• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hi everyone!
I have an important question about the affidavit of support.
If mom or anyone else could help me, I would be very very grateful!
So... the person willing to sponsor me has this situation:

About $11,000 in Savings Account
About $6,000 in Checking Account
730 Credit Score
No Foreclosures
No Bankruptcies
No Reposessions
Owns Land / House

He also has a $50,000 school debt.

Do you think that won't be enough and I have to find someone else?
I want to remind you I am an F1 student with barely any money in my personal account and relying mostly on family and friends abroad and here.

Hi everyone!

730 Credit Score
No Foreclosures
No Bankruptcies
No Reposessions
Owns Land / House

I want to remind you I am an F1 student with barely any money in my personal account and relying mostly on family and friends abroad and here.

Is your sponsor currently employed? Do you know what his income is and how many people are in his household?

Hi everyone!

730 Credit Score
No Foreclosures
No Bankruptcies
No Reposessions
Owns Land / House

I was also in F1 visa. I got selected for 2014 DV from Asia. I was never asked for affidavit of support.
The only documents required by my field office were
Birth certificate
Police clearance report from the state I was living,
High school certificate
current i-20, official sealed transcript from the college I was enrolled in,
I-693 medical,
Dv fee paid receipt etc.

I was also in F1 visa. I got selected for 2014 DV from Asia. I was never asked for affidavit of support.
The only documents required by my field office were
Birth certificate
Police clearance report from the state I was living,
High school certificate
current i-20, official sealed transcript from the college I was enrolled in,
I-693 medical,
Dv fee paid receipt etc.

The fact that you weren't asked for an affidavit does not mean people in F1 status do not get asked to present one.

IL is sent via USPS.
Thank you for the response. A follow-up question: I imagine that there is not an across-the-board standard and it most likely varies from one FO to the next, but typically and on average how much advance notice is given of an interview date?

Thank you for the response. A follow-up question: I imagine that there is not an across-the-board standard and it most likely varies from one FO to the next, but typically and on average how much advance notice is given of an interview date?

Average time is about 2 - 4 weeks notice.

Is your sponsor currently employed? Do you know what his income is and how many people are in his household?

He is currently employed but makes less than $30,000 annually. He is the only person in his household.

I asked somebody else today, who I know is in a better situation, hoping they agree. But right now this person above is the only real option :/
What do you think?

He is currently employed but makes less than $30,000 annually. He is the only person in his household.

I asked somebody else today, who I know is in a better situation, hoping they agree. But right now this person above is the only real option :/
What do you think?

The 30k is sufficient.

What do you think?

He doesn't need to be earning close to $30,000 if he's the only one in his household. In order to sponsor you, he's only required to be earning roughly about $19,000 P/A. The fact that he owns his own home is an additional plus if he wants to include that information on the I-134 form. His credit score or school debt are immaterial.

Attached is the link to USCIS's income poverty guideline that you can refer to for a better understanding of how much a sponsor is required to have:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Thank you very much, mom. Your help is always much valued and appreciated.
Thanks to you too, Simon.
I have an additional question, on the spreadsheet it says vaccinations for MMR and Flu (now it's flu season) are needed, along with Tdap.
I have Tdap, but the CS said I need MMR, flu and varicella. Is varicella required then?
This process is way too expensive :/ But anyway, not here to complain... just hope everything goes smoothly in the end!

Thank you very much, mom. Your help is always much valued and appreciated.
Thanks to you too, Simon.
I have an additional question, on the spreadsheet it says vaccinations for MMR and Flu (now it's flu season) are needed, along with Tdap.
I have Tdap, but the CS said I need MMR, flu and varicella. Is varicella required then?
This process is way too expensive :/ But anyway, not here to complain... just hope everything goes smoothly in the end!

Yep, you need varicella if you've never had chicken pox. If you had chicken pox either as a kid or anytime in the past, then you just tell the CS you've had chicken pox and you wouldn't be required yo take the varicella vaccine. But if you've never had CP, then be sure to get the vaccine, don't try to wiggle out of getting it for your own good.

Thank you for your previous answer!
I have other questions regarding DS-260 that we both unlocked
1 In addition to my french passport I have a passport from ivory coast but it expired 4 years ago. I mentioned it when I applied for my previous visa. Should I mention it in DS-260 when they ask : Do you hold a passport from the country/region of origin (nationality) above?
2 My wife was born in guinea and on her birth certificate issued in guinea the first name of her father is spelled ERIC and the first name of her mother is spelled MAMA DAMA. On the marriage certificate (issued by france this time because we got married there and we are French) their first names are this time ERICK and MAMADAMA. How do you think she should spell the first name of her parents on the DS-260 ? Could it be an issue at the interview or during the process of the AOS package ?
3 She also has a second birth certificate issued by France where the name of her father is Eric (the same spelling as on the marriage certificate) so it would at least solve the name issue regarding her father marriage certificate but it is our understanding that the birth certificate for AOS should be issued by the country of birth right ?
4 Despite we got married after playing the lottery we don't have to send the marriage certificate to KCC, disclosing the wedding in the DS 260 and in the AOS package is enough right ?
5 after we resubmit the DS 260 are we supposed to receive another second notification letter?

6 Just to be sure, if the primary applicant has a E-2 visa as a derivative (spouse of a E-2 visa holder) we are still entitled to do AOS ?
Thank you very much for your help as always!

Does anyone have any info on whether the NBC closes for the holidays and if so when and for how long? 3 weeks since biometrics and trying to work out if there is a chance of receiving EAD before xmas..

Thank you for your previous answer!
I have other questions regarding DS-260 that we both unlocked
1 In addition to my french passport I have a passport from ivory coast but it expired 4 years ago. I mentioned it when I applied for my previous visa. Should I mention it in DS-260 when they ask : Do you hold a passport from the country/region of origin (nationality) above?
2 My wife was born in guinea and on her birth certificate issued in guinea the first name of her father is spelled ERIC and the first name of her mother is spelled MAMA DAMA. On the marriage certificate (issued by france this time because we got married there and we are French) their first names are this time ERICK and MAMADAMA. How do you think she should spell the first name of her parents on the DS-260 ? Could it be an issue at the interview or during the process of the AOS package ?
3 She also has a second birth certificate issued by France where the name of her father is Eric (the same spelling as on the marriage certificate) so it would at least solve the name issue regarding her father marriage certificate but it is our understanding that the birth certificate for AOS should be issued by the country of birth right ?
4 Despite we got married after playing the lottery we don't have to send the marriage certificate to KCC, disclosing the wedding in the DS 260 and in the AOS package is enough right ?
5 after we resubmit the DS 260 are we supposed to receive another second notification letter?

6 Just to be sure, if the primary applicant has a E-2 visa as a derivative (spouse of a E-2 visa holder) we are still entitled to do AOS ?
Thank you very much for your help as always!

1. Yes

2. Spell the name the same way the parents would spell the name/the way it's spelt on the parents' documents. IOS aren't too concerned about the parents at this stage, they're not direct beneficiaries. But spelling the name as it appears on their documents makes it easy for future sponsoring opportunities.

3. See 2 above.

4. Yes it should be enough since you got married before the DV selection, but if it makes you feel any better, email a copy of the marriage certificate to KCC. Of course you will need to include it with your AOS package.

5. No

6. Assuming you haven't violated the terms of your admission, then yes you qualify for AOS.

Bulletin just came out and I am below the cut off number for February, in the advanced notification section.
This means I could send my package this month right (with the memo attached)?
I am waiting for some lab results and my DV fee receipt then I will be ready!!

Last edited:
Bulletin just came out and I am below the cut off number for February, in the advanced notification section.
This means I could send my package this month right (with the memo attached)?
I am waiting for some lab results and my DV fee receipt then I will be ready!!

Yes that is correct. There is a chance that they (incorrectly) reject it, so including the memo and highlighting the early filing text is a good idea.

I am in the process of filling I-485. I got stock in the part2; what is application type? does any body have sample file or instructions based on DV category? same question for spouse; what will be the application type for the spouse? Your advice is appreciated!

Jawan14

1. Yes

2. Spell the name the same way the parents would spell the name/the way it's spelt on the parents' documents. IOS aren't too concerned about the parents at this stage, they're not direct beneficiaries. But spelling the name as it appears on their documents makes it easy for future sponsoring opportunities.

3. See 2 above.

4. Yes it should be enough since you got married before the DV selection, but if it makes you feel any better, email a copy of the marriage certificate to KCC. Of course you will need to include it with your AOS package.

5. No

6. Assuming you haven't violated the terms of your admission, then yes you qualify for AOS.

Thank you !

I am in the process of filling I-485. I got stock in the part2; what is application type? does any body have sample file or instructions based on DV category? same question for spouse; what will be the application type for the spouse? Your advice is appreciated!

Jawan14
Primary applicant: check box H and write in words something like " 2015 diversity visa lottery winner"
for Spouse: Check box B (not box H)

Hello Everyone,

My CN is AS 57XX (Nepal). I was wondering whether if i am in safe state or not (The visa bulletin seems to be very slow, esp with AS) . I have planned on shooting for AOS. Any suggestions?