• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

The smile I have right now... Not seen since the last time the Magpies won the Premiership.

Ergo, we were approved and out of the consulate in 20 minutes.

Will update more once I get back home tonight.

Woo ooh Em, congratulations! I can imagine your excitement

gif-3.gif

The smile I have right now... Not seen since the last time the Magpies won the Premiership.

Ergo, we were approved and out of the consulate in 20 minutes.

Will update more once I get back home tonight.
congratulations Emily, I thought of u this morning around 9 am, Im soooo happy for u gal.

Congratulations to everyone who got approved today! Only those who have been through the process can understand how relieved/elated/excited/dazed you all feel right now. Enjoy the feeling, it's the best.

congrats all that got approved today!
i read that they dont allow mobiles into the consulate, what did you do with your mobile phones?
thanks

Hi there folks! Hubby and I were also approved. Got there an hour early, interviewed early, approved early and then elated early. Em, most happy for you - congrats to all approved today. Happy to read you're a Pies fan. Awse.

Sophia

@SophiaP, were you there while we were there? You were wearing a suit jacket, skirt and heels? If so, we were the family there. Man mountain husband, two kids (one who wears glasses) and I was in a grey jersey frock.

OK, so my experience was the same as everyone else's really. As @AussieGemma said in her account, the hardest part really IS the selection. The interview is bureaucratic paper checking so, as long as your paperwork is in order, it's a doddle.

Two things I did want to mention just because these were issues for me and I figure, there may be others facing the same issue in the future:

a) Having a special needs child

Our second son has special needs (specifically, high functioning autism). We were very concerned this would be an issue. It wasn't. We were honest during the medical and his condition was noted on his medical report (and not in very flattering terms either). In the interview, the CO read the report, and said nothing. It was not even mentioned.

b) Education results from a different country

My husband, who was the principal applicant, did his schooling in the UK. We were concerned that a US CO in Australia might not understand/be familiar with the UK system. As it happened, the CO started looking through his various GCSE and GCE results and then said 'You have a degree, right?'. Husband answered that yes he does have a masters degree, and the CO took that as evidence instead. He looked at the year husband graduated and put two and two together (i.e. that he couldn't have possibly finished a degree in that time without having finished high school) and that was the end of it.

@SophiaP, were you there while we were there? You were wearing a suit jacket, skirt and heels? If so, we were the family there. Man mountain husband, two kids (one who wears glasses) and I was in a grey jersey frock.
Nope, not us. Man in a tweed jacket and navy chinos, woman in black pants and red cardie was us.

We were in and out by 8:20am (wonderful that they let us through early, given we had an 8:45am interview), breakfasted on eggs and bacon downstairs and checked out of our hotel room (Phillip Street Travelodge - excellent choice whoever recommended it) by 9am. Gave the credit card a beating at Comics Kingdom on Liverpool Street, then toddled up to the State Library for the Pulp Confidential exhibition then capped it off with a beer and seafood lunch before heading to the airport, then home.

So glad you and your family made it, though I was disturbed by the reference to an unflattering description of your son in the medical report. That is NOT ON in my book, thank you very much. How is that so?

Anyhoo, we made it. The experience was seamless and frankly, much less frustrating than completing the DS 260 form online - which almost killed me and my husband.

My only cavil is that the lovely consular officer (blonde lady with longish bob and glasses) did not want to look at the beautifully prepared stat dec my lawyer buddy prepared for any questions that might arise from all the variations of spelling in my given name (Greek, phonetic, English and German alternatives, plus two different versions of my maiden name - Greek masculine and feminine forms). I guess because I listed them all painstakingly in the online form and in the police reports as AKA's, there was no issue (Sophia, Sofia, Sophie, Sofie etc - you can see how it gets interesting...).

Dammit, lady, that stat dec was a work of art and beautifully bound by a real grown up county court clerk. Are you SURE you don't want to sneak a peek???

After she said 'your visas are approved, they will take 1-2 weeks to arrive', I commented 'I wish there was no glass between us so I can shake your hand', to which she replied, 'Oh thank you, that's nice. Consider my hand shaken.' Hubby and I then simultaneously mimicked shaking hands. She laughed. There was lots of love in the room...(or at least, the cubicle). And now I have an email advising me that our visas are in the post - "approved, issued and mailed"!

How cool is that?

Finally, special shout out to all the peeps who'd gone before and shared their experiences with the group, SusieQ, Britsimon (a man ripe and ready for a knighthood - can we all pitch in and buy this man a membership/subscription to a Cheese of the Month Club?), Herschal, Deb7, Essey and anyone else I've neglected to call out by name - your contributions have been invaluable. Couldn't have done it without you.

If anyone would like to contact me for details, PM is best. This will likely be my last public post.

It's been emotional.

SP

OK, so my experience was the same as everyone else's really. As @AussieGemma said in her account, the hardest part really IS the selection. The interview is bureaucratic paper checking so, as long as your paperwork is in order, it's a doddle.

Two things I did want to mention just because these were issues for me and I figure, there may be others facing the same issue in the future:

a) Having a special needs child

Our second son has special needs (specifically, high functioning autism). We were very concerned this would be an issue. It wasn't. We were honest during the medical and his condition was noted on his medical report (and not in very flattering terms either). In the interview, the CO read the report, and said nothing. It was not even mentioned.

b) Education results from a different country

My husband, who was the principal applicant, did his schooling in the UK. We were concerned that a US CO in Australia might not understand/be familiar with the UK system. As it happened, the CO started looking through his various GCSE and GCE results and then said 'You have a degree, right?'. Husband answered that yes he does have a masters degree, and the CO took that as evidence instead. He looked at the year husband graduated and put two and two together (i.e. that he couldn't have possibly finished a degree in that time without having finished high school) and that was the end of it.

Congratulations.
(You may find it of interest that friends of mine were denied immigration to Australia because of a similar child, on the grounds that he might one day become a public charge. They are now in the US too!)

Congratulations.
(You may find it of interest that friends of mine were denied immigration to Australia because of a similar child, on the grounds that he might one day become a public charge. They are now in the US too!)

Actually australia is really harsh on these things - I had an uncle and aunt who immigrated there - after they had been there two years he had a stroke - and they got kicked out on a similar basis.

Nope, not us. Man in a tweed jacket and navy chinos, woman in black pants and red cardie was us.

We were in and out by 8:20am (wonderful that they let us through early, given we had an 8:45am interview), breakfasted on eggs and bacon downstairs and checked out of our hotel room (Phillip Street Travelodge - excellent choice whoever recommended it) by 9am. Gave the credit card a beating at Comics Kingdom on Liverpool Street, then toddled up to the State Library for the Pulp Confidential exhibition then capped it off with a beer and seafood lunch before heading to the airport, then home.

So glad you and your family made it, though I was disturbed by the reference to an unflattering description of your son in the medical report. That is NOT ON in my book, thank you very much. How is that so?

Anyhoo, we made it. The experience was seamless and frankly, much less frustrating than completing the DS 260 form online - which almost killed me and my husband.

My only cavil is that the lovely consular officer (blonde lady with longish bob and glasses) did not want to look at the beautifully prepared stat dec my lawyer buddy prepared for any questions that might arise from all the variations of spelling in my given name (Greek, phonetic, English and German alternatives, plus two different versions of my maiden name - Greek masculine and feminine forms). I guess because I listed them all painstakingly in the online form and in the police reports as AKA's, there was no issue (Sophia, Sofia, Sophie, Sofie etc - you can see how it gets interesting...).

Dammit, lady, that stat dec was a work of art and beautifully bound by a real grown up county court clerk. Are you SURE you don't want to sneak a peek???

After she said 'your visas are approved, they will take 1-2 weeks to arrive', I commented 'I wish there was no glass between us so I can shake your hand', to which she replied, 'Oh thank you, that's nice. Consider my hand shaken.' Hubby and I then simultaneously mimicked shaking hands. She laughed. There was lots of love in the room...(or at least, the cubicle). And now I have an email advising me that our visas are in the post - "approved, issued and mailed"!

How cool is that?

Finally, special shout out to all the peeps who'd gone before and shared their experiences with the group, SusieQ, Britsimon (a man ripe and ready for a knighthood - can we all pitch in and buy this man a membership/subscription to a Cheese of the Month Club?), Herschal, Deb7, Essey and anyone else I've neglected to call out by name - your contributions have been invaluable. Couldn't have done it without you.

If anyone would like to contact me for details, PM is best. This will likely be my last public post.

It's been emotional.

SP
Congrats SophiaP, I am so happy for all of the people who have gone through and been successful. I truly feel sorry for those that have not had the good fortune to be part of this forum, because without it I'm certain there would not be as many success stories. I for one would have failed. So I would also like to thank absolutely everyone for their invaluable advice and comfort in times of extreme panic. I'm loving life in the US so far and am sure everyone will find their place here too.

Hello all,

I can see I am little late to this party! But I was hoping those of you that have already gone through the interview process in Auckland could give me a little advice. I had the lucky honor of being 2015OC........01, literally number 1 haha. However nerve-wrackingly something happened at the KCC and there was some confusion on how I would be processing and my interview has only just been scheduled for May (eek!). My main questions are:

1. How long did those of you that had the medical in Auckland take for the results to be sent to the consulate? I have the medical scheduled for 2 weeks before the interview- do you think this will be enough time?

2. I have received that packet of forms and instructions from the ACK consulate, instructing me to mail them my documents, original and copies. What exactly did you send them? Just the "supporting" documents or did you also send DS-260 confirmation page, winner's notification etc?

I'd really appreciate any help- I'm so nervous I'm going to screw something up and miss my chance!

Thanks!

Hello all,

I can see I am little late to this party! But I was hoping those of you that have already gone through the interview process in Auckland could give me a little advice. I had the lucky honor of being 2015OC........01, literally number 1 haha. However nerve-wrackingly something happened at the KCC and there was some confusion on how I would be processing and my interview has only just been scheduled for May (eek!). My main questions are:

1. How long did those of you that had the medical in Auckland take for the results to be sent to the consulate? I have the medical scheduled for 2 weeks before the interview- do you think this will be enough time?

2. I have received that packet of forms and instructions from the ACK consulate, instructing me to mail them my documents, original and copies. What exactly did you send them? Just the "supporting" documents or did you also send DS-260 confirmation page, winner's notification etc?

I'd really appreciate any help- I'm so nervous I'm going to screw something up and miss my chance!

Thanks!
Curious! When did you apply for you to receive number 1? Was it on the first day?

Florida is great:
  • Warm
  • No state tax!
  • The Florida keys are beautiful
  • Fort Lauderdale airport is the cheapo way to fly to Miami
  • Can explore latin america and Caribbean very cheaply
  • Great cruises
My sister who won in 2006, narrowed it down to 2 states after travelling for 7 years to at least 24 states, she thinks she'd like to settle down in Florida. Houston was her 2nd choice however too much traffic n humidity put her off Houston.