• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 - AOS - step by step

After biometrics

HI, does anyone know the answer to the following:

So i received a biometrics appointment for feb 3rd however when i went the office was closed due to bad weather so i went on the 8th when it was opened and the weather cleared up. My fingerprints were taken and all that but how do i know that my application is being processed and not considered abandoned because in the letter it said that if i missed the apointment it the AOS application would be considered abandoned. Anyone know how i could find out for sure if theyre still processing or i i need to remake another official biometrics apointment?

Does anyone know the typical waiting period between biometrics and an interview? Not from the official website, but from experience, looks like others recieved it from 7 days til 20 days estimated.

I seriously just trusted that they are doing something with my case. Did they stamp your bio letter with a stamp indicating that they did your bio?
After my bio, I never saw a change in my online case...I never saw a change even after I got the interview letter...it is still at "initial review" but the same thing has happened to each and every one of those who did DV2011. Nothing changed online till CPO hours or days after interview.

DV 12ers in US.....what is the WISDOM in having and responding/up-dating 2 concurrent DV2012-AoS threads????

ppl like me who has 'some wisdom' on the DV process may wonder which one to respond so most ppl would get best benefit.

Anyways, not my Grand Ma's prob...but just thought I would ask!!

Best!

Posted on other...

Hello makeiteasier,

How was your interview experience? is there anything we should be getting ready for? I hope everything is alright.

All the best,

Strictly_Analog
It ended well...please see the updates on the main DV2012AOS forum. Pretty long :)
Thanks for asking.

Update: I-485 in the mail!

Hello All!
I'd like to let you guys know that my application was accepted for adjudication!. I got my receipt email last week and my NOA in the mail!. I am very happy about this :)
Strictly_Analog

@Strictly_Analog: Was great to hear the positive outcome on this third attempt! I'm glad to read the ball is finally rolling for you after the odd beginning! I hope things continue to go smoothly for you!

DV 12ers in US.....what is the WISDOM in having and responding/up-dating 2 concurrent DV2012-AoS threads????
<snip>

@NuvF: No wisdom having two threads...I agree one thread would be most helpful. I actually posted in the other thread a LOOOONG time ago, suggesting all AOS posts be made to this thread as the other one was very quiet at the time...people ignored it and the other thread now has more "traffic". Possibly this thread should be "closed" with a note to post in the other thread as there is more activity there...

My Update:
Finally got my I-485 in the mail last Friday (2/24/12)!!! Woohoo! My case is current in March, and the documents will arrive at the USCIS office on Monday (2/27/12). I intended to submit a couple of weeks ago, but was too busy to sit down and go through everything very carefully before final submission. All done now and looking forward to the electronic receipt and NOA!

2 forums

DV 12ers in US.....what is the ... in having and responding/up-dating 2 concurrent DV2012-AoS threads????
Best!

May be we should request a moderator to combine DV 2012 AOS only and DV 2012 AOS step-by-step to one thread coz it appears that they are serving the same purpose, and then make the ONE a sticky. Not sure how to get an admin or moderator to do that though...anyone?

May be we should request a moderator to combine DV 2012 AOS only and DV 2012 AOS step-by-step to one thread coz it appears that they are serving the same purpose, and then make the ONE a sticky. Not sure how to get an admin or moderator to do that though...anyone?

I agree with you. Probably an e-mail to admin/moderators would work. They might not be reading every post.

Biometrics Appointment

Hello Guys, I just got my biometrics appointment for March 22nd! I am really happy right now. Things are running smoothly again :). All the best!

Also for the ones that are curious I got a code 3. Which means picture + 10 fingerprints + signature

I better get a haircut a couple of days before the appointment ;)

-Strictly_Analog

Last edited by a moderator:
Successful Walk-in Biometrics

Hello Guys!

I just had my biometrics done (picture, 10 fingerprints and signature). I was supposed to do them March 22nd but I decided to drop by the local ASC and do them today. A few hints for walk-ins:

-Try to do it just before they close: I arrived at the office at 3:40 pm (they close at 4) and the place was EMPTY. There where only 2 employees at the counter. One of them asked me what could he help me with. Once I mentioned biometrics he looked at the appointment notice and at my EAD card (from OPT). He was EXTREMELY nice throughout the process. He asked me for my passport (which has my full name on it) and asked me to take a seat and fill out a short form with my name, DOB, weight, etc.

-Try to relax. The second officer (a very nice young lady) took my actual fingerprints and had to redo the ones on my right hand twice. Apparently I was leaning to hard into the machine.

- Smile and be polite. I actually made a joke about how special I felt because I was the only client there at that time and both officers laughed out loud. They acted very professionally and politely throughout the whole process.

According to my attorney I should get an interview letter in 4-6 weeks depending on the FO schedule.

Good Luck to All!,

Strictly_Analog

Hello Guys!
I just had my biometrics done (picture, 10 fingerprints and signature). I was supposed to do them March 22nd but I decided to drop by the local ASC and do them today. A few hints for walk-ins:
<snip!>
Strictly_Analog

Hi Strictly_Analog! Good to hear your progress update, and the continued smooth progression. I received my e-notification (SMS + email) of I-485 acceptance yesterday; very happy about that! I'm waiting for the official documents now, and next is biometrics. I'm considering doing walk-in for biometrics too, but I'm wondering if there is anything extra you had to do to cancel your original appointment?

Could there be any complications from doing biometrics early? Or need to alert anyone that you've done it early?

Thanks, and hope you get your interview letter soon!
ETL

Early walk-in

Thank you!, congrats on getting your acceptance notice!

Don't worry to much about it. My attorney said it is fine. Once your data is inside the system your processing resumes.

Make sure that they stamp your original notice. the IO that took my prints stamped it with the date that I did my walk-in and signed it. This will serve as proof that you showed up. Good Luck!

All the best,

Strictly_Analog

Hi Strictly_Analog! Good to hear your progress update, and the continued smooth progression. I received my e-notification (SMS + email) of I-485 acceptance yesterday; very happy about that! I'm waiting for the official documents now, and next is biometrics. I'm considering doing walk-in for biometrics too, but I'm wondering if there is anything extra you had to do to cancel your original appointment?

Could there be any complications from doing biometrics early? Or need to alert anyone that you've done it early?

Thanks, and hope you get your interview letter soon!
ETL

@strictly_analog When did you finally get you EAD card?

I am still in limbo here... I called the USCIS because I am still waiting for my fingerprinting appointment and my EAD card. They seems to say that it was weird I did not get my fingerprint interview already... So they are filling a request for me... Processing time 2 more weeks... Overall I am not sure if that was useful to call as they did not informed me about anything.

Did someone have a good experience with the USCIS call center?

Cheers,
Pierre

EAD Card

Hello Koubiak,

I am sorry about the confusion. The EAD card that I used was actually my OPT card. I have F-1 status and I graduated in December so I applied for it just in case my number didn't become current in January (it did!). I got the physical card the week before I got my I-485 NOA :)

Hang in there. At least you were able to contact them. Appointment times vary depending on which field office you have. My FO (Orlando, Florida) usually schedules biometrics and interviews 4-6 weeks after. I got my bio notice in about 3.5 weeks from the date in which I got my I-485 NOA so it is good that you called them.

@strictly_analog When did you finally get you EAD card?

I am still in limbo here... I called the USCIS because I am still waiting for my fingerprinting appointment and my EAD card. They seems to say that it was weird I did not get my fingerprint interview already... So they are filling a request for me... Processing time 2 more weeks... Overall I am not sure if that was useful to call as they did not informed me about anything.

Did someone have a good experience with the USCIS call center?

Cheers,
Pierre

Thanks for the quick answer.

My current worry is what to do if I don't get my EAD card in the next 2 weeks. How should I play it? Should I get a lawyer to coach me on what to ask to understand why after 6 weeks nothing append?

One of the additional problem is that my driver license was up for renewal last month. When I renewed it I only received a paper version to leave time for the DMV to check my immigration status. After 2 weeks I received another temporary license that expires at the end of this week... I am hoping that they will send me my new license soon. Did that happened to someone here?

Overall I know that it is a waiting game but it is getting on my nerve I think.

This is thin!

My current worry is what to do if I don't get my EAD card in the next 2 weeks. How should I play it? Should I get a lawyer to coach me on what to ask to understand why after 6 weeks nothing append?

One of the additional problem is that my driver license was up for renewal last month. When I renewed it I only received a paper version to leave time for the DMV to check my immigration status. After 2 weeks I received another temporary license that expires at the end of this week... I am hoping that they will send me my new license soon. Did that happened to someone here?

These are very thin timelines, and in different circumstances I've been through them and since after my opt EAD expired, I've had to apply for something IN THE MEAN TIME as I hope for light at the end of the tunnel. When my tunnel got too thick, and there was no more oxygen, the Lord commanded that my name be selected for DV. I know and can feel where you are coz even after my second selection, my numbers were so high...really high but I had to bridge gaps (as I said, under different circumstances) fast before anything goes wrong (reason I filed in October when I will be current in May!)

About DL, you may Or may find another DMV easier but I don't know. The receipt for the i485 may help them give you a 15 months DL (FYI - I've had to renew my license every single year for the past 5 years...last year, the gave me one for 15 months for the first time (I went to a different DMV) and took my receipt for the i485 I had then (which was denied later) and my EAD which they did not ask for.

If it gets too tough, take $15 and 2 passport pictures to AAA near you and ask for an international drivers license. They will need your current license. They will give you a 6 months DL that can help buy some time. You were current last month and it's upsetting that ur aos was rejected mid may yet they knew that they wouldn't process you when you were current and finalize the same month! But what can we do? Some people here got their bio letters just days before their interview letters and did walk in bios. I saw someone whose bio was after the interview so they did bio walk in then interview as scheduled.

I hope something happens for you.

Dl

Hello Koubiak,

I would go to the DMV of your state with the I-485 NOA. It depends on which state you live. I live in Florida and I was able to get my license for one more year without any problem.

I personally don't think a lawyer would help. Your I-485 has already been accepted for adjudication so USCIS just has to schedule you in for biometrics and an interview so they can make a decision. It is up to you though. I would wait the 2 weeks to listen from them. Good Luck.

Thanks for all the reply.

I received my driver license today. So I will wait for the EAD card. I am still surprised it did not come yet. If I do not get anything in 10 days I will call back.

Like everyone else here I am crossing my fingers while waiting.

Good

That's great! Is that DL good for a year too? Do call USCIS back and let us know what happens. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the reply.

I received my driver license today. So I will wait for the EAD card. I am still surprised it did not come yet. If I do not get anything in 10 days I will call back.

Like everyone else here I am crossing my fingers while waiting.

i 485 instruction

Hello all,

I am trying to fill out form i485. I am on F1 status (not expired). What is my current USCIS status and expire date? Is it F1 and the date my visa is valid up to? or "student" and "duration of status".

thanks all.