• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 - And off we go again!

DV 2014 will be my first time in the lottery,
I've always wanted to live in the US though!
May 1st seems like a very long time right now.

Good luck to all who entered.

Last name issue

Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you has had this dilemma: In my country we usually use two lastnames: one from father's side and one from mother's side. Our birth certificates show both lastnames, therefore our passports show both lastnames. But in the US they just use one. When I fill my application, what should I do? To fill the application with both lastnames? In my country we do not use that little dash they use in the US to join two lastnames! And then, if I am selected, and use both lastnames, then that means I need to check with both of them?
Please tell me, has anyone used two lastnames in their application? Thank you guys and good luck to everyone!

hi everyone

I also registerd for this year, i hope to have better luck than previous year :p, does anyone knows if the 22 october redraw is still up ? or does it got canceled ?

Bye and sorry for my poor english.

Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you has had this dilemma: In my country we usually use two lastnames: one from father's side and one from mother's side. Our birth certificates show both lastnames, therefore our passports show both lastnames. But in the US they just use one. When I fill my application, what should I do? To fill the application with both lastnames? In my country we do not use that little dash they use in the US to join two lastnames! And then, if I am selected, and use both lastnames, then that means I need to check with both of them?
Please tell me, has anyone used two lastnames in their application? Thank you guys and good luck to everyone!

I think it would be best if you use the name that appears on your birth certificate / passport. It could cause you some issues at the interview stage if you left out one of your surnames.

Hi, everyone! I submitted my application for this year's green card lottery. What does it mean to have a lower confirmation number? Is this going to increase the chances of accelerating the whole process in case I get selected? My confirmation number is: 20141NP19VWXXXXX.

The confirmation number received after submitting the application has no impact on the selection process or the entire process itself. The number is only good for checking the result once they are released in May, which is why it's a good idea to ensure it is safely kept till the end of the applicable DV fiscal year.

The other 'lower confirmation number' that I think you're wondering about is the one listed on the notification letters that is sent out to selectees only. That's the one that kind of 'speeds up the whole process'.

Good luck with your selection.

Hi, everyone! I submitted my application for this year's green card lottery. What does it mean to have a lower confirmation number? Is this going to increase the chances of accelerating the whole process in case I get selected? My confirmation number is: 20141NP19VWXXXXX.

The confirmation number received after submitting the application has no impact on the selection process or the entire process itself. The number is only good for checking the result once they are released in May, which is why it's a good idea to ensure it is safely kept till the end of the applicable DV fiscal year.

The other 'lower confirmation number' that I think you're wondering about is the one listed on the notification letters that is sent out to selectees only. That's the one that kind of 'speeds up the whole process'.

Good luck with your selection.

Thanks for the response and thanks for the good luck. :)

Family/surname dilemma.

I think it would be best if you use the name that appears on your birth certificate / passport. It could cause you some issues at the interview stage if you left out one of your surnames.

Gruch,

Thanks a lot, you encouraged me to what I also think is the right thing to do. I did it as you said!

Hi, I am new. I have been reading this forum since earlier this year and am now able to join. I am hoping DV2014 brings great opportunity. Anyway, how long until we know how many people entered this year?

2014 Entrant Status Check

DV-2014 entrants may enter their confirmation information through the link below starting at noon (EDT) on May 1, 2013. The DV-2014 registration period was from October 2, 2012, until November 3, 2012. DV-2014 entrants should keep their confirmation number until at least June 30, 2014. Additional entries may be selected in October 2013.

Oh, is that in response to my question? I was asking how long until we know how many people entered, not winners. But seems like this October draw is going to be a regular thing.

Hi,

How can i know the chances per country to be selected ? any website ?
October redraw is annoying lots of stress for really low chances of being selected, i would prefer one draw per year than their new system

Your photo won't get you disqualified as long as it satisfies the requirements here:
https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/photo.aspx

The cropper is just a tool to help you meet the required standards; use of the cropper is not required.

Hi Hexa,
I noticed that you are a Dv2013 winner and so I have a question regarding Dv photo requirement.When you submitted photo for dv2013 have you checked the proportion of face to the photo?I mean to say that the following requirement which they ask for dv photo:

1)The head height or facial region size (measured from the top of the head, including the hair, to the bottom of the chin) must be between 50 percent and 69 percent of the image's total height. The eye height (measured from the bottom of the image to the level of the eyes) should be between 56 percent and 69 percent of the image's height.

If NO than tell me how you resize and checked the photo?

Thanks