• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else agree with me that it looks like interviews are coming later this year compared to prior years?

Boston seems to be faster than it was before, but that seems to be it. Overall it feels slower.

Hey guys I filled my DSP-122 , DS-230 Part I and II. When I completed those forms I stated that I will be doing AOS. Since I am from Nepal and my Case # is high in 12xxx , may be I will go for CP. Can I change it now? If I do change how late can I do that because if I see that the number becomes current for August I think it will be OK. So by Jun15 ( this will be july visa bulletin that will havee advance notification for august) I look at the visa bulletin and still don;t see my number current.Will it be too late to have the case converted to CP and go for a CP processing?

For significantly benefiting from CP, you will need to make the switch earlier. When the July VB comes out in mid-June, almost a week later they will start setting appointments for August currents. If you just then send new forms to switch to CP, it potentially can take them a couple of weeks to process your new forms, and then another week or so to set the appointment.

I would advise you to finalize your decision earlier.

Does anybody else agree with me that it looks like interviews are coming later this year compared to prior years?

Boston seems to be faster than it was before, but that seems to be it. Overall it feels slower.

The timeline shows a couple of people with almost 4 months past their NOA without having even received the IL. If I were them, I would definitely get an InfoPass and poke them to expedite things.

BTW, I don't think 4 months is terrible, but then again I don't think you'll lose anything by getting an InfoPass.

The timeline shows a couple of people with almost 4 months past their NOA without having even received the IL. If I were them, I would definitely get an InfoPass and poke them to expedite things.

BTW, I don't think 4 months is terrible, but then again I don't think you'll lose anything by getting an InfoPass.

Hmmmm... I'm gonna need to make a decision about how late I can start aos. I'm hoping to be current in May, but failing that June. I feel like that should be enough time for aos. However, it starts to get tricky for July current dates and probably too risky (for my nerve) if it were August or September. I know starting in September is theoretically possible but I don't think my heart could stand the stress!

So, for me I think the decision looks like this:-
May/June = aos
July = maybe
August/September = no.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Hmmmm... I'm gonna need to make a decision about how late I can start aos. I'm hoping to be current in May, but failing that June. I feel like that should be enough time for aos. However, it starts to get tricky for July current dates and probably too risky (for my nerve) if it were August or September. I know starting in September is theoretically possible but I don't think my heart could stand the stress!

So, for me I think the decision looks like this:-
May/June = aos
July = maybe
August/September = no.

Anyone agree/disagree?

One advantage that you have is that the US embassy in your country is not flooded with immigration interviews (I assume). So by switching to CP even later in the game, you still have a good chance.

But others, like perrybhadra that comes from Nepal, with potentially very busy embassies, may not be as lucky to get an interview if switching too late.

One advantage that you have is that the US embassy in your country is not flooded with immigration interviews (I assume). So by switching to CP even later in the game, you still have a good chance.

But others, like perrybhadra that comes from Nepal, with potentially very busy embassies, may not be as lucky to get an interview if switching too late.

Yes true. I have not switched to aos yet, so for me it is a matter at this point of either not switching or switching - I probably wouldn't switch back. We will move to the States in mid/late Feb. I'm going to watch the next VB. If it jumps to 26/27 then I would be pretty confident of being current in May or June, and then I will be able to make the switch. If the next VB is bad (like 23/24) then I would be left with more of a dilemma.

Out of Status after sending documents and getting appointment?

Hi everyone,

I've been scouring this great forum for a long time in search for an answer to the following question:

I am on OPT, which ends beginning of September. My case number is EU40XXX, so I expect it to be current August/September 2014.
Let's say I choose AOS (adjustment of status) and my number becomes current in September. I file and send all my documents in. What happens while I'm waiting for an answer to get an appointment?
There would be a period between the end of my OPT and the USCIS appointment, where I'm out of status.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation?

Thank you very much for your help, I highly appreciate it!

Regards,

Hi everyone,

I've been scouring this great forum for a long time in search for an answer to the following question:

I am on OPT, which ends beginning of September. My case number is EU40XXX, so I expect it to be current August/September 2014.
Let's say I choose AOS (adjustment of status) and my number becomes current in September. I file and send all my documents in. What happens while I'm waiting for an answer to get an appointment?
There would be a period between the end of my OPT and the USCIS appointment, where I'm out of status.

Regards,

All you need is to be in valid status at the time your I-485 is officially accepted. Beyond that, you will be in a valid "Pending Adjustment of Status" status, which is legal. If you run out of OPT, you will not be able to work, unless you also apply and receive the Employment Authorization Card (EAD) when you send in your I-485 package.

Hi everyone,

Regards,

All you need is to be in valid status at the time your I-485 is officially accepted. Beyond that, you will be in a valid "Pending Adjustment of Status" status, which is legal. If you run out of OPT, you will not be able to work, unless you also apply and receive the Employment Authorization Card (EAD) when you send in your I-485 package.

Hmmm I think the OP needs to also consider the situation if the number does not go current for September. I personally doubt EU40k will be current in August. So, when the VB in mid July is release he will know the position and will need to decide what to do if he is not going to be current for September.

Also, as I described above I would personally be nervous of starting aos so late - although I have been told that some have done it successfully.

Ok I am about to send my documents to lockbox. I was just wondering where will I do my bio later? I did not mention any USCIS? Also for I-765 do I belong to the category (c)(9) ? (F-1, filing 765 based on DV.) Thanks in advance. I don't know what would I do without this forum. :)

Hmmm I think the OP needs to also consider the situation if the number does not go current for September. I personally doubt EU40k will be current in August. So, when the VB in mid July is release he will know the position and will need to decide what to do if he is not going to be current for September.

Also, as I described above I would personally be nervous of starting aos so late - although I have been told that some have done it successfully.

Correct. I was just getting at the "valid status" thing. I left the rest for him (the "industrious student") to figure out :) LOL

Ok I am about to send my documents to lockbox. I was just wondering where will I do my bio later? I did not mention any USCIS? Also for I-765 do I belong to the category (c)(9) ? (F-1, filing 765 based on DV.) Thanks in advance. I don't know what would I do without this forum. :)

Please enter your case info in the spreadsheet, like most of us have done.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqV9QL_-yUzJdDdvdFREMkNDeFNDVzFzblo2bkFYclE#gid=0

Use this link to find your applicable Application Support Center (ASC).

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=ASC

USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Is this the address for UPS Delivery. I found different address so got a little bit confused. Thanks

Guys
I need immediate help on this question.as part of AOS application materials that I sent almost three months ago, (CN# 2014AS0000017XX) I sent my marriage certificate and birth certificate copies with official translations that was done outside the US. Did I need to approve these translations before sending them to USCIS or write anything on them for USCIS? They were all translated by authorized translator and were authenticated by needed authorities? Thanks.

Guys
I need immediate help on this question.as part of AOS application materials that I sent almost three months ago, (CN# 2014AS0000017XX) I sent my marriage certificate and birth certificate copies with official translations that was done outside the US. Did I need to approve these translations before sending them to USCIS or write anything on them for USCIS? They were all translated by authorized translator and were authenticated by needed authorities? Thanks.

You're good. Don't worry.

According to my lawyer the I-140/I-485 combination will take 4-5 months to get approved. I don't think that will be faster than the DV lottery case being approved. However, given that there is a delay from the FO at this time in sending the interview letters I would like to keep the option of my case through an employer viable. To do that I have to act on the I-140/I-485 before the PERM expires.

DvPerm:

Why you want to file I-140/I-485, if you have one pending and you have still much time for interview letter? Is PERM faster in processing?

According to my lawyer the I-140/I-485 combination will take 4-5 months to get approved. I don't think that will be faster than the DV lottery case being approved. However, given that there is a delay from the FO at this time in sending the interview letters I would like to keep the option of my case through an employer viable. To do that I have to act on the I-140/I-485 before the PERM expires.

I think you are doing the right thing.

I would follow through with the DV; it is expected to be a lot faster. Move forward with the I-140/I-485 only if DV is not moving and PERM is about to expire.

One huge advantage of DV over Employment Based (especially now that you have already paid the fees from your own pocket) is that you will not have any commitments to your employer. Under EB, you will have to stay with your employer at least for 3 to 6 months after receiving the GC before switching jobs, otherwise you may raise a few eyebrows particularly at your citizenship interview. With DV, you'll be free as a bird as soon as you have the plastic card in your pocket.

Guys...
I have my birth certificate which is originally in english language. I didn't have birth certificate before and for DV process I have to request district committee back home, who gave me in english instead of our national language. Does it matter, it has to be in the national language other than english and traslated into english for valid?

Thank you

Guys...
I have my birth certificate which is originally in english language. I didn't have birth certificate before and for DV process I have to request district committee back home, who gave me in english instead of our national language. Does it matter, it has to be in the national language other than english and traslated into english for valid?

Thank you

I am in same boat. There is a memo in Nepal US Embassy mentionting if you were born before specified year for specified district you won;t have proper Birth Certificate from hospital. In that case if the letter is english/nepali if from VDC it should work. I am planning to have that page printed and take it with me during interview or even submiting so that case officer is aware of it. I believe a letter with printed would be more reasonable that a hand printed letter.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.