• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

Hallo Dubai-b. Thanks very very much for the information. I think I want a place like that. I really do not like big cities. I really hope that we will be able to settle there. I will keep you updated.

Thanks once again.

Ronnyblessed

Oh really! Washington state captured my heart after i visited a friend there. The state is commonly referred to as the EVERGREEN State and its neighbors Canada. Microsoft, Boeing and Sea port are some of the biggest industries there. Having lived in this place where we get rains after few years, i couldn't help but admire the greenery and the cool, fresh air around Seattle. Sometimes the rains can be little bit stretched if you ask most guys but for me i want to cool down after years of summer seasons.
Family wise, its a good place to raise a young family in regards to school and life is not that expensive. There is a large community of Kenyans based there, and going by the trend its growing day by day, though i was taken aback by the average age. I think most young guys prefer the cities.
Housing is affordable with rates as per your requirement.
Another baffling thing is most wazees are pastors and evangelists from nyumbani.

Hello solwach,
Thanks for these answers; most of us really need to change our addresses, I now realize that. It's good to know that we can do this at POE. I guess we can also do this when we go for interviews, not so?
I can also see that we are not able to start working within the first month of our arrival within the US; so, what are you doing during this time?
But I (and maybe some other Ugandans) need to know something more about NSSF; would they accept to wire our savings to a foreign account or must it be a Ugandan account? And would they accept a third party to follow up someone's case, even if that third party is not a next of kin?
Thanks.

Yes NSSF can send the money to any account you give them, either Uganda or USA, what ever you choose, and yes a third party can follow up your paper work after u leave Uganda. You must go and do finger printing at NSSF and fill in the forms too then your clam will be approved.

hi everyone, my advice to you who are yet to come to the USA is that you should be very aggressive to want to know places or even use public transport to go places, don't expect your host to always take you places. the sooner you get the SSN the better.

Well, the fact of the matter is there are no guarantees in life. yes, it's possible to continue along your current line of employment, but it's most likely not going to be automatic. It may take a while to get back along that line, you may have to apply your current skills to some other form of employment if you do not wish to become a burden/charge on your hosts.

If you're in the nursing profession and are desirous of continuing along that line, you will no doubt have to enroll an in academic institution to ensure that your training is at par within that profession, and yes, you will pay tuition and other fees for that. (Only Elementary, Junior High and High Schools are tuition free). You will not likely get employed as a nurse based on your current education and experience. Doctors and a couple of other professions go through the same process, I believe.

Doing odd jobs in order to make ends meet while trying to re-establish yourself is not a bad way to start in my opinion. (Again, this is my personal opinion). Oh yes, I flipped burgers :D when I initially moved to Europe to get started. I also worked as a Telemarketer when I first arrived in North America. I hated both jobs with a passion, but they paid my bills and enabled me to get started. They enabled me to independently establish myself (I didn't have any host family/friends to stay with). I know of an engineer that worked as a discount stores sales person (don't be deceived by the fancy title, it was a door to door sales job :eek:), pilots who worked as cab drivers and so on when they first arrived and are at the top of their original professions as of today.

Hi Sm1smom..your great with your advise..liked the engineering bit...what about continuing with graduate program..understand that there is a grant for GC guys..advice?

Hi Sm1smom..your great with your advise..liked the engineering bit...what about continuing with graduate program..understand that there is a grant for GC guys..advice?

Yes, financial aids such as grants and loans may be available for grad students. Usually government grants are given to students with need, such as having a low household income. However, government grants require students to maintain a specific GPA throughout their academic career in order to continue to receive aid. Some students may receive scholarships in addition to grants and loans. You may want to go through the following links/articles for additional information:

5 Strategies to Pay for Graduate School:

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-graduate-schools/paying/articles/2013/03/12/use-these-5-strategies-to-pay-for-graduate-school

Financial Aid for Graduates and Professional Degree Students:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/graduate-professional-funding-info.pdf

Yes, financial aids such as grants and loans may be available for grad students. Usually government grants are given to students with need, such as having a low household income. However, government grants require students to maintain a specific GPA throughout their academic career in order to continue to receive aid. Some students may receive scholarships in addition to grants and loans. You may want to go through the following links/articles for additional information:

5 Strategies to Pay for Graduate School:

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-graduate-schools/paying/articles/2013/03/12/use-these-5-strategies-to-pay-for-graduate-school

Financial Aid for Graduates and Professional Degree Students:

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/graduate-professional-funding-info.pdf

hi sm1smom...thanks a lot...you are really a savant in this area..cheers

Hi guys...seen my number current for November but yet to receive 2NL...what does this mean?can I be interviewed in Dec?

Ya, people are skeptical about signing unless they really trust you so much. However, if they can't sign, let them write a letter to the Embassy confirming that they will host you in the US and take care of your bills. I know this can work coz my brother had a letter and it was enough. If your personnal account is red, you can get from a friend or family member together with a covering letter saying for example, they will cover your travel costs and visa application process etc.
AOS is good but there are several alternatives which also work eg land title from your parents or any relative/friend, bank statements from any close person to you. Always remember to have a covering letter from that person. You will be good to go.

hi guys..very interesting topic..what address is used when sending the letter to embassy?

I think you'll get an email in a week or so if they completed processing of your documents. They schedule interviews once in a month just after the VB is out.

Hi guys...seen my number current for November but yet to receive 2NL...what does this mean?can I be interviewed in Dec?

Well said Wanjeri. You have been loyal to the forum as always. This forum has and continues to give insight to all preparing and to those already who have made the relocation.the info here gives you an edge while you land.
I urge the 2012, 2013 and 2014 to treasure the little information given here as this might be the only info you will get from fellow country men in US.
Be blessed Wanjeri and your input is forever treasured.

hi dubai, just want to know about Seattle that is there snow in winter in Seattle???? just want to know about it

Traffic in this thread has slowed down drastically after the closure of DV 2013. We dont here the Nickellys, Makikis, Ashes, etc. I really appreciate the many things I learned in this thread. I was not a so much regular contributor due to the nature of my job which entails too much travelling and little internet access. But from the very bottom of my heart, I appreciate, am grateful and thank you all who helped through their contributions and whenever, I look at my passport and see the DV visa, I continue to thank GOD and appreciate you all.

Enough said, I still have a question, at least two questions

1. I have been searching the internet on apartments in the US and looks like you need to have a credit history to be approved to rent a house. I intended to sign a lease agreement as soon as after one week from my arrival since I will be having enough funds to pay rent for at least 9 months. For people who are already in the US, how did you manage?

2. How much money in hard cash (in USD) is one allowed to enter the US with, and how soon can one open a bank account, what are the requirements? Which is the best bank to pen an account with and what type of account do I need?

3. How soon can one get a driving license and how soon can one buy a car?

Thanks all and GOD bless you.

Sincerely,

Ronnyblessed

Traffic in this thread has slowed down drastically after the closure of DV 2013. We dont here the Nickellys, Makikis, Ashes, etc. I really appreciate the many things I learned in this thread. I was not a so much regular contributor due to the nature of my job which entails too much travelling and little internet access. But from the very bottom of my heart, I appreciate, am grateful and thank you all who helped through their contributions and whenever, I look at my passport and see the DV visa, I continue to thank GOD and appreciate you all.

1. I have been searching the internet on apartments in the US and looks like you need to have a credit history to be approved to rent a house. I intended to sign a lease agreement as soon as after one week from my arrival since I will be having enough funds to pay rent for at least 9 months. For people who are already in the US, how did you manage?

2. How much money in hard cash (in USD) is one allowed to enter the US with, and how soon can one open a bank account, what are the requirements? Which is the best bank to pen an account with and what type of account do I need?

Sincerely,

Ronnyblessed

Hi Ronnyblessed,

I'll only answer part of the question..You can carry under US $ 10,000 without declaring, anything over 10,000 you have to declare to Customs & Border Protection (CBP)..hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Kcse cert

hi guys...hope u having a blessed Sunday.. what happens if the details on the list of educational institutions attended.. ds 230 form Q's 33 for secondary school..we are used to knowing the kcse cert just as a cert and not diploma..and filled N/A..does that require another form to be sent to KCC considering am current and time factor barred?

If you put KSCE cerificate, there is no need to worry. It is okay. Eventually the embassy will verify the form. Unless I did not get your question clearly.
I honestly don't recall..but thanks Ronny BLd...I will just know from getting the 2nl..but think put o-level cert.. are u in U.S?

Sincerely,

Ronnyblessed
1. Getting a house you need your host to help you since you are visitor to the USA.he can use his documents to help you lease a house.
2. Less than $ 10,000 more than that you will be taxed.
3. First you do a Knowledge test, its like a quiz. then when you pass u do some practical driving where by you still need your host so that he can register you to have an ID and driver’s manual book and drive around before you do your test.
4. Driving License. It depends on how many people have booked before you. Hope i have answered you questions to my best ability.