• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Nothing for me as yet. I'm trying to ignore it until someone on the forum gets one. And then my F5 button better watch out.

Some people get their SSN within a couple of weeks (based on them selecting the option on the DS260).

However, some don't get it - and it is a pain in the but not having one. If you don't want to just wait and see, you can go to the SSA and request one - but you need to be in the country a few days to show up in their system.

Tried to do this today and she said there was nothing in the system but we have to wait the 20 or so days to get one automatically from the immigration process :/
Tempted to go into a different office tomorrow (and wait 2 hours again D: ) and just hand in the application form anyway...

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before but do you think its easier to open a US bank account from Oz or wait till im in the states? Should I open citbank or a HSBC and open an Oz and US one?

Cheers

Matt

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before but do you think its easier to open a US bank account from Oz or wait till im in the states? Should I open citbank or a HSBC and open an Oz and US one?

Cheers

Matt

Some people have reported it being useful to have an account with a multi-national bank, but ultimately the US bank will want your SSN number. They will open an account without one, but they need a bit of persuading...

We've just transferred our banking to HSBC and have opened an OZ and US bank account through them.

I suspect (but have zero proof, I'm going on instinct) the US account was opened so easily because we are a 'Premier' client and they like to keep those happy. For those in Melbourne, the Chadstone branch are very friendly and helpful. I swear I'm not paid by them.

If/when we finally get to the US, the intent is to get the SSN and then open a local bank account in the event that HSBC branches are hard to find outside of the major cities.

One thing about banking here. It doesn't seem to matter how much money you have, credit history I'd about credit so you can have a net Worth in 7 figures and still not qualify to get a freaking phone contract. The banks do give you extra perks though. I spent the early days getting phone calls from the branch managers every time I had to go into a branch to do something. It was really arse kissing annoying stuff...

One thing about banking here. It doesn't seem to matter how much money you have, credit history I'd about credit so you can have a net Worth in 7 figures and still not qualify to get a freaking phone contract. The banks do give you extra perks though. I spent the early days getting phone calls from the branch managers every time I had to go into a branch to do something. It was really arse kissing annoying stuff...

Which provider are you with? Verizon's credit provider (I think it's experian) was able to call up our SA credit record, and gave us a contract without having to put a deposit down.

Which provider are you with? Verizon's credit provider (I think it's experian) was able to call up our SA credit record, and gave us a contract without having to put a deposit down.

I was keen to get a T mobile contract (which I have now). I have Perfect credit reports from the UK (Equifax and Experian - sister companies of the US orgs) and that didn't matter. T mobile was picky about which company they would use for credit checks. I'm sure I could have resolved it with calls to their head office (as opposed to the local branches), but honestly I couldn't be bothered. Anyway - it isn't really about phones per se - it is a general principle that "credit" only looks at credit history - and anything out of the norm seems bizarrely "difficult" for them. Still - my credit score is now in a good range so I can get anything I want - but the "memory" of the pain in the bum still lingers.

Some people have reported it being useful to have an account with a multi-national bank, but ultimately the US bank will want your SSN number. They will open an account without one, but they need a bit of persuading...

Can confirm that FirstBank (Colorado and a couple of other states) opens bank accounts without a SSN.

They gave me an unsecured credit card with a $500 limit later on too.

We opened a Bank of America account in 2012 and told them we were travelling around the USA. We still have it along with funds waiting until we arrive in June. They wouldn't give us a credit card for obvious reasons but we didn't need it either. They did have a good reward program with their credit cards. They are not fussed we don't have a SSN although we had to explain to the IRS we have the account.

We opened a Bank of America account in 2012 and told them we were travelling around the USA. We still have it along with funds waiting until we arrive in June. They wouldn't give us a credit card for obvious reasons but we didn't need it either. They did have a good reward program with their credit cards. They are not fussed we don't have a SSN although we had to explain to the IRS we have the account.

Yeh like you I've got bank accounts, credit cards, money waiting to go. I'm ready to go the day I step off the plane.

But I've still got to get my wife setup.

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Matt
Hi Matt I opened a bank of America account on arrival, even before I receive my Social Security Number.. in fact I opened 3 accounts with my passport green card and they were over the top trying to assist me. Today I went to the bank to show my SSN and couldn't be more helpful.

Hello guys,

last year I was travelling around USA per 8 months and I opened a bank account whit CHASE and the documents that they need is just a photo ID (passport) and proof of address (any bills or the signed lease from where you are staying)

Hello guys,

last year I was travelling around USA per 8 months and I opened a bank account whit CHASE and the documents that they need is just a photo ID (passport) and proof of address (any bills or the signed lease from where you are staying)

Most people get their SSN before they get their first proof of address ;)

We opened an account with Chase with no SSN and needed something with our address on it..luckily we had just got an AT&T contract so could use that (needed to put down a $500 deposit per person though as no credit - refundable in a year). Decided to do that rather than prepaid to help build credit.
SSN for the husband arrived a few days ago..but mine didn't. strange. Would've thought they would be processed together! His is my important anyway as he needs to get his licence etc and he will likely get a job before me... Current obstacle: appointments at the DMV have a 2-3 month wait time o_O .. guess we'll be spending all day waiting at the walk in centre to get it done...

We opened an account with Chase with no SSN and needed something with our address on it..luckily we had just got an AT&T contract so could use that (needed to put down a $500 deposit per person though as no credit - refundable in a year). Decided to do that rather than prepaid to help build credit.
SSN for the husband arrived a few days ago..but mine didn't. strange. Would've thought they would be processed together! His is my important anyway as he needs to get his licence etc and he will likely get a job before me... Current obstacle: appointments at the DMV have a 2-3 month wait time o_O .. guess we'll be spending all day waiting at the walk in centre to get it done...

Did you 'shop around' for DMV appointments? We found the wait times varied significantly at the ones around here so if you only checked one may be worth looking at some others.