• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, I will. Thanks for all your help thus far! :)

I just received a notification from USCIS saying they received returned mail. They opened a service request to have it sent back to me. It's probably the biometrics notice

explanation for unautorized emplyment

Let's set the records straight here, paying taxes is NOT what is likely to get you disqualified. What is likely to get you disqualified is the fact that you undertook unauthorized employment!

The best thing you can do for your case is to tell the truth if the IO asks questions about the unauthorized employment, own up to it and provide whatever explanation you can as to why you did it. It is never a good idea to try and cover up the fact that you worked when you shouldn't have, so don't think that things might have been okay if you never paid taxes on this unauthorized work to start with.

thank you for your answer Sm1smom
so here is another question in my head, What will be the best explanation?

Well, you may go with what the rep told you and leave the section blank, it's your call. What I do know is that not all the USCIS front line reps (both those answering phone calls or those attending to infopass appointment) have a clear understanding of immigration matters unfortunately. By telling you to leave the section blank, I'm confident what that agent said is BS!

However, I wouldn't suggest to other applicants who have A# to leave the section blank. There's a reason that section is included in the I-485 form. Even if a new A# will be issued, providing that information makes it easier to consolidate all the file(s) USCIS already has about an applicant. There have been cases in the past where a final decision couldn't or wouldn't be made for months until all the immigration files for an applicant have been consolidated. A DV 2013 applicant had a case approved (she was the principal applicant) while that of her husband was pending for a couple of months because USCIS was waiting to consolidate his file.

Of course I'm not saying you will run into similar trouble if you leave out the A# in your case but I believe in being safe than sorry!

I agree with your suggestions. I was in fact transfer to a different representative because the first two people I talked to as soon as I reached customer service did not know the answer. (the first one gave me an answer and then changed his mind and told me to get an info pass -.-")

I called them because I have 2 Alien numbers. On the current card, which expires towards the end of April,, I have one number, on my new card, which will begin when the one I have now expires, has a completely different number ( for some reason they just changed it). Which number should I use? This question came up today at the doctor's appointment as well because it asks for it on the medical form too. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your answer Sm1smom
so here is another question in my head, What will be the best explanation?

I'm sorry I can't manufacture an appropriate explanation for you to give to the IO if asked why you took up unauthorized employment except own up to the fact like I posted previously.

I agree with your suggestions. I was in fact transfer to a different representative because the first two people I talked to as soon as I reached customer service did not know the answer. (the first one gave me an answer and then changed his mind and told me to get an info pass -.-")

I called them because I have 2 Alien numbers. On the current card, which expires towards the end of April,, I have one number, on my new card, which will begin when the one I have now expires, has a completely different number ( for some reason they just changed it). Which number should I use? This question came up today at the doctor's appointment as well because it asks for it on the medical form too. What do you think?

Oh yeah! USCIS at it's finest, I guess. :rolleyes:

In general they're only supposed to issue one A# to an applicant, regardless of what the application is about. Most of the time whoever handles a new application is too lazy to cross check or confirm the previously issued A#, so they take the easy way out and issue a new one, which now creates a problem for the applicant either at the time of GC application or when they apply for citizenship. They withhold the final decision until all the files have been consolidated and they've confirmed all the numbers belong to the same person.

Anyway, in your case I would suggest you continue using the old one, the number does not expire even when the card itself expires.

That is good to hear...lets pray soon, we will hear from them
Nothing much. I went to an InfoPass appointment a couple of days ago and after speaking to multiple people and lots of waiting they told me the supervisor responsible for my case was not in the office. They also told me that they have my case and it looks good. The officer informed the section head of the case and she believes interviews will be assigned 'soon'.

Hi Sm1smom,
Just a quick question,when i submitted my 1-485 form with my bank statement which had a balance of over 20k dollars for myself and my wife(joint account).since i have been in the United States, i have not picked up any paid job.my question is as follows:
1. Is it a problem if i don't go with the filled out form 1-135 from my sponsor?
2. Will it be a problem that i don't have a job since i came into the United states?
Supposing i was ask the question of how i have been financing myself,what do i have to say. Thanks your reply will be highly appreciated.

Hi Sm1smom,
Just a quick question,when i submitted my 1-485 form my bank statement was included, which had a balance of over 20k dollars for myself and my wife(joint account).since i have been in the United States, i have not picked up any paid job.my question is as follows:
1. Is it a problem if i don't go with the filled out form 1-134 from my sponsor?
2. Will it be a problem that i don't have a job since i came into the United states?
Supposing i was ask the question of how i have been financing myself,what do i have to say. Thanks your reply will be highly appreciated.

Oh yeah! USCIS at it's finest, I guess. :rolleyes:

In general they're only supposed to issue one A# to an applicant, regardless of what the application is about. Most of the time whoever handles a new application is too lazy to cross check or confirm the previously issued A#, so they take the easy way out and issue a new one, which now creates a problem for the applicant either at the time of GC application or when they apply for citizenship. They withhold the final decision until all the files have been consolidated and they've confirmed all the numbers belong to the same person.

Anyway, in your case I would suggest you continue using the old one, the number does not expire even when the card itself expires.

Ok I will do that then, thank you! I will put a copy of my new EAD in the package anyway, so that they also have the new number.. Hopefully this won't delay my process.

Nothing much. I went to an InfoPass appointment a couple of days ago and after speaking to multiple people and lots of waiting they told me the supervisor responsible for my case was not in the office. They also told me that they have my case and it looks good. The officer informed the section head of the case and she believes interviews will be assigned 'soon'.

DvPerm, dude, I wish from bottom of my heart that you receive the IL as soon as possible.

Hi Sm1smom,
Just a quick question,when i submitted my 1-485 form my bank statement was included, which had a balance of over 20k dollars for myself and my wife(joint account).since i have been in the United States, i have not picked up any paid job.my question is as follows:
1. Is it a problem if i don't go with the filled out form 1-134 from my sponsor?

If someone is willing to fill out an I-134 for you, I suggest you get it and attend your interview with it as a back up evidence. While being able to show that you have a substantial amount in your account to get you and your wife going, the IO may be legitimately concerned as to how you intend to continue supporting yourself when you run out of your savings, considering the fact that you came into the US on a tourist visa and since getting an EAD card in Nov. 2013, you haven't secured an employment. Of course your educational qualification and work experience may speak favorably for you, and the IO may not think you will have any problem getting a job or supporting your family down the road.

If asked as to how you've been sustaining yourself, you tell the IO exactly what you've been doing. If you've be using your savings to sustain yourself, you tell the IO that, and if someone else has been footing all of your bills, you tell the IO that also.

Thanks sm1mom,
I have been buying and selling cars(buying here in the US and sending to Africa,were i normally sell them, will the issue of taxes arise when i tell the IO that has been the way we have been sustaining ourselves here in the US and secondly,do i have to show proof,i mean evidence of the cars i have bought here in the US that i sent to Africa for sale? Thanks mom

If someone is willing to fill out an I-134 for you, I suggest you get it and attend your interview with it as a back up evidence. While being able to show that you have a substantial amount in your account to get you and your wife going, the IO may be legitimately concerned as to how you intend to continue supporting yourself when you run out of your savings, considering the fact that you came into the US on a tourist visa and since getting an EAD card in Nov. 2013, you haven't secured an employment. Of course your educational qualification and work experience may speak favorably for you, and the IO may not think you will have any problem getting a job or supporting your family down the road.

If asked as to how you've been sustaining yourself, you tell the IO exactly what you've been doing. If you've be using your savings to sustain yourself, you tell the IO that, and if someone else has been footing all of your bills, you tell the IO that also.

Technically, the Chicago Lockbox is supposed to treat any DV package that does not contain the DV payment receipt as incomplete and return the package to the sender, however I'm not aware they've been doing that. So it's your call wether to take your chance with them or not. You decide.

Thank you, SM1 :D I will prolly play it safe and send it out when I get the receipt.

Thanks sm1mom,
I have been buying and selling cars(buying here in the US and sending to Africa,were i normally sell them, will the issue of taxes arise when i tell the IO that has been the way we have been sustaining ourselves here in the US and secondly,do i have to show proof,i mean evidence of the cars i have bought here in the US that i sent to Africa for sale? Thanks mom

Hmmn! that's a little bit of a grey area. I think you should seek the opinion of a competent immigration attorney on this and hear what their interpretation of the law is with regards to such business transactions.

Did my interview this morning. It was totally disaster. The officer told me that I should apply for OPT since I graduated last December. However, I applied for my EAD card through the lottery. He said that are totally difference cards. Do any of you guys have this problem before? Everything else are fine.

Care to shed a little bit more light on your case? What was your visa status as at the time you sent in your I-485? You graduated in Dec 2013 and didn't bother to apply for OPT and you weren't on any other type of visa? Did you think you were still in F1 status after your graduation? Sounds like your application was denied on grounds of being out of status, and if that is the case, you can no longer use the EAD you currently have either. Sad, but it is what it is.

Did my interview this morning. It was totally disaster. The officer told me that I should apply for OPT since I graduated last December. However, I applied for my EAD card through the lottery. He said that are totally difference cards. Do any of you guys have this problem before? Everything else are fine.

Did your application end up being refused? When did you apply for AOS? After graduation you have a 60-day grace period in which you can stay in the U.S. If during that time you applied for AOS, then it shouldn't have mattered if you applied for F-1 OPT or EAD through DV lottery. In my case, I applied for my OPT extension starting from the end of April to avoid discontinuance at work, since an EAD through DV lottery normally takes longer to be approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.