• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

@EmilyW and others in case you were wondering.... I GOT MINE! Had a really cool interviewer that upon hearing I support the Dallas Cowboys told me he was tempted to reject the application. Haha. Questions were quite standard: how long to do my degree, why did I move to London, why USA...

So basically I'm all set, I fly to NYC on the 19th of June. I already have a job (transferring to join the US office of my company). Now on to the fun of setting up a bank account, getting SSN and finding a place (can't crash on my cousins couch forever!).

Any tips on that oh wise ones? If I understand correctly the SSN will be issued/processed upon entry? Any idea about how quickly you get the SSN issued on average? Work want me to start ASAP, so not much of a holiday for ZShep... :-(

Spreadsheet updated @Zshep. Congratulations on getting the GC! And excellent news on the job.

I think that most OCers go and get the SSN upon landing, just to speed things up a little.

I too am wondering about your support of the Dallas Cowboys. Your continued membership of the Class of OC2015 is now officially in Administrative Processing.

@LazyDoggie we have the papers arranged in specific order as listed in the Support Documents and "what to bring". And no the papers are not loose, they are in clear files so its presentable and organized for the CO to go through - Lets have the experts clear or comments on this part @EmilyW other pretty experts :)

The panel doctor I went to is one of the doctors in the list who has been doing medical exams for DV for a very long time. Im pretty sure its mentioned that some doctors directly send results. And Yes, the medical results came in a sealed envelope.

Medical was just below $900 for all three which included x-ray. Police clearance was below $200 each.

@Pranish, as far as educational background is concerned, are you taking along your and your wife's high school results (the mid-year and annual exam results) in addition to the external exam results from FJC, FSLC and FSFE?

Yup, we started from FSLC and then FJC then Entrance coz those are external exams which the education ministry requires you to do. And having FSLC with transcripts says that you have completed high school or 12 years of school which is a must requirement fr DV. My wife did not do FSFE rather went on tertiary..

Thought some of the recent visa success people would appreciate this.

Saw it on OzBargain - USA Pre-paid SIM cards
  • Simple Mobile (T-Mobile) Sim card $29 2GB data
  • H2O (AT&T) Sim Card $55 1GB data
Make sure you check your phone specs before buying. T-Mobile is very picky with its frequencies and may not support your phone. AT&T is more compatible.

btw I've mentioned this before on the forum, Sprint and Verizon are huge phone companies in the US, however they use a weird US-only protocol and your phone won't work for them. Ignore. You need to get AT&T or T-Mobile sims, or their resellers.

Thought some of the recent visa success people would appreciate this.

Saw it on OzBargain - USA Pre-paid SIM cards
  • Simple Mobile (T-Mobile) Sim card $29 2GB data
  • H2O (AT&T) Sim Card $55 1GB data
Make sure you check your phone specs before buying. T-Mobile is very picky with its frequencies and may not support your phone. AT&T is more compatible.

btw I've mentioned this before on the forum, Sprint and Verizon are huge phone companies in the US, however they use a weird US-only protocol and your phone won't work for them. Ignore. You need to get AT&T or T-Mobile sims, or their resellers.

What network you want depends where you are too. Some may have fantastic coverage on the east coast but awful on the west coast for example. So while the above info might be ok for a pay as you go sim to keep you in contact while you're starting out, if you're looking for a contract don't just automatically go with whatever network supports your existing phone... Which can also be recycled to charity by the way.

@EmilyW and others in case you were wondering.... I GOT MINE! Had a really cool interviewer that upon hearing I support the Dallas Cowboys told me he was tempted to reject the application. Haha. Questions were quite standard: how long to do my degree, why did I move to London, why USA...

So basically I'm all set, I fly to NYC on the 19th of June. I already have a job (transferring to join the US office of my company). Now on to the fun of setting up a bank account, getting SSN and finding a place (can't crash on my cousins couch forever!).

Any tips on that oh wise ones? If I understand correctly the SSN will be issued/processed upon entry? Any idea about how quickly you get the SSN issued on average? Work want me to start ASAP, so not much of a holiday for ZShep... :-(
They say your SSN will be processed on entry, but I am yet to hear if someone this year who didn't have to go into the SSA office and apply again. I suggest you just go into the office and apply after you enter, bring your passport with stamped visa, and your birth certificate. I explained the situation with mine not knowing if it was already being processed or not and they just looked up my details and said I wasn't in the system so started a new SSN from scratch. The SSN card was sent within 2 weeks.

They say your SSN will be processed on entry, but I am yet to hear if someone this year who didn't have to go into the SSA office and apply again. I suggest you just go into the office and apply after you enter, bring your passport with stamped visa, and your birth certificate. I explained the situation with mine not knowing if it was already being processed or not and they just looked up my details and said I wasn't in the system so started a new SSN from scratch. The SSN card was sent within 2 weeks.

I actually think the majority of people do get them without any extra effort but people don't generally come on the net to say "hey! The system worked the way it's supposed to" :D So the ones who post about it are the ones who had problems.