• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

fee

I was checking CIS website and I got confused. We have to pay $440 for DV fee to the Department of State. Should we also pay $1070 for filing i485 too?

mhamzeh

Yes, That is correct. You need to pay $440 to the Department of State before you pay the $1,070 to the USCIS. If you want to wait until April 13 or after to file your I-485, you will only need to pay $330 to the Department of State as immigration fees are changing effective April 13.

I was checking CIS website and I got confused. We have to pay $440 for DV fee to the Department of State. Should we also pay $1070 for filing i485 too?

CURRENT in JUNE

Very strange huh! Could be the appeal case of May1 2012 winners. I learnt 2% of those 22000 were actually random. This is so strange! Anyone with other thinking?

My personal feeling is that very few VISA number will be available after May/June; so any leftover/disapproved numbers will be made available to winner with number above 40500; so if you are doing CP and receive 2nd letter than you are lucky but anyone hoping to do AOS; I wouldn't put my hope high.....i don't think visa number will last that long.

I am in 32k and was stupid to do AOS; now I have put my chances of getting visa number available to me at 15%.

This is just my thought; I may be wrong :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status Message

When does the Case Status Message Change to "Initial Review" from Acceptance
OR
Does it not happen until Biometrics is done?

When does the Case Status Message Change to "Initial Review" from Acceptance
OR
Does it not happen until Biometrics is done?

In some cases it switches right around the time you get the bio appointment but the system is not really that reliable. In "DV 2011 AOS" thread, you will see that it many cases people's statuses did not change from "Acceptance" until it got to "Card Production".

F1 student important question

I am on F1 visa(not expired), my NOAs arrived last week. I was playing it cool until I saw a post in a website regarding F1 status and i-485. It says, once you file I485 your F1 is void so you are no longer authorized to work on campus without an EAD. I have been working on campus all along. Do I need to quit?

thanks

F1 & i-485

I am no immigration lawyer, but you are still a foreign student as long as you have not been officially granted permanent residence in the U.S. Applying for PR through I-485 does, however, show intent to immigrate, but wouldn't losing your on-campus work eligibility as a foreign student also mean tuition rates and other non-F1 formalities should also apply?

This is a very interesting question but please do not take my reply as THE answer to your query. I hope someone on this forum will supplement my post with a more viable answer. You might want to check with the international office in your school, too, or call the USCIS at the number you have on the NOA.

I am on F1 visa(not expired), my NOAs arrived last week. I was playing it cool until I saw a post in a website regarding F1 status and i-485. It says, once you file I485 your F1 is void so you are no longer authorized to work on campus without an EAD. I have been working on campus all along. Do I need to quit?

thanks

thanks
I was F-1 too and received my green card last month. Your F-1 visa is NOT void until your I-485 is approved. Even if your I-485 is denied (God forbid), your F-1 status is still valid as long as you have not used any benefits from the I-485 application such as using the I-485 EAD or so. Even if you applied for an EAD with your I-485 and you receive the EAD, your F-1 visa is still valid so long you have not activated that EAD (i.e. have not used the EAD in filling out an I-9).

I was also working on campus while my I-485 was pending. Once your I-485 is approved and you receive your green card, you need to go to your department or the HR department in your school to update your I-9. They will make you sign a new I-9 reflecting your new permanent status.

Bottom line... your F-1 is still valid and you do not need to quit your on-campus job. But as Amine said, we are not lawyers and we should not be held responsible for what we say here. Good luck!

I was F-1 too and received my green card last month. Your F-1 visa is NOT void until your I-485 is approved. Even if your I-485 is denied (God forbid), your F-1 status is still valid as long as you have not used any benefits from the I-485 application such as using the I-485 EAD or so. Even if you applied for an EAD with your I-485 and you receive the EAD, your F-1 visa is still valid so long you have not activated that EAD (i.e. have not used the EAD in filling out an I-9).

I was also working on campus while my I-485 was pending. Once your I-485 is approved and you receive your green card, you need to go to your department or the HR department in your school to update your I-9. They will make you sign a new I-9 reflecting your new permanent status.

Bottom line... your F-1 is still valid and you do not need to quit your on-campus job. But as Amine said, we are not lawyers and we should not be held responsible for what we say here. Good luck!

I am no immigration lawyer, but you are still a foreign student as long as you have not been officially granted permanent residence in the U.S. Applying for PR through I-485 does, however, show intent to immigrate, but wouldn't losing your on-campus work eligibility as a foreign student also mean tuition rates and other non-F1 formalities should also apply?

This is a very interesting question but please do not take my reply as THE answer to your query. I hope someone on this forum will supplement my post with a more viable answer. You might want to check with the international office in your school, too, or call the USCIS at the number you have on the NOA.

thanks guys, that's what I thought.

Photo ID- Biometrics

How many Photo IDs do I need to take with me during my BIO appointment. I felt the appointment letter was not quite clear about it.
Will one(Driver's license) Suffice? OR do I also need to take my Passport with me? Thanks

I would go with both Driver License and passport. I had both, but i was asked only for my passport.

So just passport was enough for me.

How many Photo IDs do I need to take with me during my BIO appointment. I felt the appointment letter was not quite clear about it.
Will one(Driver's license) Suffice? OR do I also need to take my Passport with me? Thanks

So i got my interview letter...but

I got the interview letter however on the letter its asking for any arrest records and a letter that i have a job and how much i make. How can they ask for this because im a F1 student and i never worked before? I ve been in school all this time...any ideas what i should do people?? is this the end? should i throw myself off a cliff now or wait...?

i forgot to mention...

That i have an affidavit of support already filled out and sent long ago...so its not like im gonna be a burden on the government. Im suppossed to graduate college this may so what do they expect??

That i have an affidavit of support already filled out and sent long ago...so its not like im gonna be a burden on the government. Im suppossed to graduate college this may so what do they expect??

I think you are good to go with affidavit of support.

you should be fine with an affidavit of support

So i went to USCIS and they told me that i shouldnt worry about what they checked on the paper, all will be okay, only if it applies to you.