• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

Hello RoronoaZoro

I do not think financial evidence is required to submit. But, one of the criteria whether US government accept
DV lottery winners or not is to make sure that applicants will not be financial burden to the US society.
So, in the end, you need to prove that you will not be financial burden to society. At the interview, if you
are asked, you need to prove that there is little risk that you will be financial burden. If you do not have
enough savings and salary, you need to provide "Affidavit of Support."
How much information you will disclose at the time of I485 package is up to you. But, you need to
be prepared for potential questions at interview by preparing for pay stubs, tax info, and affidavit of support.

I am not a student, and this is just my opinion....I hope it helps.

thanks

Max555

Hi all,

I will need to send my AOS package in three weeks (Jan. 1) - I'm a bit confused about the exact documents that I need to send. It is mentioned in another thread that the required documents are the following:

But as a student, a lot of these do not apply. For example, Form I-765 (number 6), or number 8 or number 9!!

Also, do I need to provide Bank Statements? I work as Graduate Assistant, would that be enough - I can provide pay subs? How about Tax Return - I've been here for three years, I always filed but I'm not sure if I can find the documents so do I need to do that?

Can someone with same situation (F1 student) help.

Thanks

Hey guys,
I already PM'ed some of you, but I decided to post my questions here just in case somebody could answer.
My number is EU24xxx, so far I sent only DSP-122, 2 photos and got email from USCIS that everything is OK.

Can somebody explain what my next steps should be. I did not pay the $440. I hope it's not too late?
I was waiting for my number to become current (perhaps March) to start doing something, but apparently there are some things that need to be done beforehand.
I got my medical in April last year. So I have a sealed package from the doctor who was doing it.

What are my next steps? Maybe somebody has a link where it's described? Perhaps we should create some sort of FAQ once we get all our green cards so that people like me don't ask stupid questions :)

Thanks!

Hey guys,
I already PM'ed some of you, but I decided to post my questions here just in case somebody could answer.
My number is EU24xxx, so far I sent only DSP-122, 2 photos and got email from USCIS that everything is OK.

Can somebody explain what my next steps should be. I did not pay the $440. I hope it's not too late?
I was waiting for my number to become current (perhaps March) to start doing something, but apparently there are some things that need to be done beforehand.
I got my medical in April last year. So I have a sealed package from the doctor who was doing it.

What are my next steps? Maybe somebody has a link where it's described? Perhaps we should create some sort of FAQ once we get all our green cards so that people like me don't ask stupid questions :)

Thanks!

First of all, send the $440 to the DOS right away. Its not late, but to apply for I485 you have to have the receipt in hand.
As far as Medicals is considered after 12 months your medicals are considered to be expired. http://www.uscis.gov/i-693 - See last paragraph, so its better you do it again.

Some people say they can send the application after you see your number in visa bulletin, but I have seen application getting rejected even after they sent application after that. But as makeiteasier did above, she sent her application even though her number wasn't on visa bulletin, and got called for biometrics already. Its upto you to wait till the current month.

Get your receipt and your medicals ready, those are the most important ones to include in the application.

Hope it helped.

Tough Choices

Makeiteasier

Thank you for your reply! I've read DV 2011 AOS only and DV 2010 AOS only. Some who submitted before Visa bulletin released were sometimes rejected and had to pay for the application fee twice. So, there is a risk to submit I485 before visa bulletin release.

ps. I have waited for NOA for almost 2 weeks since I485 was delivered on Nov 28 (mon)... and have not heard back yet...
It is tough to wait...

Yes, I saw one or two people who were rejected.. in both 2010 and 2011 combined (for filing early. otherse were rejected for other reasons) and most of who had to wait for so long before they got their interview dates. The best case scenario would be to wait, but it would be better to pay TWICE after being rejected and REMAIN in status/being processed, than keep waiting and loose your status which completely complicates things...trying to process for a greencard when you are out of status????????????? Better to pay twice in my opinion...but only a minimal percentage gets rejected. When one decides to do it early, there is always the chance that it could go through, or could be rejected and that is a risk that some would be willing to take when there are no more options around staying in status.

To Ocean3: Wishing you the best on Wednesday! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Thank you!! I got my CA driver's license today so I no longer have to worry about having an out-of-state ID. I'm a bit anxious but it should be all ok! I'll post about it tomorrow.

license

Thank you!! I got my CA driver's license today so I no longer have to worry about having an out-of-state ID. I'm a bit anxious but it should be all ok! I'll post about it tomorrow.

How do you get license in one day in California , when you are not a resident, this is weird.

How do you get license in one day in California , when you are not a resident, this is weird.

They give you a paper permit and they mail your license within 2-4 weeks. The paper permit is an acceptable and legal form of identification until then. That's how it works.

YES!!!! I just received "Acceptance" 10 minutes ago!!
I waited for 15 days!! I was wondering whether my package was lost or not...
But, it did not!

Here is email I have got for your info. You need to submit "G-1145" with I485 in order to
get "acceptance."
----------------------------
Dear Applicant/Petitioner:

Your USCIS application/petition has been received and routed to the National Benefits Center for processing. Within 7-10 days by standard mail you will receive your official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) with your Receipt Number MSCXXXX. With the official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) you may visit www.uscis.gov where you can check the status of your application using My Case Status. We suggest you wait until you have received your Form I-797 before checking My Case Status.

Thanks!
I sent $880 yesterday and my wifey is going to do her medicals on Thursday, so I hope everything will be OK.
Mine should work since it's been less than a year.

First of all, send the $440 to the DOS right away. Its not late, but to apply for I485 you have to have the receipt in hand.
As far as Medicals is considered after 12 months your medicals are considered to be expired ... - See last paragraph, so its better you do it again.

Some people say they can send the application after you see your number in visa bulletin, but I have seen application getting rejected even after they sent application after that. But as makeiteasier did above, she sent her application even though her number wasn't on visa bulletin, and got called for biometrics already. Its upto you to wait till the current month.

Get your receipt and your medicals ready, those are the most important ones to include in the application.

Hope it helped.

Questions on I-485 and G-325A forms

Hi everyone,

My wife who is on an H4 visa was selected in the DV 2012 lottery and her case number (31xxx) is below the allocation cut-off number (32,000) for Africa for February (in the advance notification section of the visa bulletin) so we plan to send our AOS package in the next few days.

We would like to know which application type to choose in Part 2 of my wife's I-485 form. We thought option 'a' at the beginning but then I read somewhere online to choose option 'h' and then indicate "DV 2012 Lottery winner" in the explanation section. So which option have DV Lottery winners been choosing?

Also what application type option should I choose on my form? Is it option 'b'?

We also have a question about form G-325A. Should we mention all the addresses we've been residing in (inside the US and outside) for the last five years even if we resided in some of them for only 2 to 3 months?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi everyone,

My wife who is on an H4 visa was selected in the DV 2012 lottery and her case number (31xxx) is below the allocation cut-off number (32,000) for Africa for February (in the advance notification section of the visa bulletin) so we plan to send our AOS package in the next few days.

We would like to know which application type to choose in Part 2 of my wife's I-485 form. We thought option 'a' at the beginning but then I read somewhere online to choose option 'h' and then indicate "DV 2012 Lottery winner" in the explanation section. So which option have DV Lottery winners been choosing?

Also what application type option should I choose on my form? Is it option 'b'?

We also have a question about form G-325A. Should we mention all the addresses we've been residing in (inside the US and outside) for the last five years even if we resided in some of them for only 2 to 3 months?

Thank you very much for your help.

h and mention "DV Lottery winner; Letter attached" (see the I485 instructions)
If they ask for the addresses in the last 5 years I would put them all. Why not?

Good luck

h and mention "DV Lottery winner; Letter attached" (see the I485 instructions)
If they ask for the addresses in the last 5 years I would put them all. Why not?

Good luck

Thank you very much.

How about me? What option do I choose on the I-485 form? Is it option 'b'?

Thank you very much.

How about me? What option do I choose on the I-485 form? Is it option 'b'?

I used h on my wife's and mentioned: "Dependent of DV Lottery winner. Letter attached". Now that I read b makes sense too. I asked here if anybody has a better suggestion. Didn't get an answer. I'd wait a bit to see if anybody else chimes in.

I checked H for myself with a comment of "DV 2012 winner" based on I485 instruction.
I checked B for my wife and daughter, since I read a thread that some of them did so in 2009 and 2010.

thanks,

Max555

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Max,

Now I have a question regarding I485 for kids - page 6 with signatures. Did you check the 1st box on the top and YOU signed for your daughter or you checked the 2nd box and YOU signed as an interpreter. My son is 8 yo.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
I chose h on both because none of us have a visa yet. we both qualified as DV lottery winner, not adjustment of status due to spouse's status.

Hello rgm_rc

On page 6 of I485 for my 4 year old daughter, I checked 2nd box.
I signed by using her name with (Father) and put my information as an interpreter.

best regards,

Max555

Isalmon

>Mine should work since it's been less than a year.

As you may already know, we need to submit I-693 as a medical checkup.
So, it is not just a usual medical checkup. We need to take necessary vaccination
and a doctor need fill out I-693 and make a sealed envelope.
Also, only "Civil surgeons" are allowed to fill out I693. So, you need to find out
which Civil surgeons are located near your house.

Regarding I485 package submission timing, at least on DV 2010/2011 AOS only forum,
common practice is as follows.

For example, for DV2011 winners (our previous year)
+Everyone need to wait till Oct 1st 2010 to be delivered
+Most of the applicants submitted I485 after their number is current on Visa Bulletin
(typically, 5-7 th of the month (2 month ago).
So, for example, on Nov 5th, you know your number will be current in Jan next year.
And you can submit I485 after Nov 5th)
+Many applicants have done biometrics even before current month
+Typically, applicants took interviews after current month started

Some also said that actual guideline for immigration officer is "to accept DV lottery
winners' application anytime (even before visa bulletin release)." However, it seems
that this rule is not common among immigration officers. So, I saw some applicants got
rejected because they sent I485 before the visa bulletin. But, as an exception, sometimes
I485 submission got accepted before visa bulletin.

Hope it helps.

best

Max555