• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 Program-Online Registration October 4 - NOV 2ND, 2011.

I would have thought that if your photo is validated by the photo checker then it should be honoured, unless it is a duplicate or has a problem which was specifically stated not to do in the guidelines.

the photo validator only check the picture size & pixel, nothing more... you can put a horse picture, if the size is correct, it will be validate

& dos said they might add some selected not a complete start over... so my guess is : too many disqualification

What do you guys make of this?

I was browsing on the Travel.state.gov website under the Diversity Visa link:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html

The announcement itself says:

DV 2013 Entrants: Please keep your confirmation number until at least September 2013, even if you are not selected on May 1, 2012. The Department of State may select more DV 2013 entries on October 1, 2012.

This means that they will release another batch of winners for DV 2013 in October, thats very strange so does this mean DV 2013 entrants might have double the chance of winning?

What a shocking turn of events! Who expected a possible 2nd chance?

However, while it is not concrete, it is likely that it will happen. As for the reason this is the case, we can only speculate as this point. Therefore, I am speculating that the DoS is far from issuing the mandated amount of visas (50,000) for the fiscal year (DV-2012). No doubt this will cause them to lose revenue from the DV fees and that is why another selection will take place to fill the short fall. Or it's possible that they have revamped their computer software (namely the facial recognition) to efficiently catch all duplicate entries and bad photos to which thousands or even millions of these were found. Last but not least, they may give some of the May 1st, 2012 winners an opportunity to exhaust the visas. If this still doesn't happen, more persons will be selected on October 1st? :confused::confused:

However, while it is not concrete, it is likely that it will happen. As for the reason this is the case, we can only speculate as this point. Therefore, I am speculating that the DoS is far from issuing the mandated amount of visas (50,000) for the fiscal year (DV-2012). No doubt this will cause them to lose revenue from the DV fees and that is why another selection will take place to fill the short fall. Or it's possible that they have revamped their computer software (namely the facial recognition) to efficiently catch all duplicate entries and bad photos to which thousands or even millions of these were found. Last but not least, they may give some of the May 1st, 2012 winners an opportunity to exhaust the visas. If this still doesn't happen, more persons will be selected on October 1st? :confused::confused:

Really nice chance for the 2013 entrants. very good. Good Luck to all entrants in next 3 days!!!!

I would have thought that if your photo is validated by the photo checker then it should be honoured, unless it is a duplicate or has a problem which was specifically stated not to do in the guidelines. It would be unfair to say it has passed, and then be rejected later, because if you are like me, "fiddle" around with the photo, or take another one until it is approved. I would rather it kept getting rejected till I got it absolutely right.

My photo was validated by photo checker and accepted as well for the DV 2013 entry.I do hope its all well. In fact I scanned a photo mine and submitted by editing it in paint.But my both shoulders are not in focus and my head is big.(I am feeling like that)

1-I scanned a passport size photo(*.JPeg)
2-Opened it in paint.
3-Ctrl+A > Ctrl+X >Image attributes>Width 600px>Height 600px
4-Ctrl +V and then drag from one corner of the image to fit in 600 x 600 Size.
5-Ctrl+S and submitted it for DV 2013 entry.Photo Checker validated it.

I think DOS should notify if someone's entry is not selected because of wrong photo spec by clearly stating that ones entry is rejected because of wrong photo spec.Just an opinion.
In the end I will say that We all live by hopes :)

now that its so around the corner all my excitement's built over the months' gone burst...even if i get selected on tues, other things have cropped up so i guess i might not be pursuin it.wish everyone the best of luck though

they may give some of the May 1st, 2012 winners an opportunity to exhaust the visas. If this still doesn't happen, more persons will be selected on October 1st? :confused::confused:

May 1st 2012 is over. they said they may add up some winners not give may 1st 2012 a chance

My photo was validated by photo checker and accepted as well for the DV 2013 entry.I do hope its all well. In fact I scanned a photo mine and submitted by editing it in paint.But my both shoulders are not in focus and my head is big.(I am feeling like that)

1-I scanned a passport size photo(*.JPeg)
2-Opened it in paint.
3-Ctrl+A > Ctrl+X >Image attributes>Width 600px>Height 600px
4-Ctrl +V and then drag from one corner of the image to fit in 600 x 600 Size.
5-Ctrl+S and submitted it for DV 2013 entry.Photo Checker validated it.

I think DOS should notify if someone's entry is not selected because of wrong photo spec by clearly stating that ones entry is rejected because of wrong photo spec.Just an opinion.
In the end I will say that We all live by hopes :)

Dos would never notify someone because of the photo... too much task.
You edited your picture with paint... That can be trouble because we can see when a picture is edited & DOS clearely said the picure should not be edited.

What you've done with pain, I did the samething last year & you could see the picture was wrong (streached & not clear enough because when you enlarge the picture, you also enlarge the pixel...)

if they do have the 2nd draw on 1st Oct how will they ensure that there are no more than 7% selected from each country?

May 1st 2012 is over. they said they may add up some winners not give may 1st 2012 a chance[/QUOTE

They may select from this group? anything is possible.....only speculating.

I'm also guessing that the DoS knows at this point that all of the visas won't be exhausted before the fiscal year ends because they already have a count of how many persons submitted their forms for further processing. That is why they will do another draw. The question is: why have the entrants wait for another 5 months and not 2 months like last year after the fiasco?:confused::confused:

if they do have the 2nd draw on 1st Oct how will they ensure that there are no more than 7% selected from each country?

They may have a formula in place to allot the required percentage of selectees for each country...no doubt about that....

May 1st 2012 is over. they said they may add up some winners not give may 1st 2012 a chance[/QUOTE

They may select from this group? anything is possible.....only speculating.

I'm also guessing that the DoS knows at this point that all of the visas won't be exhausted before the fiscal year ends because they already have a count of how many persons submitted their forms for further processing. That is why they will do another draw. The question is: why have the entrants wait for another 5 months and not 2 months like last year after the fiasco?:confused::confused:

they may be waiting to see how much will process the application because many people don't apply after they win..., so they might be waiting to see how many will apply & how many won't even meet the requirements.
& they said DV 2013 entrants to keep their number not DV 2012 entrants so may 1st 2012 is over

they may be waiting to see how much will process the application because many people don't apply after they win..., so they might be waiting to see how many will apply & how many won't even meet the requirements.
& they said DV 2013 entrants to keep their number not DV 2012 entrants so may 1st 2012 is over

They really shouldn't wait to see how many persons will apply after they win because it would be somewhat unfair to the October winners (backups):confused: It's so hard to figure out what is really going on. But I do know that an additional 5 months will be added to 9 months we have already been waiting (if not selected on May 1st)....Again, why 5 months? It only took them 2 months to do the redraw in July.....

They really shouldn't wait to see how many persons will apply after they win because it would be somewhat unfair to the October winners (backups):confused: It's so hard to figure out what is really going on. But I do know that an additional 5 months will be added to 9 months we have already been waiting (if not selected on May 1st)....Again, why 5 months? It only took them 2 months to do the redraw in July.....

the redraw was a rush, an emergency. this year they don't have an emergency.

I just don't know what's going on... remember last year they used a new software to draw, this year they may have put in place a new computer/software to check pictures, catch fraudulent entries... It's purely speculation but my only explanaition is that they found too many fraudulent & illegitimate entries (duplicate, pictures...) & could end up with too few selected... So they may be waiting to see how many will apply & who will meet the requirement thus selecting more on october...

Let say after catching all illegitimate entries they end up with 60k... (not impossible, once they ended up with 80k-90k) they know that each year they never issue every visa avaiable, so 60k is way too few so they wait to see who can get the visa & depending on the result, select like 50-60k more...
But keep in mind that they won't increase the visas avaiable.

again speculation but :
new fraud detector technic
new picture detector (because the photo validator only check the picture size & pixels, not the picture contents)

results : too many disqualified

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the DoS may have reserved the 22,000 visas for the purpose of the lawsuit. If the appeal is lost by the plaintiffs, they will make new selection on October 1st, 2012. If they win, the 22,000 maybe added with the DV-2013 winners (that is why the DoS wrote "MAYBE" they will select more people)? If either is true, what is the reason to wait until October? Why not to make the new selection immediately in May or so?

Maybe doing 2 draws will minimize administrative work for KCC since May 1 fiasco may have caused a backlog. They have to process the remaining DV 2012 selectees in June since all regions are current. That's a lot of work. So 50,000 may be selected on May 1st and 50,000 on Oct 1st....Only speculating...

Hope there isn't another computer glitch....

Any other thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the DoS may have reserved the 22,000 visas for the purpose of the lawsuit. If the appeal is lost by the plaintiffs, they will make new selection on October 1st, 2012. If they win, the 22,000 maybe added with the DV-2013 winners (that is why the DoS wrote "MAYBE" they will select more people)? If either is true, what is the reason to wait until October? Why not to make the new selection immediately in May or so?

Maybe doing 2 draws will minimize administrative work for KCC since May 1 fiasco may have caused a backlog. They have to process the remaining DV 2012 selectees in June since all regions are current. That's a lot of work. So 50,000 may be selected on May 1st and 50,000 on Oct 1st....Only speculating...

Hope there isn't another computer glitch....

Any other thoughts on this?

they didn't reserve some visa for the lawsuit, & they can't put some 2012 visas back for the fiscal year 2013, once a visa remain after september 30th, it is "lost".

Thoses who process the immigration application & those who proceed the DV selection are not the same peoples, the immigration goes to the USCIS, they proceed every petitions because once you won the lottery, you are directed to the uscis

I'm not sure it's about DV-2012

Though as an ex-"winner" I hope to be wrong and it IS related after all...

An interesting question is why did the message state "Please keep your confirmation number until at least September 2013"? Why until Sep. 2013?? Even if there will another draw whose results will come out on Oct. 2012, why keep the confirmation until nearly a year later?

Does it mean that DOS has turned the lottery into a modular, multi-time draw, which adjusts itself acording to the number of applicants? Meaning if they didn't have enough people who sent in their forms, they'll draw again in Oct. And if even by then they won't have enough applicants they may draw again, so all 50,000 visas will be used?

In any case, to everybody in the forum - GOOD LUCK in the lottery!!!:D But it's important not to get our hopes too high, since most of us probably won't win (statistically speaking). It's very important to have a plan B (and C). I have mine lined up: Last month USCIS approved my change of status (to H-1B visa), so soon I'm moving to California and my university will start the GC process for me!

Good luck to everyone in the house!!!

The October draw has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the 2012 Fiscal year! The October draw has been flagged as a possibility, in case they neeed more selectees for 2013. It may not even happen.

Why do they need more selectees for 2013? - because - judging by the "Visa Bulletin" and all CN current in June - it looks like not all the DV2012 winners have proceeded with their win, or have been disqualified. This means that there will be many unused visas at the end of 2012. They cannot do another draw this year because everyone has discarded their confirmation numbers. Therefore these 2012 visas will be lost. They cannot be carried over into 2013.

A lot of DV visa numbers will get thrown away this year - just another thing to add to the 2012 list of stuff ups? DOS do not want to be in this position next year.

But DOS do have another list they can call on to use up the 2012 visas! :D

(I will not give up till September 30th.)

The DoS may increase the initial selectees to ensure that all the visas are exhausted. For e.g, rather than selecting 100,000 they may select 150,000. They will in turn see how many forms are submitted between May 1st-October 1st (which is the start of FY-DV-2013) and if the number is not to their satisfaction, I guess it will make sense to make another selection or release the backup winners on October 1.

Anyways, I'm done with speculating. Only DoS knows what's going on. Let's cross that bridge on Oct. 1 if necessary....

The count down is really on....3 more days until May 1st......:cool:

If I were to hazard a guess as to why this possible multiple draw situation occurred, I would lean towards it having something to do with the “DV-2012 fiasco”.

If the court rules in favour of the applicants on the issue of reinstatement and the DoS made no preparation for such a possibility, they would be in an even bigger mess, wouldn’t they?

They could very well have reserved the previous 22,000 selectee cases in anticipation of a request to re-instate the 1st May selectees from the previous year. The 30th September is not an absolute deadline to have a visa issued by. See PAUNESCU v. I.N.S. 76 F.Supp.2d 896 (1999). Diversity Visas can be issued after the end of the fiscal year if there is a valid reason, and should a court order compel it (appeals notwithstanding).

Their solution may be to wait and observe the outcome of the litigation, and if necessary hold two draws in the next fiscal year depending on the outcome.

Alternatively as some have said, maybe the random computer picked out a disproportionate percentage of applicants that after closer inspection were not suitable for further processing for whatever reason. If that is the case, they waited a heck of a long time to announce it to the public.

A second lottery draw is an unheard of reaction to the possibility of having too few people continue their cases. I think it would be simpler to remove the undesirable entries, and redraw from the existing pool in the case of bad entries, or if there may be too few people continuing their cases, simply pick a greater amount of (e.g. 150,000) initial selectees from the millions of applicants worldwide. At worst some people would be selected with high case numbers, but there would be no short fall; and everyone should know that getting selected does not necessarily equal getting a visa.

What a mess, either way. I wish we had more information to go on.