• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 - AOS - step by step

Dear AOS folks,

I'm happy to share further news ---- today I had my I485 AOS interview, and overall I can say it went great. My interview was at the Los Angeles USCIS field office in the morning. There was only one interviewing officer on duty (not sure if that is normal), so I had a wait just over an hour before being called. The interview was straight forward: take the oath, provide drivers license as ID, review of I-485 and confirm yes/no questions related to drugs/terrorism etc., they look at my masters diploma (not the transcript), and look at my I-20. They did not look at my passport, or original birth certificate, or the original DV letter stamped "PAID". I was not asked any questions about what I study, what school I go to, when do I graduate, etc. I had received an Advance Parole letter; they did not request this either.

I haven't mentioned here that I got married last year and my wife is an F-1 student also; we met at school some 4-5 years ago, and she did the AOS with me as a "derivative status" applicant. We were asked to show the marriage certificate. We had many other things to show regarding joint financial responsibility (bills, apartment lease, car insurance, bank accounts), but none of that was asked for! We also had a mini photo album of the wedding, and another of many photos over the years --- these were not requested either! The officer asked my wife what she does --- which school/program. The only document asked from my wife, was her ID!

Everything was over in about 10 mins! We were told to expect our "cards" in the mail within a few weeks! It was not much of a statement about the outcome/decision, and so my wife asked "Are our applications approved?" And we were told yes, they are approved!

Tonight, I received an SMS/email that my case status is updated on USCIS website, and when I check my I485 receipt number it says "Card/Document Production" (The status jumped directly to this from "Acceptance"). When I check my wife's I-485 receipt number it is still on "Acceptance" which I thought was a bit odd.

I have a couple of questions -- perhaps those with spouse who went through the process as derivative status applicant can help answer? :)

1. When the primary applicants status was updated to Card/Document Production, did the status for the derivative (spouse) applicant also update? Did it change at the same time, or later? I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about my wife's application.

2. The interviewing officer did not look at our passports, and did not take our I-94s. I've read that for other F-1 people the officer took the I-94 from your passport at the interview. Am I going to need to hand the I-94 in somewhere?

3. I also have an Advance Parole document, and the interview letter requests to bring it with me. I thought they might take this letter, but they didn't.

While things seem to have completed smoothly, I will be more relaxed when we both have our green cards! I will keep posting here with my news!

Cheers everyone, and best wishes to you on this journey.
ETL

Congrats ETL.
Your interview description is pretty much like mine.
1. In my case the online status has changed a few times between card production and acceptance in the same day, while my wife's and my son's was acceptance all time. The official acceptance letters came in 3-4 days after the interview. Mine came one day earlier than my wife's and son's. The letters say the actual GC's will follow within 30 (or 60 days) but they came 3 days latter.
2. The officer checked our passports and I94's but did not retain the I94's. I traveled overseas recently and I did not hand in my former I94. No one ever asked. I did not have an advanced parole document.

What a difference though when I came back. I was even welcomed.

Congrats again.

Congrats ETL.
Your interview description is pretty much like mine.
1. In my case the online status has changed a few times between card production and acceptance in the same day, while my wife's and my son's was acceptance all time. The official acceptance letters came in 3-4 days after the interview. Mine came one day earlier than my wife's and son's. The letters say the actual GC's will follow within 30 (or 60 days) but they came 3 days latter.
2. The officer checked our passports and I94's but did not retain the I94's. I traveled overseas recently and I did not hand in my former I94. No one ever asked. I did not have an advanced parole document.

What a difference though when I came back. I was even welcomed.

Congrats again.

Thanks for the feedback rgm_rc! I appreciate your congrats and comments! There is a fair bit of variation in interview procedure, especially given all the questions that they can possibly ask...but don't! So, it's good to know my experience was nothing out of the ordinary, and the subsequent status (derivative status not updating + I-94 not removed) appears to be quite okay.

So, even when you re-entered the US, was your I-94 ever removed? Or, you still have it in your passport?

Cheers,
ETL

Thanks for the feedback rgm_rc! I appreciate your congrats and comments! There is a fair bit of variation in interview procedure, especially given all the questions that they can possibly ask...but don't! So, it's good to know my experience was nothing out of the ordinary, and the subsequent status (derivative status not updating + I-94 not removed) appears to be quite okay.

So, even when you re-entered the US, was your I-94 ever removed? Or, you still have it in your passport?

Cheers,
ETL

I got a brand new passport and I applied for visa extension by mail, before I started the whole AOS process (no stamps in passport). The I94 was attached to the visa extension approval letter. I was supposed to detach it and staple it to the passport but I didn't. No questions asked when I left or re-entered the US.
For your peace of mind, when you travel, have your I94 with you (but not in the passport). If they ever ask for it you have it. (For what is worth, even when I was on work visa and traveled overseas I did not hand in my I94 - no issues).

Best regards,
rgm

Last edited by a moderator:
Greencard received!

Hi folks!

I'm here to report on the last step of my journey. Following the interview, my online status jumped to card production soon after (on the same day as interview), and then a dew days later jumped back to decision, and then proceeded to post decision and finally card/document production again. So, after the status jumped to the end, it then went back and completed each step in sequence as would be expected. I received the welcome letter, and a few days later I received the greencard in the mail! :D Very happy!!!!

I'm rather surprised how quickly and smoothly things completed in the end; from the day of the interview to receiving my greencard it was almost 2 weeks. My wife's status updated online exactly as mine did, but was delayed 3-4 days.

Immediately after I had the greencard, I notified my school of adjustment of status to permanent resident. Just yesterday, I went to the local Social Security Admin. office to apply for a replacement/new social security card (with work restrictions removed). I'm so happy to have completed this process...now can relax a bit and not worry about I-485's and interviews and I-20's and visas and...!!!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing their experiences and offering advice along the way -- it has been tremendously helpful. I'm going to keep checking-in and look forward to reading others success stories :)

Cheers, and best wishes,
ETL

Biometrics Notification :((

That is so unusual. Have you heard back from them Digitalspree?, Good Luck! and congratulations on your graduation!

-SA

Hello Strictly_analog and Koubiak

I have a question for you two.I tried to send private message but somehow it did not work.
I reviewed your signatures and noticed that you both have received late biometrics letter,is that right?
I am in a similar situation.It has been almost 2 weeks since I received NOA about acceptance. I am worried about biometrics... What did you do?How long did you wait for your bio letter?did you call USCIS regarding it?what do you advise me to do?
Please,any suggestion is appreciated..
Best
Japakak

Filing Fees Clarification

Some questions for DV winners who have successfully completed the AOS process (those at the interview stage or anyone else with the knowledge can please provide insights):

• Did you pay the $985 Filing Fee for Form I-485 (AOS Form)? plus the $330 DV processing fees?
  • Did you pay the $85 Biometric Fee in addition?
  • These fees are required for each dependent on one's application?

Rejection for the Third time need URGENT HELP

Hi every one I really need urgent help from every one of you friends

My application been rejected for the third time for the same reason which is " You have submitted a notice not authorized from DOS please check the www.dvlottery.state.gov "

I print the winning letter from the website with the date of 7/15/2011
I include also the letter from KCC when I ask them to do AOS they send me letter but without the logo only my info and the barcode so I think this letter the problem any one has any idea please
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad

Hi every one I really need urgent help from every one of you friends

My application been rejected for the third time for the same reason which is " You have submitted a notice not authorized from DOS please check the www.dvlottery.state.gov "

I print the winning letter from the website with the date of 7/15/2011
I include also the letter from KCC when I ask them to do AOS they send me letter but without the logo only my info and the barcode so I think this letter the problem any one has any idea please
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad

Why don't you give them a call, I remember in the beginning of this process you decide to go with CP and then you changed your mind to do AOS, "I'm just saying" so maybe there some glitch in their system when decide to go with AOS.

Anyway I hope other members with the experience help you out...

I wish everything will end up just fine with you.

Thanks Firasawad

Why don't you give them a call, I remember in the beginning of this process you decide to go with CP and then you changed your mind to do AOS, "I'm just saying" so maybe there some glitch in their system when decide to go with AOS.

Anyway I hope other members with the experience help you out...

I wish everything will end up just fine with you.

Thank you Brother Firas

I appreciate your help but i change from CP to AOS because i start new job in USA and i cant take long time vacation and i was afraid to go (AP) like you now some times take weeks sometimes months so i don`t want to take that risk but still there is hope i submitted again and if they rejected again i already talk with my attorney and he calm me down so he will take car of it in case if they rejected again .

Thank you Brother wish you the best

Thank you Brother Firas

I appreciate your help but i change from CP to AOS because i start new job in USA and i cant take long time vacation and i was afraid to go (AP) like you now some times take weeks sometimes months so i don`t want to take that risk but still there is hope i submitted again and if they rejected again i already talk with my attorney and he calm me down so he will take car of it in case if they rejected again .

I wish you the best of luck my brother and don't forget to keep me posted, OK!

Thank you Brother Firas

I got the same rejection letter with the following statements in bold:
- You have submitted a notice that is not authorized by DOS. For clarification please contact DOS at https://www.dvlottery.state.gove/ESC/
- (The dates on your letter from the KCC may not be correct. Please contact them for verification)

So I re-printed the letter that now shows 7/15 instead of 5/1 and re-sent all documents back with a cover letter that is basically saying:
I am re-submitting OAS application with the following correction: I went to DOS website and re-printed KCC notice letter. It now has the correct date July 15, 2011. It is authorized and verified by KCC.

I finally got the acceptance email the following week.

late application

sorry, edited not to do cross-post.

Hi everyone,
Today, I just learned that I was selected in DV-2012 lottery (Yes, 2012, not 2013). Somehow, I didn't learn it until today (long story). So, I am pretty late for the process. I read the webpage and most of this forum, but probably there wasn't anybody who started this process this late.

I am already in U.S. so, I will apply for adjustment of status. The webpage says that I have to get my green card before September 30, or I will loose my chance, so I am really worried about not being able finish it before the deadline. Bulletin status is CURRENT, so I can apply now.

First thing I did was going to the local USCIS as stated, but they told me to get an appointment, so I got an appointment for Monday morning. On the other hand I see that people have sent form (DS-XXX) to the KCC but the webpage says that I don't have to contact KCC, I should only go to the local USCIS office.

1-Do I need to send a form to KCC or just go to USCIS?

2-What shall I bring to USCIS for the first meeting, to make it faster?

3-What are the things that I can do to make the process go faster? (Are there documents or medical test or something that I can finish beforehand?)

4-Do you think that I can get it done before Sep 30?

Thank you for all the information on this forum, I learned a lot.

Worry not, you have time. I started my process in June.

There's no need to set up an appt with USCIS at this time. First get your forms out to KCC asap. You can follow the steps by visiting the DV2011 or DV2010 threads. USCIS will contact you when they schedule an appt for biometrics & interview.

Hi everyone,
Today, I just learned that I was selected in DV-2012 lottery (Yes, 2012, not 2013). Somehow, I didn't learn it until today (long story). So, I am pretty late for the process. I read the webpage and most of this forum, but probably there wasn't anybody who started this process this late.

I am already in U.S. so, I will apply for adjustment of status. The webpage says that I have to get my green card before September 30, or I will loose my chance, so I am really worried about not being able finish it before the deadline. Bulletin status is CURRENT, so I can apply now.

First thing I did was going to the local USCIS as stated, but they told me to get an appointment, so I got an appointment for Monday morning. On the other hand I see that people have sent form (DS-XXX) to the KCC but the webpage says that I don't have to contact KCC, I should only go to the local USCIS office.

1-Do I need to send a form to KCC or just go to USCIS?

2-What shall I bring to USCIS for the first meeting, to make it faster?

3-What are the things that I can do to make the process go faster? (Are there documents or medical test or something that I can finish beforehand?)

4-Do you think that I can get it done before Sep 30?

Thank you for all the information on this forum, I learned a lot.