• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

It is my turn to thank all the awesome people contributing to this forum and offering their help and support without the slightest amount of expectations! I really mean it when I say whenever I faced a failure in this journey you guys were my only source of solace. I specially need to thank @Sm1smom, @Britsimon, @wreck_it_ralph, @jj777, @Aria, @c1984 for their great advises without whom I would have given up thousands of times. To those who are still waiting to become green: I know with all my heart how frustrated you might feel right now. But do not lose your hope. I was advised not to sit in grief and waste time when there is still an opportunity to fight! I tell you the same thing. We still have 18 golden days. Try your best and hang in there just a tad more! You won't even remember these hard days 5 years from now when you are studying for the citizenship test! ;)
Congrats man! I'm celebrating my permanent residence soon. I'll PM you the details in case you want to join the celebration and double the fun!

Hello guys, thank you for this forum. I am so sad I only discovered this forum in this stage. Here is our complicated story:
My husband won the 2014 DV lottery, but his number was only current in August AF6****. We have 4 children, the oldest turned 21 on June 2014. You can imagine the stress. I am in an F1 visa and my husband and the other three children(15, 12 and 10 yr old) on F2. The oldest was on F2 until she started college; she became an F1 holder. Long story short, her scholarship was from our country, but because of a war there, her scholarship stopped for no reason, but the War. Her school visa adviser, which is at the same time my adviser(we go to the same school) suggested that we apply for an F2 visa on February. We received a letter from the USCIS on May 2014 asking for more evidence and suggesting the change of the application from F2 to B2 before her birthday on June. We sought an attorney's help and we sent all the requirements.
Last Sunday September 7th, her online status changed to approved and we received the approval notice 2 days later on 9/9/14. The approval is only from 9/3/2014 to 10/14/2014. It also has a new I-94 number at the end of the page.

We went to an info pass on July to ask if we can file on July since the VB already has announced August CN. The officer said wait until August to file. We filed on August 2nd. and it was received on the 5th. We had the finger print done on September 2nd after we received the appointment notice on August 26th.

On Monday 9/8/2014 my husband received a phone call from a USCIS officer to inform us with the appointment on this Monday 9/15/2014. She(the officer) sent the appointment on a word document attached to an email to my husband after her phone call. The document listed all of our names on one page. We reviewed all the documents and ready for the appointment, but the stress level is on the highest! We're extremely worried about our daughter's application. Any advise? Will they interview all of us together or one by one? What about the young children?

Last edited:
Reactions: CWH
Hello guys, thank you for this forum. I am so sad I only discovered this forum in this stage. Here is our complicated story:
My husband won the 2014 DV lottery, but his number was only current in August AF6****. We have 4 children, the oldest turned 21 on June 2014. You can imagine the stress. I am in an F1 visa and my husband and the other three children(15, 12 and 10 yr old) on F2. The oldest was on F2 until she started college; she became an F1 holder. Long story short, her scholarship was from our country, but because of a war there, her scholarship stopped for no reason, but the War. Her school visa adviser, which is at the same time my adviser(we go to the same school) suggested that we apply for an F2 visa on February. We received a letter from the USCIS on May 2014 asking for more evidence and suggesting the change of the application from F2 to B2 before her birthday on June. We sought an attorney's help and we sent all the requirements.
Last Sunday September 7th, her online status changed to approved and we received the approval notice 2 days later on 9/9/14. The approval is only from 9/3/2014 to 10/14/2014. It also has a new I-94 number at the end of the page.

We went to an info pass on July to ask if we can file on July since the VB already has announced August CN. The officer said wait until August to file. We filed on August 2nd. and it was received on the 5th. We had the finger print done on September 2nd after we received the appointment notice on August 26th.

On Monday 9/8/2014 my husband received a phone call from a USCIS officer to inform us with the appointment on this Monday 9/15/2014. She(the officer) sent the appointment on a word document attached to an email to my husband after her phone call. The document listed all of our names on one page. We reviewed all the documents and ready for the appointment, but the stress level is on the highest! We're extremely worried about our daughter's application. Any advise? Will they interview all of us together or one by one? What about the young children?

Oh dear! If only you knew if this place sooner, you of course would have been able to file in June as a matter of fact. But that doesn't really matter now.

So after reading your case, the first thing I did was to try and find out if the CSPA applies to your daughter. Good news, it does, her age is frozen at 20 years and 7 months which means she still eligible to claim derivative status. Also based in your narration you took adequate steps to ensure she never went out of status.

Another good news is that it seems like your IO has a good understanding of the DV process which is why they made the phone call. The interview will most likely be together, it usually is. Make sure you take ALL the documents you need to support your case, especially your daughter's documents - school records, immigration records, payment records, etc. Also document all the steps taken, I would suggest making an excel spreadsheet, and take this with your. Have your daughter go over it, memorize it if possible and let her keep a copy, just in case they decide to interview her separately.

Overall, I think you will be fine. Good luck with the interview tomorrow.

Mom has said it all, but I just wanted to add my best wishes and good luck...

Thank you for the good news and for your advise ! This is very encouraging:)

One other thing you should do before Monday is to familiarize yourself with the CSPA. I think USCIS is a lot more familiar about CSPA, still you want to be prepared to argue your case should the need arise:

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gre...otection-act/child-status-protection-act-cspa

Also do the CSPA calculation yourself and print out the result to take along for the interview. Below are two different calculators you can use to make it easier for yourself:

http://www.immihelp.com/immigrant-visa/cspa-calculator/

http://cspasolution.com/

Priority / Petition filing date: Oct 1 2012
Approval / Petition Approval date: May 1 2013
VB / Priority Current date: August 1 2014

One other thing you should do before Monday is to familiarize yourself with the CSPA. I think USCIS is a lot more familiar about CSPA, still you want to be prepared to argue your case should the need arise:

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gre...otection-act/child-status-protection-act-cspa

Also do the CSPA calculation yourself and print out the result to take along for the interview. Below are two different calculators you can use to make it easier for yourself:

http://www.immihelp.com/immigrant-visa/cspa-calculator/

http://cspasolution.com/

VB / Priority date: August 1 2014
Thank you! This calculation method is completely new for me, the only thing I know is the 242 days from the following article (Page 6)
http://www.wolfsdorf.com/articles/DV_Article_2004-05.pdf

Another question please, are these two dates fixed for all the 2014 DV winners?

Another question please, are these two dates fixed for all the 2014 DV winners?

Yes those 2 dates are fixed for all DV 2014 selectees.

Yeah that wolfsdorf article is a great one. I just prefer the easier method of using a calculator and not bothering my poor brain by adding and subtracting the old school way ;)
You are absolutely right, it is only that I didn't know about the existence of those calculators, even if I knew I wouldn't be able to know the Priority/date and the approval date. I am totally illiterate when it comes to these issues:)

You are absolutely right, it is only that I didn't know about the existence of those calculators, even if I knew I wouldn't be able to know the Priority/date and the approval date. I am totally illiterate when it comes to these issues:)

I think you're picking up real fast :)

DV usually get 211 or 212 days extra on to of the child's birthday, so you are fine. I would recommend printing something to take on the very slight chance the IO is not too aware of the CS PA rukes (although they should be aware).

Uff is getting hot on the forum! :D
I am reading GC note, it says to "filling out taxes with IRS" do I need to apply somewhere for this number? Where and how? Or ssn is enough?