• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Response below:

Hey all of you,

patience is the thing... as I am reading through your cases in the feed.

So what is about this September Deadline for DV lottery winners and AoS? Does it mean i Have to have the greencard before that otherwise I don't get it?? Or is it just that I have to send the package to Chicago Lockbox 'before' September? - You're required to have your GC by Sept. 30th - the application should have been completely processed and approved by then.

My dates so far:
- Current in Feb 2013
- Application sent to Kentucky
- Kentucky letter
- Chicago lockbox i-485 received 05/01/2013
- Biometrics done 05/29/2013
- waiting for next steps...

I am a bit worried about this whole timeline thing. I just called USCIS lien to ask about the case status and times. She said that they currently processing cases from December 2012 (!!!) - This has to do with family and employment based GC, so don't let it bother you. It's the standard response which has nothing to do with DV based GC applications

Oh, also the average processing time is supposedly 5 month (for SF field office) - which would be Octover 2013.. Which is after this September deadline. - This is not applicable to DV applicants

:( :confused:

What to do?

S

A bit curious though, if you were current in February, why did you wait for so long before sending in your I-485 package?

Response below:

A bit curious though, if you were current in February, why did you wait for so long before sending in your I-485 package?

I was getting my docs together and the medical took longer than expected :S

So you say i have to get GC approved and in hands by Sept, 30.
Should I call them again to tell them that I am DV Lottery winner? Would they then speed the process up?? Because they are just working on December 2012 applicants now...I am a bit nervous if I just wait and do nothing that I won't get my GC until Sept. I don't even know if they need further proof or documents or anything...

I don't even know if they need further proof or documents or anything...
Axyris,
DV visa selectee do not come under regular I 485 processing times. It s a special visa category. You should be doing an infopass and as mom suggested, get in touch with ur congressman.

Axyris,
DV visa selectee do not come under regular I 485 processing times. It s a special visa category. You should be doing an infopass and as mom suggested, get in touch with ur congressman.

You misunderstood me united1. My suggestion regarding calling a congress person was directed at edwarlau who got interviewed in April but has no decision by now.

Calling the congress man/woman is really kind of like a last resort for people whose cases are experiencing an unusually long delay. axyris' case is not at that stage and I honestly wouldn't even encourage contacting the congress person for now.

So you say i have to get GC approved and in hands by Sept, 30.
Should I call them again to tell them that I am DV Lottery winner? Would they then speed the process up?? Because they are just working on December 2012 applicants now...I am a bit nervous if I just wait and do nothing that I won't get my GC until Sept. I don't even know if they need further proof or documents or anything...

You unfortunately are responsible for the situation you're in at the moment, you will just have to sweat it out for a while. Like I wrote earlier on, the fact that they're processing Dec 2012 applicants at the moment has no bearing on the processing time of DV cases. Most DV cases typically take about 3 months to complete. Your application was received in May, you got to do your biometrics in May. Your interview letter will most likely be sent sometime in July, your FO is already aware of the time sensitive nature of DV cases, they will process your application accordingly.

**UPDATE**
Got my interview letter today for the last day of July. Letter is dated 6/27 but was mailed on 3rd July. No idea why that was done. It says look at the attachment for documents to bring and there's no attachment :)
I check my mail everyday at 3 and today I did at 2:45 n saw nothing in there. I went back n booked a hotel room for our infopass on Tuesday morning (Non-refundable). Just went back to double check in the night and found the letter. Such an irony....
Well at least I have the letter.
All the best to everyone waiting..Everyones letter is on the way :)

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE! UPDATE!
I recommend anybody who is waiting for an interview scheduling to call up USCIS.
I agree with kikiinny. I called on Thursday and Friday letter was printed. Its all about luck to find some1 helpful on the other side, but there is no harm in trying. I almost called more than 6-7 times and it clicked once.

I agree with kikiinny. I called on Thursday and Friday letter was printed. Its all about luck to find some1 helpful on the other side, but there is no harm in trying. I almost called more than 6-7 times and it clicked once.

United1,
Congratulations and good luck on your interview!

From our experience, I think, no matter what L1 or L2 officer says, once they submit a service request to NSC, DV cases will get expedited because NSC people know what they are doing.

For all those current in May who were getting worried about not receiving their interview letters, if you read through this thread from the beginning or previous AOS threads, went over the DV timelines spreadsheet, you would have realized most of your cases were still within the normal time frame. Processing takes between 1-3 months.

While its good to call USCIS every now and then and kind of 'put them under pressure' since it gives us the feeling of being proactive and doing something, I however hate to burst some of your bubbles. It's simply a matter of coincidence when you interview letter arrives or is printed within a day or 2 of such calls, USCIS simply doesn't work like that (I wish they did).

Congratulations to all those who just got their letters and all the best at the interview. For those yet to receive, hang in there, those letters are on their way.

high case number for dv 2013

hi everyone,
i won greencard lottery for fiscal year 2013, my number will be current on september 1st 2013,but i only have until september 30th 2012 to have my interview with USCIS.I called USCIS and they told me i have to file for expedite when i apply for change of status which i am planning to file on sept 1st.Currently i have set up an appointment with the local office so i can get more information.Also Department of state said if i wont change my status by sept 30th i will be disqualified for the lottery.I am just trying to find out if USCIS will be able to set up an interview withing a month,i am sure i am not the first on to be in this situation.

Hello dear forumers,

I'm doing AOS through USCIS, I paid DV fee last year and received email from KCC, but not sure if it is a payment receipt confirmation. It does not look like a receipt at all. Could you please tell me how does payment receipt look like?

I received two attachments from KCC, first has basically, my information and following text:
Thank you for informing us of your intention to apply for adjustment of status with the Department of Homeland
Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Please note that there are legal restrictions on who may qualify for adjustment of status in the United States, and
that while most adjustment applications are filed with USCIS, aliens in removal proceedings must file their
adjustment applications with the Immigration Court. You must also pay the Diversity Visa (DV) processing fee
before USCIS or the court will act on your adjustment application.
To adjust to legal permanent resident status through the Diversity Visa program, you must file Form I-485 with
your local USCIS Office. However, you must wait until an immigrant visa number is immediately available to
file Form I-485, otherwise your application will be rejected. To see if an immigrant visa number is immediately
available, check the current Department of State Visa Bulletin at
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html
You must submit the Diversity Visa (DV) "Notification Letter" we sent you to the USCIS office nearest your
place of residence in order to apply for adjustment of status. You may apply to USCIS for adjustment of status
from October 1, 2012 until September 30, 2013. DV - 2013 immigrant visa status is only valid through that date.
If your spouse and/or children currently live outside the United States, they may be eligible to apply for an
immigrant visa under the Diversity Visa program at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their country of residence.
However, the embassy/consulate cannot process your family members' applications until notification is received
from the USCIS advising that you have adjusted status. It is important that you apply for adjustment of status as
soon as possible. Please remember that your spouse and/or children must apply for and be issued immigrant visas
while they are available and before the DV-2013 program ends on September 30, 2013. They will not be eligible
to be issued a visa under this program after that date.
When you apply to adjust status, you must tell the USCIS that you have family members living abroad who will
apply for immigrant visa status at an embassy/consulate. You must request the USCIS to send information about
your family, including their overseas address, to the appropriate embassy/consulate to enable processing of their
visa applications. If you do not tell the USCIS about your family living overseas, and the consulate does not
receive the information from the USCIS, your family members will not be processed for immigration to the
United States under the DV program.
If your spouse/children will not apply for visas under the DV program, you can file with USCIS an immigrant
visa petition (Form I-130) for them in the Family 2A (F2A) category. You can only do this after you have
obtained legal permanent resident status, whether through adjustment of status or admission to the United States
with an immigrant visa. Please carefully consider the consequences of a decision to file Form I-130 rather than
having your family members apply for visas under the DV program.
Historically, applicants have experienced a delay of several years for a F2A immigrant number to become
available. The Department of State adjusts the availability on immigrant numbers on a monthly basis according
to demand in each category, and publishes current availability in the monthly visa bulletin, posted online at
http://www.state.gov/visa/buttetin/bulletin_1360.html
Please remember that the DV fee must bequestions should be directed to USCIS.

second attachment is an empty payment form with instructions how to make a payment.

PLEASE HELP

The first one is the letter that confirms they aknowldege you will be doing AOS.
The second one is a form that you will fill and include your payment of the Department state fees.

At the beginning of your post you said you paid the AOS fees last year, Who did you pay it for? how much was that? I am confused since you said you paid it and now you get this letter???

For ALL DV-AOS cases there are only 2 fees to be paid to a government entity:
1)The first is the Department of state Fees which i believe is around $330 now ( was $440 two years ago as far as i remember)
2) The second is the USCIS fees for I-485 which is around $1070 (not sure if its still the same now)

Anyways the receipt that you get from the DOS fees payment is basically a return portion of the payment form you sent (which had your hand writing on it) with a stamp saying it was paid or received with a date next to it.

The receipt that you get from USCIS is the I-797 (notice of action)

Hello dear forumers,

I'm doing AOS through USCIS, I paid DV fee last year and received email from KCC, but not sure if it is a payment receipt confirmation. It does not look like a receipt at all. Could you please tell me how does payment receipt look like?

I received two attachments from KCC, first has basically, my information and following text:
Thank you for informing us of your intention to apply for adjustment of status with the Department of Homeland
Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Please note that there are legal restrictions on who may qualify for adjustment of status in the United States, and
that while most adjustment applications are filed with USCIS, aliens in removal proceedings must file their
adjustment applications with the Immigration Court. You must also pay the Diversity Visa (DV) processing fee
before USCIS or the court will act on your adjustment application.
To adjust to legal permanent resident status through the Diversity Visa program, you must file Form I-485 with
your local USCIS Office. However, you must wait until an immigrant visa number is immediately available to
file Form I-485, otherwise your application will be rejected. To see if an immigrant visa number is immediately
available, check the current Department of State Visa Bulletin at
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html
You must submit the Diversity Visa (DV) "Notification Letter" we sent you to the USCIS office nearest your
place of residence in order to apply for adjustment of status. You may apply to USCIS for adjustment of status
from October 1, 2012 until September 30, 2013. DV - 2013 immigrant visa status is only valid through that date.
If your spouse and/or children currently live outside the United States, they may be eligible to apply for an
immigrant visa under the Diversity Visa program at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their country of residence.
However, the embassy/consulate cannot process your family members' applications until notification is received
from the USCIS advising that you have adjusted status. It is important that you apply for adjustment of status as
soon as possible. Please remember that your spouse and/or children must apply for and be issued immigrant visas
while they are available and before the DV-2013 program ends on September 30, 2013. They will not be eligible
to be issued a visa under this program after that date.
When you apply to adjust status, you must tell the USCIS that you have family members living abroad who will
apply for immigrant visa status at an embassy/consulate. You must request the USCIS to send information about
your family, including their overseas address, to the appropriate embassy/consulate to enable processing of their
visa applications. If you do not tell the USCIS about your family living overseas, and the consulate does not
receive the information from the USCIS, your family members will not be processed for immigration to the
United States under the DV program.
If your spouse/children will not apply for visas under the DV program, you can file with USCIS an immigrant
visa petition (Form I-130) for them in the Family 2A (F2A) category. You can only do this after you have
obtained legal permanent resident status, whether through adjustment of status or admission to the United States
with an immigrant visa. Please carefully consider the consequences of a decision to file Form I-130 rather than
having your family members apply for visas under the DV program.
Historically, applicants have experienced a delay of several years for a F2A immigrant number to become
available. The Department of State adjusts the availability on immigrant numbers on a monthly basis according
to demand in each category, and publishes current availability in the monthly visa bulletin, posted online at
http://www.state.gov/visa/buttetin/bulletin_1360.html
Please remember that the DV fee must bequestions should be directed to USCIS.

second attachment is an empty payment form with instructions how to make a payment.

PLEASE HELP

Thank you for your response,

I paid $660 for myself and my husband, last year, and received email after payment.
1)The first one is the letter that confirms they acknowledge I will be doing AOS.
2)The second one is a form that I will fill and include my payment of the Department state fees.
I sent the payment, they did not return the stamped portion I signed and filled out. However, I received email with 2 attachments, second is empty but labeled "payment confirmation receipt"

Anyway, I emailed them asking for clarification.
Do I pay AOS and biometric fees for both, myself and husband? he will be included in my aos application

Providing more information regarding your case number will make it easier for forum members to assist with your case.

Anyway once you have confirmation of your CN being current, you can attempt to send in your I-485 package right away. You don't have to wait till Sept 1st before sending in your application. I doubt if all the necessary steps can be completed within a month if you wait until Sept 1st to begin your AOS process. You will of course need to print out the VB showing you current in Sept (be sure to highlight that section) and include it with your application package. For now though, have you completed your medical exam? Did you make your DV payment already and have your payment receipt back?

hi everyone,
i won greencard lottery for fiscal year 2013, my number will be current on september 1st 2013,but i only have until september 30th 2012 to have my interview with USCIS.I called USCIS and they told me i have to file for expedite when i apply for change of status which i am planning to file on sept 1st.Currently i have set up an appointment with the local office so i can get more information.Also Department of state said if i wont change my status by sept 30th i will be disqualified for the lottery.I am just trying to find out if USCIS will be able to set up an interview withing a month,i am sure i am not the first on to be in this situation.

I'm guessing you did not include a stamped, self-addressed envelope when you made your payment, hence the non-return of the payment form you filled out. Notwithstanding, the labeled "payment confirmation receipt" attachment you received with the email serves the purpose of your receipt. You will need to include it with your I-485 package.

Yes, you will need to include a payment of $1075 each for yourself and your husband. All the derivatives filing based on your selection have to make the payment, if they're all doing AOS.

Thank you for your response,

I paid $660 for myself and my husband, last year, and received email after payment.
1)The first one is the letter that confirms they acknowledge I will be doing AOS.
2)The second one is a form that I will fill and include my payment of the Department state fees.
I sent the payment, they did not return the stamped portion I signed and filled out. However, I received email with 2 attachments, second is empty but labeled "payment confirmation receipt"

Anyway, I emailed them asking for clarification.
Do I pay AOS and biometric fees for both, myself and husband? he will be included in my aos application

high case number for dv 2013