my wife for her both names would be good to the consulate or they would still require a single certificate with both names listed in it?

I know the above sounds a bit weird, hope someone can give me a meaningful insight :)

It needs to be the AFP check with full disclosure, so code 33, listing all names. If it were me, I would only send the AFP check so as not to confuse the issue.

Thanks Emily! The only thing that bothers me is that probably the NSW certificate would come first and the CO advised to try to close the case before the end of the month because next month they would not have visa # allocated for us. May be I would try to contact them. Does anyone know if they would ever reply via the new online ustraveldocs system, once the case is already in AP status?

I guess it would be easier if they listed requirements somewhere easy to find, so that people knew what to look for...Australian PCs seem more confusing than most countries. This is on the embassy website for DV selectees, is it on the dvselectee page too?

• Required for each visa applicant aged 16 years or older.
  • Required if you have resided in Australia for a minimum of 6 months. Police certificates must list ALL ALIASES used during or prior to your residence in that country OR be based on fingerprints. When applying for an Australian police certificate, be sure to note that your request is for the purpose of immigration and for a “Complete Disclosure”.

We are EU winners, had our interview at Sydney a few days ago, on June-09. Just wanted to seek advice from this forum mates... :)

The interview went excellent, but my wife was given yellow 221(g) letter requesting new Police certificate including her maiden name as well. We refused to have my and the kids visas issued without her's.

We immediately got to the police office and the kind police officer at duty decided to call the consulate. They instructed her that sending them a reassuring letter that no further certificate is needed via email may actually work for us. Meanwhile as we are not sure such email would do the job, applied for NSW certificate just for her maiden name (only 1 name per NSW certificate) and another federal (AFP) one that should come listing both her present and maiden names.

As we are also afraid that the Sep-30 deadline is approaching. Do you think that if we send to the consulate two separate police certificates for my wife for her both names would be good to the consulate or they would still require a single certificate with both names listed in it?

I know the above sounds a bit weird, hope someone can give me a meaningful insight :)

You have enough time. Just apply for whatever they say you need and send it in. You probably cannot get that done before the end of the month, so that means your pre-allocated visas will be put back in the pool. For that reason you probably should take the visas for you and the kids - that way - they only need to find you one visa later (AND you can sponsor your wife if things went wrong) with her AP process.

However, these cases usually get resolved quite soon after the PCC is provided.

You have enough time. Just apply for whatever they say you need and send it in. You probably cannot get that done before the end of the month, so that means your pre-allocated visas will be put back in the pool. For that reason you probably should take the visas for you and the kids - that way - they only need to find you one visa later (AND you can sponsor your wife if things went wrong) with her AP process.

However, these cases usually get resolved quite soon after the PCC is provided.

The Australian Federal Police are very efficient. I applied online last year - applied on Monday, was in my mailbox on Thursday., so there's a chance they could do it this month.

Hey mate,

I had my interview on the same day... and had the exact same problem. NSW police check didn't list my wife's maiden name. I called NSW Police and was given the same story - they only print one name on the certificate.

Fed up, I applied for an AFP check (which thankfully didn't require me visiting a Police station - unlike the NSW check). I submitted my application on the afternoon of my interview, and it was dispatched the same day. I was told it could take up to 25 days, so three hours was a nice surprise.

Thank you for your valuable feedback all!

SusieQQQ, I see they updated these requirements on May-26, until then only people abroad were required to go to AFP, others from NSW were supposed to apply at NSW police and give the US consulate address for delivery. We got ours beginning of May.

Britsimon, Thank you for the good recommendations. In fact I did also realised I made a mistake refusing outright after I left the interview. I was just not prepared for such outcome.

guestgulkan, SydSteve - We just applied on Friday for AFP PCC, my wife got earlier today (Sunday) and email that her certificate would be dispatched via the next available post service. I hope we get it by Wednesday in order to reach the consulate by Friday.

Does anyone know if I want to reach out to the consulate and eventually ask them to issue the visas for me and the kids, which way to use? - they don't discuss on the phone, ustraveldocs system?

I know I might be going slightly paranoid but seeing at Britsimon's blog the statistics for Sydney consulate - 18 refusals - makes me worried.

The requirements were updated back before I had my interview in April but there was conflicting information. The consulate talked about state checks whereas the state.gov site asked for the AFP check with full disclosure.

Make sure it is full disclosure as the standard one will exclude spent offences and they want the check to include all offences, if any.

I'd send an email to the consulate once you send them the police check, letting them know it's on the way. That way, they will know to expect it.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has experience applying for a reentry permit. Due to employment issues, I'm not sure whether I can move there in time before the one-year activation time expires. I've read through the brochure, which outlines that both the filing of the application form and the biometrics appointment has to take place in the US. Since the biometrics appointment occurs about 4-5 weeks after the application is filed, that means I may have to make another trip to the US just for this. Does anyone know if possible exceptions can be made e.g. having the biometrics appointment earlier?

Thanks for keeping up the helpful discussions here and congrats to those getting through! :)

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has experience applying for a reentry permit. Due to employment issues, I'm not sure whether I can move there in time before the one-year activation time expires. I've read through the brochure, which outlines that both the filing of the application form and the biometrics appointment has to take place in the US. Since the biometrics appointment occurs about 4-5 weeks after the application is filed, that means I may have to make another trip to the US just for this. Does anyone know if possible exceptions can be made e.g. having the biometrics appointment earlier?

Thanks for keeping up the helpful discussions here and congrats to those getting through! :)

No, there are no exceptions to biometrics dates (or everyone would do it). Will you have someone able to receive and open mail for you in the U.S. so that you will know when your bio date is?

Hi,

If you have a compelling reason to be outside the U.S., you can file an expedited re-entry permit request. However, I doubt your need to be back on job in your home country will be an acceptable reason for USCIS to honor your request. Your only alternative will be to wait for the biometric notice (which could possibly still take up to 1 month to arrive) and then attempt a walk in appointment - that is show up for the biometric appointment ahead of the scheduled date.

Of course if you know of a trustworthy person who can receive the bio notice on your behalf, you can always leave and return for the bio appointment once the person confirms the bio appointment.

Last edited:
Thank you for your valuable feedback all!

SusieQQQ, I see they updated these requirements on May-26, until then only people abroad were required to go to AFP, others from NSW were supposed to apply at NSW police and give the US consulate address for delivery. We got ours beginning of May.

Britsimon, Thank you for the good recommendations. In fact I did also realised I made a mistake refusing outright after I left the interview. I was just not prepared for such outcome.

guestgulkan, SydSteve - We just applied on Friday for AFP PCC, my wife got earlier today (Sunday) and email that her certificate would be dispatched via the next available post service. I hope we get it by Wednesday in order to reach the consulate by Friday.

Does anyone know if I want to reach out to the consulate and eventually ask them to issue the visas for me and the kids, which way to use? - they don't discuss on the phone, ustraveldocs system?

I know I might be going slightly paranoid but seeing at Britsimon's blog the statistics for Sydney consulate - 18 refusals - makes me worried.

18 refusals is nothing. Sydney embassy is a pussycat - they just want to tick certain boxes - but as long as those are ticked - you'll be fine. The bigger risk is something Sydney don't control - the visa availability - and in a sense that is the downside of an embassy with so few refusals. During the month of interview they control their own mini quota, so if they refuse a case, they can use that visa for another case that just cleared AP. However, if they don't have a refusal they have to get another place allocated from KCC and that can take time - because you are in a bigger waitlist. That was the point about taking the places you were offered - so yeah - contact them and see if you can take those visas still.

18 refusals is nothing. Sydney embassy is a pussycat - they just want to tick certain boxes - but as long as those are ticked - you'll be fine. The bigger risk is something Sydney don't control - the visa availability - and in a sense that is the downside of an embassy with so few refusals. During the month of interview they control their own mini quota, so if they refuse a case, they can use that visa for another case that just cleared AP. However, if they don't have a refusal they have to get another place allocated from KCC and that can take time - because you are in a bigger waitlist. That was the point about taking the places you were offered - so yeah - contact them and see if you can take those visas still.
Thanks Britsimon,
Should I assume that if it happens that we do not satisfy the consulate by the end of the month but in early July, we will have to wait for another month at least (assuming no refusals) so that the requested in July visa numbers for us become available in August? Do the visa # allocations per consulate happen monthly?

Thanks Britsimon,
Should I assume that if it happens that we do not satisfy the consulate by the end of the month but in early July, we will have to wait for another month at least (assuming no refusals) so that the requested in July visa numbers for us become available in August? Do the visa # allocations per consulate happen monthly?

I can't tell you exactly what will happen - it can be a bit random. Hopefully it will be fast...

Hi All,
Been watching this forum since last year, and now we've finally made the August cutoff. When do we usually get interview notifications? Will it be within the next week? Also I submitted my DS-260 all the way back in May 2014 and erroneously listed my job (Actor) as a qualifying job. I mean you do need at least 2 years experience to get decent work but not according to the O*Net. I've completed Year 12 and 2 tertiary degrees, so will that be a problem in the interview? I've also lost my Vaccination records, so I imagine that its just a case of getting a jab of everything at the medical?

Awesome forum...you guys have been keeping me sane during a time of serious doubt and frustration!

Hi All,
Been watching this forum since last year, and now we've finally made the August cutoff. When do we usually get interview notifications? Will it be within the next week? Also I submitted my DS-260 all the way back in May 2014 and erroneously listed my job (Actor) as a qualifying job. I mean you do need at least 2 years experience to get decent work but not according to the O*Net. I've completed Year 12 and 2 tertiary degrees, so will that be a problem in the interview? I've also lost my Vaccination records, so I imagine that its just a case of getting a jab of everything at the medical?

Awesome forum...you guys have been keeping me sane during a time of serious doubt and frustration!

First up ... congratulations.

Next, iff you've completed year 12, you're qualified for the DV process. The "qualifying job" bit is only if you haven't completed Yr 12.

With regards to the vaccinations - the panel doctor will get a blood test done to see what jabs you need to get.

Can anyone please recommend the best way to set up a credit card/account in the US?

I’ve heard from friends over there that it’s extremely hard when you’re new/foreign, and to set up with an international bank like HSBC or similar before moving over there.

Or does that not apply to us lucky Greencard holders?

Can anyone please recommend the best way to set up a credit card/account in the US?

I’ve heard from friends over there that it’s extremely hard when you’re new/foreign, and to set up with an international bank like HSBC or similar before moving over there.

Or does that not apply to us lucky Greencard holders?

It doesn't matter how awesome your job is or how much money you have, you're going to get denied or a $500 limit when you start in the USA because you have no credit history at all.

Get an AMEX card in australia now, then do a global transfer in the USA. You need 6 months of australian AMEX history. I've done it myself and can confirm. btw someone told me it only applies to the official AMEX cards not the bank AMEX cards, not sure, so better off getting it direct.

Citi and HSBC may have similar programs but I can't speak for them.

After six months the AMEX card will give you an ok-ish FICO score (that's the official credit score used by lenders) and you can get another visa/mastercard.