• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 Program-Online Registration October 4 - NOV 2ND, 2011.

The section of harlem is of crimes.Yes west Bklyn is ok than east Bklyn but BX i still think its ok interms of cheap rent even if you talk of Ghetto which is true but not all part of BX,pelhem bay and parkchester all ok for BX.West Queens and staten island still good.But in all of this Bklyn and harlem are of more crimes.

Harlem is not what it use to be, south harlem is very safe, past 125th road can be tricky but as long as you are not involve in gang, drug ect, you are very safe in new york

I've been in bushwick for a week & plain dirty... cheap places in new york are dirty area, bronx is just gheto... I'd prefer south harlem, west queens, west brooklyn, & staten island

Harlem is not what it use to be, south harlem is very safe, past 125th road can be tricky but as long as you are not involve in gang, drug ect, you are very safe in new york

Manhattan and staten island are ok.

I was just wondering (while I am sitting doing an essay and thinking of the lottery instead!), with regard to the forms you fill in after you are selected in May, do you have to wait for new ones to be posted on line? I know that you can download (I'm pretty sure) the blank forms now, so being the organised person that I am :) I thought it might be a good idea to fill them in now. Then, if we get lucky, we can post them off as quickly as possible.

:)

Q

I was just wondering (while I am sitting doing an essay and thinking of the lottery instead!), with regard to the forms you fill in after you are selected in May, do you have to wait for new ones to be posted on line? I know that you can download (I'm pretty sure) the blank forms now, so being the organised person that I am :) I thought it might be a good idea to fill them in now. Then, if we get lucky, we can post them off as quickly as possible.

Q
when you get selected, you have a link that direct you to the form so no need to fill the form yet, sometimes small changes can be made. just make sure you have all of your papers ready

recents picture, criminal record (although you don't need it right now, it's good to have it ready & medical appointement

when you get selected, you have a link that direct you to the form so no need to fill the form yet, sometimes small changes can be made. just make sure you have all of your papers ready

recents picture, criminal record (although you don't need it right now, it's good to have it ready & medical appointement

I have collected all our documents (marriage, education etc), but I will wait on the police and medical as I believe they need to be within 6 months of interview so I will wait on that one if we get a number. I might download the current forms, even though they may change, so at least we have filled in everything and then just use that for information to refill in the new ones. We have a lot to fill in as there have been many trips in and out of the States, plus addresses and employers etc. This information takes time to get right.

I love my optimism! I act like I have already got a number lol

Thank you for your input by the way :)

Q

I have collected all our documents (marriage, education etc), but I will wait on the police and medical as I believe they need to be within 6 months of interview so I will wait on that one if we get a number. I might download the current forms, even though they may change, so at least we have filled in everything and then just use that for information to refill in the new ones. We have a lot to fill in as there have been many trips in and out of the States, plus addresses and employers etc. This information takes time to get right.

I love my optimism! I act like I have already got a number lol

Thank you for your input by the way :)

Q

I know what you mean, Q. I act like I'm preparing for move too. Although I don't have the forms ready now, because in case they change them I don't want to risk to make a mistake by sending the old ones instead, which might make things complicated more than necessary for me :) But hey, that's just me. I have a travel organizer and keep the documents and other stuff from my last US visit in it. Like Enterprise car rental card, SSN card , international driver's license, passport obviously. Even a US SIM card I ordered from eBay for a dollar or so and never used it yet, haha. Funny maybe, but I like to take a glance on the organizer from time to time and think I'm preparing.

Talking about preparation - in case anyone needs a US PO Box for the actual green card, I did a quick research and found that USPS fees for a PO BOX in New York starts at around $20/three months. That's just USPS and I didn't look for other services as I would probably use their service. I cannot post links yet, but you can copy and paste poboxes.usps.com to your web browser and check the rates for the area of your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean, Q. I act like I'm preparing for move too. Although I don't have the forms ready now, because in case they change them I don't want to risk to make a mistake by sending the old ones instead, which might make things complicated more than necessary for me :) But hey, that's just me. I have a travel organizer and keep the documents and other stuff from my last US visit in it. Like Enterprise car rental card, SSN card , international driver's license, passport obviously. Even a US SIM card I ordered from eBay for a dollar or so and never used it yet, haha. Funny maybe, but I like to take a glance on the organizer from time to time and think I'm preparing.

Talking about preparation - in case anyone needs a US PO Box for the actual green card, I did a quick research and found that USPS fees for a PO BOX in New York starts at around $20/three months. That's just USPS and I didn't look for other services as I would probably use their service. I cannot post links yet, but you can copy and paste poboxes.usps.com to your web browser and check the rates for the area of your choice.

haha, Since I was a former selectee, I can tell you that you don't need to be that cautious, the form can be filled within 5 minutes, realy simple. For a PO box, here in Brockton (bostorn suburb) it is $60 for 6 months.
I think I'm gonna reorder a police criminal record because mine is allready 2 months old & by the time I ge to the interview, it wight be more than 6 months old... Lukily France is the only place I spent more than 6 months so I only need a criminal record from there

Q

@Qewty,why take into rush to fill a second eDV entry form when you have not been selected?A link is always there to follow, www.dvselectee.state.gov where you you have DS-230 form part one and two.

haha, Since I was a former selectee, I can tell you that you don't need to be that cautious, the form can be filled within 5 minutes, realy simple. For a PO box, here in Brockton (bostorn suburb) it is $60 for 6 months.
I think I'm gonna reorder a police criminal record because mine is allready 2 months old & by the time I ge to the interview, it wight be more than 6 months old... Lukily France is the only place I spent more than 6 months so I only need a criminal record from there

jayo2k, I think it is reasonable to expect the possibility that the forms could be changed as this is stuff that happens from time to time when dealing with bureaucracy. I don't find it overly cautious. Anyway, the forms being simple will make things easier when filling them out when it's necessary. I am also lucky to only need police records from my country.

PO Boxes

Hi
Just keen to find out if the Embassy accepts US PO Boxes as an address to receive your green card with???
Will that not give problems at the interview??
And how reliable is the PO box facility. Can you be assured to get your Green Card?

I plan to fill in the current forms and then use that information to fill in the new ones if I am selected.

And why do it when I have not been selected yet? Because I want everything prepared just in case. As I said, there are many dates of entry into the States and work in the States as well, so we have a lot of information to get correct. I don't want to be worrying it is not correct if we are selected, so better to prepare now. As we have had many interactions regarding visas with the US from both here and Canada, we prefer all our information ready and 100% accurate.

Q

Hi
Just keen to find out if the Embassy accepts US PO Boxes as an address to receive your green card with???
And how reliable is the PO box facility. Can you be assured to get your Green Card?

PO boxes are reliable, but if I remember correctly, you need to have a real adress not a PO boxes.
Many peoples prefer using PO boxes when it comes to important documents such as SSN card, federal taxes & stuff when they live in appartement complexes to prevent loss & steal...

Hi

Hi Verdite, I am not speaking from my own experience here, but there are several threads on this forum where people stated they used their PO Box to receive the Green Card.

Hi Verdite, I am not speaking from my own experience here, but there are several threads on this forum where people stated they used their PO Box to receive the Green Card.
If selected, I will simply call the KCC, i know P.O boxes are used a lot in usa & are very secure

If selected, I will simply call the KCC, i know P.O boxes are used a lot in usa & are very secure

@Jayo2k,yes P.O Boxes are used in USA, fast and secure but then IMO apartment/residential address is still better to use in the case of receiving your GC for the first time in the USA.Anyway its a personal choice to choose from.

@Jayo2k,yes P.O Boxes are used in USA, fast and secure but then IMO apartment/residential address is still better to use in the case of receiving your GC for the first time in the USA.Anyway its a personal choice to choose from.

yes, depending on the situation (weither we are in Montreal or not) we will chose between a P.o box & a friend's adress

yes, depending on the situation (weither we are in Montreal or not) we will chose between a P.o box & a friend's adress

Guys am still having this believe that May 1st results might still be a shocking one.But whatever the outcome of May 1st am still going to move on with my life.

Guys am still having this believe that May 1st results might still be a shocking one.But whatever the outcome of May 1st am still going to move on with my life.
well, I hope we get selected, best luck for you too.. At first, I wanted to leave the USA for Canada even if I win but I realized as time passing by that deep down inside me, I'd still prefer usa over Canada so now i realy want to have it... The drawing has allready taken place, i hope i am among the selectees
27 days to go or 3 weeks

well, I hope we get selected, best luck for you too.. At first, I wanted to leave the USA for Canada even if I win but I realized as time passing by that deep down inside me, I'd still prefer usa over Canada so now i realy want to have it... The drawing has allready taken place, i hope i am among the selectees
27 days to go or 3 weeks

@Jayo2k,like always say,we hope for the best.You can still get more info on immigration issues on www.visajourney.com where you get more interract with visa issues.Sign up for there visa forum.