• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

That sounds like it went well. Some of the IOs aren't that familiar with the DV process, so I think when they say they will be doing some chacks, it just means they are checking how to approve you. I agree it is a good sign she took the I94/I20. Hold your nerve and hopefully you will see some update soon! PLease let us know here when that happens!
we just check our case status! and guess what!? Its Card Production!!!

Hello all,

My name is Angela. I don't post much here but I have been reading you guys' posts a lot since last year when I found out I won the lottery. This time I decide to write a post to share with you my interview this morning.

Our interview was scheduled at 7:30 am. My hubby and I arrived there right on time. However, there are some people ahead of us, so we waited for almost 1 hour for our interview. The IO that interviewed us was a lady. She was very kind and friendly. We took the oath then she started asking me for my passport, i-94 and i-20. She went through the i-485 form with me (only asked a few
questions on i-485 such as: Did you join the communist party? Did you ever apply for public assistance?) Then, asked to see our original birth certificate. Then she did the same to my husband. At the end, she says she has to do some check before she approves our case. If our case gets approved, we will get the green card in the mail within 10-30 days. If we don't get the green card within 30 days, it means she has requested some documents from the state govt and still hasnt received them yet. I am not sure what documents she will or may request from the state govt ( do u have any idea?) Then she asked if we had any question. my husband noticed that
she took my i-20 and our i-94. so he asked her about them then she said she would keep them. sounds like she's going to approve us...but not sure. what do u guys think?
What FO are you? Congrats!!!

Don't even sweat it. Just use your new address when its time to submit your I-485 package, there's no need to inform KCC. However, you need to inform USCIS everytime you move until you become a USC. So go online and do an address change now.

Mom! I shall move from the current address to a new address in around 45 days. When shall I inform USCIS of change of address? After I have actually moved?
I don't see any point to inform them earlier (cause it's somehow misleading!). What's your comment, plz.

Mom! I shall move from the current address to a new address in around 45 days. When shall I inform USCIS of change of address? After I have actually moved?
I don't see any point to inform them earlier (cause it's somehow misleading!). What's your comment, plz.

Only inform them after the actual move, not before.

Okay Forum teammates!!! Here is my interview story line... Enjoy!!!
Last tuesday, 5/20/2014 my interview was scheduled at 1:00pm. I had a job interview before it (teacher, so sample lessons and all) I ended up getting there 10 minutes late. I entered at 1:10... freaking out coz i'm late... guys at security calm me down saying it is no biggie. 1:15 my name gets called I walk up and a pleasant middle-aged lady welcomes me and walks me to a room, asks me to take a seat.

IO: I have good news and bad news.
Me: Let's hear them both.
IO: when does your OPT end?
Me: Not until September this year.
IO: That's great coz i'll have to deny your I-485 application today because you filed prior to your current date. All such applications need to be rejected. It hurt me to see a straightforward application like yours... I understand taking time off work.............. etc...
Me: Okay. I do understand the rule about filing only after becoming current. However, starting this year an exception has been made for AOS DV lottery winners. In fact, i attached the DHS memo to my application.
(IO starts to flip through searching... I keep silent waiting... after 30 seconds... she still can't find it)
Me: Well, I have a copy with me today i'll find it. (I dramatically take out a folder from my bag, and search it in a deliberate slow manner and pull out the memo) Mind you i knew where it was in the pile coz i had arranged them in order.
(I hand it to the IO, she starts reading, grabs a highlighter, highlights, nods, flips, staples the sheets together)
Me: It's available in public domain online and very easy to come by...
(She is still reading and annotating)
IO: IN THAT CASE RAISE YOUR HAND AND SAY AFTER ME: DO YOU SWEAR TO>>>>>>
Me: I do
IO: your name is...., born in.... date of birth, ... current address...are you a terrorist? .... I'm like does anyone ever say yes to that? She goes no, but if anyone did i'm not prepared with what I would do.
.... Congratulations. You just saved yourself over a 1000 bucks and time. Rarely does anyone do their research who comes here.
Me: Thank you... i'm going to squander 1000 bucks now just so i feel good.
Me: Can you check on my EAD application... it is still on initial review.
IO: it just got approved today and the card was mailed to you...
IO: I have to bring this memo to my supervisor... i bet she doesn't know about it either.
(comes back after...)
IO: She says she does't remember it... she may have seen it but forgot about it...
Me(thinking to myself): way to go for knowing your job...
IO: Congrats again.
She walks me to the reception area, Small talk... she's about my mom's age... ...... end..... thoughts opinions???

Last tuesday, 5/20/2014 my interview was scheduled at 1:00pm. I had a job interview before it (teacher, so sample lessons and all) I ended up getting there 10 minutes late. I entered at 1:10... freaking out coz i'm late... guys at security calm me down saying it is no biggie. 1:15 my name gets called I walk up and a pleasant middle-aged lady welcomes me and walks me to a room, asks me to take a seat.

IO: That's great coz i'll have to deny your I-485 application today because you filed prior to your current date. All such applications need to be rejected. It hurt me to see a straightforward application like yours... I understand taking time off work.............. etc...
Me: Okay. I do understand the rule about filing only after becoming current. However, starting this year an exception has been made for AOS DV lottery winners. In fact, i attached the DHS memo to my application.
(IO starts to flip through searching... I keep silent waiting... after 30 seconds... she still can't find it)
Me: Well, I have a copy with me today i'll find it. (I dramatically take out a folder from my bag, and search it in a deliberate slow manner and pull out the memo) Mind you i knew where it was in the pile coz i had arranged them in order.
(I hand it to the IO, she starts reading, grabs a highlighter, highlights, nods, flips, staples the sheets together)
IO: your name is...., born in.... date of birth, ... current address...are you a terrorist? .... I'm like does anyone ever say yes to that? She goes no, but if anyone did i'm not prepared with what I would do.
.... Congratulations. You just saved yourself over a 1000 bucks and time. Rarely does anyone do their research who comes here.
Small talk ...... end..... thoughts opinions???

Yeah I have an opinion! FAN-TAS-TIC!!!!!

You prepared well, and because of that you saved a lot of hassle and expense and put yourself in the driving seat! That is EXACTLY why this forum is such a goldmine. IT was initially quite surprising that they don't know this information - but they really don't. It is up to US to be prepared and get what we deserve. I am so happy for you!

Well, that's ridiculous because they shouldn't have scheduled an interview before you were current anyway. When did you become current? It's irrelevant now since you're approved but let's do a postmortem. If your file ends up in front of her, you already passed the stage where they (Chicago lockbox) check whether you can file or not. The only chance the above statement by IO has some logic is IF they made a mistake and scheduled your appointment before your actual current date. Even in that case, instead of denying(!) the application, they could have simply rescheduled.

And out of the curiosity, what was her "good" news?? o_O

If we don't get the green card within 30 days, it means she has requested some documents from the state govt and still hasnt received them yet. I am not sure what documents she will or may request from the state govt ( do u have any idea?)

She probably meant State Department. Either the KCC file, or checking if they have a visa number for you.

Congrats on your green card!

Don't even sweat it. Just use your new address when its time to submit your I-485 package, there's no need to inform KCC. However, you need to inform USCIS everytime you move until you become a USC. So go online and do an address change now.

Thank you Mom,

Well, that's ridiculous because they shouldn't have scheduled an interview before you were current anyway. When did you become current? It's irrelevant now since you're approved but let's do a postmortem. If your file ends up in front of her, you already passed the stage where they (Chicago lockbox) check whether you can file or not. The only chance the above statement by IO has some logic is IF they made a mistake and scheduled your appointment before your actual current date. Even in that case, instead of denying(!) the application, they could have simply rescheduled.

I took it that the IO was saying that the simple act of filing early (even though the interview was after the actual current date) was the issue. Ridiculous as you say!

The good news was probably that they are re-running old Friends episodes.... :eek:

IO: I have to bring this memo to my supervisor... i bet she doesn't know about it either.
(comes back after...)
IO: She says she does't remember it... she may have seen it but forgot about it...
She walks me to the reception area, Small talk... she's about my mom's age... ...... end..... thoughts opinions???

Congratulations are in order, I believe. Your online status should change anytime soon, there's no reason for the application to not be approved. I'm glad you went there fully harmed to defend your case.

It bothers me a great deal when people don't bother to read postings by others or the responses already provided and simply go ahead and post their own question likely it's completely new. You obviously availed yourself of the resources made available in the forum, you printed out everything and anything that could have helped your case and one of those came in handy at the right time. So a big *thumbs up* to you!!

(comes back after...)
Congrats. Im wondering how IO has no idea about the memo regarding AOS.

Congrats. Im wondering how IO has no idea about the memo regarding AOS.

Hmmmm. I think this goes back to the point we have made before about lawyers not knowing diddly about DV cases. DV cases are rare. AOS DV cases are rarer still so you can sort of understand why an individual IO has no idea of a policy memo issued in 2013. Not saying its right, just something we need to accept and the reason we need to be prepared.

Yeah I have an opinion! FAN-TAS-TIC!!!!!

You prepared well, and because of that you saved a lot of hassle and expense and put yourself in the driving seat! That is EXACTLY why this forum is such a goldmine. IT was initially quite surprising that they don't know this information - but they really don't. It is up to US to be prepared and get what we deserve. I am so happy for you!

Thanks Britsimon... I couldn't agree more with the fact that it is up to us to be prepared and make a defense for ourselves when the situation calls for it.... I'm glad to be a part of such a group.

Hi aos13... i was current April 1, and i could have per the new memo filed as early as February 9th when the VB for April was published... But I wasn't done with medicals until March10 when I filed.... (2014AF000278XX). I didn't tell her but was sooo tempted to say that if it was the only reason for denial it should have been caught at the lockbox and the entire application should have been returned but it wasn't because it was correctly and timely filed..... O, I guess the good news she meant was that after denial (which by the way she had denial letters all typed up and concerning which she at one point said, "I guess we are not gonna need these" and dumped them. :) ) i could still reapply since my OPT wasn't over til September.... again speaking to sm1smom's frequent admonition to maintaing current status all through to approval.....

hope this helps your postmorthem.

Congratulations are in order, I believe. Your online status should change anytime soon, there's no reason for the application to not be approved. I'm glad you went there fully harmed to defend your case.

It bothers me a great deal when people don't bother to read postings by others or the responses already provided and simply go ahead and post their own question likely it's completely new. You obviously availed yourself of the resources made available in the forum, you printed out everything and anything that could have helped your case and one of those came in handy at the right time. So a big *thumbs up* to you!!
Thanks mom!!! i've been your secret admirer!!! i can recite some posts on here verbatim... i'm a future sm1'smom in the making i guess, and an aspriring britsimon .... i'd be a ghanasimon but o well!!! goodnight folks!!!

Hello everyone :)

I can see more and more people here approved - congratulations guys. I won't lie though I'm not green, with envy (good one, Britsimon!) :)

I had my interview on April 29, which was pretty impressive considering I became current in April. I found another person on this forum whose case was handled by the same FO last year. It's a small office and I believe they do things a bit differently. My bio walk-in had been on March 26, so I was hoping that by the day of my interview, everything would be ready and I would get approved, since my case is very simple (I'm single, didn't apply for EAD or AP, currently on H1B visa).

The interview went well overall. The officer was nice. She just asked me those yes/no questions from I-485, and that was it. However, the problem was that she didn't like my medical report. Now, I was convinced that as long as the civil surgeon signed off the papers, I was good. I mean, that surgeon is approved by them and his address is on the USCIS website, right?? But the officer said that there were some rows on the vaccination page of the form (last page) that weren't marked, and that I had to get a new report, again in a sealed envelope, where all the rows would be marked. So, she gave me a letter requesting new evidence, which specifically stated what was missing in my report. That letter also said: "Please provide the required evidence until July 26, or your application will be abandoned". Any idea why it's July 26? Of course, I didn't wait this long :)

Ok.. I'll spare you the details of my going to the civil surgeon again (we're talking about hours of driving...), having them do it right (I hope, this time!) and taking the sealed envelope back to my FO, all within about a week (by the way, my FO is 4,5 hours away from me, one way; my civil surgeon is 2,5 hours away from me.. oh well, I live in the boonies...)

So, on May 08, I personally brought my new medical report to the FO (had made an appointment thru InfoPass) and gave it to an officer (not the same one who had interviewed me though). I asked her if she thought there was anything else they needed, to which she said (after looking at my Request for Evidence letter) that if that was all they had asked, then no, I didn't need to provide anything else. So I just left, hoping to see my status change from Acceptance to something else, which it hasn't (and it's been over two weeks now).

I was stupid enough not to ask the officer at the interview whether my file had been transferred from KCC and whether there was anything else I needed. I was a bit frustrated about that medical report issue. Besides, I assumed that was the only problem.

I did, however, find out the name of the officer, and a few days ago I sent a letter to my FO with her as the addressee, and my alien number, by FedEx. In that letter I very politely inquired if she had received the new report, and if something else was needed of me. But I haven't heard anything.

To those of you who were patient enough to read my post - what do you think? What would you do now? I would think that if they have everything, they may just approve me. It's almost June and I'm becoming a bit nervous.

ALSO, QUESTION: When you call KCC to ask if your file was requested/transferred, do you ask just that: "Please tell me if my DV file was sent to my FO"? I tried it once and the lady didn't seem to have any idea of what I was talking about. What file is it? I mean, I only sent there my DSP-122 and paid the $330 fee. Could anyone please elaborate?

Thank you!!!!

Last edited: