• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparing with doing AOS in US, does anyone (non Canadian) ever consider to do CP in CANADA?

I know this is a stupid question but just curious.

Do you mean so you can pop across the border, get the visa there and then return on an immigrant visa?

You'd have to do medicals as well there so would need to be there a couple of weeks all in all probably.

It's an interesting question. I don't recall seeing any requirement that you need to be resident in the country you choose for CP... Not sure what you'd tell Canadian border about reason for visit, or that it would matter...of course some people need visas for Canada too so adds to admin.

I'm from a country that visa is not required for entering CANADA, and I do have friend there, so staying in CANADA for a few weeks is not a problem for me.

Nevertheless I do plan to go back to my home country to do CP.
My question is just out of curious, since it seems technically feasible (and I do not find any DV rules that prohibit doing it).

Do you mean so you can pop across the border, get the visa there and then return on an immigrant visa?

You'd have to do medicals as well there so would need to be there a couple of weeks all in all probably.

It's an interesting question. I don't recall seeing any requirement that you need to be resident in the country you choose for CP... Not sure what you'd tell Canadian border about reason for visit, or that it would matter...of course some people need visas for Canada too so adds to admin.

Comparing with doing AOS in US, does anyone (non Canadian) ever consider to do CP in CANADA?

I think they exepionaly process it when in the home country the us embassy doesn't process the immigrant visas! Ugandans proceed in kenya, soudaneese in egypt, iranian in turkey....
Unless if you are legal resident in other country you can go a head.

doesn't green card through spouse takes a lot of time? Yes, it is true that F1 student may not get their OPT after they applied for AOS because OPT is F1 benefit.

Thanks dvlott. You said F1 student "may not" get their OPT if AOS is failed. Does that means in some instances it can be granted? is there any official link regarding F1 doing AOS? I may probably need to apply for OPT in early 2015.

Actually, it's not a stupid question. I think it's a great suggestion. I've read of some US based DV selectees in the past, that opted to do CP in Canada without having lived in Canada. They went in for a couple of weeks, did the medical just before the interview and they got the IV which they used in coming back to the US to activate their LPR status. As a matter of fact, some drove across the border, they did not fly. And yes, their home countries had US embassies where they could have done CP too. Of course, I don't know if they had some Canadian address listed on their DS-230 form or not.

So yes, I think this is possible but I don't know how people went about it in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks dvlott. You said F1 student "may not" get their OPT if AOS is failed. Does that means in some instances it can be granted? is there any official link regarding F1 doing AOS? I may probably need to apply for OPT in early 2015.

I don't have official site to prove my point, I wish I can find an official link for F1 and AOS. I am on same boat as you Birahi_kancha. I am graduating soon and need to apply for OPT after that. But after starting AOS process, I doubt OPT can be granted since it is F1 benefit. Just like you, I am also keeping my options open for CP because I can be current during summer. And I can have plenty of time during summer vacation to prepare for CP process. But again, I fear the denial to re-enter the States if for some reason I am not successful. So, for now, I am just trying to weigh my options.

I wouldn't suggest him to send back only his wife for CP ! He has to go with also, and all the kids if there is (non citizen). The interview conducted with the presence of all the familly members that wants GC.

I suggest him to withdraw his application before sending his wife for CP. In that case, only she can go back and he can remain F1, and also apply for OPT. Only the thing i do not know is whether the application can be withdrawn.

doesn't green card through spouse takes a lot of time? Yes, it is true that F1 student may not get their OPT after they applied for AOS because OPT is F1 benefit.

Ya, the green card through spouse takes some time. But that will solve the temp problem of him missing the DV deadline.

Why don't you just say it directly to the person?

I wouldn't suggest him to send back only his wife for CP ! He has to go with also, and all the kids if there is (non citizen). The interview conducted with the presence of all the familly members that wants GC.

If you're current in Sept 2014, you must be interviewed in Sept, your interview cannot take place in Oct or any month after that as the 2014 FY would be over by then.

Thank you Sm1smom, you always encouraging people .
I think I will send the package on July , let me know what u think guys ....

A-number - i-693

I was filling out form i-693 for the medical exam and it asks for A-number. I've had two EAD cards for OPT, one after finishing college and one after finishing Master's. However, I noticed that the A# are different in both cards. Does this mean that they have multiple A-numbers in the system for me? Could this cause delays in the AOS process and is there anything I can do to avoid this problem? What should I put for A-number in i-693? The A# from the last EAD card I have or the admission number from i-94? Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions.

AOS vs Consular processing which is faster?

Hi everyone,

My situation is unusual cause my status expires April 10th and my EU number is above 40K .

That means it may be too early to file AOS unless I do it last minute and get accepted..if all numbers get current in June.

Does anyone know if you are for sure in status if your AOS is pending? And in my situation do I even have a chance to do AOS or be better off with Consular processing?

I have a feeling AOS is faster. Am I right? or it doesn't matter?

I would appreciate your input. Thank you all!

I was filling out form i-693 for the medical exam and it asks for A-number. I've had two EAD cards for OPT, one after finishing college and one after finishing Master's. However, I noticed that the A# are different in both cards. Does this mean that they have multiple A-numbers in the system for me? Could this cause delays in the AOS process and is there anything I can do to avoid this problem? What should I put for A-number in i-693? The A# from the last EAD card I have or the admission number from i-94? Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions.

Go ahead and use the most recent A# on the medical form. Yeah, having numerous A#s could lead to slight delay in one's case being approved as they usually need to review and consolidate all the files in such cases before a final approval is issued. We know how slow USCIS can be at times in getting files from one office to the other. Now, don't start getting alarmed or worked up about this though, there are also reported cases where a situation such has this didn't cause any delay for the applicants. Unfortunately, nothing you can do about this for now, but be hopeful and keep your fingers crossed.

Thank you Sm1smom, you always encouraging people .
I think I will send the package on July , let me know what u think guys ....

Sure! Give it a shot in July. Just make sure you send in the package early enough to ensure it gets back to you for re-filing in August just in case it gets rejected for early filing.

Sure! Give it a shot in July. Just make sure you send in the package early enough to ensure it gets back to you for re-filing in August just in case it gets rejected for early filing.

I would like to ask you mom, if you pitch at your interview aos and you are actualy out of status would they arrest you and deport you right there ? Or will they just may be deny you and let you walk out? Thanks

I would like to ask you mom, if you pitch at your interview aos and you are actualy out of status would they arrest you and deport you right there ? Or will they just may be deny you and let you walk out? Thanks

Good question vladek , my status expire on June , I don,t know what to do .
I will send package on July, very scary ........

I actually inquired it for you my friend , because I know your case, and I would like at least to let you know if safe for you! Because your case is one of the complicated one... I wish you all the best in your process my friend

I don't think an out of status person normally gets arrested and deported on the spot. Of course the application will be denied and USCIS will most likely pass on the information about such a person to ICE, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the government doby saddled with the task of arresting and initiating deportation proceedings.

If that is the case, I'm afraid AOS is out of the question for you. You have to been in status as at the time your I-485 application is received and accepted by USCIS. If you will be out of status in June and you send in your package in July, I think you will just be wasting your money, and could be triggering a deportation proceeding to be initiated against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.