• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question for the oracles...

I can see that you need to get a police check for every country youve lived in for more than one year. I lived in England for around 10 months and Scotland for around 10 months- does that mean I dont have to produce a police check or because they are both part of the U.K. that I will have to get a police check? Thanks!

You don't need a PCC if you're doing AOS. But if you're going the CP route, I have no idea if you need 1 PCC to cover both of those regions or not.

Another question for the oracles...

I can see that you need to get a police check for every country youve lived in for more than one year. I lived in England for around 10 months and Scotland for around 10 months- does that mean I dont have to produce a police check or because they are both part of the U.K. that I will have to get a police check? Thanks!

You don't need a PCC if you're doing AOS. But if you're going the CP route, I have no idea if you need 1 PCC to cover both of those regions or not.

Well that makes things easier. I wonder why that is? Im am going to do AOS and just hope for the best. CP will be a royal pain in the butt and has risks of its own.

a question

i will send the dsp form just for me.

will i send the other form too? i am just applying for myself.

second, the dsp form it writes the expiration date 03/31/2013

any suggestions?

I dont think it works that way here

I am quite sure that you have answered the similar questions before. But it seems difficult for me to find my answer among a bunch of information. Would you kindly refer me to a specific post since my case is not complicated and I just need to know a brief overview of what is going to happen next in each step. Thanks.

Since you are already here on an F1, view the reading of the past postings as an exercise in "gathering / processing large quantities of information and filtering out relevant data".

The guys here are doing a terrific job with helping out people, but they certainly don't have the time to hand-hold you through the last 300 postings.

Hi all,
I am from EU and my case # is 10XXX, it'll be current in Dec most probably. My wife is pregnant and the due date is late December. I was planning to go for CP but she has travel limitations especially after October. The only way seems like AOS but I don't think she will be allowed to have all tests and vaccinations for medical examination because of pregnancy before late January. Do you think I can submit i485 without i693 or i693 with missing vaccinations/tests for her? Should I wait until mid/end January complete medical exams and submit? Thanks for answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dv2014 winner

I am a dv2014 winner and my case number is 2014af31xxx. I have a little problem. I came into the us on a bi visa. I am presently visiting the united states. I came in on 26th of march 2013 and was suppose to return to nigeria on the 26th of may 2013. Luckily for me, i won the dv lottery, can i adjust my status inside the us instead of going back to nigeria????

I am a dv2014 winner and my case number is 2014af31xxx. I have a little problem. I came into the us on a bi visa. I am presently visiting the united states. I came in on 26th of march 2013 and was suppose to return to nigeria on the 26th of may 2013. Luckily for me, i won the dv lottery, can i adjust my status inside the us instead of going back to nigeria????

Unfortunately, you will not be able to undergo AOS, you need to be in status by the time of your interview. Interview for the DV 2014 winners will not begin before October 2013, and your number is most likely not going to be current by the end of the year to start with, meaning you will be long out of status by the time of your interview.

AOS vs. CP and related timing

MANY Thanks to all the selfless posters who are spending their time here helping people like me along!

I have read many of the 2013 / 2014 posts, USCIS info, and country stats, but several questions remain that I would ask your help with.

My wife and I are from a small EU country (with < 150 selectees 2013) have H1 visas for another 2.5 years, and have always been in status. I am the principal selectee with CN 2014EU00009XXX.

However, our goal is to the get the Greencard as fast as possible so we can get new jobs and get out of the H1 tyranny. That’s why we are leaning towards CP, but we don’t want to rule out AOS yet.

1. Does anything speak against CP in our specific case, or would AOS still be better given that we are already here?

2. If we go CP, should I file the DSP 122 right now? I saw posts like “nothing happens before Oct 1 anyway”, “People still have to wait until their numbers become current”, but also “If you do decide for CP, you'll have to do everything ASAP in order to make sure somebody is not getting ahead of you”.

3. With CP, is the interview date still dependent on the start of the Fiscal Year and on “being current”, or is this only applicable to the AOS route? In other words, will our CP interview take place after Oct 1 2013 in any case?

4. After our Greencard interview and passport stamp and entering the US, when are we good to go? Do we have to wait for the actual card? How long will it take to receive it at our US address?

5. Did you hear of any tricky interview questions at the consulate?

Bless you!

Since you are already here on an F1, view the reading of the past postings as an exercise in "gathering / processing large quantities of information and filtering out relevant data".

The guys here are doing a terrific job with helping out people, but they certainly don't have the time to hand-hold you through the last 300 postings.

+1. Thumbs up to your post, I actually chuckled to myself as I read it.

blue:

MANY Thanks to all the selfless posters who are spending their time here helping people like me along!

I have read many of the 2013 / 2014 posts, USCIS info, and country stats, but several questions remain that I would ask your help with.

My wife and I are from a small EU country (with < 150 selectees 2013) have H1 visas for another 2.5 years, and have always been in status. I am the principal selectee with CN 2014EU00009XXX.

Hi there. I spent most of the last night correcting my posts and sending people PMs (whom I think will be affected) about this country quota issue. There is no definite country quota, the law says regional quota, but when we look at numbers we see a pattern where only half of the selectees get a visa for that country. So do not worry about country quota too much, the best thing to do is to call the KCC and ask them if you should worry about a country quota issue.

My number was 9xxx and became current in January. My country selectee number was much higher but it may not matter at all for EU. Again there is no 100% whether it does or does not.

However, our goal is to the get the Greencard as fast as possible so we can get new jobs and get out of the H1 tyranny. That’s why we are leaning towards CP, but we don’t want to rule out AOS yet.

1. Does anything speak against CP in our specific case, or would AOS still be better given that we are already here?
AOS is not "better" since it will be always slower than CP. But for some people, it could be the safer way. In your case, H1B is dual intent, so you can really go either way.

2. If we go CP, should I file the DSP 122 right now? I saw posts like “nothing happens before Oct 1 anyway”, “People still have to wait until their numbers become current”, but also “If you do decide for CP, you'll have to do everything ASAP in order to make sure somebody is not getting ahead of you”.

Guilty as charged :( But those comments are for particular circumstances, it does not apply to everybody. If somebody is from SA region, then yes, being fast can change things. In your case, 9xxx is a good number for EU.

3. With CP, is the interview date still dependent on the start of the Fiscal Year and on “being current”, or is this only applicable to the AOS route? In other words, will our CP interview take place after Oct 1 2013 in any case?
Yes, you'll get an interview after you are current. In CP it'll be faster than in AOS.
4. After our Greencard interview and passport stamp and entering the US, when are we good to go? Do we have to wait for the actual card? How long will it take to receive it at our US address?
Once you get stamps in your passport, you can come back to US.

Bless you!

Bless you!

Congratulations on your selection1

1. Both CP and AOS have their pros and cons. I personally leave it to selectees to make the final decision as to which route is best for them.

2. If you opt for CP, you need to send in both the DSP-122 for yourself and DS 230 for wife and yourself. AOS only requires the DSP-122 form for the main selectee only. While nothing happens right away for either process, since the fiscal year for DV 2014 begins in Oct 2013, it's a good idea to send in your forms to KCC as soon as you can, once the decision is made on which route you going. KCC needs the time to prepare case files and forward them to the embassy or USCIS as the case may be.

3. Interview date depends on your case number being current for both AOS and CP. The advantage of doing CP is that you will most likely be intrviewed within the month your case becomes current, but for AOS, the month your case becomes current is when you will be eligible to send in your I-485 package and interview could be up to 2 months after that.

4. If you do CP, your passport will get stamped and you become a LPR once you return to the States. You do not need to wait for the actual card which could take between 2 - 6 weeks to arrive.

Good luck!

Hi all,
I am from EU and my case # is 10XXX, it'll be current in Dec most probably. My wife is pregnant and the due date is late December. I was planning to go for CP but she has travel limitations especially after October. The only way seems like AOS but I don't think she will be allowed to have all tests and vaccinations for medical examination because of pregnancy before late January. Do you think I can submit i485 without i693 or i693 with missing vaccinations/tests for her? Should I wait until mid/end January complete medical exams and submit? Thanks for answers.

10xxx would be January probably but it's just a guess. It may be the case that you may not need to worry about all shots in case of pregnancy, but please contact KCC and get an infopass for your local FO and double check. Do not send I-485 without the medicals.

Follow-up about traveling

Aos13 and Sm1smom -- your answers have been very helpful, thanks a lot!

One more question:

We plan to travel home in June 2013 for family visits and also to get our new H visa stamps (we got our approval letters months ago).

Aos13 advised to “send DSP122 after coming back in order not to complicate matters”, and Sm1smom said “Don't send in your DSP-122 till you come back from your trip. Get your H1 visa stamp, come back into the US.”.

Given that, is it OK to send the DSP in late July after we are back, and still get our proper place in line for CP?
Or would it be safer to cancel our trip, file the DSP right now, wait for the interview slot (probably Dec / Jan), and go home to do the CP (and hopefully a nice x-mas party with family)?

All the best!

Children Information on Lottery Entry

Hi, thanks again for all the help!

I just realized that at the time of submitting DV 2014 entry, I had NOT listed my child (US Citizen, born last year in the States). Since the child does not need a green card, do I still have to notify KCC or USCIS about having an American born child?

Ok, I feel a need to state a disclaimer here that I am not an immigration and the suggestions that I make are not intended to be constituted as legal opinions. The suggestions I proffer what I would do if I was in a similar situation based on my experience and understanding of the DV process.

Knowing fully well that the H1/4 visa is a dual intent visa and I opt to do CP in place of AOS, I would go ahead and submit my DSP & DS forms now, wait till my interview before traveling home. If i opt to do AOS, I would still stay back in the US, complete my GC application before traveling back home to see loved ones.

This is what I would do if I had to make such a decision.

Aos13 and Sm1smom -- your answers have been very helpful, thanks a lot!

One more question:

We plan to travel home in June 2013 for family visits and also to get our new H visa stamps (we got our approval letters months ago).

Aos13 advised to “send DSP122 after coming back in order not to complicate matters”, and Sm1smom said “Don't send in your DSP-122 till you come back from your trip. Get your H1 visa stamp, come back into the US.”.

Given that, is it OK to send the DSP in late July after we are back, and still get our proper place in line for CP?
Or would it be safer to cancel our trip, file the DSP right now, wait for the interview slot (probably Dec / Jan), and go home to do the CP (and hopefully a nice x-mas party with family)?

All the best!

Re: Follow-up about traveling

Ok, I feel a need to state a disclaimer here that I am not an immigration and the suggestions that I make are not intended to be constituted as legal opinions. The suggestions I proffer what I would do if I was in a similar situation based on my experience and understanding of the DV process.

Knowing fully well that the H1/4 visa is a dual intent visa and I opt to do CP in place of AOS, I would go ahead and submit my DSP & DS forms now, wait till my interview before traveling home. If i opt to do AOS, I would still stay back in the US, complete my GC application before traveling back home to see loved ones.

This is what I would do if I had to make such a decision.

Sm1smom -- thanks again for your advice. No problem, I am not holding you to it... I am going to consult with an immi attorney anyway. Just wanted to get your experienced opinion first.

Keep up the good work!

DV 2014 selectee AOS vs CP

Hi everybody,
I am a DV 2014 selectee. My CN is 2014EU00022XXX. I am from Spain, but I live in USA since 2007. Last year I changed from J1 to H1B visa (it will expire in June 2015). I went to USCIS office and they confirmed my elegibility to apply for AOS. Based on my CN should I go for AOS or CP???
At the USCIS office they told me that if I decide to go for AOS I will need to pay a fee ($1070) and fill the forms I-485 and also I-765, I-131 and I-693, is that correct? Are those forms part of the AOS package that I will need to send to Chicago? Do I need to hire a lawyer to help me with those forms?
Thank you in advance and congrats!!,
PAU1

Hi, thanks again for all the help!

I just realized that at the time of submitting DV 2014 entry, I had NOT listed my child (US Citizen, born last year in the States). Since the child does not need a green card, do I still have to notify KCC or USCIS about having an American born child?

You don't have to list your USC child when entering the lottery. But in one of the forms that you will send, you have to list all your children regardless of their citizenship.

Hi everybody,
I am a DV 2014 selectee. My CN is 2014EU00022XXX. I am from Spain, but I live in USA since 2007. Last year I changed from J1 to H1B visa (it will expire in June 2015). I went to USCIS office and they confirmed my elegibility to apply for AOS. Based on my CN should I go for AOS or CP???
At the USCIS office they told me that if I decide to go for AOS I will need to pay a fee ($1070) and fill the forms I-485 and also I-765, I-131 and I-693, is that correct? Are those forms part of the AOS package that I will need to send to Chicago? Do I need to hire a lawyer to help me with those forms?
Thank you in advance and congrats!!,
PAU1

I don't think you need a lawyer to fill those forms, I didn't. A lot of people do it by themselves. CP or AOS is your choice, your case number is on the higher end and your H1B is good until 2015, so you can go either way, but CP can give you an advantage as you'll have to wait longer for interview in AOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.