• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much aos13!
For re-entry in USA will it help if I`ll apply for an advance parole document?
Wow Sharm, you were in the same situation as I am right now...

Thank you so much aos13!
For re-entry in USA will it help if I`ll apply for an advance parole document?
Wow Sharm, you were in the same situation as I am right now...

You cannot apply for AP because you have a valid F1 visa and you're not doing AOS!

Actually, you can apply if you wish, it will however not be granted!!

You cannot apply for AP because you have a valid F1 visa and you're not doing AOS!

Actually, you can apply if you wish, it will however not be granted!!

Is there some kind of form/document that is similar with advance parole for AOS, if I go through consular processing? Thank you all! I`m much more knowledgeable now!

Let me add to this: In addition to not sending in DSP-122 while still outside of the country, make sure upon your return, you don't have any document in you hand lugagge that can easily give away your DV wining selection or the fact that you're planning to do AOS when you return. If you must have any such document with you, you might want to pack your stuff with care (hey, I'm not asking or teaching you to smuggle, ok? :rolleyes:)

Yes, I was thinking to write about that case. :) Well the thing is though, you don't know which way it will go. They randomly check checked-in luggage too, sure they may not care about documents, but they still check. And you don't want to lose your HS diploma and birth certificate in case your luggage is gone to another dimension. :)

Is there some kind of form/document that is similar with advance parole for AOS, if I go through consular processing? Thank you all! I`m much more knowledgeable now!

No such thing. It is best to send the DSP-122 after you come back, and hope for the best.

No such thing. It is best to send the DSP-122 after you come back, and hope for the best.

Thank you all! One last question: like I said my F1 visa is still valid for the next few years, but what happens if I go through consular processing, then I have the interview and go to my home country in Europe to take it, and don`t get the greencard? Will they still allow me to return back to USA with my valid F1 visa?

Thank you all! One last question: like I said my F1 visa is still valid for the next few years, but what happens if I go through consular processing, then I have the interview and go to my home country in Europe to take it, and don`t get the greencard? Will they still allow me to return back to USA with my valid F1 visa?

That, I do not know for sure. If you were here going through AOS and maintaining your status, you would still be in F1 status after rejection. But doing it in CP could be different. They may or may not stamp your F1 visa void.

You may not be able to use that F1 visa again if your GC interview is not successful. YOu have demonstrated an intent to immigrate. You may want to consider cancelling this trip altogether and try to get the GC processing out of the way if it's giving you so much headache. I'm guessing you want to be able to finish your schooling at the end of the day.

Sharm said:
AFAIK, non-immigrant visas on DV applicant's passports are being "cancelled without prejudice" in any case

You mean at the CP interview? Even after rejection?

Practically it does not matter if they actually use an ink stamp or not, if they cancel it on the computer, that's all it takes. But I do not know for a fact if they do it regardless of the outcome of the interview.

L1B visa holder and PERM EB3 applicant: Questions on DV 2014 processing

Hi, congrats to everyone and I am so glad I found this forum as this truly is a wealth of information and it is comforting to know there are actually a lot of selectees going through the similar situations as I am. I have some questions that have not yet been covered by previous posts and also some additional questions to the topics that were discussed already.

I have been selected for DV 2014 with CN AS000197xx.

1. I am under L-1B visa (and my spouse L2) and have filed for my green card through my employer under EB3 category. My priority date is in Sept 2012 and my I-140 has been approved. It seems like it will take at least 4 - 5 years until my EB3 priority date will be current if I were to follow through with the employment based process, so I would definitely want to take advantage of being selected for dv lottery 2014. However, as there is no guarantee that I will obtain my green card through the lottery process, I want to keep my EB3 as backup. My first concern is, would my circumstances (going through with dv lottery AND waiting for my EB3 priority date to be current) cause any problems? Do I need to notify DOS and/or UCSIC that I have a separate EB3 process going on ?

2. My L-1B visa will expire this July and is under petition for extention up to July 2015. I have not yet received approval notice but am certain that it will be approved. I read in prior posts on whether or not one should hold off on sending the DSP form while their current visa is being extended, but wasn't sure if for my case, I should wait until my L-1B visa is approved. Could you please advise?

3. My spouse and I have a plan to travel to our home country (Japan) this October for a friend's wedding. If/when we do travel back to Japan, we will need to get our L visa stamps at the US embassy there. I did not think there will be any issues to this but by reading prior posts, I am under impression that I would have to be careful in getting my visa stamp at the embassy in revealing the fact that I am a dv lottery selectee. Do I need to let the US embassy know that "by the way, I was selected for dv lottery" during our appointment for visa stamp, or if not asked, is it unnecessary to mention it? Any consequences of failing to disclose the fact that I am a dv selectee?

4. DSP-122: It was mentioned that 2 photos should be sent along with the barcode letter. Does this mean 2 photos of myself AND my spouse? Also we have a 1 year old son who is US Citizen as he is American born. If family members' photos are required, do we need to send photos of our son as well even though he is a US citizen?

Thank you in advance for your advice :)

Thank you all for the replies

Thank you all for the replies. We will have a try no matter how high the CN is.
Cheers!

1. I am under L-1B visa (and my spouse L2) and have filed for my green card through my employer under EB3 category. My priority date is in Sept 2012 and my I-140 has been approved.
I am not familiar with L1/L2 visas but if it is dual intent like H1B, there should not be a problem. Do you have an immigration lawyer you are working with? you should ask one to make sure.

My first concern is, would my circumstances (going through with dv lottery AND waiting for my EB3 priority date to be current) cause any problems? Do I need to notify DOS and/or UCSIC that I have a separate EB3 process going on ?
You can have two green card petitions. You don't need to call them and tell them AFAIK. If asked in a form, you just fill the information.
2. My L-1B visa will expire this July and is under petition for extention up to July 2015. I have not yet received approval notice but am certain that it will be approved. I read in prior posts on whether or not one should hold off on sending the DSP form while their current visa is being extended, but wasn't sure if for my case, I should wait until my L-1B visa is approved. Could you please advise?
Again, I don't know enough about L1 visas to tell you anything.

4. DSP-122: It was mentioned that 2 photos should be sent along with the barcode letter. Does this mean 2 photos of myself AND my spouse? Also we have a 1 year old son who is US Citizen as he is American born. If family members' photos are required, do we need to send photos of our son as well even though he is a US citizen?

I actually don't remember. Do we send photos of everybody? You certainly do not need to do anything for your USC son. There are couple of places in some forms where you declare all children regardless of their status, that's all.

My take on your case:

Hi, congrats to everyone and I am so glad I found this forum as this truly is a wealth of information and it is comforting to know there are actually a lot of selectees going through the similar situations as I am. I have some questions that have not yet been covered by previous posts and also some additional questions to the topics that were discussed already.

I have been selected for DV 2014 with CN AS000197xx.

1. I am under L-1B visa (and my spouse L2) and have filed for my green card through my employer under EB3 category. My priority date is in Sept 2012 and my I-140 has been approved. It seems like it will take at least 4 - 5 years until my EB3 priority date will be current if I were to follow through with the employment based process, so I would definitely want to take advantage of being selected for dv lottery 2014. However, as there is no guarantee that I will obtain my green card through the lottery process, I want to keep my EB3 as backup. My first concern is, would my circumstances (going through with dv lottery AND waiting for my EB3 priority date to be current) cause any problems? Do I need to notify DOS and/or UCSIC that I have a separate EB3 process going on? - Both I-485 applications can be in the system concurrently, they're based on different criterias, shouldn't be a problem.

2. My L-1B visa will expire this July and is under petition for extention up to July 2015. I have not yet received approval notice but am certain that it will be approved. I read in prior posts on whether or not one should hold off on sending the DSP form while their current visa is being extended, but wasn't sure if for my case, I should wait until my L-1B visa is approved. Could you please advise? - I suggest wait until approval notice is received before sending in DSP-122

3. My spouse and I have a plan to travel to our home country (Japan) this October for a friend's wedding. If/when we do travel back to Japan, we will need to get our L visa stamps at the US embassy there. I did not think there will be any issues to this but by reading prior posts, I am under impression that I would have to be careful in getting my visa stamp at the embassy in revealing the fact that I am a dv lottery selectee. Do I need to let the US embassy know that "by the way, I was selected for dv lottery" during our appointment for visa stamp, or if not asked, is it unnecessary to mention it? Any consequences of failing to disclose the fact that I am a dv selectee? - Don't volunteer any information not requested for, but if asked, be honest and tell the CO

4. DSP-122: It was mentioned that 2 photos should be sent along with the barcode letter. Does this mean 2 photos of myself AND my spouse? Also we have a 1 year old son who is US Citizen as he is American born. If family members' photos are required, do we need to send photos of our son as well even though he is a US citizen? - Only Principal applicant (the Selectee) needs to fill and send in DSP-122 and 2 passport photos, no pictures required for derivatives at this point in time)

Thank you in advance for your advice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not familiar with L1/L2 visas but if it is dual intent like H1B, there should not be a problem. Do you have an immigration lawyer you are working with? you should ask one to make sure.

You can have two green card petitions. You don't need to call them and tell them AFAIK. If asked in a form, you just fill the information.

Again, I don't know enough about L1 visas to tell you anything.

I actually don't remember. Do we send photos of everybody? You certainly do not need to do anything for your USC son. There are couple of places in some forms where you declare all children regardless of their status, that's all.

Thanks for your response, aos13. L visa is much like H-1, but is granted to employees that transferred from a sister company abroad (Japan in my case) to a US company. Just fyi, I will be changing from L-1 to H-1 after 2015 after I use up the 5 years limit; however if the dv lottery process goes well I won't have to worrk about this..

My take on your case:

Sm1smom, thanks for the advice. Just for my understanding, what is the reason that if you have a visa petition, you should wait to send the DSP-122? Is it the risk of not being in status for AOS? For my case my visa is valid until July 2013, and the visa renewal is expected to be approved within the next few weeks. Thank you.

Sm1smom, thanks for the advice. Just for my understanding, what is the reason that if you have a visa petition, you should wait to send the DSP-122? Is it the risk of not being in status for AOS? For my case my visa is valid until July 2013, and the visa renewal is expected to be approved within the next few weeks. Thank you.

My reasoning is based on the fact that there are no guarantees in life. The renewal 'is expected to be approved', it hasn't been approved yet. I'm not saying it's not going to be approved, but it is better to get the approval, or notice of approval first. There's always a first time for everything.

My take on your case:

The consular knows that you are a DV 2014 selectee. As a matter of fact they know how many times you have applied. I recall been told by the CO that I had applied or DV in such and such a year.

As an L-1 visa holder you can have dual intent and visa renewal will be approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.