• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

I miss you all, i used to check this page every now and then but right now am so missing in action that i feel bad. Actually i am going thru a phase that is so tough but will get over it so soon thats why i never check or write. I didnt know that life could be this tough now that i am coming from Mombasa where life was so smooth and slow here things are rough on me. I wake up at 5am go to work at work i work like a busy bee or an ant then straight home by this time my feet are so hurting all i want is have a bath and get to bed alafu some days i work till 11pm at night maze its rough coz i never used to this kind of life back at home.

I love the setting at work, they do care for their employees though, unlike Kenya here you can take your lunch to work ie if its minced meat with chapatis you put them in the fridge with your name and date labelled then during lunch time you get your lunch out of the fridge put in the microwave and eat your lunch so you save by carrying lunches to work. There is plenty of coffee and cucumber for free.

There are many places to work like now i work very far from where i stay but am trying to get a nearby place where i can walk coz i dont have a car yet. i already have a phone line. initially i thought one cant use the phones we came with but we searched the net and found some shops that sell standard sim cards and no contract lines they are called "SIMPLE MOBILE" the plan is cheap coz you pay 50 dollars a month. unlike the contract one where you pay like 500 dollars before anything and around 50 dollars every month alafu its a contract one.

Let me sleep oh no let me go back to the pages and read a few post.
Dont worry gal . u need to perservere so that when youl see the fruits u will rejoice.

Misses,you say your interview is on a saturday?please confirm with the embassy i dont think thy work on wkends. Anyone with info?

You will make it lady.But I appreciate your updates right up from the place we are crossing over to soon.Please makiki give us a lot of information.Is the job paying.Have you broken the traffic rules again?

Misses,you say your interview is on a saturday?please confirm with the embassy i dont think thy work on wkends. Anyone with info?

When I received my letter I noticed it was a saturday, I sent an email to the embassy you see the reply below in bold

Dear Sir/Madam

I'm a 2013 DV Diversity winner and I have received my second letter notifying me of my interview date and time. My problem is my interview date falls on the 13 July at 7:30 which is a Saturday, to my knowledge the US embassy in Yaounde is closed on Saturdays. I need your advise on this, how should go about it.

Best regard

It is fine.

Thank you.

Consular Section

Connect with U.S. Embassy Cameroon:

Makiki please share with us about the jobs, earning - cost of living Vs savings. i guess it will be helpful info to the forumites. may the Lord keep blessing you.

Well for the first time one will have rough time getting her/his dream job but while you are waiting for that important call please walk into any Walmart and apply jobs online using their machines you will receive a call in 3 days time to go do a urine test and if you pass both urine and criminal record then the job is yours they pay very little that is 7.65 dollars per hour which i do, another job you can get is security guard which pays 8.50 dollars and above depending on the level of training you acquire which doesnt take more than 3 months training and by the way it is NOT like our security guards back at home oh no it is very nice, again there is CNA which pays from 9.20 dollars to 18 per hour depending on where or who you will be working for. These kind os jobs will enable you to start earning something while yo are in your host since the host pays for bills all you will need is to save every single penny to move to your house or even buy a car of your own. There are data entry jobs, you can also work as night clerks in hotels, as cashier in the bank all you need is apply and call them to see if they are giving you a chance.

Otherwise your host will also help out but if they dont use their internet to search for jobs, if he/she takes you to a restaurant, salons, shops or malls ask if there is any job opening. Have your phone number because this is where they (employers) will be calling you. You may get a nice job and if your host wont like it he/she may not tell you that they called, so get a line as soon as possible you can buy a T Mobile No contract from Walmart as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will make it lady.But I appreciate your updates right up from the place we are crossing over to soon.Please makiki give us a lot of information.Is the job paying.Have you broken the traffic rules again?

Yes the job is paying i got my first pay check. No i havent stepped on the wheel since i was caught i dont want to be in trouble again ooooo

Well for the first time one will have rough time getting her/his dream job but while you are waiting for that important call please walk into any Walmart and apply jobs online using their machines you will receive a call in 3 days time to go do a urine test and if you pass both urine and criminal record then the job is yours they pay very little that is 7.65 dollars per hour which i do, another job you can get is security guard which pays 8.50 dollars and above depending on the level of training you acquire which doesnt take more than 3 months training and by the way it is NOT like our security guards back at home oh no it is very nice, again there is CNA which pays from 9.20 dollars to 18 per hour depending on where or who you will be working for. These kind os jobs will enable you to start earning something while yo are in your host since the host pays for bills all you will need is to save every single penny to move to your house or even buy a car of your own. There are data entry jobs, you can also work as night clerks in hotels, as cashier in the bank all you need is apply and call them to see if they are giving you a chance.

Otherwise your host will also help out but if they dont use their internet to search for jobs, if he/she takes you to a restaurant, salons, shops or malls ask if there is any job opening. Have your phone number because this is where they (employers) will be calling you. You may get a nice job and if your host wont like it he/she may not tell you that they called, so get a line as soon as possible you can buy a T Mobile No contract from Walmart as well.

you are really mama

Greating to all good members. I must apologize for going under like makiki. Its bn prety tough organizing my family for relocating and especially so coz our visas expire in dec. I am greatful to God that my husband n i arrived safely in phoenix via egyptian air on 4th july. We opted to leave the kids so that we can pull efforts n ensure we get them in time.We shall be getting our ids n nss no.on monday then we can go job hunting. The place is very beautiful with complex road designs. This state is extmly hot i guess hotter than garissa. I hope to give guys more info as timr goes by. In the meantime all the best to those yet to go for interviews n congrats to winners.

Thanks Makiki for your constructive information

July successess....

Hi forumates

Anyone out there who has attended interviews this cold July? If so don't tire sharing your experiences as they keep our hopes up and also educate on what to look out for when facing the CO's.

I visited Dubai with fellow staff mates from last Friday thr Wednesday this week. Gosh the state is highly developed. Then I told myself if Dubai is developed like this, then what of my country of destination(USA)?I got encouraged to relocate as soon as possible.
I am now shopping for the airline to use is I plan to relocate.

Those going for interviews this week I wish you God's blessings.Tripple L and makiki thanks for the updates.Reality is now sinking that while in Usa don't be choosy as you wait for your dream job.

Good to hear that thanks a lot gal be blessed.

1 Corinthians 10:13

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

hallo my fellow winners of previous years and those waiting for their interviews .can someone tell about the Colorado are jobs hard ,easy to get the accommodation and life in general.nickelly ushatoka or bado uko kenya.Thanks very much and God bless you remember he loves you JAMES 1;17

2014AF00073XXX

Thanks for this infor dearie...

You think people mentioning affidavit of support, bank statements, work experience, etc on the other threads are discussing non DV related issues and all you have to show the CO at the time of your interview is your high school diploma? For a young fella like yourself, I think you may be in for a rude shock if you believe that will be enough to secure you the visa.

And not only for just getting the visa. You better think again if you're of the impression that with just your high school diploma and no form of support, work experience and enough savings in your account things will click once you reach the US. Nothing personal, just simple advice I think you can benefit from.

I tend to think that some pple in the "other" discussions, sisemi eti ata kwa hii forum hakuna! wako so proud especially when explaining issues to the rest.
Look at this this forum for example, I like it, why you may ask?
If one person asks a question the rest try all they can to answer the question as it is until one understands.
First of all some pple give answers to things that aren't even associated with dv.
-Things like bnk statements, they aren't a must during the interview.
-Affidavit of support, clearly as far as I have seen in Kenya. It's not a must eti ukue nayo. unless otherwise...
-If you meet the dv requirement with a Hae skul dip, acha vitisho eti juu una mpaka working experience.
-It's not a must that you should be employed during the tym of your interview.
God have mercy, some of us aren't even near our 21st Bday tulitoka HS juzi unatushow storo ya bnk statement tutoe wapi !, Ndo tunasaka Jobu hapa nje na kupata ni ngori ka kawa.
Ka msee ana kila kiiiitu si ashukuru Sir God juu ya hiyo stori.
As I said, Nothing personal.
Thanks to all of you who take their time to explain things as they are without adding chumvii eti juu wana kila kitu frm statement to Aff of Support, Exp etc. Asanteni.
Thanks Nickelly for the daily wording.

Nothing Personal.

Sm 1 smom...
I get you it's nothing personal, n thank you for the response.
I know u atleast have to show one of those one way or another. My problem wasn't that it's how "some" pple ans quiz with alot proudness in them like its a must.
Lets see have u heard anyone ever been denied the visa because he didn't prove all those?

hallo my fellow winners of previous years and those waiting for their interviews .can someone tell about the Colorado are jobs hard ,easy to get the accommodation and life in general.nickelly ushatoka or bado uko kenya.Thanks very much and God bless you remember he loves you JAMES 1;17

2014AF00073XXX

Bado niko Kenya najipanga bado, mi kids have not closed, so have to wait they close school so that I can have their report card.:)