• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I was wrong

Let me do you a favor; forget these calculations :) There's no heads and tails when it comes to DV numbers. As I wrote before, the case numbers don't mean much. Only thing you can know with some degree of confidence is how many were selected in your country. If it is a low number, you have reason to worry.

Let me give you an example:
100 people got selected from your country. Your case number is 0000041, so you are number 41 selectee in your whole region. Does that mean you are getting a green card for sure? No.

Do you want me to elaborate more ?

Thanks aos13 for the details.

Just want to know one thing "Selected in your Country" means in the Visas lottery right.

Also I am thinking of doing the AOS. Is it ok to send the D-120 to KKC directly will the Money as mentioned here or I have to go to USCIS local office and do a discussion with them. Today I went to the office but could get the appointment for 13th May only. Is that ok to wait till 13th or mail to KKC.

Any other European DV2014 winners? I checked everywhere online and it seems I have a HUGE case number (50xxx), probably the highest I've seen for Europe so far. I joined a forum frequented by selectees in my home country and most of them have CNs lower than 30xxx. My chances seem pretty slim then, it seems...:( The more I read, the more it looks like 50xxx for Europe is just ridiculously high.

Question about what to send to KCC

Hi there,

Thank you so much for putting this forum together and for the great pieces of advices that can be found throughout all these posts.

I have the pleasure (privilege?) of having been selected. My CN is 2014EU003XXXX | FSC: France. I am currently on H1-B valid until XX/2015, and have never been out of status. My intention is to do an AOS.

I was not aware of this forum before this day and I will admit that when I first noticed the "win", I panicked a bit. This led me to lengthy phone calls with Dept. of State (KCC) and USCIS.

Phone call #1 (to KCC): rep. tells me to call USCIS and figure out whether I'm eligible for AOS. If yes, then send DSP-122 and barcode sheet to KCC (no photos). If not, then send DSP-122 and DS-230 and 2 pictures and barcode to KCC.

Phone call #2 (to USCIS ~ 45 min wait): after checking my USCIS#, the officer confirms that I am eligible for AOS, and tells me to check with Dept. of State (KCC) to figure out what to do next.

Phone call #3 (back to KCC): explain that I am eligible for AOS. Rep. tells me that I can either mail or email my DSP-122 along with barcode sheet to KCC, but makes no mention of the 2 photos.

Question to you guys:
1. Is is correct that the DSP-122 can be emailed to KCC (along with barcode sheet)?
2. Do I need to provide 2 photos along with DSP-122 when I do an AOS? If yes, how does this work with email submission (see question 1)?

Thank you very much for your help.

One last thing, I notice that my CN is in the medium to high range 3XXXX. From past DV stats, 600-700 applicants are typically selected for further processing and 200-300 usually end up with GC. Any guesstimate as to what my chances are? I have been quite confused with some information mentioned in previous posts on this thread regarding CN priority and processing time of AOS vs. CP.

One additional last thing: can you travel out of the country while applying for GC? I am a faculty member and we are planning a study abroad trip next summer (june 2014).

Another thing (sorry but my mind keeps going): should I consult with an immigration attorney? Or is it a waste of time/money?

Thanks again for all the help and advice you can provide.

I am another European DV2014 winner

Gina-g: I am another European DV2014 winner seeking AOS (see my previous post). As you can see, my CN is quite high as well 3XXXX.

It is easy to get worried and fear that it is not going to work when you read some of the posts regarding CN# and "odds" of getting a GC issued. Let's look at it from the bright side: being on this forum shows determination and a desire to succeed while seeking good advice. Good luck to us both (and the others as well :) ).

Any other European DV2014 winners? I checked everywhere online and it seems I have a HUGE case number (50xxx), probably the highest I've seen for Europe so far. I joined a forum frequented by selectees in my home country and most of them have CNs lower than 30xxx. My chances seem pretty slim then, it seems...:( The more I read, the more it looks like 50xxx for Europe is just ridiculously high.

EXTREMELY high case number

Hi guys,

My husband got selected for further processing the dv visa with an extremely high case number 2014AS19XXX, the highest number I've ever seen. There are rarely any cases larger than 10000 in the forum so far. We are worried that we will not make it in the fiscal year. We have several questions,

1. He is right now on his OPT, and didn't get H1 this year. His OPT is going to expire this Oct and needs to be extended. Is filing DSP-122 gonna affect his OPT extension? Or shall we wait until he finish the OPT extension?

2. If we are lucky to get our number current, that would probably be next Aug or Sep. I know it is safer to do CP instead of AOS. I will graduate and get my OPT this Aug. Do we need to make decision before Sep whether to do AOS (file dsp-122 lonely) or CP (file both dsp-122 and my ds-230)? I know that ds-230 will definitely ruin my OPT application. So if we decide to do CP and file both files, we need to wait till I finish my OPT application? OR can we decide later after Sep when he for sure get his H1 next year if we want to do CP and file the dsp-122 and ds-230 separately, so that if we fail this DV visa, we can still come back.

3. If we do CP and only get the visa packet by the fiscal year end, can we re-enter US using the visa packet, or everything has to be done including the physical green card before Sep 30? If it is the latter, it will be so risky that I am afraid we will lose everything and I'd rather not doing the dv application:(

4. We are just curious what happened to those people who got selected but didn't get GC at end. 360 selectees but only 180 GC issued in our region. It seems that all the regions will be current by the Aug or Sep according to the previous years' data. Is it because they just simply gave up the chances? I don't think they were not qualified. Or they did tried every effort but just didn't make it before the deadline? We are afraid that we will end up with getting nothing in our case. Does current with no exception mean no country has exceed the 7% limit in the region?

I apologize for such long questions. But PLEASE HELP US.

Thank you sooooo much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gina-g: I am another European DV2014 winner seeking AOS (see my previous post). As you can see, my CN is quite high as well 3XXXX.

It is easy to get worried and fear that it is not going to work when you read some of the posts regarding CN# and "odds" of getting a GC issued. Let's look at it from the bright side: being on this forum shows determination and a desire to succeed while seeking good advice. Good luck to us both (and the others as well :) ).
Thanks, french-academic! I know there's always a chance but I can't help being pessimistic. I've already read numerous stories from my home country about selectees with high CNs that didn't make it by the end of the fiscal year. Add to that the fact that my CN is almost 20,000 higher than these people's. My CN may become current only in September 2014, if at all. I just can't imagine there will be more available visas for Europe and my country by September 2014. On a forum from my home country, everyone there (a lot of people) have much, much lower CNs than mine. 50xxx is just extremely high. :( People can still make it with CNs under 35xxx but I've never read or heard of anyone from Europe making it with a CN over 40xxx.

Congratulations to all you new winners! I totally understand how euphoric and dizzying the news about your selections can be, but I caution you all to slow down, take a deep, soak up and marinate in your good fortune. Stop going on and on about how high your selection number is, there are countless others who will give an arm and a leg to simply be where you are now. Begin to think of what you need to do to safely bring you to the other end of this journey.

It would help if you spend some time going over previous posts on this thread, and some other related threads in this forum, there's a wealth of information already existing in this forum. Many people think their situation is unique, but the truth is most of the situations are not so completely unique. You may say you don't have the time to pour over previous postings, you just want someone to respond directly to your post/questions, my response is "Don't get upset or agitated if no one responds to you. You need to remember the people responding are fellow forum members simply trying to share the information they've gathered and what they've learnt along the process.

To answer some of the general questions already posted, here's what you need to do following your selection:
  • Send out form DSP-122, your selection notification bar code sheet and 2 passport photos to KCC. Myadvise though will be for you to not be in a big rush to do this. Carefully go over the form before sending it in, following instructions and asnwer the questions as truthfully as possible. Go over the form several times after filling it before sending it out.
  • Can I email the package to KCC or must I mail them? Yes you can email them if you wish. People from outside of US have done it in the past, KCC had no issue with them. However, I would recommed mailing the forms to KCC, I personally didn't email my stuff.
  • KCC will email you back in about a 1-2 months confirming your AOS decision. That email will also contain payment instructions
  • Do I have to wait for the email from KCC before making my payment? No you don't have to, you can make your payment as soon as you've sent in your DSP form. However be aware that if you change your mind and want to do CP down the road, the payment you've already made is no longer applicable. You will have to make another payment at the embassy when you go down for your interview.
  • Next step will be the medical exam. Again, I caution against doing this too early, especially if you have a high CN. The medical is only valid for one year, if your medical expires before your interview, you will need to redo it. Also, if you change your mind and decide to do CP, your US medical will not be valid, you will need to use one of the accepted medical doctors in your home office.
  • Do I need to hire an immigration attorney? It's not necessary if your case is straight forward and you've never been out of status. This site has all the information you need, if you're willing to invest the time to do the work, plus a lot of immigration lawyers do not have a clear understanding of DV processing. You will be surprised at how much you know (much more than most immigration attorneys), by the time you're done going through this forum

Adjustment of Status Payment Link

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4763.html

Currently Designated Civil Surgeons Link:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=271e6138f898d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=271e6138f898d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

Locating a Civil Surgeon in your area:

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

Will post more if any other useful thing comes to mind, and I'm sure other members of the forum will jump in and contribute their bit too.

Don't worry.

Hi guys,

My husband got selected for further processing the dv visa with an extremely high case number 2014AS19XXX, the highest number I've ever seen. There are rarely any cases larger than 10000 in the forum so far. We are worried that we will not make it in the fiscal year. We have several questions,

Hi Don't worry. Mine is AS00023XXX. This years number is very hard to understand. Please can you tell me in your notification where there 2 CN numbers (one for each preson) or just one?

I am one of the DV2014 lucky winners and I am currently in H1B expiring in July 2013. I already got my H1B extension to July 2014, I am going home to visit my family in September and I had to renew/restamp my H1B to come back here. Can I send my documents to KCC now saying I'd apply AOS? Does it effect the H1B renewal? or should I wait until I get H1B restamped? My case # is 10XXX and most probably it is going to be current in December/January so I don't wanna waste my time to hear back from KCC. Any advice?

Hi Don't worry. Mine is AS00023XXX. This years number is very hard to understand. Please can you tell me in your notification where there 2 CN numbers (one for each preson) or just one?

Only the primary applicant has a CN.

Just simplify my question.
Can we file dsp122 and ds230 separately?
Is April 2014 too late to file ds230?
Does dsp122 show immigrant intent?

Can some one please answer my questions? Many thanks!

Response below:

Can we file dsp122 and ds230 separately? - DS-230 is not required for AOS

Is April 2014 too late to file ds230? - N/A

Does dsp122 show immigrant intent? - Yes it does

I am quite sure that you have answered the similar questions before. But it seems difficult for me to find my answer among a bunch of information. Would you kindly refer me to a specific post since my case is not complicated and I just need to know a brief overview of what is going to happen next in each step. Thanks.

Yes, I did. If it is difficult for you to read 3 pages worth of posts, you are in for a bad surprise I'm afraid. A lot of us did plenty of reading to gather this information, and we post these messages as a very short summary of them. Don't get me wrong I'm not picking on you, but there will be many people like you who just need to know a brief overview :) It is for your benefit to read these posts, you will see there are details, especially for F1s, to know before sending anything.

Every time I respond by saying "please read ..." I'm doing it for that person's benefit (and also for mine so that I don't write the same exact answer umpteen times) knowing that his/her particular case fits something I or somebody else has already posted. It's just 3 pages. Please..

Sm1smom said:
It would help if you spend some time going over previous posts on this thread, and some other related threads in this forum, there's a wealth of information already existing in this forum. Many people think their situation is unique, but the truth is most of the situations are not so completely unique. You may say you don't have the time to pour over previous postings, you just want someone to respond directly to your post/questions, my response is "Don't get upset or agitated if no one responds to you. You need to remember the people responding are fellow forum members simply trying to share the information they've gathered and what they've learnt along the process.

Big +1.

1. I am on OPT right now which will expire at the end of the year. In the meantime, my company has petitioned for my H1-B, and apparently I got selected in the H1-B lottery (since I got a receipt). Since actual H1-B approval might take until October to be approved, is it wise for me to proceed with my DV lottery or wait until I receive my approval?

First, for everybody, as S1msmom said, if you are here on a visa you do qualify for AOS. One big caveat is: You must never have been out of status before, and you must be in status until after your current date (gee I'm sure I wrote this already somewhere :confused: )
EDIT: J1s are eligible for AOS after the waiver.

Regarding your question: what is a H1-B lottery ?? I'm sure you are talking about H1-B petition. Assuming your notice is a receipt notice, you are legally in status during your H1-B case is pending. If you have pretty good reason to believe your H1-B will be approved, you can go ahead and start preparing for DV. If it is rejected though, you'll have to leave the US and you can no longer do an AOS.

EDIT: Now I know what H1-B lottery is. :) Pardon my ignorance due to not having to deal with caps.

Response below:

I am considering do CP instead of AOS, that's why I am asking.

If this is true, I guess I will just give up the dv visa then. So sad:(

Thanks aos13 for the details.

Just want to know one thing "Selected in your Country" means in the Visas lottery right.

Also I am thinking of doing the AOS. Is it ok to send the D-120 to KKC directly will the Money as mentioned here or I have to go to USCIS local office and do a discussion with them. Today I went to the office but could get the appointment for 13th May only. Is that ok to wait till 13th or mail to KKC.

Selected means how many people were notified, it is roughly twice the number of available visas for a country, although this year things seem a bit different. 125K instead of 100K people were notified.

I suggest to slow it down a bit and gather information. There's no hurry to send the forms yet. DSP-122 can be sent any time until September, if you are worried about high case number, low quota etc. and it will make you feel better, you can send it any time this month.

There's no deadline for sending in both the DSP and DS forms (well, as long as this is done before the end of the fiscal year, Sept. 2014). If you have issues you need to resolve, sending in your forms (both DSP and DS) in April 2014 will not be an issue for KCC, they will still process your file and forward it to the applicable embassy since you plan on doing CP. I wouldn't totally give up on the dv visa if I was in your shoes, that would be so sad indeed.

I am considering do CP instead of AOS, that's why I am asking.

If this is true, I guess I will just give up the dv visa then. So sad:(

Answers in blue:
I have the pleasure (privilege?) of having been selected. My CN is 2014EU003XXXX | FSC: France. I am currently on H1-B valid until XX/2015, and have never been out of status. My intention is to do an AOS.
2015 is great. See below.
Phone call #2 (to USCIS ~ 45 min wait): after checking my USCIS#, the officer confirms that I am eligible for AOS, and tells me to check with Dept. of State (KCC) to figure out what to do next.
Not everybody has USCIS#, so others may not be able to get information from USCIS, but that is OK, people on visas qualify for AOS.

Question to you guys:
1. Is is correct that the DSP-122 can be emailed to KCC (along with barcode sheet)?
2. Do I need to provide 2 photos along with DSP-122 when I do an AOS? If yes, how does this work with email submission (see question 1)?
I was not aware of the e-mail option and I don't know what to do with the pics. I'd suggest to use the paper trail, it is not inferior or anything. DSP122+2 photos+barcode letter.

Thank you very much for your help.

One last thing, I notice that my CN is in the medium to high range 3XXXX. From past DV stats, 600-700 applicants are typically selected for further processing and 200-300 usually end up with GC. Any guesstimate as to what my chances are? I have been quite confused with some information mentioned in previous posts on this thread regarding CN priority and processing time of AOS vs. CP.
Please read the posts again, they give info about AOS vs. CP. It is very hard to estimate chances since it depends on so many factors that we'll never know. I'd say you have a good chance, but my word does not really mean anything.

One additional last thing: can you travel out of the country while applying for GC? I am a faculty member and we are planning a study abroad trip next summer (june 2014).
Depending on the progression of case numbers, you may be able to get your GC by then, but do not count on it. When you send your application you can apply for Advanced Parole which will allow you to travel.

Another thing (sorry but my mind keeps going): should I consult with an immigration attorney? Or is it a waste of time/money?
In your case, I'd say it's a waste of money. You are in status until 2015 so there is nothing hairy you'll need to worry about.
Thanks again for all the help and advice you can provide.

Blue:

1. He is right now on his OPT, and didn't get H1 this year. His OPT is going to expire this Oct and needs to be extended. Is filing DSP-122 gonna affect his OPT extension? Or shall we wait until he finish the OPT extension?
Affect? probably yes, but not definitely yes. Wait? yes, it would be prudent thing to do.

2. If we are lucky to get our number current, that would probably be next Aug or Sep. I know it is safer to do CP instead of AOS. I will graduate and get my OPT this Aug. Do we need to make decision before Sep whether to do AOS (file dsp-122 lonely) or CP (file both dsp-122 and my ds-230)? I know that ds-230 will definitely ruin my OPT application. So if we decide to do CP and file both files, we need to wait till I finish my OPT application? OR can we decide later after Sep when he for sure get his H1 next year if we want to do CP and file the dsp-122 and ds-230 separately, so that if we fail this DV visa, we can still come back.
I'll be like the old man who mumbles the same thing over and over again, but, please read my previous post regarding "intent". Assuming you read that; do what you think is the sure thing to do for you. Since your CN is NOT "low enough", you need to plan for a possible failure to get DV GC. You don't really have to decide for AOS or CP until you are ready to make that decision. There is no deadline like September. Since your CN is high, say you get current in May, June etc. you don't really have to send DSP122 until, say, March. Of course you want to send it as early as you can so that you do not end up at the very end of the waiting line, but you should not risk your OPT/H1B etc. either. Inform yourself as much as you can, you have plenty of time to make that decision.

3. If we do CP and only get the visa packet by the fiscal year end, can we re-enter US using the visa packet, or everything has to be done including the physical green card before Sep 30? If it is the latter, it will be so risky that I am afraid we will lose everything and I'd rather not doing the dv application:(
If you do CP and get your stamp on your passport, you'll have enough time to come back to US, and green card will be sent to your US address. Do not worry about that part. And do not give up your GC!
4. We are just curious what happened to those people who got selected but didn't get GC at end. 360 selectees but only 180 GC issued in our region. It seems that all the regions will be current by the Aug or Sep according to the previous years' data. Is it because they just simply gave up the chances? I don't think they were not qualified. Or they did tried every effort but just didn't make it before the deadline? We are afraid that we will end up with getting nothing in our case. Does current with no exception mean no country has exceed the 7% limit in the region?
Believe it or not, not every selectee pursues the matter! And yes, few do not qualify. You won't find out about your chances until you tried.
I apologize for such long questions. But PLEASE HELP US.

Thank you sooooo much!

fupreme talhbul

Sorry I didn't mean to quote this message. Please discard!.

I am one of the DV2014 lucky winners and I am currently in H1B expiring in July 2013. I already got my H1B extension to July 2014, I am going home to visit my family in September and I had to renew/restamp my H1B to come back here. Can I send my documents to KCC now saying I'd apply AOS? Does it effect the H1B renewal? or should I wait until I get H1B restamped? My case # is 10XXX and most probably it is going to be current in December/January so I don't wanna waste my time to hear back from KCC. Any advice?

Any idea of what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.