• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Response below:

Hi everyone! :D

I want to apologize for the double post. I just found out I had been randomly selected for further processing for DV 2014 and I'd greatly appreciate any advice about the process! - Congrats! ;)

My CN is ...50xxx (EUrope). Is this a very high CN? The research I've done so far suggests that it's extremely high and that I probably don't stand chance to get the GC. - Yes, 50*** for EU is high, however, you do stand a chance of getting the GC, so don't sour your good news

I have no idea what I can do to increase my chances. I'm currently on a F1 visa and will get the OPT this August (It will expire in August 2014). I know I can apply for AOS but I checked the visa bulletins from previous years and it seems my CN will probably become current only in June-August 2014. This makes me fear that applying for AOS would be too risky, as my application might not even be processed in time by the end of September 2014. - I don't think there's anything you can do to increase your chances per se. Yes, AOS is a bit longer to process, if you want peace of mind, you can consider CP. But be aware that going for CP has it's draw backs too. With you being on FI visa (which is not a dual intent visa), be aware that if you leave the States to undergo CP, and God forbid you're GC application is denied, you will no longer have your F1 visa to fall back on and enter the States.

Do you think going for CP instead of AOS is a better idea? If I do that, do I have to leave the US after I apply through KCC? Can I apply from the US? Will the CP interfere with my OPT, or can I just stay here until it's time for me to go to the interview in my home country (if I get an interview, that is)? - Yes, you can send in your papers from the US, and yes you can remain in the US till it's time to go for the interview if you choose to do CP

I'm freaking out. I'm utterly shocked that I've won. I've been applying every year for many years with no success. I didn't expect anything today when I checked my confirmation number.

Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks so much!

I don't think there's anything you can do to increase your chances per se. Yes, AOS is a bit longer to process, if you want peace of mind, you can consider CP. But be aware that going for CP has it's draw backs too. With you being on FI visa (which is not a dual intent visa), be aware that if you leave the States to undergo CP, and God forbid you're GC application is denied, you will no longer have your F1 visa to fall back on and enter the States.
Thank you for your encouragement, Sm1smom! :D I'm getting my OPT this August (post-graduation). If I can secure a job by August 2014 (when my OPT expires), then my status will probably change from F1 to either H1 or something else. I'm not sure but can I travel to my home country for an interview and then return to the US on an H1 visa, if my GC application is denied? I'm considering CP as an option since my OPT expires by the end of the fiscal year 2014, which means I'll have to leave the US anyway if I can't find visa sponsorship via employment.

And where do you, aos13, stand among these wizened old sages whose horns you're tooting? :eek:

At the very end :) You have a way with words and can summarize things so much more concise and clearer than I can.

And thanks for reminding about CP "kiss of death" :) Yes if rejected, there is no coming back to US from CP but it is almost impossible to get rejection in CP for somebody who has a US university degree.

Thank you for your encouragement, Sm1smom! :D I'm getting my OPT this August (post-graduation). If I can secure a job by August 2014 (when my OPT expires), then my status will probably change from F1 to either H1 or something else. I'm not sure but can I travel to my home country for an interview and then return to the US on an H1 visa, if my GC application is denied? I'm considering CP as an option since my OPT expires by the end of the fiscal year 2014, which means I'll have to leave the US anyway if I can't find visa sponsorship via employment.

Yes you can come back with H1 since it is dual intent, but not with F or J.

Sorry to bring this up again but, I wonder, would CP improve my chances of getting an interview before all the GC's are awarded? That is, is CP faster or do they also take case numbers into account when they process applications and schedule interviews?

DV 2014 CN number in Asia

Hi all

Congrats for all who won the DV 2014,

Today I got my CN number fir ASIA. But the CN Number seems High. My chargability country is Saudi Arabia. And CN number is 2014AS0002****

Any idea what are the chances for Interview call.

Also I am in US so i am thinking in AOS. Is it a good idea for this High CN?

Regards
Robing9

Yes, for OC, 2xxx is kind of high. If I had such a high number for that region, I would seriously consider CP and not AOS in view of the longer processing period AOS entails and because traditionally, Oceania doesn't seem to have a large visa proportion assigned to it. You may however want to wait until the Bulletin is released in August to see the rate at which visa numbers are released before making your final decision.

Thanks!

So what Im hearing is that the OC CN's are seemingly high this year- the lowest OC CN Ive seen is 12-1400 and the highest 28XX. I havent seen anything three digits yet. So if Im in low 2000's then its hard to judge how quickly my number will become current based on prior Visa Bulletins, and it might best best to wait a few months to see how quickly the OC CN's are becoming current before deciding whether to go down the AOS or CP route. So we shouldnt send our DSP-122 electing either AOS or CP until we are better able to judge when our CN is likley to become current?

Thus those of us on OPT that will expire mid 2014 have 60 days post OPT expiry during which we cannot work but we are still in F1 status (assuming we don't acquire H1Bs etc) if out numbers become current July or August we may still be in status but going AOS could mean missing out due to the long processing time.

But if all CNs go current in June 2014 and Im still in OPT status and I send my AOS package before my OPT expires then I can continue working until my interview? Or does the AOS limbo kick in when you send the DSP122 and maintain your status until the interview?

Ok I thought I had it straight but now Im not so sure! lol.

CONFUSED GUY WITH DV2014 selected letter.

I got selected from ASIA with CN ***000070**.
What are the chances thru AOS as I am maintaining F1 by going community college.

The other question is while filling the DV ENTRY form I don't know what I fill for level of education (may be high school or with some college degrees.)
Actually i have my MSc from USA.

Some rough calcualtion

Hi

This is a rough calculation I did and is based on DV-2012 result. Simple extrapolation with this years winner Number of 125000.

Africa 50% 62500 25000
Europe 30.98% 38725 15490
Asia 15% 18750 7500
S & C America 2% 2500 1000
Oceania 2% 2500 1000
NA 0.02% 25 10

For example in AS the 2012 win % was 15 for winning GC. Out of 125000, 15% is 18750 and out of 50000, 15% is 7500.

That is total 7500 visa is won by Asians in 2012 but if same selection is adjusted for the Lottery winners. So CN Number near 7500 has a good chance (depending if 15% is still the winning percentage).

Any thing higher than 10000 can be considered unlucky and 20000 and above (Me in this) are basically in the bottom pile.

But if most of the people in Aisa got rejected (2012 issue Bangladesh rejection/Fraud rate was 97%),There is a chance.

For other regions. You can cheer up as total 125000 people are selected. and AS has 23000 (as per 15% 18750 is the highest) in it that means that your number have high chance of winning.

Mine is a very rough crude calculation. Any thoughts please let me know

Regards
Robin

At the least you should have receipt notice from USCIS when your H1B was received. That shows your case is pending.

Regarding the DV, the first step is to send DSP-122 to KCC which you can do any time starting now. You can follow the steps given at the selectee web site. Usually you send it about now, like May or June, some people choose to wait until their situations clarify and send it like December or January, but keep in mind you don't want to wait too long for low quota countries. In DSP-122, you choose between CP and AOS. There are other things to send along with DSP-122, consulting the DV 2013 AOS thread is a very good idea since it contains tons of useful information.

Thanks! One more question - on the Instructions for Selectees: Required Documents website: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4759.html

It says:
Supplemental Registration for the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, Form DSP-122: Only the principal applicant needs to complete Form DSP-122.

Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, Form DS-230, Part I and II: The principal applicant and all family members applying for a diversity visa must submit both Part I and II.

Note: Each Form DS-230 Part II, Sworn Statement should be submitted unsigned.
Two (2) photographs of yourself and of each family member applying for a diversity immigrant visa.

So from what I understand I should file both DSP-122 AND Form DS-230? Or just DSP-122? I contacted KCC and they only mentioned DSP-122, so not sure if I need both or just DSP-122...

Sorry to bring this up again but, I wonder, would CP improve my chances of getting an interview before all the GC's are awarded? That is, is CP faster or do they also take case numbers into account when they process applications and schedule interviews?

Yes, case numbers are still taken into consideration regarding when interviews are scheduled, and yes, CP is still faster than AOS.

Here's a little scenario to help you better understand the both processes: With your EU50*** case number, you become current in July 2014, (this is hypothetical, I don't know for sure when your case number will be current, so don't quote on the month).

CP: You'll get your 2NL around May informing you of your interview date in July. In July, you go to your country's embassy, attend the interview and receive a stamp on your passport following a successful interview.

AOS: You'll be eligible to send in your I-485 package for adjustment of status in from June 30th to be received from July 1st (some people have claimed one can send in this I-485 package in May once the advance visa cut off notification is released in the Visa Bulletin). You will wait to receive Biometric letter, followed by the Interview letter. This entire process takes about 2-3 months, you get your GC, following a successful interview in September.

Hope I've succeeded in further confusing you ;). Just kidding, hope this information helps clarify some of the confusion you're experiencing.

Thanks! One more question - on the Instructions for Selectees: Required Documents website: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4759.html

It says:
Supplemental Registration for the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, Form DSP-122: Only the principal applicant needs to complete Form DSP-122.

Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, Form DS-230, Part I and II: The principal applicant and all family members applying for a diversity visa must submit both Part I and II.

Note: Each Form DS-230 Part II, Sworn Statement should be submitted unsigned.
Two (2) photographs of yourself and of each family member applying for a diversity immigrant visa.

So from what I understand I should file both DSP-122 AND Form DS-230? Or just DSP-122? I contacted KCC and they only mentioned DSP-122, so not sure if I need both or just DSP-122...

If you're certain you will be going through with AOS (and not change your mind and switch to CP after initially sending in your forms to KCC), then you only need to fill out DSP-122 for yourself. You don't need to send out DS-230 for yourself or derivatives.

Yay, more questions :)

:(

:D Sm1smom gave a very good answer. Let me clarify one thing; case numbers are taken into the account in the sense that they will become current in batches every month. But once you sent your AOS application to USCIS, there is no ordering any more, it is first come first serve. AOS files go to different field offices in US, and there is no logic of who gets an interview first. In CP, everybody gets interviewed at the same post, so they may schedule interviews more or less with respect to case numbers but there is again no guarantee of that. You'll see the lists on embassy web sites, there is no strict ordering.

But if all CNs go current in June 2014 and Im still in OPT status and I send my AOS package before my OPT expires then I can continue working until my interview? Or does the AOS limbo kick in when you send the DSP122 and maintain your status until the interview?

Don't get confused by the fact that you won the lottery. You still have to maintain same requirements to be able to work. Once your OPT expires, you can't work. What you can do is to send I-765 with your application, that is an application for EAD until your GC arrives, and if you get your EAD you can work during AOS. But practically it'll take a month or two to get that EAD, by that time you'll get your interview anyway.

So what happens if you sent your AOS, received the receipt notice, and after that your OPT expired? While your AOS is pending, you can stay in US legally but can't work. Technically you are OK to stay but it is very advisable to maintain current status until the day of the interview.

Especially for F1s; if they do maintain their F1 status until interview, and God forbid they are rejected GC for some reason, they can continue to stay as F1. But if they applied for EAD by sending I-765 and then get rejected GC, they can't stay anymore because they applied for an immigrant benefit! Same deal for J visa. H visa is OK because it is dual intent. So long story short, you need to stay in status as long as you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got selected from ASIA with CN ***000070**.
What are the chances thru AOS as I am maintaining F1 by going community college.

The other question is while filling the DV ENTRY form I don't know what I fill for level of education (may be high school or with some college degrees.)
Actually i have my MSc from USA.

I just wrote about F1s. Maintain your status. Quick question: you have MSc degree but you are going to community college now, why?

I'm certain I won't change my mind, but my situation may change, as I am currently waiting on a decision for my H1B visa (no clue when I will receive it - may be tomorrow, may be 6 months from now). While I hope and I am fairly confident it won't be rejected, if they do deny my H1b and I have already filed for AOS....I suppose my AOS petition will fall through? Would I then be allowed to go back to my home country and switch to CP from there?

edit: for the DPS form...if I am applying to be eligible through the education requirement....do I also have to fill out the Work experience one, or just leave it blank? ( I have 1.5 years of work experience, not 2, anyway)

Mine is a very rough crude calculation. Any thoughts please let me know

Regards
Robin

Let me do you a favor; forget these calculations :) There's no heads and tails when it comes to DV numbers. As I wrote before, the case numbers don't mean much. Only thing you can know with some degree of confidence is how many were selected in your country. If it is a low number, you have reason to worry.

Let me give you an example:
100 people got selected from your country. Your case number is 0000041, so you are number 41 selectee in your whole region. Does that mean you are getting a green card for sure? No.

Do you want me to elaborate more ?

I'm certain I won't change my mind, but my situation may change, as I am currently waiting on a decision for my H1B visa (no clue when I will receive it - may be tomorrow, may be 6 months from now). While I hope and I am fairly confident it won't be rejected, if they do deny my H1b and I have already filed for AOS....I suppose my AOS petition will fall through? Would I then be allowed to go back to my home country and switch to CP from there?

edit: for the DPS form...if I am applying to be eligible through the education requirement....do I also have to fill out the Work experience one, or just leave it blank? ( I have 1.5 years of work experience, not 2, anyway)

You can switch from AOS to CP by letting KCC now, and hopefully everything will go fine. Please double check this information with KCC as none of us here are immigration lawyers. :) CP to AOS would be more problematic as USCIS is slow to process applications and the case could fall through cracks.

Sm1smom and aos13, thank you so much for your replies. I think I now understand CP vs AOS much better. Since my OPT expires on the first day of August 2014 and my CN may become current only in July or August, I think it's safer to go with CP. If I find a more permanent job by August 2014, then my status may change to dual intent, which would allow me to come back to the US in case my GC application is denied. Does this make sense or is this the rambling of a mad woman? :D

Sm1smom and aos13, thank you so much for your replies. I think I now understand CP vs AOS much better. Since my OPT expires on the first day of August 2014 and my CN may become current only in July or August, I think it's safer to go with CP. If I find a more permanent job by August 2014, then my status may change to dual intent, which would allow me to come back to the US in case my GC application is denied. Does this make sense or is this the rambling of a mad woman? :D

Yes you understood it very well. And we achieved that in the first two pages of a new thread, it's a record! :D Not to say anything about your comprehension, but rather regarding my ramblings, it must be a record :)

Now that you understood that, let me confuse you a bit further; and this is important for every one, especially that one guy with MSc going to community college :) :

Intent is rather an important concept when it comes to immigration. Without mambo jambo, let me give an example: you apply for OPT, you get your OPT, immediately following weeks you apply for AOS. This shows clear violation of your nonimmigrant intent. USCIS assumes you maintain your nonimmigrant intent when granting you ANY nonimmigrant benefits. If you receive a nonimmigrant benefit (OPT, a new I-20, F/J renewal etc.), you have to show that you are bona fide using that benefit for its intent, and not just for lengthening your stay in order to apply for immigration. So what to do? There are no clear rules but usually people wait for a month or two before taking any steps towards immigration. So you really take that job and start working during your OPT, you enroll in that school and start attending your classes, you do that for couple of months, and hopefully USCIS will not deport you when you apply for immigration. You basically have to be convincing that you really care about that job or about that degree. Otherwise do not apply for that benefit, and it is best to go back to your country.

On a related note for everybody, make sure you answer all questions truthfully and accurately in your forms or in your conversations with officers at consulates, airports, or field offices. If they suspect/know you are hiding something, you'll get a permanent ban for visa fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.