• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Today ( December 1st 2014) marks my 9th day and begining of the second week since POE.Haven't gotten my SSN yet.We visited a certain company(factory) that was recruiting / opening for the first time.
We were three of us, the other two dv 2014 from Kenya had their SSN,after the interview and signing some documents they were told to start on Monday while I was requested to get in touch with the manager once my SSN is out (Job is guaranteed).I visited another company which had job openings and the story was the same(filled up all the forms but call us once you have the SSN)
Term of service is $11 per hour @ 40 hours per week,Extra benefits given and guarantee for permanent employment after a month.
Visited the Social Services Department and was advised to get in touch with them if by 15th of Dec 2014 the package would not have been sent.
Cant's regret being in New Jersey...
Thats nice Simon and am happy for you. 40 hours per week means working about 5 or 6 hours per day - that means you can take on another job as well and have 2 incomes? Maybe you can enlighten us further on this option.......

Thats nice Simon and am happy for you. 40 hours per week means working about 5 or 6 hours per day - that means you can take on another job as well and have 2 incomes? Maybe you can enlighten us further on this option.......

Most people work 5 day weeks so it is 8 hours a day Mon-Fri.
Not sure if Simon's job is like this but this is what is generally understood by a 40-hour week.

my CN AF77****High number...i have hopes and praying God to see me and my family through.The waiting is too loong..i can see the visa bulleting interviews range is low..does it mean i can wait till Aug-Sept 2015 for interview? pls advice

my CN AF77****High number...i have hopes and praying God to see me and my family through.The waiting is too loong..i can see the visa bulleting interviews range is low..does it mean i can wait till Aug-Sept 2015 for interview? pls advice

Yes it means you interview isn't likely to happen before August / September 2015 so you just have to keep on waiting.

Sure;the two guys who were picked had other jobs in America most jobs are done on shifts-This guys will now earn $13+ 11=$24=In summary.
They work for an average 16 hours.The secret of the second job is that you look for what they call group homes-this are jobs that are not labor intensive and you spend the 8 hours resting and watching over your client..Read more about group homes..

What are group homes in the USA?
How are they operated?
Who owns them?
Who pays you?
On average how much are you paid?
What kind of clients do you serve?
What do people perceive them to be, Is it true that this.. and that... happens in the group homes?

Most people work 5 day weeks so it is 8 hours a day Mon-Fri.
Not sure if Simon's job is like this but this is what is generally understood by a 40-hour week.
Sure:the official time is 5 days,8hours mon-friday (any extra is considered over time and you get paid as well)

Sure;the two guys who were picked had other jobs in America most jobs are done on shifts-This guys will now earn $13+ 11=$24=In summary.
They work for an average 16 hours.The secret of the second job is that you look for what they call group homes-this are jobs that are not labor intensive and you spend the 8 hours resting and watching over your client..Read more about group homes..
wow! that's quite a nice trick and good way to earn some extra dosh! Is this taxable or it varies? Hope you get your SSN ASAP.

Yes it means you interview isn't likely to happen before August / September 2015 so you just have to keep on waiting.
Take heart bro.Those who accompanied me yesterday kenya dv 2014 and had a similar case number as yours 2014af000070-79 are the ones who got picked for a job while I was told to wait.. since I didn't have my SSN.Same case will happen to you,(being ahead of dv 2016 guyz)

wow! that's quite a nice trick and good way to earn some extra dosh! Is this taxable or it varies? Hope you get your SSN ASAP.
Have no idea about taxes...Man without SSN: YOU ARE AS DEAD AS A DODO.You just SALIVATE as guyz enjoy their their delicacies.You are in a self imposed prison-counting days as my terms is almost ending..

Now another job am almost guaranteed of once I have all the documentation plus the CDL-Is being a subcontractor you dont own a truck no liabilities attached all you need is THE CDL.Can't wait for this...Three Kenyans who are hardly 2 years here are now earning $6000-$10,000/=am NOT only a witness to this but have moved with one guy in his truck loaded and offloaded cargo and he collected a weekly cheque of $2,500/=Whats the trick of the business...won't talk more about this for now...

Last edited:
Take heart bro.Those who accompanied me yesterday kenya dv 2014 and had a similar case number as yours 2014af000070-79 are the ones who got picked for a job while I was told to wait.. since I didn't have my SSN.Same case will happen to you,(being ahead of dv 2016 guyz)
atleast there is some hope..thax

Simon can atleast highlight some questions askd during the interview and shed some lights abt the affidavit of support. does your host/sponsor fill the affidavit and sends it directly to the embassy and does the KCC contact the host in DS260.

I have a little problem with your atithmetic , unless the two jobs run concurrently which is unlikely. I assume you are talking about two shifts, one at 13$/hr and the other at 11$/hr. the average of that is 12$/hr.
You need to figure out if you are not better off foregoing one shift for school and rest.

Simon can atleast highlight some questions askd during the interview and shed some lights abt the affidavit of support. does your host/sponsor fill the affidavit and sends it directly to the embassy and does the KCC contact the host in DS260.
I will be willing to answer your question..but I fear you will want more info..I just wish and pray that you may take some time search,read,re-read the previous posts as the TOPIC is well covered in previous posts.However no one is barred to answer you as this just a public forum.

I have a little problem with your atithmetic , unless the two jobs run concurrently which is unlikely. I assume you are talking about two shifts, one at 13$/hr and the other at 11$/hr. the average of that is 12$/hr.
You need to figure out if you are not better off foregoing one shift for school and rest.
The BOTTOM LINE is that people here survive on 2 jobs and sometimes three-NOT TO SCARE YOU but the pattern and style of how they do it ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE STEPPED HERE CAN TELL...in the meantime take my words(1+1 =3)

The BOTTOM LINE is that people here survive on 2 jobs and sometimes three-NOT TO SCARE YOU but the pattern and style of how they do it ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE STEPPED HERE CAN TELL...in the meantime take my words(1+1 =3)

I've "stepped here" and I have the same problem with your arithmetic that Usken_go has. 1 + 1 = 2 - even in America.

There are some jobs (union based generally) where workers are in teams and everyone in the team will be paid when anyone in the team is working (an example is longshoremen), but those jobs are incredibly rare (and the jobs are passed down within families).

I've "stepped here" and I have the same problem with your arithmetic that Usken_go has. 1 + 1 = 2 - even in America.

There are some jobs (union based generally) where workers are in teams and everyone in the team will be paid when anyone in the team is working (an example is longshoremen), but those jobs are incredibly rare (and the jobs are passed down within families).
Am still learning how...may be to paraphrase it;Is it true or possible that some work for 16 hours,if yes,how.Still a puzzle to me ..That's why I talked about the pattern they follow is Unknown to me.During the first gathering almost all attendees had 2 jobs...Let me set foot on one job to learn the other