• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taiwan Selectees

1. They will tell you that because they need to know how many people will actually apply, they need to do planning. Also for those from very low quota countries, timeliness is essential.
2. Extending I-20 should not be a big problem, you won't have to deal with DoS or USCIS to do that, but it won't look good that you extended it and sent DSP-122 right away. Now you are from Taiwan and apparently there is about a couple of hundred visas available for Taiwan if I'm not mistaken. So sending DSP-122 ASAP looks like a good idea, but your number is around 8000 so you'll have to wait quite some time to get an interview anyway. Doing CP seems to be in your favor, but remember that if you don't get your GC, you may not be able to come back to US. Try to inform yourself as much as you can before making a decision.

Thank you so much aos13, i am "getting there"...; just want to clarify please.. thanks!

1. low quota countries - you are correct, statistically taiwan has about 200 - 300 quotas allocated, so judging from my # 2014AS000060** is low but compared to 200 quotas to taiwan is still high for me - correct?
2. i am going to extend my f1 first, then send DSP-122 and do AOS - looking at my history been here almost for 10 years with so many types of visa, i am def NOT coming back if i risk it to do CP in taiwan unless i get GC - correct?
3. my # 2014AS000060** - is this for ALL asia countries or just for taiwan selectees?
4. the reason that CP is faster for me than AOS is that CP can be done right away, but AOS can only be done after September and with available visa # released for the # in 6000? that is why the person from kentucky told me i might get an interview next year in march?
5. if sadly i did not get my GC by doing AOS, will i run into trouble transferring my visa back to h1b, because of the "intent"??

planning to get married...does it affect my gc process?

hello everyone,
congratulations for being selected.
I am planning to get married with my girlfriend and want to mention it on the KCP 122 so that both will have chances to being approved for gc. initially i put single as my marital status. is there any risks, to get married and fill out the spouse part?

Huh, so it is different for different countries I guess. Because I know two cases where they could not get an extension after the waiver. Goes to show that every case is different. Thanks for sharing.

Ok I did some reading and I have not seen any rule that allows for an extension after the waiver. One can extend while waiver is pending but not after. So your case should be pretty exceptional, maybe your country is not in the skills list, or you changed programs? I don't know, in any case this waiver requirement is something that J1 holders have to be careful about.

Thank you so much aos13, i am "getting there"...; just want to clarify please.. thanks!

1. low quota countries - you are correct, statistically taiwan has about 200 - 300 quotas allocated, so judging from my # 2014AS000060** is low but compared to 200 quotas to taiwan is still high for me - correct?
2. i am going to extend my f1 first, then send DSP-122 and do AOS - looking at my history been here almost for 10 years with so many types of visa, i am def NOT coming back if i risk it to do CP in taiwan unless i get GC - correct?
3. my # 2014AS000060** - is this for ALL asia countries or just for taiwan selectees?
4. the reason that CP is faster for me than AOS is that CP can be done right away, but AOS can only be done after September and with available visa # released for the # in 6000? that is why the person from kentucky told me i might get an interview next year in march?
5. if sadly i did not get my GC by doing AOS, will i run into trouble transferring my visa back to h1b, because of the "intent"??
1. I do not know if 6000 is low for Asia, but it sure does not mean there are 6000 people in front of you. And it is for the whole region, not just your country.EDIT: If you do CP you may get an interview in March but nothing is guaranteed. If you do AOS, your interview could be May or later.

2. No, you can always come back on H1B visa, it is dual intent.
3. All Asia.
4. Everybody has to wait until October as fas as I know.
5. H1B is dual intent, you can go back to H1B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plasmicshree,

What is the appointment with USCIS for? I thought for opt school DSO will assist in completing form. As a side note, if you are graduating this May your opt should be sent by now. It takes average 3 months for Opt to be processed last I checked.

For all selectees, sending DSP 122 has no bearing on country quota. Country quota is used up as visas are issued. The earliest visas for 2014 will be issued is oct 1, 2013.

Note if you have perused all DV threads as advised by my good friends aos13 and sms1mom ,KCC response takes on average 3 months for them to respond as they are only dealing with dv2013 applicants at this time.

One of the government website said to contact local USCIS if u r already in USA and got selected for DV, thats why I did. Also, OPT has to reach the USCIS within 60 days of graduation, so people usually delay it so that you will get 14 months OPT instead of 12 months, and this is really helpful if you do not have a job offer.

First thing first: when are you graduating? What is expiration date on your I20/DS2019 ?

Since you have very low case number, and high quota (not selectees, right?) do not worry about sending anything late. Chances are you will be current in October but even if you send your stuff later, you will get your GC. How late is the question. If you haven't applied for OPT yet, you are not getting it before end of August. Add about 90 days (during which you better be working in a company) and you are looking at early December to send your DSP-122 to be on the "safe" side. If you get a response from KCC in about 1-2 months, it is like February to send I-485. With 2000 quota you should be fine, but if you want to play it safe, why not doing CP in October and get done with it?

I am graduating this semester. My I 20 expires this May. I will be getting a new I-20 soon, which will be used to file my OPT, but I dont know for how long will that I-20 be good ? Ya, and ~2000 is the number I obtained from government side, its not selectees.
Also, I dont think I will be working in a company in 3 months, have not received a single interview call till date :(
I have whole family here, so doing CP at this point looks financially impossible.

One of the government website said to contact local USCIS if u r already in USA and got selected for DV, thats why I did. Also, OPT has to reach the USCIS within 60 days of graduation, so people usually delay it so that you will get 14 months OPT instead of 12 months, and this is really helpful if you do not have a job offer.

Ok I understand why you have an infopass. Just as FYI be prepared to leave the meeting with no answers. They are clueless about DV AOs and will probably ask a senior to answer your question. Senior will tell you to send docs when current.

I would advise all those intending to complete AOS to familiarize themselves with I-485 instructions.

To recap what process will be for those who qualify and can complete AOS.
1. Send DSP-122 to KCC.
2. Wait for KCC to send their confirm, will be sent by email.
3. Once KCC confirms, send payment to DOS. $330 per individual in your family completing AOS.
4. When current send I-485 to USCIs.

O-1 is dual intent visa, you will be fine at the consulate.

Thank you so very much! I had no idea, since you cannot transition from O-1 to green card unless you petition yourself for extraordinary ability. Thanks again, I can breathe :)

Thank you so very much! I had no idea, since you cannot transition from O-1 to green card unless you petition yourself for extraordinary ability. Thanks again, I can breathe :)

So there IS a path to green card. As far as I have read, it is dual intent so you could apply for a GC using EA or even family petition, DV is just another path. Now, there is no special requirements for O1, is there? Like J's home residency or something like that? If not, you should be fine.

I am graduating this semester. My I 20 expires this May. I will be getting a new I-20 soon, which will be used to file my OPT, but I dont know for how long will that I-20 be good ? Ya, and ~2000 is the number I obtained from government side, its not selectees.
Also, I dont think I will be working in a company in 3 months, have not received a single interview call till date :(
I have whole family here, so doing CP at this point looks financially impossible.

Ok your first priority is to get your OPT done. And then wait. I would hesitate to contact USCIS about AOS since they could think that I am using OPT just to lengthen my stay, especially without a job prospect.

Hi All,

After years of trying, my wife is able to win the lottery this time :).
I am super excited but also worried about the chances of visa.
I am on F-1 doing Phd and she is F-2(housewife).
Her case no is 2014AS00008***. I think this case number is still high.

Do any body from previous experience(s) can tell about our chances?

Also does holding clean F-1/F-2 status makes it better to process as AOS or is it better with CP?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Fulbari

Ok I20 expiring in 2015 is good. Please familiarize yourself with the pdf links I posted to have some idea of your chances of getting a dv number regarding your country's quota. You can do aos as long as you have never been out of status, so you should be fine.

Graduating in December

hey can one help me with this? I will be graduating in December 2013. So that I would be out of F1-status. I dont know how long does the "DV" process usually take place? Does it hamper if I graduate early. My number is around 9xxx and i am planning to do AOS, since i m in US.
Appreciated

hey can one help me with this? I will be graduating in December 2013. So that I would be out of F1-status. I dont know how long does the "DV" process usually take place? Does it hamper if I graduate early. My number is around 9xxx and i am planning to do AOS, since i m in US.
Appreciated

What region and country are you from? In any case, 9xxx may not get you an AOS interview by December.

re

What region and country are you from? In any case, 9xxx may not get you an AOS interview by December.

I am from Nepal (its in Asia, it usually has a quota of 4500-5000 )...some say my 9XXX is not high..some say its too high....right now i m in LA, USA...so...if my interview cant be done by december..what do u think i shoud do?

thanks again :)

I am from Nepal (its in Asia, it usually has a quota of 4500-5000 )...some say my 9XXX is not high..some say its too high....right now i m in LA, USA...so...if my interview cant be done by december..what do u think i shoud do?

thanks again :)

Nobody has any idea how fast or slow the case numbers will progress this year. Right now Asia is at 7850 for example. Where is it going to be next year this time? Nobody knows.

If you have job prospects, you can go for OPT and start working as soon as you graduate and then go with AOS. But if you are graduating in December and you don't think you'll have a job lined up for you, you can go back to Nepal and get your GC through CP.

So there IS a path to green card. As far as I have read, it is dual intent so you could apply for a GC using EA or even family petition, DV is just another path. Now, there is no special requirements for O1, is there? Like J's home residency or something like that? If not, you should be fine.

I guess there is, but getting a green card through EB-1 (extraordinary ability) is extremely expensive and difficult :(

It seems that O-1 is indeed dual intent, but it appears to be a gray area. I do not have any requirements, except that after 3 years the visa expires and I would have to get another O-1 from another company or perhaps try to extend it for one more year.

Thanks again!

Nobody has any idea how fast or slow the case numbers will progress this year. Right now Asia is at 7850 for example. Where is it going to be next year this time? Nobody knows.

If you have job prospects, you can go for OPT and start working as soon as you graduate and then go with AOS. But if you are graduating in December and you don't think you'll have a job lined up for you, you can go back to Nepal and get your GC through CP.

i dont think i will be getting a job after i graduate...do u thnk i might get an interview before december if i did the CP? can't i continue my AOS when looking for a job after i graduate? or..do u thnk it will help if i extend an extra semester(graduate in spring 2014) and do the AOS mean while?

do not get irritated with questions..thanks for the help though :)

Help deciding AOS vs CP

Congratulations to all DV 2014 selectees !! I'm super excited that I got selected this time. I've been reading this thread at least three times now and have a good understanding of the DV process. Thanks everyone for sharing valuable information and experiences.

Currently, I'm on H1B visa and my wife is a student on F1 visa. She is finishing her graduate studies this summer and applying for OPT. We hope that she will get EAD card sometime August 2013. I'm considering both AOS and CP and right now I'm gathering information before making a decision.

I'm from Sri Lanka and my case number is 2014AS000065xx , Is it consider a higher case number? Based on my calculations seems like it. Would love to know your opinion too.

AOS

1. Only I have to send DS-122 + 2 photos + bar code page
2. Based on posts on this thread, I may want to wait 90 days after my wife get OPT card to send DS-122.
3. Advantage is in case of rejection my wife does not loose her (F1) visa
4. I don't have to leave the country for interview
5. Disadvantage is this process is slower than CP, Visa # might run out while I'm waiting for USCIS

CP

1. I have to send DS-122 + 2 photos + bar code page
2. I have to submit DS-230 for my wife and my son doesn't need it as he born in the US.
3. I may want to wait 90 days after my wife get OPT card. Does this apply for CP too ?
4. We need to leave country for the interview.
5. In case of rejection, My wife may not allow to enter US and I may have to apply H4 visa for her.
6. Risk might worth as it is faster than AOS.

In case, DV does not work out I can rely on my employer to get me my GC as they already started it. However I asked them to hold it for now as I'm going through DV. Please add your opinion on my interpretation on AOS and CP.
Which process you would follow under my circumstances. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two quick questions peeps

1. How will KCC email me with payment instructions? There is no place to insert an email address on the DSP-122?
2. Do I need to send a stamped self addressed envelope with the DSP-122- or just the barcode letter and 2 passport photos? Seen conflicting advice

Thanks lovelies x

Status
Not open for further replies.