• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 - AOS - step by step

Hello all,

I am trying to fill out form i485. I am on F1 status (not expired). What is my current USCIS status and expire date? Is it F1 and the date my visa is valid up to? or "student" and "duration of status".

thanks all.
F-1 student expiring on the date your I-20 is valid up to.

Things are finally

That's great! Is that DL good for a year too? Do call USCIS back and let us know what happens. Good Luck!

So the DL is valid for 6 month. It will expire when my current J-1 extension expire...

The good news of the day is that I received my IL. I am still surprise to not have gotten any appointment for the finger print though.

Does anyone as any clue when I should expect the EAD card?

That's really good news!

That's great! Have you ever been fingerprinted before by USCIS? (besides at port of entry) Maybe they went off of those prints.

Don't worry about your EAD, you will most likely get your GC before. 4/20 is less than a month away so hang in there my friend. Good Luck!

So the DL is valid for 6 month. It will expire when my current J-1 extension expire...

The good news of the day is that I received my IL. I am still surprise to not have gotten any appointment for the finger print though.

Does anyone as any clue when I should expect the EAD card?

AOS to chicago

Hi lucky friends:
Can anybody please tell me why most of the AOS packages are sent to Chicago? Shouldn't it be sent to local USCIS?

EAD Card/ Document Production

I did my biometrics yesterday and today the uscis website was finally updated. The EAD card is being produced.

Anyone has any experienced on the time to get it?

I am wondering because I want to start a new job but I want to be sure that my visa status stay lawful. I have a 2 weeks notice so even if I resigned now. I will still be lawfully under a J-1 visa for my interview (4/20).

What do you guys think?

Koubiak excited

I-485 interview date

Hi folks!

Just posting a little update on my experience. I completed the biometrics by "walk-in" ahead of the scheduled appointment. The "Application Support Center" (ASC) location in Los Angeles was very quiet, with nice security guards. It made for a very pleasant experience. I had to wait just a few minutes and then whole thing was completed very quickly. I did that late March, and a couple of days ago received my letter for I-485 interview on May 18th! Things seem to be going smoothly, no problems. I did file for "advance parole" document with my I-485 with hope to attend a conference at which I have work accepted, but I have not received the advance parole yet. I'm not sure how long that part of the process would take, but it doesn't seem like coming soon enough.

@Strictly_Analog: How are things for you? I guess you might have received your interview notice by now? It would be great to hear your update!

Best,
ETL

Interview Letter

Hello ETL,

I am glad you got your interview letter! Your case is going very smoothly :)

I have not received my interview letter yet. I did my biometrics as a walk-in as well back in March 6th (I was supposed to get them March 22nd). According to my attorney the Orlando Field Office is very busy and it usually takes 6 weeks after biometrics to schedule an appointment. I still have a week left so I should receive it any day now :). Good Luck on your interview!

-SA

Hi folks!

Just posting a little update on my experience. I completed the biometrics by "walk-in" ahead of the scheduled appointment. The "Application Support Center" (ASC) location in Los Angeles was very quiet, with nice security guards. It made for a very pleasant experience. I had to wait just a few minutes and then whole thing was completed very quickly. I did that late March, and a couple of days ago received my letter for I-485 interview on May 18th! Things seem to be going smoothly, no problems. I did file for "advance parole" document with my I-485 with hope to attend a conference at which I have work accepted, but I have not received the advance parole yet. I'm not sure how long that part of the process would take, but it doesn't seem like coming soon enough.

@Strictly_Analog: How are things for you? I guess you might have received your interview notice by now? It would be great to hear your update!

Best,
ETL

EAD card received

Good news for me, Me and my wife received our EAD card yesterday. For us the production was started the day after the biometrics appointment. We did not apply for advance parole which might have been a mistake. The future will tell.

We are now getting ready to interview on Friday while packing to move to California for a new job!

I am hoping that I am reaching the end of this stressful journey.

Good luck y'all!

Interview done!

So we had our interview this morning in Durham, NC. I was funny because I think interview are very rare now that the security was not sure what to do. They sent us up to wait in a big and empty waiting room.

Someone came and picked our interview letter. We waited 30 minutes until somebody came to tell us that they were ready. We (my wife, my 1-year old and I) went in a small room where we took an oath to tell the truth.

The first thing she asked was about our address. We explained that we were to move to California next week because I have a new job. So she took our new address.

The lady reviewed our papers and check our passport. She asked us about our different travel in the US and ask me why I had so many re-entry stamps. I explained that I was a researcher and I was going to a lot of conferences.

Finally she asked us the regular security questions.

And that was it. She said that she did not see any problem. She would review a last time our file and that it should take 4 to 6 weeks for us to receive our green card (supposing that a visa number was available which it is since we are current since February)

So now we have to start waiting again :)

Congrats!!

So we had our interview this morning in Durham, NC. I was funny because I think interview are very rare now that the security was not sure what to do. They sent us up to wait in a big and empty waiting room.
And that was it. She said that she did not see any problem. She would review a last time our file and that it should take 4 to 6 weeks for us to receive our green card (supposing that a visa number was available which it is since we are current since February)

So now we have to start waiting again :)

Congrats on your successful interview.
I thought they would do your interview because there was visa number available for you till that date right?
Can they entertain you with interview and later say, sorry visa number is finished?
I am really anxious because i have my BIO later on 4/20 and god knows when will I get interview....and if Visa number will still be available then?

Congrats on your successful interview.
I thought they would do your interview because there was visa number available for you till that date right?
Can they entertain you with interview and later say, sorry visa number is finished?
I am really anxious because i have my BIO later on 4/20 and god knows when will I get interview....and if Visa number will still be available then?

So there are cases when they accept an I-485 even when your number is not current (at least that happened in the past). So then they need to check that your visa number is current at the end of the process.

In my case I don't think this is an issue.

If you did not get an interview after 30 days of receiving your notification you should call and complain. They will try to do something then.

Good luck

You mentioned that they said you should get your green card in 4-6 weeks? that long?? i thought it only took between 1-2 weeks. Or is this specific to your case or something?

I finally got invited to an interview...after 90 days after the biometrics.

Im an F1 student, never worked, and the letter said i need to show proof of job and how much i make....except im not allowed to work unless on campus...but i do have an affidavit of support. Any ideas? Could they have made a mistake?

Visa number

So there are cases when they accept an I-485 even when your number is not current (at least that happened in the past). So then they need to check that your visa number is current at the end of the process.

In my case I don't think this is an issue.

If you did not get an interview after 30 days of receiving your notification you should call and complain. They will try to do something then.

Good luck

Hmm..thanks. Just to clarify, I am current in April. I will try to call them after a week or so if I don't hear anything after the BIO.

45 days for me

I finally got invited to an interview...after 90 days after the biometrics.

Thank you :). I am a F-1as well. I have been waiting for 45 days since the biometrics and no interview letter yet. I'll just keep on waiting. May I ask where is your Field Office?. Thanks

-SA

Hello guys
Just a quick question...
My husband and I just got our bio appointment letters. Is this normal that we are not on the same day? He is scheduled for wed and i m scheduled for thursday.
(I m the main applicant)
Thanks very much!

I live in denver co, so denver field office. I will visit the USCIS center and ask them about the emplyee thing to make sure its not a problem..i think they mistook me for applying for a green card through emplyment/job offer...i guess they forgot you can get it through the lottery also.

2012EUXXX145XX

Current in January

1/1/2012 Sent AOS package

1/13/2012 Confirmation received electronically

1/17/2012 Biometrics scheduled for 2/04/2012

2/04/2012 Biometrics cancelled due to bad weather so...

2/08/2012 actual biometrics date

4/19/2012 Interview letter

5/07/2012 Interview???

Green card???? aghh!!!

30 freaking days??? ughh...

Last edited by a moderator:
biometric appointments

Hi gkds52,

That's normal, I had a similar type of appointment late Wednesday and Thursday morning.

Actually you can go with him on Wednesday and tell them that you guys are related, they will take care both biometrics. They did for us very happily.

Hello guys
Just a quick question...
My husband and I just got our bio appointment letters. Is this normal that we are not on the same day? He is scheduled for wed and i m scheduled for thursday.
(I m the main applicant)
Thanks very much!

I live in denver co, so denver field office. I will visit the USCIS center and ask them about the emplyee thing to make sure its not a problem..i think they mistook me for applying for a green card through emplyment/job offer...i guess they forgot you can get it through the lottery also.

2012EUXXX145XX

Current in January

1/1/2012 Sent AOS package

1/13/2012 Confirmation received electronically

1/17/2012 Biometrics scheduled for 2/04/2012

2/04/2012 Biometrics cancelled due to bad weather so...

2/08/2012 actual biometrics date

4/19/2012 Interview letter

5/07/2012 Interview???

Green card???? aghh!!!

30 freaking days??? ughh...

Im from Romania, anyone else from Romania or nearby :)?

I haven't read any of your previous posts (if there were any).
I think visiting the USCIS is not worth as not many people there know much about the green card lottery. I went to ask questions and didn't help.
As for the interview, just relax and go to the interview whenever is scheduled. Do not stress to much about it. It is mostly yes no questions. Have the documents the interview letter mentions and you'll be fine. After that you'll receive the approval letters and the say the GC will follow in 30 days. I got mine after approx 4-5 days after the approval letters. Good luck. (from Ro too is that matters)

I haven't read any of your previous posts (if there were any).
I think visiting the USCIS is not worth as not many people there know much about the green card lottery. I went to ask questions and didn't help.
As for the interview, just relax and go to the interview whenever is scheduled. Do not stress to much about it. It is mostly yes no questions. Have the documents the interview letter mentions and you'll be fine. After that you'll receive the approval letters and the say the GC will follow in 30 days. I got mine after approx 4-5 days after the approval letters. Good luck. (from Ro too is that matters)

Cool, romanians are awesome! lol what was your EU number? im in the 15000's.