• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

Hello guys,
I had my bio done on 1st of this month and I have been anxiously waiting for my interview letter. How long does it usually take to receive the letter after bio appointment? My field office is New Orleans if that helps.

Thanks

I think it really depends on case by case but on average from all the forum posting my assessment is about 50-55 Days from the date of your number being current.

What's next?

Hi everyone,

I received 2 documents from KCC today via email. One is a letter notifying that they have received my intent for AOS, another is a form to fill in when DV fee is sent.

On the notification letter on my intent for AOS, it states that, "To adjust to legal permanent resident status through the Diversity Visa program, you must file Form I-485 with your local USCIS Office." Although it states LOCAL office, I will still need to send my AOS package to the Chicago lockbox, is that right? One more thing, do I need to include the notification letter I just received in my AOS package as well?

As for the other form, it says, "in order to complete the payment of this fee, once USCIS has accepted your case, fill out the receipt form below...mail it along with your cashier's check, etc...for the correct amount depending on #persons adjusting for status. Include self-stamped, self-addressed envelope, in which this receipt stamped to confirm your payment will be returned to you. Present this receipt during your adjustment interview....."

But I had already sent in my DV fee with a similar form that is on the website (Name, Amount, Address, DV Case #). Mt money order has been cashed and I am waiting for the receipt. So what should I do next?

Thanks!

Now you just wait to hear back from DOS with the fee receipt. I did not use the form on the email either I used the one from the website so don't worry about that you are fine.
Check your package again and make sure that it is complete that's all you can do right now while you wait for the receipt.

Hi everyone,

I received 2 documents from KCC today via email. One is a letter notifying that they have received my intent for AOS, another is a form to fill in when DV fee is sent.

On the notification letter on my intent for AOS, it states that, "To adjust to legal permanent resident status through the Diversity Visa program, you must file Form I-485 with your local USCIS Office." Although it states LOCAL office, I will still need to send my AOS package to the Chicago lockbox, is that right? One more thing, do I need to include the notification letter I just received in my AOS package as well?

As for the other form, it says, "in order to complete the payment of this fee, once USCIS has accepted your case, fill out the receipt form below...mail it along with your cashier's check, etc...for the correct amount depending on #persons adjusting for status. Include self-stamped, self-addressed envelope, in which this receipt stamped to confirm your payment will be returned to you. Present this receipt during your adjustment interview....."

But I had already sent in my DV fee with a similar form that is on the website (Name, Amount, Address, DV Case #). Mt money order has been cashed and I am waiting for the receipt. So what should I do next?

Thanks!

ormatip gal/guy

Do not worry about "Local office" there; send everything to Chicago.

Once you receive the DV fee receipt, include a copy with your I-485 and send along with the notification letter you just received.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Do not worry about "Local office" there; send everything to Chicago.

Once you receive the DV fee receipt, include a copy with your I-485 and send along with the notification letter you just received.

Thanks for the clarification. The letter is confusing, since it also said, "You must submit the Diversity Visa (DV) "Notification Letter" printed from the Entrant Status Check website to the USCIS office nearest your place of residence in order to apply for adjustment of status"

Can't wait to get the receipt - I just want the I-485 AOS package out of my hands now :)

re-submit after rejection

Hi all

Can you please help me in this issue
I got my application I-485 rejected for filling early my case Number current in june but i send the application in 4/25/2012 and all the package return to me with along tiny stamp in all the pages with a TRN number (officer Number) and green sheet i suppose to put it in the top of package that i will resubmit my questions are:
1- Do i have to creat new package or i have to resend the same papers
2-Do i have to send the rejection letter I-797 with the package and put the Green sheet on the top or just send new packge as i am semding the first time

pleae advise

Thanks

Receipt Received!

Thanks for the clarification. The letter is confusing, since it also said, "You must submit the Diversity Visa (DV) "Notification Letter" printed from the Entrant Status Check website to the USCIS office nearest your place of residence in order to apply for adjustment of status"

Can't wait to get the receipt - I just want the I-485 AOS package out of my hands now :)

I got the DOS receipt this afternoon. Thought it was something fancy, but it was just the form I sent with a generic "received' stamp :rolleyes:
AOS package is going out on USPS Priority early tomorrow morning. It should get there by Monday. Fingers crossed :)

Interview done!

Dear AOS folks,

I'm happy to share further news ---- today I had my I485 AOS interview, and overall I can say it went great. My interview was at the Los Angeles USCIS field office in the morning. There was only one interviewing officer on duty (not sure if that is normal), so I had a wait just over an hour before being called. The interview was straight forward: take the oath, provide drivers license as ID, review of I-485 and confirm yes/no questions related to drugs/terrorism etc., they look at my masters diploma (not the transcript), and look at my I-20. They did not look at my passport, or original birth certificate, or the original DV letter stamped "PAID". I was not asked any questions about what I study, what school I go to, when do I graduate, etc. I had received an Advance Parole letter; they did not request this either.

I haven't mentioned here that I got married last year and my wife is an F-1 student also; we met at school some 4-5 years ago, and she did the AOS with me as a "derivative status" applicant. We were asked to show the marriage certificate. We had many other things to show regarding joint financial responsibility (bills, apartment lease, car insurance, bank accounts), but none of that was asked for! We also had a mini photo album of the wedding, and another of many photos over the years --- these were not requested either! The officer asked my wife what she does --- which school/program. The only document asked from my wife, was her ID!

Everything was over in about 10 mins! We were told to expect our "cards" in the mail within a few weeks! It was not much of a statement about the outcome/decision, and so my wife asked "Are our applications approved?" And we were told yes, they are approved!

Tonight, I received an SMS/email that my case status is updated on USCIS website, and when I check my I485 receipt number it says "Card/Document Production" (The status jumped directly to this from "Acceptance"). When I check my wife's I-485 receipt number it is still on "Acceptance" which I thought was a bit odd.

I have a couple of questions -- perhaps those with spouse who went through the process as derivative status applicant can help answer? :)

1. When the primary applicants status was updated to Card/Document Production, did the status for the derivative (spouse) applicant also update? Did it change at the same time, or later? I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about my wife's application.

2. The interviewing officer did not look at our passports, and did not take our I-94s. I've read that for other F-1 people the officer took the I-94 from your passport at the interview. Am I going to need to hand the I-94 in somewhere?

3. I also have an Advance Parole document, and the interview letter requests to bring it with me. I thought they might take this letter, but they didn't.

While things seem to have completed smoothly, I will be more relaxed when we both have our green cards! I will keep posting here with my news!

Cheers everyone, and best wishes to you on this journey.
ETL

Quick question re: interview letter

Guys i think i just received my interview letter for me and my husband. Mine is on june 6th at 10.30 am and husbands at 11 am. Are they going to interview us seperately or together?
I also just want to confirm the letter with you guys. Thsi letter is in this format: two columns and 5 rows, with the office location, date and time reason for appointment.....
Our date and time are highlighted with yellow marker.
Am soooo excited! So excited!
I hvent received my ead card yet.
Wish you all the best !

Congratulation ETL.

Hope, your wife's status will also be changed to Card Production soon. If there was any issue, IO should have brought up during the interview.

Our's status changed at the same time to the Decision and then Card Production; but we have been married more than 2 years and she was in H4 when she won dv lottery.

All the best,

Dear AOS folks,

I'm happy to share further news ---- today I had my I485 AOS interview, and overall I can say it went great. My interview was at the Los Angeles USCIS field office in the morning. There was only one interviewing officer on duty (not sure if that is normal), so I had a wait just over an hour before being called. The interview was straight forward: take the oath, provide drivers license as ID, review of I-485 and confirm yes/no questions related to drugs/terrorism etc., they look at my masters diploma (not the transcript), and look at my I-20. They did not look at my passport, or original birth certificate, or the original DV letter stamped "PAID". I was not asked any questions about what I study, what school I go to, when do I graduate, etc. I had received an Advance Parole letter; they did not request this either.

I haven't mentioned here that I got married last year and my wife is an F-1 student also; we met at school some 4-5 years ago, and she did the AOS with me as a "derivative status" applicant. We were asked to show the marriage certificate. We had many other things to show regarding joint financial responsibility (bills, apartment lease, car insurance, bank accounts), but none of that was asked for! We also had a mini photo album of the wedding, and another of many photos over the years --- these were not requested either! The officer asked my wife what she does --- which school/program. The only document asked from my wife, was her ID!

Everything was over in about 10 mins! We were told to expect our "cards" in the mail within a few weeks! It was not much of a statement about the outcome/decision, and so my wife asked "Are our applications approved?" And we were told yes, they are approved!

Tonight, I received an SMS/email that my case status is updated on USCIS website, and when I check my I485 receipt number it says "Card/Document Production" (The status jumped directly to this from "Acceptance"). When I check my wife's I-485 receipt number it is still on "Acceptance" which I thought was a bit odd.

I have a couple of questions -- perhaps those with spouse who went through the process as derivative status applicant can help answer? :)

1. When the primary applicants status was updated to Card/Document Production, did the status for the derivative (spouse) applicant also update? Did it change at the same time, or later? I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about my wife's application.

2. The interviewing officer did not look at our passports, and did not take our I-94s. I've read that for other F-1 people the officer took the I-94 from your passport at the interview. Am I going to need to hand the I-94 in somewhere?

3. I also have an Advance Parole document, and the interview letter requests to bring it with me. I thought they might take this letter, but they didn't.

While things seem to have completed smoothly, I will be more relaxed when we both have our green cards! I will keep posting here with my news!

Cheers everyone, and best wishes to you on this journey.
ETL

Bio

Good news gkds,

Sounds that your application goes smoothly. BTW How did your walk in bio go? Did they look at the date of your bio letter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Il

Im starting to worry because I still havent heard about the interview. It has been 5 weeks since the bio was done.Is it normal to take this much time? last week I talked to the KCC and they said that the uscis hasnt requested our files yet. and when we called the USCIS to ask about the case , they gave us the brush off "the case is being proccessed and we will ask you for aditional info if needed".
should we schedule Infopass?

thanks

Interview Experience

Today I had an interview which was pretty much straight forward: like asking for usual documents and perfunctory Yes/No questions from I-485 form, or things like DOB, parents name, Birth Certificate;
At the end she told me that everything looks fine and She informed me that my case will be Approved and took my I-94s, DV-fee paid receipt, Interview invitation letter and DV winner notification letter.
When I asked: don't I need my I-94 to travel anymore, she told me that once I receive my GC I won't and she also told me should I require to make an emergency trip before receiving my GC, DO NOT travel in the capacity of work visa(h1b), as of today your status is changed. So in any such emergency, she asked me to set up INFOPASS and a temporary VISA will be stamped.....Anyway I have no plans to travel in the immediate future.
I am really happy today...just waiting to change the Status online and receive the actual GC.
Thank you guys &
Good luck to all remaining AOSians.....

Congrats

Congrats singh

What a fast process. It took only 56 days for you to have your interview done from the date of I-485 submission. I guess it's a
record so far.

Time between Interview

Congrats singh

What a fast process. It took only 56 days for you to have your interview done from the date of I-485 submission. I guess it's a
record so far.

Thanks Joe, I think it is about normal time to have Interview between 50 - 55 days from the time of your I-485 Submission Provided Number being Current at the same time of Submission :)

Keep Waiting

Im starting to worry because I still havent heard about the interview. It has been 5 weeks since the bio was done.Is it normal to take this much time? last week I talked to the KCC and they said that the uscis hasnt requested our files yet. and when we called the USCIS to ask about the case , they gave us the brush off "the case is being proccessed and we will ask you for aditional info if needed".
should we schedule Infopass?

thanks

It is normal. It depends on how busy your Field Office is. Check the processing case time here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do . For an I-485 my FO takes 135 days from the first NOA to the application's decision. I have been waiting for my IL for 10 weeks now. My background check cleared though since I called the FBI and the Orlando Field Office has my file already. Keep waiting and Good Luck!

-SA

Fo

It is normal. It depends on how busy your Field Office is. Check the processing case time here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do . For an I-485 my FO takes 135 days from the first NOA to the application's decision. I have been waiting for my IL for 10 weeks now. My background check cleared though since I called the FBI and the Orlando Field Office has my file already. Keep waiting and Good Luck!

-SA

Thank you for the reply and the info. I just checked the website. The FO doesn't have a time frame but it has a date ( 20 oct 2011)
I'm not quite sure what it means.

FBI check

-SA

How do you check with FBI that your background check is cleared? Any phone number?

Interview time frame

So I checked the field office time frame ( Baltimore MD) and the time for processing I-485 applications shows a date (oct 20 2011) which is the date of the last case filed. It seems that they are backed up. Should I be worried that our application won't be processed before September ?