• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

How does your congrassperson response to you?? Mine seems doesn't work...
It looks hopeless again...

I hand delivered the letter on Monday then followed up by phone today. On the phone it was clear that not much had happened, but they asked for some documents by email. I considered that a better sign, so I am hopeful the will do something this week.

By the way Andy, I think you need to push for an August interview if possible. You may not have seen but some people are already reporting various indications that the visas are in short supply (mainly EU, but probably other regions). Indeed, EUCN has today been put on AP at the end of a successful interview in Asia where his AP paperwork says he is waiting for visa availability. A guy from Italy has today been told his Aug 27th CP interview may not have a visa for his new bride, and someone in Fiji was granted two visas after rescheduling saying they got "the last two EU visas". So, not trying to scare YOU but it is important that you get the point across that their September interview plan is not acceptable.

I don't have the SF FO phone number, but I have today phoned my congressman to follow up and also spoke to DOS and KCC. So, I'm pushing, and that might help you too....

simon, which congressmen did you talk to? from house of rep or from senate? did it matter which congressmen you talked to?

Hi Sm1mom and Simon,
I would really appreciate it if you give me your opinion regarding my case.
Actually, I'm worried about the fact that EU region is running out of visa. I had my interview August 4th and it went well. However, because my file was not sent from KCC at that time, the officer gave me a paper saying they can not make decision now and once they receive the file, they will send approval letter and the GC 1-2 weeks after that. At the end, he said if we do not hear anything from them by Sep 15th, I should make an infopass appointment because visa will not be available after Sep 30th. He did not mention anything about the visa availability. Yesterday, I called KCC and they told me they sent the file on August 4th. My plan was not to wait till Sep 15th and schedule an info pass appointment at end of August. Now, after I read your post, I'm getting worried. Should I schedule an earlier infopass in case I do not hear anything till end of next week?or should I get the congressman involved as he really helped to get the appointment so probably will he help this time too? What do you think guys?

Thank you

5 weeks is too long to wait. I would setup an info pass for a couple of weeks from now. As for the congressman, only involve his office if you think they can speed up the mail....

simon, which congressmen did you talk to? from house of rep or from senate? did it matter which congressmen you talked to?

Mine is Congressman Swalwell, but of course everyone should use their own according to their address.

Reactions: CWH
I hand delivered the letter on Monday then followed up by phone today. On the phone it was clear that not much had happened, but they asked for some documents by email. I considered that a better sign, so I am hopeful the will do something this week.

So, We don't have chance if they put our interview in Sep.?
I will go infopass tomorrow...
Just start feel sad again...
You have a good congressman...We don't
No ideas what I can do...my wife and baby start crying again...

So, We don't have chance if they put our interview in Sep.?
I will go infopass tomorrow...
Just start feel sad again...
You have a good congressman...We don't
No ideas what I can do...my wife and baby start crying again...

I still think early September will be ok, but better safe than sorry.

Mine is Congressman Swalwell, but of course everyone should use their own according to their address.
when i searched for congressmen for my location, thre are both congressmen from house of rep, and congressmen from senate. which one shoud be contacted in case for help? thanks!

when i searched for congressmen for my location, thre are both congressmen from house of rep, and congressmen from senate. which one shoud be contacted in case for help? thanks!

Start with your House representative. If you have to up it a notch then go to the Senator's office.

BTW, the House representative is your district's representative in the House. The Senator is the whole state's representative in the Senate. Each state may have multiple House reps depending on its population, but all states have 2 Senators. American Civics 101 :) A Senator is higher in rank.

Reactions: CWH
This is my first post here in this forum. I had already filed my application before seeing this forum and out of the frustration that usually follows the long waiting waiting and waiting I found this forum. But from my experience so far, I would advise @MK999 and every expectant permanent resident out there that there is no need to panic if you are already current up until August at least. The receipt of a case number almost certainly means there is a VISA number reserved for you and unless you screw up eventually, it is certain that you will get approved for your Green Card.

Here is my story........
I got my Green Card today (it was indeed Green :D:D:D:D) and validity date on it is from the date my adjustment of status package was received. I had my biometrics mid June and was waiting like every other person for the almighty interview letter (I eventually didn't get one, LOL). Then sometimes in July, I scheduled an infopass to my FO for ending of July. On getting there, the lady looked at my case and asked me if I was ready for an interview there and then. I was hesitant at first, thinking that I didn't have all the required documentation. I later grabbed the opportunity. I had my interview 30mins later and it was a short one just like every other person had confirmed here in this forum. And to cut the long story short, today I now have my green card.

Here is my "little understanding" of the entire AOS process (all due respect to @Sm1smom and @Britsimon).
1. Your file is sent to your FO after your data has been entered into the system (i.e. the moment you have a receipt number and you can track your application.)

2. Whether or not you have your biometrics taken, you are due for an interview after step 1. (this is because I was asked if I had taken my biometrics when I went for the interview)

3. If you have not taken your biometrics as at the time of your interview, this can be done for you at your FO.

4. Anytime you schedule an infopass appointment, prepare for it like you are preparing for your interview, go with all the supporting documents you have (you never know, you might have your interview that day, it happened to me).

5. For those who think VISAs get exhausted, VISAs don't get exhausted. I think there are Visas available for every number that ranked below the number given in the Visa bulletin. Here is why - I had a couple of infopass visits and from the conversation I had with the immigration officers I have come to this conclusion - Everyone who can do AOS will eventually get a Visa number (unless they screw up something before the sept 30 deadline).

Finally, I'd implore everyone to stay calm. Schedule an infopass ASAP try to see if you can get them to schedule you for interview. Ask questions about why your processing is being delayed etc...Good luck to you guys

Cheers everyone

Congrats for being Green. :)

As @Britsimon said, some of your comments are not completely accurate. Just to set the record straight and prevent any confusion in the future:

1. Your AOS package is sent to your FO office as soon as it is accepted. But when people talk here about whether their case was sent to their FO, they are talking about their DV entry file (which is different from the AOS package) that KCC has. The FO should place a request for that before the KCC can send your DV file.

2. Your Interview date does not necessarily have to be after Sept 1st, obviously.

3. Good info :)

4. Great advice

5. Again as @Britsimon said, they very well can run out of visas even for AOS cases. The very late AOS applicants in the past years have reported that their IO specifically said they have to check whether any visa remains for them.

Congrats again, and enjoy the new status :)

This is my first post here in this forum. I had already filed my application before seeing this forum and out of the frustration that usually follows the long waiting waiting and waiting I found this forum. But from my experience so far, I would advise @MK999 and every expectant permanent resident out there that there is no need to panic if you are already current up until August at least. The receipt of a case number almost certainly means there is a VISA number reserved for you and unless you screw up eventually, it is certain that you will get approved for your Green Card.

Here is my story........
I got my Green Card today (it was indeed Green :D:D:D:D) and validity date on it is from the date my adjustment of status package was received. I had my biometrics mid June and was waiting like every other person for the almighty interview letter (I eventually didn't get one, LOL). Then sometimes in July, I scheduled an infopass to my FO for ending of July. On getting there, the lady looked at my case and asked me if I was ready for an interview there and then. I was hesitant at first, thinking that I didn't have all the required documentation. I later grabbed the opportunity. I had my interview 30mins later and it was a short one just like every other person had confirmed here in this forum. And to cut the long story short, today I now have my green card.

Here is my "little understanding" of the entire AOS process (all due respect to @Sm1smom and @Britsimon).
1. Your file is sent to your FO after your data has been entered into the system (i.e. the moment you have a receipt number and you can track your application.)

2. Whether or not you have your biometrics taken, you are due for an interview after step 1. (this is because I was asked if I had taken my biometrics when I went for the interview)

3. If you have not taken your biometrics as at the time of your interview, this can be done for you at your FO.

4. Anytime you schedule an infopass appointment, prepare for it like you are preparing for your interview, go with all the supporting documents you have (you never know, you might have your interview that day, it happened to me).

5. For those who think VISAs get exhausted, VISAs don't get exhausted. I think there are Visas available for every number that ranked below the number given in the Visa bulletin. Here is why - I had a couple of infopass visits and from the conversation I had with the immigration officers I have come to this conclusion - Everyone who can do AOS will eventually get a Visa number (unless they screw up something before the sept 30 deadline).

Finally, I'd implore everyone to stay calm. Schedule an infopass ASAP try to see if you can get them to schedule you for interview. Ask questions about why your processing is being delayed etc...Good luck to you guys

Cheers everyone

First of all congratulations on becoming green. Enjoy your new status.

I must say though your understanding of the DV process is flawed. I know we're all trying to help (well almost very one is trying to), but we need to be very careful with that in order to not provide misleading information like. To start with receipt of ones AOS package is NOT a guarantee of visa availability!

AFAIK, there are 3 types of dates shown on GC. The first one is the applicant's DOB, next is the 'Card Expires' and the last one is the 'Resident Since'. Expiration date for DV based GC (like most others) is set at 10 years from the resident since date. And the resident since date is either set as the date of the interview, if your case is approved same day or the day the application is finally approved. If by "validity date" you're refering to the 'residence since' date, then I think your FO made a serious mistake on your GC if the residence since date correlates to when your package was actually accepted by the Chicago Lockbox. You couldn't have been a resident if you haven't been approved!

1. The file/AOS package is never sent directly from the Chicage Lockbox to the FO. The file goes from the lockbox to Nebraska Processing Center which is responsible for scheduling biometrics and processing EAD/AP cards (if those forms are included with the package) and forwarding the I-485 form to the applicable FO.

2. "Whether or not you have your biometrics taken, you are due for an interview after step 1" - I'm not even sure what you're talking about here, makes no sense!

3. Not all FOs are willing/open to conduct a bio at the time of your interview, so people shouldn't really rely on that.

4. Absolutely right!

5. Again, there's no guarantee! They can run out of visas before one's interview date. Visas are not reserved for AOS applicants, the IO requests for the visa after a successful interview. The only thing having a CN that falls below the posted VB number does is make it possible for an AOS applicant to send in their package and be processed/scheduled for an interview.

Hello,
I have applied after my wife was awarded a number, we applied in april, but it seems that we forgot the most important part which is the DV Fee of 330 per person.
We did the biometrics in June 4 and received already the work permit, 5 days ago received a call from local USCIS that KCC didnt have our payment, and they didnt sent the file for the interview.
The same day I paid the fee and send it next day to St Louis.
I will like to know if we are on time and if there is anything we can do to make the process faster to make sure that we are on time?
Can someone help me in the problem?

Many many thanks in advance!

Regards

Leandro

BIG mistake, you could have been interviewed by now. But not too bad yet, good thing your local office called to let you know why your case was being delayed.

Now the DV payment processing usually takes about 2-3 weeks, but you shouldn't seat back and wait for things to take their natural course. How did you mail in the payment? Do you have delivery confirmation? If you know when the payment was delivered, call KCC and let them know of this, and find out if they've sent your file to your FO. And if you don't know when the delivery was made, still call to confirm if they've received the payment or not and ask as to when your case file will be sent.

Hi Sm1mom and Simon,
I would really appreciate it if you give me your opinion regarding my case.
Actually, I'm worried about the fact that EU region is running out of visa. I had my interview August 4th and it went well. However, because my file was not sent from KCC at that time, the officer gave me a paper saying they can not make decision now and once they receive the file, they will send approval letter and the GC 1-2 weeks after that. At the end, he said if we do not hear anything from them by Sep 15th, I should make an infopass appointment because visa will not be available after Sep 30th. He did not mention anything about the visa availability. Yesterday, I called KCC and they told me they sent the file on August 4th. My plan was not to wait till Sep 15th and schedule an info pass appointment at end of August. Now, after I read your post, I'm getting worried. Should I schedule an earlier infopass in case I do not hear anything till end of next week?or should I get the congressman involved as he really helped to get the appointment so probably will he help this time too? What do you think guys?

Thank you

Since you have confirmation that KCC has sent your case file, schedule an earlier infopass, no need to wait until Sept 15th.

@Sm1smom ,

I reached out to KCC today and learned that the FO hasn't requested yet the DV file. I have been current since Aug 1st, completed biometric on the 1st as well and everything has been sent. Following your earlier advise I set an Info pass appointment. Knowing all this background noise of visas running out I wanted to ask what else I can do. Should I reach out to the house rep right now or play that card later in the game ?

@Sm1smom ,

I reached out to KCC today and learned that the FO hasn't requested yet the DV file. I have been current since Aug 1st, completed biometric on the 1st as well and everything has been sent. Following your earlier advise I set an Info pass appointment. Knowing all this background noise of visas running out I wanted to ask what else I can do. Should I reach out to the house rep right now or play that card later in the game ?

How far off is your infopass? I think you should do that first before escalating things to the next step.

BIG mistake, you could have been interviewed by now. But not too bad yet, good thing your local office called to let you know why your case was being delayed.

Now the DV payment processing usually takes about 2-3 weeks, but you shouldn't seat back and wait for things to take their natural course. How did you mail in the payment? Do you have delivery confirmation? If you know when the payment was delivered, call KCC and let them know of this, and find out if they've sent your file to your FO. And if you don't know when the delivery was made, still call to confirm if they've received the payment or not and ask as to when your case file will be sent.

What does FO means?
Can we expedite the process?
Is there anything we can do?

Are we on time to finish the whole process?