• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

All my pictures except our wedding album were in digital files so I had to print them for the interview. We showed them to her, she liked them, she even talked about our trips with us and the places she would like to visit. After that no more questions. It was a rather pleasant interview.

Pryanik :)

That is certainly what I am hoping but pryanik changed my plans. Funny thing is almost all my wedding pics are digital, if I print them now, they'll look suspiciously new. :D:D

Come to think of it, I look much younger in them, so I'll be OK :)

we have been together for more then 4 years, our marriage was not in a court but we registered in local municipal soon after the wedding. I have lots of pics from the wedding and our trips in the past. So I am thinking about the car papers and insurance, which we have together.

Search for itineraries if you have both traveled together, that would help.

Varxx,
I am in the same boat as you. Got married after sending DSP 122. My husband is a GA too and we both dont make too much money combined, so I was worried about sponsorship part too. I guess, I will just wait for the interview letter and see what they ask for.
As for the documents and pictures, we had a court marriage and only people present was my mom, mother in law and my brother. We dated for 5 years and decided to get married. We are planning to take tons of pics, our car loan together, both the phones in family plan for last 4 years, so we might take letter from Verizon, also our car insurance is together for last 2 yrs so will take that too.
I think you will be interviewed before me, so your experience will surely help us. Al the best. Cheers!!

Hi, every body
I am international
Student doing Aos , Is anybody know if the officer will ask about the financial support and howmuch the lower limit for accepted financial support.
I am MPH student my family sending money for study every month around 2500 ds per month do u think its accepted for me and my wife( she is doing AOS as well)
Thanks everybody

Hi, every body
I am international
Student doing Aos , Is anybody know if the officer will ask about the financial support and howmuch the lower limit for accepted financial support.
That will be only known when you receive your interview letter. If any of you working on- campus, than you have to send your pay stubs with your AOS package.
If i am wrong other experienced members can correct. Thanks.

Hi, every body
I am international
I am MPH student my family sending money for study every month around 2500 ds per month do u think its accepted for me and my wife( she is doing AOS as well)
Thanks everybody

In theory, your I-20 is proof that you can pay your school+expenses. But I wouldn't count on it. If you have on-campus employment, you can take your pay stubs, W-2s and tax returns to the interview. If you don't have on-campus employment, you can document that you are getting $2500 every month. Here is the poverty guidelines for Affidavit of Support, these are meant to be for those who will sponsor a green card application, if your income is above this level, you should be fine. But you still may have to find a sponsor who resides in US. It's best if you check with an immigration official, or lawyer.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

You're right! Include pay stubs if you can. W-2 and tax returns: take them to your interview.

That will be only known when you receive your interview letter. If any of you working on- campus, than you have to send your pay stubs with your AOS package.
If i am wrong other experienced members can correct. Thanks.

This has been posted elewhere but I am putting here hopping that you guys (aos13, Sm1smon and others) can provide advice to help me solve this problem.

I entered DV2013 with my family of 4. In the e-form I put my wife's maiden name (ex. JOHN Isabella) as it is written in her short form birth certificate; the one we used for all administrative issues. We are married for about 10 years, her passport issued in 2009 has the following name JOHN EPSE JOE Isabella. In my country (francophone) EPSE stands for SPOUSE and it is common to fill married women's passport this way and JOE is my last name.

I already sent DS-230 forms to KCC using my wife's maiden name (JOHN Isabella) but I put JOE where it says Other names used or Aliase.

The worst thing is that we just discovered that in her long form birth certificate (needed at the embassy) she was named after her mother (BAIRD Isabella) with a notice saying that she was recognised by her father JOHN Daniel James 4 months after her birth, hence her normal birth certificate (the short form one) has her father's name and her first name.

What shoud we do then?

1. Should we carry a new DS-230 for my wife with her name as it appears on the passport (JOHN EPSE JOE Isabella). Would that be an issue during the interview? Personally, I am not comfortable with the "EPSE"
2. The correct format wouldn't has been JOE Isabella and JOHN for other names used or aliases?
3. What should we do with the name BAIRD that she never used?

Please I need your advise badly as the interview is scheduled for next month.

Thank you,

Hi Guys, can you please help in the above case? Thanks,

Hi, every body
I am international
Thanks everybody

In my understanding and based on my experience,
USCIS wants to see those documents (i.e. bank statement, w-2 etc) because they want to make sure that applicant is financially independent.
The worst thing for them is that applicants will need governmental financial support after they start to live in the US.

In my case, my lawyer included bank statements for the last three months and an employment letter containing length of contract and salary information to I-485 packet, but no W-2 or tax info.

The interview letter mentions to bring W-2 and tax info for the last three years, but my lawyer said they are not necessary in my case.
in fact, it is very rare that USCIS will check with IRS according to my lawyer.
(although I will bring those info just in case)

For you, if you are F-1, and if you dont have taxable income in the US, most likely you dont have w-2 or tax info, so bank statement showing you are getting money from your parent? regularly is the best proof to show you are financially stable.

I also searched what is the lowest amount of money in a bank and acceptable for USCIS AOS, but so far I could not find the info, my lawyer also cannot give me the info either. This is because there is no fixed guidance of how much is enough and how much is not.

I guess how much money is necessary to live in the US is depending on where you live an how you live.

hope this helps

Interview letters are usually pretty generic, I would not count on them to supply case-specific information.

Thats right, it is better to be prepared and not just depend on the list they provide.

I think the list below should be enough, please add if any of you have an input!

To prove financially stable for F1 students:
Bank Statement
GA letter from Supervisor or HR, if any
W2
pay stubs, if any

To prove relationships:
Marriage certificate
Pictures from wedding with family members
Joint assets, bank account
Utility bills and joint loans if any
Travel itineraries together with pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clarification.
I think I am in safe since I am exceedind the 125% of poverty line, and I reach 200%. In addition, I
will bring my bill of last quarters taken payment. In addition, my wife is studdying in high ranked ESL institute payment is made for the last three months. Joint medical insurance, and renting history payments.
What u think guys
Is it convincing docs or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
submission in advance

Hey DVAOS,

If you are current in April send your file on April 1 or later, if you are current in May send it on May 1 or later, and so on. I don't remember anybody in this particular thread sending their I-485 "way before" they became current as you mentioned. We discussed this several pages ago, and apparently, from previous years' experiences, USCIS started rejecting the files if they arrived too early in advance. However, sending the I-485 before the end of the month and timing the arrival on or after the 1st of the month you become current is OK.

Pryanik is correct. I sent i-485 application month before it became current and It was rejected. I re-submitted again month later and it was accepted.

The Wait

it has been 10 days now since interview at chicago FO and still no status update.

when should i panic ?

pju,

I recommend you to go for an infopass. before that you can also call NBC for a followup. 10 days is too long. By now, your status should at least show the decision stage.

it has been 10 days now since interview at chicago FO and still no status update.

when should i panic ?

Hey Matap,

Are you doing AOS or CP?

Hi Sm1smom, sorry for the delay. I was away for 2 days. I am doing CP and the interview is scheduled for next month. Below I am providing more details about my case.

1. As you probably know we have 2 types of birth certificate: the short form and the long form (required for visa processing in US embassies)
2. My wife's short form birth certificate has JOHN Isabella (JOHN is her father's name).
3. But the long form birth certificate has BAIRD Isabella (BAIRD is her mother's name) but there is a notice on the certificate saying that her father (JOHN Daniel James) recognised my wife as his daughter 4 months after her birth. The reason is that he was not in the country when my wife was born. But my wife never used the name BAIRD. Her father's name was added when she was only 4 months. Her first passport when she was not married has JOHN Isabella (that is her maiden name which is normal).
4. Her passport when she got married has JOHN EPSE JOE (JOE is my family name and EPSE comes from EPOUSE, equivalence of SPOUSE in English and commonly used in some froncophone countries to refer to a woman married to X).
5. In the DV entry form and DS-230 I entered my wife's name as JOHN Isabella

My questions:

1. Is failing to write the name as it appears on the passport a ground for visa refusal during the interview?
2. Should carry the 2 types of birth certificate to the embassy for the interview as a proof that it is the same person?
3. Is it correct if I prepare a new DS-230 form with the name as it appears on the passport (family name: JOHN EPSE JOE; First name: Isabella)? What shoud I put on question 2 that says "Other names used or Aliases"? If I put BAIRD and JOHN is that correct?
4. Or should I write it this way (family name: JOE which is my family name; first name: ISABELLA and Other names used or aliases: BAIRD and JOHN)?
5. Should my wife prepare an affidavit to explain that JOHN Isabella and JOHN EPSE JOE Isabella refer to the same person?

I hope these details help to understand the issue. I really need your advice as the interview date is fast approaching.

Dear Matap,

Thanks for mentioning my name but I have no definite knowledge of how you should proceed. I myself have a bit of a similar situation although not as complicated as yours, regarding names. My opinion is to use the name on the passport as it is the latest issued official document by your government. Listing all possible aliases on a new DS-230 sounds like a good idea. Apparently you are doing CP, right? I would contact the local US embassy and ask them. Embassy personnel are more familiar with the local customs and local documents as they issue thousands of visas every year, and they may have already seen a case or two like yours. What varxx suggested also makes sense but I would definitely contact the embassy.

Hi aos13, sorry for the delay; I was away for a while. Yes, I am doing CP but not in my home country. Varxx suggested a letter form the municipality explaining the name change, but this is something we can not complete before the interview. I am planning to write an affidavit that will explain that JOHN Isabella and JOHN EPSE JOE Isabella are the same person.
To tell the truth, I am very confused about the issue. Please read the details that I provided shortly in response to Sm1smom's question.