• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, for a moment I assumed you were doing CP. Just realized we are in AOS thread. I had to edit out my last post.

Are you doing AOS (already are in the US) or CP (are outside the US)?

Sorry, for a moment I assumed you were doing CP. Just realized we are in AOS thread. I had to edit out my last post.

Are you doing AOS (already are in the US) or CP (are outside the US)?

I am doing AOS.
I initially assumed that the number given in the Bulletin would mean that 20'500 would be current in March, not now...
Thank you!!!
(I finally found how to include the signature...)

Hi Surcouf! :)

Your initial assumption is correct: your number is current in March based on the February VB. Therefore, you can send your AOS packet as early as February 1.

I am doing AOS.
I initially assumed that the number given in the Bulletin would mean that 20'500 would be current in March, not now...
Thank you!!!
(I finally found how to include the signature...)

Hi Sm1smon:

I've got one question for you. Today when I went to FO, the officer first asked whether I filed the Work Permit and I said no because I am under valid H1B and I didn't apply for Work Permit. He told me that when you apply for 485, you change the status by filing this form. I told him I am DV lottery applicants and then he said ok and then it shouldn't be a problem. He was first under the impression that this is based on Employment basis. Anyone, I was wondering if you did file for work permit or not? Shouldn't I apply for work permit? Any thoughts? Thanks

No, you're not required to file for a work permit, not unless your H1B visa could possibly expire while waiting to for your I-485 application to be adjudicated, which would have enabled you to continue working if that was the case. There's no reason for you to change status from H1B to 'pending' - the H1B is a dual intent visa as a matter of fact.

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question about the AOS package.
On the check-lists I see that it says ''Evidence of Financial support'' and below 3 options:
a) bank statement
b) copies of tax return
c) Form I 134 - Affidavit of support.

I'm a little confused if I need one of these forms at all at this point.
My number is EU 16*** so I need to send my documents soon so your response would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question about the AOS package.
On the check-lists I see that it says ''Evidence of Financial support'' and below 3 options:
a) bank statement
b) copies of tax return
c) Form I 134 - Affidavit of support.

I'm a little confused if I need one of these forms at all at this point.
My number is EU 16*** so I need to send my documents soon so your response would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Ponse, the point of that item is that you need to demonstrate how you will support yourself. So those three items are suggestions that people ave used, but you should show one of those or something else that proves you can survive there. It's your choice.

About the status change in USA from F1 to Permanent resident

Hello Friends,

I am currently in USA in F1 visa and I have also won DV 2014 lottery. I my case number is 7XXX. I have only received my first letter and waiting for the second to come. But have received an email regarding AOS. Is that the second notification letter or I shall be informed through online check status of DV program? I wanted to know how long will it take for case number like mine to come for the second letter processing.

According to the visa bulletin, for March only 4250 candidates are to be processed for Aisa. As I have to file my status change application before Sepptember 30, I doubt I would be able to do so seeing the current processing case numbers for March.

And one more thing, if I receive my second letter, what sholud be the first step that I should do while being in USA.

As I am new here, I am finding difficulty to know about the system and all.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Friends,

I am currently in USA in F1 visa and I have also won DV 2014 lottery. I my case number is 7XXX. I have only received my first letter and waiting for the second to come. But have received an email regarding AOS. Is that the second notification letter or I shall be informed through online check status of DV program? I wanted to know how long will it take for case number like mine to come for the second letter processing.

According to the visa bulletin, for March only 4250 candidates are to be processed for Aisa. As I have to file my status change application before Sepptember 30, I doubt I would be able to do so seeing the current processing case numbers for March.

And one more thing, if I receive my second letter, what sholud be the first step that I should do while being in USA.

As I am new here, I am finding difficulty to know about the system and all.

Thanks

I was about to reply in your other post to find this thread but you found it already.

OK here is what you need to do. Read this thread, completely, from the beginning. Do that as soon as possible, because it is important you do things correctly. Once you have read through the thread, most things will be clear, including what I think is your confusion about the 1st and 2nd letters. You will then be prepared to handle your case correctly and in plenty of time. Your case number is good, so you should be current in plenty of time to complete your aos process.

Best of luck!

Thank you guys, its good to know that USCIS will return the package if filled too early... I talked to KCC and asked about the memo and they said they are not even aware of it. I dont know why USCIS release such information without informing their people.

I would like to find an answer to this too. I sent a postal money order on 23rd December and St. Louise office received it on 27th. I didnt receive my receipt yet. How long do you think they take to send the receipt back. My worry is, in the self addressed envelop i didnt write the senders address on the top left hand. I thought St.Louis guys will stamp their address on the envelop. I would like to find out if anybody here did the same and if it worked.

Hello Friends,

I am little bit confused about the financial certification( Affidavit of Support) In the Internet I find I-134, I-864, I-864W for affidavit of support. And according the previous post in this forum it was written as I-134, but in I-485 it was written as I-864.

Can anyone help which one to file?

Thanks,
Ravi

Hello Friends,

I am little bit confused about the financial certification( Affidavit of Support) In the Internet I find I-134, I-864, I-864W for affidavit of support. And according the previous post in this forum it was written as I-134, but in I-485 it was written as I-864.

Can anyone help which one to file?

Thanks,
Ravi

In DV cases the form to use is I-134 because you are self sponsoring in DV cases and the I-134 is just for financial support. The I-864 is for cases where a third party is sponsoring you (such as family based GC) and the I-864 is a contract of support because they are sponsoring you. So - I-134 for DV, without a doubt.

Hello Friends,

Thanks for all your posts in this forum. It was quite helpful.

But I have one confusion. In late september I got mail from KCC in which it attached saying about AOS and DV fee. But that time I did nothing.

Now recently, with inquiry with KCC, they asked me to submit DSP-122 indicating the place for interview( In my case Minessota) as I submitted my DSP-122 form before from my home country. Now I am in USA in F1 Visa( came this fall).

It also indicated me to get information from USCIS whether I am elegible for AOS or not. If I am approved by USCIS, then I should pay the DV fee($330) but should wait until my case number become current. I am currently in South Dakota and USCIS office is quite far from here and so finding some difficulty with that case.

However, in some previous posts I found that I can pay the DV fee now without having any complications.

I am still confused.

Can anyone help me?

Hi Friends,

I filled my DS-122 form when I was in my home country and in point 4 I indicated "USCIS of Brookings" ( as the place for my interview). recently I got a mail from KCC to submit my DS-122 form indicating the place of interview to process my next letters.

I am confused why did they ask me to submit the form once again if I already mentioned USCIS in my previous form.?

I wonder if they are asking the form regarding my current mailing address as my mailing address has been changed as I am in US now.

Does anybody have any idea regarding this?

Thanks In advance!!!

Hello Fiefa,

Thanks for all your posts in this forum. It was quite helpful.

But I have one confusion. In late september I got mail from KCC in which it attached saying about AOS and DV fee. But that time I did nothing.

Now recently, with inquiry with KCC, they asked me to submit DSP-122 indicating the place for interview( In my case Minessota) as I submitted my DSP-122 form before from my home country. Now I am in USA in F1 Visa( came this fall).

It also indicated me to get information from USCIS whether I am elegible for AOS or not. If I am approved by USCIS, then I should pay the DV fee($330) but should wait until my case number become current. I am currently in South Dakota and USCIS office is quite far from here and so finding some difficulty with that case.

However, in some previous posts I found that I can pay the DV fee now without having any complications.

I am still confused.

Hello Britsimon,
Your posts were quite helpful. But I have a confusion that I need to sort it out.

I came to know that I have been selected in DV in my home country and I mailed the related forms ( DS-230, DS-122, photos,etc.) from my home country on 11th June. But I got my F1 visa approved on 6th June. Now I am in US.( Is there any case of fraud here regarding my intention of changing my status as I got F1 visa).

In late sep I got mail from KCC with 2 attachments( one saying "letting them know that I wanted to do status change and all".... and second as the DV fee reciept). I did not do anything at that time..(Was that my second notification letter? According the discussion in the forum it is...). Before I came to know about this forum I was really in confused state, and I mailed KKC about what should be the further procedures. An they told me first I should confirm my self whether I am eligible for AOS or not from USCIS and then after my CN is current I can pay the DV fee ($330). But according to the forum discussion everyone has already paid the Dv fee before their CN is current.( What should I do then...Shall I pay the DV fee?)

And more over they asked me to completely fill the DSP-122 form indicating my local field office name where my interview should be held. So, my confusion is as I have already submitted the DSp-122 form ( in which I previously indicated USCIS as my Interview place) then why did they ask me again to fill the form DS-122?

I think they might have thought I haven't started any processing yet...so they might have told me to submit DS-122 to start my application process. But everything should be there already in their system about who has submitted and who hasn't. And long time ago, I enquired whether my documents( DS-122, DS-230, photos,etc) has reached or not and they told me that they have received my documents and it is being processed. So why again...

I am confused....
In DV cases the form to use is I-134 because you are self sponsoring in DV cases and the I-134 is just for financial support. The I-864 is for cases where a third party is sponsoring you (such as family based GC) and the I-864 is a contract of support because they are sponsoring you. So - I-134 for DV, without a doubt.

Hello Britsimon,
Your posts were quite helpful. But I have a confusion that I need to sort it out.

I came to know that I have been selected in DV in my home country and I mailed the related forms ( DS-230, DS-122, photos,etc.) from my home country on 11th June. But I got my F1 visa approved on 6th June. Now I am in US.( Is there any case of fraud here regarding my intention of changing my status as I got F1 visa).

In late sep I got mail from KCC with 2 attachments( one saying "letting them know that I wanted to do status change and all".... and second as the DV fee reciept). I did not do anything at that time..(Was that my second notification letter? According the discussion in the forum it is...). Before I came to know about this forum I was really in confused state, and I mailed KKC about what should be the further procedures. An they told me first I should confirm my self whether I am eligible for AOS or not from USCIS and then after my CN is current I can pay the DV fee ($330). But according to the forum discussion everyone has already paid the Dv fee before their CN is current.( What should I do then...Shall I pay the DV fee?)

And more over they asked me to completely fill the DSP-122 form indicating my local field office name where my interview should be held. So, my confusion is as I have already submitted the DSp-122 form ( in which I previously indicated USCIS as my Interview place) then why did they ask me again to fill the form DS-122?

I think they might have thought I haven't started any processing yet...so they might have told me to submit DS-122 to start my application process. But everything should be there already in their system about who has submitted and who hasn't. And long time ago, I enquired whether my documents( DS-122, DS-230, photos,etc) has reached or not and they told me that they have received my documents and it is being processed. So why again...

I am confused....

Justshare,

Firstly, I suspect you haven't read the posts in this aos thread - you really should do that to avoid getting confused and making mistakes.

In reality I am not an expert on aos processes. However, it sounds to me like you submitted your forms in June in a way that makes KCC think you are doing CP,not aos. You do not fill in a 230 for aos. Subsequently you moved to the USA on your F1 visa, so now you need to inform KCC that you are switching to aos. That is why they asked you to complete a new 122 form.

For aos the 2NL is a letter saying they received your forms and have noted your intention to do aos - it is different to the 2NL cp applicants receive. The 1NL is the letter you saw saying you were selected.

For the other questions I will leave it to others to answer, although I know these questions are all covered already...

The email will thank you for informing them of your intention to do AOS, it will go on to say KCC will no longer be processing your case. The following letter and the payment receipt will be attached:

Sm1smom,
I have received the maile in the same format that you have included above but one thing is missing....."KCC will no longer process your case"

Beacuse in my case just two forms were attached one is that you have posted ( Thank you for letting us know...) and second one was the DV recreipt fee.

Is there any problem in my case??

Thanks

There is no problem with this wording. Just as Britsimon advised, take some time to read this thread from the very beginning, as well as the AOS threads from previous years. It will save you--as well as others--some time because the questions that you are asking have been answered on multiple occasions. Also get familiar with this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=5

Good luck!

Sm1smom,
I have received the maile in the same format that you have included above but one thing is missing....."KCC will no longer process your case"

Beacuse in my case just two forms were attached one is that you have posted ( Thank you for letting us know...) and second one was the DV recreipt fee.

Is there any problem in my case??

Thanks

Hello Britsimon,

I am confused....

You rushed a bit is submitting your DSP-122.

They asked you to do that because they couldn't imagine you had requested for AOS without being in the US in the first place. You made a mistake when in your original DSP-122 you asked for AOS. What did you put for your address on DSP-122 by the way?

The reason people here have gone ahead with the payment before becoming current is because 1) they are sure they are eligible to do AOS (to have maintained a valid status during their whole stay in the US and to be in a status that allows AOS, like not being on B-1 or visa waiver) and 2) in their own estimation they are sure they will become current before the end of the fiscal year.

At the time of your F-1 petition, you claimed non-immigration intent. After your F-1 approval and before entering the US you (indirectly) disclosed that you indeed had immigration intent, but still used a non-immigrant benefit (F-1) that was based on non-immigration intent. I think you are in a bit of a hot water now. It all comes back to the Immigration Officer's judgment.

Hi C1984,
I noticed that in your timeline DV fee receipt was emailed to you. Is that right? I'm kind of upset as I didnt get any response from St. Louise office since 27th December. I'm worried if its because I didnt write their senders address on the top let corner of my self addressed envelop. But when I saw you have mentioned it was received as an email I 'm kind of curious.. Could you please verify it for me please..

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.