• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again, I had a quick question regarding how my sponsor on my I-134 form needs to answer field 11 on the I-134. It asks something like (I intend/I do not intend to support the alien in field 3). If he has to select "I intend" since he agreed to fill the form, what is a good amount and a good length of time for him to put down on the form for a single person such as myself.

Note: I am filling out I-134 just to cover my bases. I technically do not need financial support since I currently have a full time job and an H1-B employer sponsor who I will be starting with later this fall. Just want to fill this form out correctly. I appreciate any/all assistance.

Wanted to take a moment and thank you for creating this amazing forum that has answered so many questions regarding the tricky DV process particularly the DV AOS process (special thanks to Sm1smom who always replies promptly). Thanks again!

Your sponsor could be as broad as saying something to the effect: "I intend to furnish food, board and lodging until ...... is able to secure a decent job and apartment to support him/herself". Could say he intends to pay your rents for 6 months (find out the cost of the apartment and indicate the amount), in addition to giving you a monthly stipend allowance of $750 or whatever he's comfortable indicating.

Hello,

I'm one of the selectee for DV. My number will be current in May. So, I will be submitting the package for AOS in April. I have question regarding the medical. I'm 6 months pregnant, and I do not want to take any kind of vaccinations. Will that be a problem or will it delay the process? Can the civil surgeon sign a waiver or something?

Thank you in advance,

I'm afraid, you cannot arbitrarily decide to not take any kind of vaccinations because you're pregnant. An outright refusal to do so will likely result in a denial of your application. However you can discuss this with your CS, and he/she can determine what needs to be waived. USCIS addressed this issue under the Medical Requirements FAQ:

Q. I am pregnant and do not wish to receive any vaccinations. Do I still have to get them to be able to obtain permanent resident status in the United States?
A. If you are pregnant, the CDC's Technical Instructions direct the civil surgeon how to evaluate the vaccines you are able to receive during pregnancy. If the civil surgeon cannot safely administer a required vaccine, he/she will annotate the Form I-693 by marking the vaccine as contraindicated. See link to the right for information on pregnancy and vaccinations in general.

http://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/vaccination-requirements

I couldn't find an answer on here, I did find something on the internet but I want to confirm this with you guys. On form G-325A where it asks for residence in the last five years, do I still add all the addresses I lived at while I was on F-1 here in the US?
On I-485 in the box that asks for the organizations, I have a membership with AOPA-Aircraft owners and pilots association for which I paid a fee and get magazines from. Is such organization supposed to be listed?

Yes and yes to both questions.

For a family of 4, if you can demonstrate an income level of about $24,000, as required by the 2014 Poverty Guidelines, you should be okay. If you're using an I-134, you need to have one issued out by the sponsor to the main applicant, however you can make an extra copy of that form for your spouse. A different affidavit of support is not required to be issued out to whoever is the beneficiary in your case.

Thank you- as always :)

Just sent my AOS package to Chicago lockbox today (case # AS004xxx). I expect to be interviewed sometime in June. Is it possible? If not, based on discussion going on in this forum, it seems like I will have hard time getting a chance of interview because my country (Nepal) already hitting the country limit by July. Will Nepal really hit country limit by July?

How crucial is it to have the DOS payment receipt as part of my I-485 package?

I've sent my payment at the beginning of March and intend to send my package on April 1st.

What do you all think? Should I wait for the receipt or should I just send it out?

Dvperm, any news yet?

Nothing much. I went to an InfoPass appointment a couple of days ago and after speaking to multiple people and lots of waiting they told me the supervisor responsible for my case was not in the office. They also told me that they have my case and it looks good. The officer informed the section head of the case and she believes interviews will be assigned 'soon'.

Hi everybody,
I am about to send my package to Chicago. I have a question....In the section Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status it says "Where applicable, you must include a copy of the Form I-797C Notice of Approval, showing that your Form I-130 or Form I-360 was accepted or approved"
However, since I am under a H1B visa (it will expire June 2015), what I will need to provide is the Form I-797A Notice of Action, right?
Another question...do I need to submit copies of my previous J1 visas?
Thanks,
PAU1

Regarding your first question, what that is requesting is the evidence for the basis of your filing, and in this case, that is your DV selectee notification letter. However yes, you will still include your I-797 to show your current visa status. And yes, you should include copies of your previous J1 visas in the package too.

Just sent my AOS package to Chicago lockbox today (case # AS004xxx). I expect to be interviewed sometime in June. Is it possible? If not, based on discussion going on in this forum, it seems like I will have hard time getting a chance of interview because my country (Nepal) already hitting the country limit by July. Will Nepal really hit country limit by July?

No one here can tell you for certain if you could be possibly interviewed in June. When your interview takes place depends on your FO and their workload (assuming the package you sent in is complete and duly signed in all the required places, and the Chicago Lockbox accepts the package).

Take a look at the previous timelines to see the trend of interview time with regards to your own FO.

How crucial is it to have the DOS payment receipt as part of my I-485 package?

I've sent my payment at the beginning of March and intend to send my package on April 1st.

What do you all think? Should I wait for the receipt or should I just send it out?

Technically, the Chicago Lockbox is supposed to treat any DV package that does not contain the DV payment receipt as incomplete and return the package to the sender, however I'm not aware they've been doing that. So it's your call wether to take your chance with them or not. You decide.

Regarding your first question, what that is requesting is the evidence for the basis of your filing, and in this case, that is your DV selectee notification letter. However yes, you will still include your I-797 to show your current visa status. And yes, you should include copies of your previous J1 visas in the package too.
Thanks!
PAU1

Paid taxes while on F1 Visa

Hello everybody
I am looking here for advise before I go to interview on may and I want to know, what to tell Consul about my form 1099.
Few years ago (2006 and 2007) I've got forms 1099 and than I paid some taxes - probably form 1044.
I know, that I shouldn't work while on F1 Visa. At that time I didn't think that paying taxes will be somethig that can disqualify me form getting GC.
If anybody of you were or is in similar situtation and know what to tell Consul if he ask about it, please share your knoledge with us/me on the forum.
I will be very grateful

Thank you

I called USCIS regarding the Alien number to type on the forms. I was told that my Alien number(which appears on my EAD) doesn't count because it is associated with my F-1 visa and she said it's going to be different number once I get my application approved. I should therefore leave the box blank.
Just thought I'd share this since I remember reading to type whatever A number appears on the EAD.

No one here can tell you for certain if you could be possibly interviewed in June. When your interview takes place depends on your FO and their workload (assuming the package you sent in is complete and duly signed in all the required places, and the Chicago Lockbox accepts the package).

Take a look at the previous timelines to see the trend of interview time with regards to your own FO.

My field office is Norfolk, Virginia. I think it is not a very busy office. There are not many people doing dv based AOS in Norfolk in the list. I found 2 of them. It took one person more than 3 months for the whole process in 2011 but I found another person whom it took just above two and a half month for AOS process from sending the document to Chicago lockbox to interview.

Hello everybody
I am looking here for advise before I go to interview on may and I want to know, what to tell Consul about my form 1099.
Few years ago (2006 and 2007) I've got forms 1099 and than I paid some taxes - probably form 1044.
I know, that I shouldn't work while on F1 Visa. At that time I didn't think that paying taxes will be somethig that can disqualify me form getting GC.
If anybody of you were or is in similar situtation and know what to tell Consul if he ask about it, please share your knoledge with us/me on the forum.
I will be very grateful

Thank you

Let's set the records straight here, paying taxes is NOT what is likely to get you disqualified. What is likely to get you disqualified is the fact that you undertook unauthorized employment!

The best thing you can do for your case is to tell the truth if the IO asks questions about the unauthorized employment, own up to it and provide whatever explanation you can as to why you did it. It is never a good idea to try and cover up the fact that you worked when you shouldn't have, so don't think that things might have been okay if you never paid taxes on this unauthorized work to start with.

Cool! Hopefully that should solve this problem of not receiving your USCIS mail. You may need to constantly monitor/check your case online, in addition to calling USCIS on a regular basis to ensure you don't miss your IL too. It's just weird that 2 letters that ought to have been delivered never showed up. When you do go for your interview, ensure you also verify your mailing address with the IO.

Notice the "mom" at the end of Sm1smom? I guess that should make me a "Ma'am" then, right? :cool:

Yes, that definitely solved the problem. A day after my biometrics appointment, I had a letter in my mailbox from a Field Officer informing me of a scheduled appointment on March 24. It simply said I should bring my ID (s) with me to the exams room. Reason? It simply said: I-485 Application For Permanent Residence (Diversity). After a few inquiries, USCIS told me it's most likely the interview letter. If so, I must say, the process has been much faster than I thought.

Very thankful! :)

I called USCIS regarding the Alien number to type on the forms. I was told that my Alien number(which appears on my EAD) doesn't count because it is associated with my F-1 visa and she said it's going to be different number once I get my application approved. I should therefore leave the box blank.
Just thought I'd share this since I remember reading to type whatever A number appears on the EAD.

Well, you may go with what the rep told you and leave the section blank, it's your call. What I do know is that not all the USCIS front line reps (both those answering phone calls or those attending to infopass appointment) have a clear understanding of immigration matters unfortunately. By telling you to leave the section blank, I'm confident what that agent said is BS!

However, I wouldn't suggest to other applicants who have A# to leave the section blank. There's a reason that section is included in the I-485 form. Even if a new A# will be issued, providing that information makes it easier to consolidate all the file(s) USCIS already has about an applicant. There have been cases in the past where a final decision couldn't or wouldn't be made for months until all the immigration files for an applicant have been consolidated. A DV 2013 applicant had a case approved (she was the principal applicant) while that of her husband was pending for a couple of months because USCIS was waiting to consolidate his file.

Of course I'm not saying you will run into similar trouble if you leave out the A# in your case but I believe in being safe than sorry!

Yes, that definitely solved the problem. A day after my biometrics appointment, I had a letter in my mailbox from a Field Officer informing me of a scheduled appointment on March 24. It simply said I should bring my ID (s) with me to the exams room. Reason? It simply said: I-485 Application For Permanent Residence (Diversity). After a few inquiries, USCIS told me it's most likely the interview letter. If so, I must say, the process has been much faster than I thought.

Very thankful! :)

Wow! Congratulations on receiving your IL, I believe that's what that letter is. And that was close! Probably would have also been returned if you hadn't taken the necessary steps to rectify what was causing USPS to return those mail.

Just ensure you show up at the FO with more than just the ID that the letter mentioned. Go with the original copies of all your documents, both for the ones you've already included with the package you sent in and any other thing that will help with your case.

Good luck!

Well, you may go with what the rep told you and leave the section blank, it's your call. What I do know is that not all the USCIS front line reps (both those answering phone calls or those attending to infopass appointment) have a clear understanding of immigration matters unfortunately. By telling you to leave the section blank, I'm confident what that agent said is BS!

However, I wouldn't suggest to other applicants who have A# to leave the section blank. There's a reason that section is included in the I-485 form. Even if a new A# will be issued, providing that information makes it easier to consolidate all the file(s) USCIS already has about an applicant. There have been cases in the past where a final decision couldn't or wouldn't be made for months until all the immigration files for an applicant have been consolidated. A DV 2013 applicant had a case approved (she was the principal applicant) while that of her husband was pending for a couple of months because USCIS was waiting to consolidate his file.

Of course I'm not saying you will run into similar trouble if you leave out the A# in your case but I believe in being safe than sorry!

Brambo90,

I included my previous EAD card A# on my I-485 and my case is moving more than fine, thankfully. They did issue a new A#, but Sm1smom's suggestion definitely makes sense.

Of course, this is just my personal experience

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.