• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 Hopefuls - It's that time again!!!

hello future dv winners,
I'm from Nigeria,35 years...I've been playing dv lottery since the inception in 95 and not won.I'm hoping to win in 2014 before the republicans scrap the lottery or morph it into something else that would disenfranchise millions of people,particularly in Africa.
I'm looking forward to relocating to America with my young family and make a better life for them as my country's leaders have utterly failed us.
As we await May 1st,Gods blessings will precede us and clear away any obstacles that may lie across our path.
Wish you best of luck brother!!!!!!!

i applied for the first time this year and i know come may 1st i am a winner.With God all things are possible

iam 17yrs old.. First timer, applied october 4th. May 1st is a massive wednesday :) wish ya'll luck.

@osazee you are 17? I dont recall exactly but what is the minimum age to apply? I thought is 18?!?!

I thought so to, I knew I couldn't enter back in 2011 cause of this. If that is the case and you entered at 17, your entry would have been deemed invalid and confirmation number voided. Hate to say it but thats just what would of happened.:(

Keeping the hopes up...

...I really hope it will be me this year! And I'm 37 :)

Best of luck to you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
there is no minimum age to apply for the dv, all you need is a high school cert. even if you are fifteen and you have a high school cert you are qualified. you can check the dv2014 instructions for more clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
@tiwanna as posted in this thread, some 2-3 posts ago, I wasn't sure about a minimum age requirement. And as you pointed, there is no minimum age requirement for the DV program (just the education and other rules that one have to take into consideration if winning the spot and going for the interview)
I am a bit confused and I don't know why this 'age rule' is missing because, from my point of view, is a bit strange letting a minor apply for the DV program as primary applicant. Just consider that, being a minor and having only HS degree is pretty difficult to live on your own in a foreign country and without having the possibility to ask for governmental aids (as becoming public charge is reason for deportation and the GC is revoked)...
More to this, is kind a difficult for one to have the HS degree at less than 17-18 years of age (the only 2 possibilities - attending school from a pretty young age or being a genius and studying some '2 years in 1')...
Anyway...thanks for clearing things up. You're right: there is no minimum age requirements. But I will remain confused on things I wrote above...

@tiwanna as posted in this thread, some 2-3 posts ago, I wasn't sure about a minimum age requirement. And as you pointed, there is no minimum age requirement for the DV program (just the education and other rules that one have to take into consideration if winning the spot and going for the interview)
I am a bit confused and I don't know why this 'age rule' is missing because, from my point of view, is a bit strange letting a minor apply for the DV program as primary applicant. Just consider that, being a minor and having only HS degree is pretty difficult to live on your own in a foreign country and without having the possibility to ask for governmental aids (as becoming public charge is reason for deportation and the GC is revoked)...
More to this, is kind a difficult for one to have the HS degree at less than 17-18 years of age (the only 2 possibilities - attending school from a pretty young age or being a genius and studying some '2 years in 1')...
Anyway...thanks for clearing things up. You're right: there is no minimum age requirements. But I will remain confused on things I wrote above...

The High School Education requirement pretty much eliminates anyone under 17 since the vast majority of people graduate at 17 or 18, with most at 18. That requirement is just to apply and get to the interview stage if you get selected. If you apply at 17, and get selected, by the time you get to the interview many, many months later, you will be 18 or close to 19 and either in post-secondary education or working so not exactly a naïve, lost little babe in the woods. At the interview, they'll look at the things that you are confused about - whether the young selectee can make it on their own. There's a lot of discretion used by the CO. I'm sure they'd look at a number of other factors so as to make sure the young selectee won't end up destitute.

If this issue was a big concern or problem, I'm sure they'd have changed the requirements by now and increased the minimum age but I don't believe there's been a minimum age requirement since the DV was instigated (I could be wrong).

this is my story and i think failure is null dis time i hve played for 4th time when i was schooling and now i think is time to go for win
and success in the lottery.wishing everyone good luck in de lottery and i hope dis time all members here will be selected as winners

i'll be 18yrs old jully 1th, would there be any problem??.. My date of birth is july 11th 1995. When i applied my entry was valid, and i got my confirmation number.. Checking my entrant status wont be a problem would it?

iam almost 18 and i completed my high school education in 2011. Iam in the university studying computer science, and i work as a primary school teacher.. And my aunty is a US citizen. I think i have a pretty good chance upon successful selection.

The DV program select people randomly, you don't have better chance to get selected if you study computer science or have us citizens in your family, everyone is equals.

To all DV2014 applicants, I wish you the very best of luck and I pray that all selectees on May 1st will go through. Everyone has an equal chance of being selected.

In my case I had never played the DV Lottery until I was sitting at home in October 2012 bored out of my mind and decided to fill the form as a joke and ended up being selected on May 1st so I got lucky on my first go and I hope some of you will be equally as lucky as I know many play it for years and don't get selected.

The key to the DV comes in three areas and I will elaborate as follows:

- Patience - you will be two years into the DV by the time you get to your interview and the stress is going to really get to you (like it has to me) but the key is not to stress and be patient. This is the time you'll have to be able to do your research and solidify your reasons about going to America. Many people who haven't been there think it's a bed of roses waiting for them (which it is not) and end up disappointed when faced with reality. For those who believe in God, this is the time to pray your guts off and ask for strength and the ability and means to take this step.

- Documentation/Information - make sure your documentation is properly filled out and you begin compiling all your readily available documents early e.g. high school diplomas, any certificates, marriage certificates, divorce certificates, birth certificates etc. Get these things together EARLY and DO NOT wait till you are told of your interview because you don't want to be in a situation of rushing at the last minute and having problems obtaining these items. Even if you don't get selected on May 1st, keep these things handy. Don't BS the KCC or your respective US Embassy. Tell them the truth about your intentions because if you lie on the form and get away with it you will definitely get caught out at the interview. Give them authentic original documentation and truthful information. Integrity will go a long way in America and you can't cheat your way through the US system.

- Finances - my friends for those who have never been to America, that place costs money and I mean REAL money. Get your finances in order and make sure you have a decent amount of savings handy. If you have an affidavit of support from an employer and a job waiting for you then you're lucky but for those who will land there without jobs and have to look for a job will have to live off their own savings. America like any place is where you can be comfortable if: a) You're wealthy, b) You have a good job, c) you're willing to work your guts off and make it.

Oh and for those who end up with high case numbers, don't panic. You'll have your shot unless they do a DV-2008 and give cut-offs to cut you out. Every year the chances have been equal for all case numbers.

Also remember that some matters such as medical checkups (in the event you are granted an interview) and police certificates have a validity period and make sure you check this in your respective country.

Courage et bonne chance a tout!

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - Not Yet
Police Clearance - Not Yet
Medicals - Not Yet
Interviews - Hopefully in July/August
Visa Pick up - Hopefully in July/August
Port of Entry - New York JFK