• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

Interview Experience

This is my experience of my interview this morning at the field office in Santa Ana, CA. It's rather detailed, so I apologize if you think it's too much info:

My interview was at 7:30, but I arrived 15 mins late (which I know is stupid, don't tell me :) ). I put my appointment letter in the designated basket and took a seat. I waited for quite a while but I had no idea how long - there was no clock in the room and cell phones were prohibited. People that arrived after me were called before me. Finally, they called my name and I went in. There was two female officers that saw me, one was observing the interview and seemed to be in training. The other lady explained to me that I had to wait longer because I was late, so I missed my slot (so to anyone reading this: DON'T BE LATE for your appointment, it'll delay things). First, she wanted to see my passport and state ID. When she saw I only had a temporary paper driver's license, she wondered what state I was in before and how come I only got my CA license now. I figured I should be honest and told her I realize I should have done it sooner, but simply hadn't. We laughed about it, and overall she was very courteous and professional. Next, I was put under oath. She explained that DV cases have a different procedure than family or employment based status adjustments. She was just going to ask questions, and I should answer to the best of my knowledge. Further, she warned me that I might be offended by some of the questions, but they're required by law to go through this procedure, and it's nothing personal. Basically, she then verified the data on my I-485, name, address, DOB, nationality, parents' names, when I last entered the US (she verified this on the actual I-94), etc. and asked some of the other I-485 questions (espionage, if I support terrorism, etc.), all while writing on the form. Everything seemed fine. She looked through the rest of the package I had submitted, noticing the birth certificate and didn't really care about the rest. The only thing she wanted to see was my original high school diploma (which I had brought), asked me where I went to school (if in the US or abroad), and that was it. Didn't ask for anything else. She then checked to see if my visa number was current and said she has to order the green card but couldn't because she had to request my file from the KCC and would do it today (because the Dept of State file is the basis for my adjusting status - I think usually this is already done by the time you have your interview). Because of that, she can't make a decision on my case just yet but doesn't see any reason why I wouldn't get approved; everything looks good. I asked her how long I should expect to wait for the green card, and she said I'll most likely get it before the end of the year, worst case mid-January. Further, she didn't want to take my I-94 yet because of that reason. Lastly, she checked for any questions and then brought me to the door. The whole time she said things like how great it was that I'm a lucky winner, what my parents thought when I won, what my plans are for the future and that I could apply for citizenship in 5 years if I wanted. Really very nice. I was out of there by 9:30, so the whole thing took me less than two hours, despite being late. Otherwise I'm sure it would have gone a lot faster.

So now I think I might call the KCC to make sure they send my file. Other than that it was super smooth. My online status hasn't changed - I don't expect it to until they get the file. I'll keep you guys posted when something happens. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ocean 3,

Thank you for your report on the interview.
Do you know what kinds of documents should KCC provide to FO?
Is it DSP122?

Hello rgm_rc

On page 6 of I485 for my 4 year old daughter, I checked 2nd box.
I signed by using her name with (Father) and put my information as an interpreter.

best regards,

Max555

Hi Max,
Thanks for the info.

Good luck

Ocean: Thanks for sharing your interview experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Max555, thanks a lot, very helpful.
The medicals I did were for 485 through that specialized doctor - I was trying to get my GC through my employer at that time.

@Ocean3: Congrats! Very happy to read stories like that!

Ocean3 - Congratulations

It seems that you had a good interview, and congratulations on that. Hopefully your file will transfer sooner than later, and pretty soon you will be greened! Keep us updated!

Congratulations

yes!!!! I just received "acceptance" 10 minutes ago!!
I waited for 15 days!! I was wondering whether my package was lost or not...
But, it did not!

Here is email i have got for your info. You need to submit "g-1145" with i485 in order to
get "acceptance."
----------------------------
dear applicant/petitioner:

:d;)

Ocean 3,

Thank you for your report on the interview.
Do you know what kinds of documents should KCC provide to FO?
Is it DSP122?

Thanks guys! I'll let you all know when I have something new.

max555, yes they request the forms you submitted to the KCC. At least that's what the IO said yesterday ...

They give you a paper permit and they mail your license within 2-4 weeks. The paper permit is an acceptable and legal form of identification until then. That's how it works.

That is different, you just get the paper, not the actual permit, the same in Vermont

H4 holder traveling outside the US after sending AOS application

Hi everyone,

I need your help please with the following:

My wife is on an H4 visa valid until January 2013 and she is a winner of the DV 2012 lottery. A couple of months ago she purchased a flight ticket to travel to Mexico next week (returning on January 10th). Meanwhile a visa for our case number became available last week and so we plan to send our AOS package tomorrow.

Is it safe for my wife to leave the US after sending her I-485 application? Can her reentry to the US be denied due to her AOS application being pending? Can our AOS application be rejected due to her leaving the US? Or is it fine for her to travel outside the US since she is on a valid H4 visa that is not expiring until a year from now?

Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Hi everyone,

I need your help please with the following:

My wife is on an H4 visa valid until January 2013 and she is a winner of the DV 2012 lottery. A couple of months ago she purchased a flight ticket to travel to Mexico next week (returning on January 10th). Meanwhile a visa for our case number became available last week and so we plan to send our AOS package tomorrow.

Is it safe for my wife to leave the US after sending her I-485 application? Can her reentry to the US be denied due to her AOS application being pending? Can our AOS application be rejected due to her leaving the US? Or is it fine for her to travel outside the US since she is on a valid H4 visa that is not expiring until a year from now?

Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

If she leaves after she files the I-485, her application will be considered abandoned, unless she obtains advance parole. Even if she left and that way abandoned her AOS application but still had a valid H-4, they might not let her back in because filing an I-485 could be considered to show intention to immigrate. I would just file the I-485 after she comes back. If she comes back in January, she should still have plenty of time for the I-485 to be processed. Do you know when her case number is current?

Addoula

Generally your application will be abandoned, if you go outside of US after submitting I485.
However, according to I131 instruction, there is an exception.

You do not need to apply for advance parole if both conditions are met
A. You are in one of the following non-immigirant categories
H1, H4, L1, L2, K3, K4, V2,V3
B. Form I485 was filed on your behalf and is pending with USCIS.

But, I also think that it is better to wait until your wife comes back to US.
Actually I also encountered similar situations. I needed to travel abroad in mid Nov. I knew my number will be current in Dec on Oct 6.
I have valid L1 visa. So, theoretically, I could have submitted I485 on Oct 6. But, I decided not to.
I thought there is still a risk. If an immigration officer at the airport does not know the rule above, my application would be rejected.
So, I waited till I came back to US. That is why I submitted I485 on Nov 23.

regards,

Max

Addoula

Generally your application will be abandoned, if you go outside of US after submitting I485.
However, according to I131 instruction, there is an exception.

You do not need to apply for advance parole if both conditions are met
A. You are in one of the following non-immigirant categories
H1, H4, L1, L2, K3, K4, V2,V3
B. Form I485 was filed on your behalf and is pending with USCIS.

But, I also think that it is better to wait until your wife comes back to US.
Actually I also encountered similar situations. I needed to travel abroad in mid Nov. I knew my number will be current in Dec on Oct 6.
I have valid L1 visa. So, theoretically, I could have submitted I485 on Oct 6. But, I decided not to.
I thought there is still a risk. If an immigration officer at the airport does not know the rule above, my application would be rejected.
So, I waited till I came back to US. That is why I submitted I485 on Nov 23.

regards,

Max

Thanks much Max555 and Ocean3. Her case number is current in February. As Max said, I think it's wiser not to take any risks and send the AOS package when she comes back even though she is well within the rules. This is a once in a lifetime chance and it would be too stupid and heart-breaking if the application were to be abandoned because of something like this.

Thanks a lot again.

Yap! Unfortunately...abandoned without Advance Parole.

if she leaves after she files the i-485, her application will be considered abandoned, unless she obtains advance parole. Even if she left and that way abandoned her aos application but still had a valid h-4, they might not let her back in because filing an i-485 could be considered to show intention to immigrate. I would just file the i-485 after she comes back. If she comes back in january, she should still have plenty of time for the i-485 to be processed. Do you know when her case number is current?

ditto

fee

Thanks!
I sent $880 yesterday and my wifey is going to do her medicals on Thursday, so I hope everything will be OK.
Mine should work since it's been less than a year.
hi ,
could you explain me how did you sent your AOS fee?where did you sent it and how ?i heard i should fill a form do you have this form link ?our case #s are very close mine is eu21xxxx..now as I read at this forum FIRST i have to send AOS fee and then i will send a package to us which is have some forms right ?
thanks for your help..

send ds-122 and dsp-230 to KCC
still research for next step

Well, I just wrote a personal check for $880 payable to "US Department of state" and send it to:
US Department of state
Diversity Visa Program
P.O. Box 979079
St. Louis, Missouri 63197

You should get email from USCIS soon, there will be instructions.

Your case # is actually much better - from what I understand your number becomes current in February and some people say you can actually send your 485 package NOW.

P.S. Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still trying to figure out this thing out.

hi ,
could you explain me how did you sent your AOS fee?where did you sent it and how ?i heard i should fill a form do you have this form link ?our case #s are very close mine is eu21xxxx..now as I read at this forum FIRST i have to send AOS fee and then i will send a package to us which is have some forms right ?
thanks for your help..

send ds-122 and dsp-230 to KCC
still research for next step

Here is the list of things you may want to prepare before submitting I485.

1. Medical
Medical result is valid a year. So, even if your number is very high, you can start this process.
Sometimes it takes time, since we need to take vaccination.
In the past year forums, some of them posted how to get medical done in a cheap way.

2. Certificate of high-school diploma

Very interestingly, one of the eligibility of DV winner applicant is to graduate from "high school".
This is NOT graduate from "HIGHER" than high school education.
I think some of the applicants who submitted only university or master degree or Phd degree
diploma also eventually got green cards. But, in order to make the process smoother, it is better
to submit high-school diploma as well.
This is also very cumbersome, especially if your high school is located outside of US.

3. Marriage certificate

I do not think this is mandatory documents to submit. But, we submitted marriage certificate for my wife.

4. Bank statement in your own countries

Bank statement is also not a mandatory documents to submit. But, I just would like to emphasize that there is
less likely that I will be a financial burden to the US society. So, I provided bank statements, pay stubs,
employment status, W2 with my I485 package.
Getting bank statement from your home country bank is also cumbersome process.
I requested "English written" banck statement from my banks in my country. It took some time to get it.

ps. These are just my personal opinions, you may research by yourself and make a final decision which
documents you include with your I485 package.

Hope it helps.

best regards,

Max555

Here is the list of things you may want to prepare before submitting I485.

1. Medical
Medical result is valid a year. So, even if your number is very high, you can start this process.
Sometimes it takes time, since we need to take vaccination.
In the past year forums, some of them posted how to get medical done in a cheap way.

2. Certificate of high-school diploma

Very interestingly, one of the eligibility of DV winner applicant is to graduate from "high school".
This is NOT graduate from "HIGHER" than high school education.
I think some of the applicants who submitted only university or master degree or Phd degree
diploma also eventually got green cards. But, in order to make the process smoother, it is better
to submit high-school diploma as well.
This is also very cumbersome, especially if your high school is located outside of US.

3. Marriage certificate

I do not think this is mandatory documents to submit. But, we submitted marriage certificate for my wife.

4. Bank statement in your own countries

Bank statement is also not a mandatory documents to submit. But, I just would like to emphasize that there is
less likely that I will be a financial burden to the US society. So, I provided bank statements, pay stubs,
employment status, W2 with my I485 package.
Getting bank statement from your home country bank is also cumbersome process.
I requested "English written" banck statement from my banks in my country. It took some time to get it.

ps. These are just my personal opinions, you may research by yourself and make a final decision which
documents you include with your I485 package.

Hope it helps.

best regards,

Max555

thanks all you guys for help ..i really appreciate..today I want to sent the AOS fee (i know it's too late ) :) i wait until this that because that i read on this forum many people said my # is suppose to be appear at april ..whatever some people said still not let i hope its correct.know today my question is that Can i sent money with money check ?(i think i can get it from 7/11 or wal-mart ) because I just applied for a bank account.and Do you how long it takes to get this mail from USCIS which shows i send the money and they got it ?and also when they going to send me forms or are they going to send something to me ? and I also will go to the a doctor for medical today i think they already know what they gonna do if i say i need medical exam for GC Right ?
guys thank a lot.

2012eu00021xxx (md)

07/15/11 1st NL on the web

07/30 Sent DSP-122, DS-230, and Photos to KCC

12/20 plan to send fee today (i know it's too late ):)

Last edited by a moderator: