• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on your progress.

You wont see any status change until after your interview, and not necessarily immediately after the interview either.

So I have received the NOA by mail, received the Biometrics letter, completed my biometrics (walk-in) and yet the status of my case is still in 'Acceptance'. I'm now waiting for my interview letter, shouldn't the status have changed at least to Initial Review by now?

Sm1smom, I would be grateful if you can help me with an opinion. I have an update:

I called today the KCC and they said that my case number and all the other information on 1NL and 2NL are correct and that my case number is current this month. Then I called USCIS and I was told to resubmit when my case becomes current. I asked the lady on the phone when is that date in their opinion. First she asked for my country of birth and after that she said she cannot tell me, but I can check the visa bulletin.

So, I suppose I should just resubmit everything again today and attach to the green sheet of paper my 1NL, 2NL, the DV fee receipt and the check together with the visa bulletin page. Maybe I have to attach to the I 485 the 1NL (on part 2 I selected H--Dv lottery selectee. Notification letter attached). The other parts, that were processed by them, will be put in the same order.

Since your CN is now current for this month, don't bother to include a copy of the new memo with the package you will be sending back this time around, it's redundant in your case now. By "the green sheet of paper", you mean the paper USCIS sent back to you, right? I would suggest you write a short note explaining that your application is DV based and attach it to the green paper. Then, I suggest you put the 1NL (the selectee notification letter), followed by the check and the biographic form right on top of your 1-485 form itself. Include every other thing in the original package and mail it back to them. Be sure to make a copy of the green paper and keep that for your records.

Good luck!

Thank you very much. I will send it tonight by Fedex.

Since your CN is now current for this month, don't bother to include a copy of the new memo with the package you will be sending back this time around, it's redundant in your case now. By "the green sheet of paper", you mean the paper USCIS sent back to you, right? I would suggest you write a short note explaining that your application is DV based and attach it to the green paper. Then, I suggest you put the 1NL (the selectee notification letter), followed by the check and the biographic form right on top of your 1-485 form itself. Include every other thing in the original package and mail it back to them. Be sure to make a copy of the green paper and keep that for your records.

Good luck!

Wondering how much time Interview letter takes to come from NOA/BIO date. Last year data ranges from 5 days - 60 days.

This year Spice2013 got it before the Bio-metrics which means it is not a criteria for scheduling interview and your file goes to field office sooner.

My Biometrics was done on 10/16 and waiting.

You wont see any status change until after your interview, and not necessarily immediately after the interview either.

I suggest you look at the timelines from previous years and look for your FO. that is the best estimate you can make.
2013: https://docs.google.com/a/vt.edu/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AjoXax6rTIh6dDduVnZRMXpSekI5bFgxc0lGWkV6QlE
2011: https://docs.google.com/a/vt.edu/sp...authkey=CKu6h5UN&hl=en&authkey=CKu6h5UN#gid=0

Wondering how much time Interview letter takes to come from NOA/BIO date. Last year data ranges from 5 days - 60 days.

This year Spice2013 got it before the Bio-metrics which means it is not a criteria for scheduling interview and your file goes to field office sooner.

It also depends where you are doing the interview. Eg. For Boston it is almost 3.5 mths. Some places it is less than 30 days.

Tough choice to make. Like C1984 already posted, you rushed into making the DV payment, and yes, you will loose that payment if you opt for CP now. You will also not be able to use the medical exam from the US to do CP, so I hope you hadn't done that either.

I cannot outrightly tell you to either proceed with AOS or switch to CP at this stage. However, submitting the I-485 in July does not appear to be like all hope is lost (if you decide to continue as planned). It's going to be a nail-bitter couple of months, but if you're willing to take the risk, it just might work out. Go through the DV AOS 2013 thread, there are people who submitted applications in July/August and are now GC holders. But of course, you need to bear in mind that each country is subject to only 7% visa allocation, so there's the possibility your country running out of it's share by the time of your interview considering the fact that a lot more people were actually selected for further processing this FY.

Sorry I couldn't point you in a precise direction as to what to do. Good luck with your decision.

Piggybacking on monh's questions about I-20 extension. So, I have signed up for a school that issued me an I-20 that ends on 22nd of June 2014. My number will probably become current in April 2014. So, the interview may be scheduled between June-July. I would have to extend my I-20 with the school, but since I'd have already sent out my I-485 by that time, I don't think that should be an issue right? What do you think?

Our current visa status is H1/H4 and we did AOS processing filed on 10/2/2013. (I-485, I-765). Receipt received for all forms this week.

When we receive the EAD card (which is normally received few months before GC), if my wife ( currently in H1 visa) takes a new job with the EAD card, does she lose the H1 status and therefore go out of status for our AOS 485 application ?

Is it safer for her to wait to switch jobs until GC?

Our current visa status is H1/H4 and we did AOS processing filed on 10/2/2013. (I-485, I-765). Receipt received for all forms this week.

When we receive the EAD card (which is normally received few months before GC), if my wife ( currently in H1 visa) takes a new job with the EAD card, does she lose the H1 status and therefore go out of status for our AOS 485 application ?

Is it safer for her to wait to switch jobs until GC?

She will not go out of status for the interview if taking a new job on EAD. But she will lose the H-1 status by using the EAD card.

The general advice is to maintain the H-1 status (either by staying in the current job or transferring the H-1 even if taking a new job). This is mainly to keep a "fall back" status in case something goes awry in the status adjustment process.

I would advise the H-1 person not to use the EAD card.

DV AOS process is faster than Emplyment Based AOS, so many people choose not to apply for EAD or AP to avoid the potential headaches and complications.

Thanks Spice2013, I see you haven't heard back after your interview. Hopefully you'll get an update soon. This process requires much patience! :(

The waiting is very hard. As each day goes by I wonder if the delay is because I was rejected. I don't know how others coped with this waiting and uncertainty. it is driving me mad and rendering me unproductive.

Thanks Spice2013, I see you haven't heard back after your interview. Hopefully you'll get an update soon. This process requires much patience! :(

CN 2014AS00000xxx

I am a 2014 DV selectee. According to the September visa bulletin my number became current in October. I filed DSP-122 and paid the DV fee on October. I have not received the confirmation yet. What I have understand so far is that I have 2 months (October & November) to finish my DV process. Is it only the filing of I-485 has to be done within that time period or Biometrics and Interview also has to be within that time.
Please let me know.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The waiting is very hard. As each day goes by I wonder if the delay is because I was rejected. I don't know how others coped with this waiting and uncertainty. it is driving me mad and rendering me unproductive.

I hear you! Although I know it usually takes 30-60 days in my area to schedule an interview after the bio appointment, and yet I'm checking my case status 100 times a day and wondering if I'll receive something in the mail. I've started to read a book on Patience because this whole thing is driving me crazy!

I hope the delay you're experiences is just a delay in acceptance and has no negative impact on your case. Good Luck!

CN 2014AS00000xxx
What I have understand so far is that I have 2 months (October & November) to finish my DV process. Is it only the filing of I-485 has to be done within that time period or Biometrics and Interview also has to be within that time.

You have until the end of the fiscal year to finish your process. That means you could have filed in May 2014 if you wanted (not smart but you could have). the visa bulletin only tells you the earliest time you can send it. If you have all your documents in order dont wait for the KCC confirmation. As soon as you get the fee receipt send in your documents.
We just have to be patient once we send in the paperwork because at that point it is out of your hands. processing times are dependent on FO and year.

Piggybacking on monh's questions about I-20 extension. So, I have signed up for a school that issued me an I-20 that ends on 22nd of June 2014. My number will probably become current in April 2014. So, the interview may be scheduled between June-July. I would have to extend my I-20 with the school, but since I'd have already sent out my I-485 by that time, I don't think that should be an issue right? What do you think?

No, I don't think extending the I-20 could be an issue in your case, since USCIS would have accepted your application and sent you a confirmation receipt by then.

Yeah, waiting sucks especially at a stage where you're simply waiting for a decision, either way. I'm convinced though that your application will not be rejected, you got got saddled with an inexperienced IO who may need to cross check with a supervisor. Unfortunately, she did not give you her phone number, so you just have to wait a little bit more.

But I'm looking forward to raising my glass of wine and having my first DV AOS toast for the 2014 FY as a result of the good news coming from you soon! :cool:

CN 2014AS00000xxx

I am a 2014 DV selectee. According to the September visa bulletin my number became current in October. I filed DSP-122 and paid the DV fee on October. I have not received the confirmation yet. What I have understand so far is that I have 2 months (October & November) to finish my DV process. Is it only the filing of I-485 has to be done within that time period or Biometrics and Interview also has to be within that time.
Please let me know.
Thank you in advance.

Nope, you understand it wrongly. You have till the end of the 2014 FY (that is Sept. 30th, 2015) to complete the process.

That refers to the I-797 from prior status adjustments, if you have had one; like if you adjusted status from F-1 to H-1B.

Ok thanks c1984. Maybe add a comment in the spreadsheet?

Also I don't see the Chicago Lockbox or KCC addresses anywhere in the spreadsheet - intended?

Status
Not open for further replies.