• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

Need Help!

Hello all:

I am one of the lucky DV-2012 lottery winners.

Case number was current as of 6/1/2012.

Chicago Lockbox received my I-485 on 6/1/2012.

7/5/2012 - Received a phone call from the local USCIS office asking to appear for the visa interview on 7/6/2012.

7/6/2012 - Letter received from USCIS with Biometrics date (7/27/2012)

7/9/2012 - Attended the interview.

Later on, on 7/9/2012 - The USCIS office sent me to the local Application Support Center (ASC) for fingerprints. Fingerprints done.

Now it is the wait as I was informed.

It will be great if someone could help me with the following.

1) I browsed through this forum and almost all had their biometrics taken roughly a month before the interview. Since in my case, both interview and biometrics were done the same day (with interview preceding the biometrics :( ), would you advise me what the wait could be? A month? or Two? or Do I have chances to get the plastic GC by Sep 30, 2012?

2) I checked with the USCIS office during my interview (7/9/2012) if I get EAD before the GC. I did not get a clear answer on that. Is it so that an EAD is issued to the applicant (DV lottery winner) before the actual GC is issued?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Hello all:

7/5/2012 - Received a phone call from the local USCIS office asking to appear for the visa interview on 7/6/2012.

Later on, on 7/9/2012 - The USCIS office sent me to the local Application Support Center (ASC) for fingerprints. Fingerprints done.

1) I browsed through this forum and almost all had their biometrics taken roughly a month before the interview. Since in my case, both interview and biometrics were done the same day (with interview preceding the biometrics :( ), would you advise me what the wait could be? A month? or Two? or Do I have chances to get the plastic GC by Sep 30, 2012?

2) I checked with the USCIS office during my interview (7/9/2012) if I get EAD before the GC. I did not get a clear answer on that. Is it so that an EAD is issued to the applicant (DV lottery winner) before the actual GC is issued?

If all your documents are in order and your biometrics comes back good. then you should not wait long before your case is approved. The biometrics usually come back in couple of days. My guess is you should get a decision back before August 15.

If August 15th comes and you dont hear anything from USCIS and you dont see your case status moving then go for an infopass right away.

Do I have time to apply? Selected on a E-3

Hi,

I received an email four days ago saying to check my 2012 DV lottery status, so I did and it said I was selected. I am currently in the US working on an E-3 visa which is coming to an end May 2013. I have wanted this for so long, and now I am finding out I may be too late to apply? Anyone know if I should try as I was told I am putting my E-3 status at risk. I don't know why I was only contacted now and not earlier! My case number 2012OC000009XX I read that I should send in my DS-122, I have it all ready I just don't know if its too late to file and how do I know if my case number is open to fill out the green card application.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I am a nervous wreckk.

-ig

If all your documents are in order and your biometrics comes back good. then you should not wait long before your case is approved. The biometrics usually come back in couple of days. My guess is you should get a decision back before August 15.

If August 15th comes and you dont hear anything from USCIS and you dont see your case status moving then go for an infopass right away.

Thank you very much, as44xxx. Appreciate that. So, the question of EAD doesn't arise at all, right?

Thank you.

New Winners?!!

Hi,

I received an email four days ago saying to check my 2012 DV lottery status, so I did and it said I was selected. I am currently in the US working on an E-3 visa which is coming to an end May 2013. I have wanted this for so long, and now I am finding out I may be too late to apply? Anyone know if I should try as I was told I am putting my E-3 status at risk. I don't know why I was only contacted now and not earlier! My case number 2012OC000009XX I read that I should send in my DS-122, I have it all ready I just don't know if its too late to file and how do I know if my case number is open to fill out the green card application.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I am a nervous wreckk.

-ig

It seem that they are opening the batch of hidden winners for 2012 due to the computer problem which occurred on May 2011!
MarianXXX send your application as soon as possible, don't worry. many people who win the dv lottery are living in the US under non-immigrant visas! therefore don't worry and take your chance!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have time!

I agree with rainy, you should go ahead and apply. There are a few people in this thread who noticed they were selected after the lottery results as of May '11 were nullified (due to a computer glitch) - myself included.

You have enough time and you should apply. It also looks like not many DV visas are being used up this year so you have a real chance.

Go through the forums, there's a wealth of information here that you should guide you through the next steps.

Good luck :)

It seem that they are opening the batch of hidden winners for 2012 due to the computer problem which occurred on May 2011!
MarianXXX your application as soon as possible, don't worry. many people who win the dv lottery are living in the US under non-immigrant visas! therefore don't worry and take your chance!

Same situation

It looks like I might end up in a similar situation. I've got an interview appointment for the first week of August and so far no appt. for Biometrics.

Keep us informed on how your case progresses.

Hello all:

Update

Hello Guys,

Thank you all for your kind words. I haven't been able to follow the forums for a week since I went to NYC for a music festival and to celebrate my new LPR status :)

USCIS has been sending me emails almost daily after my interview in July 9th. Here is an overview of them:

July 9th: Case Status: Card Production Ordered // Card was ordered to be made
July 10th: Case Status: Decision // Welcome letter on the mail
July 12th: Welcome letter arrives on the mail ;)
July 13th: Physical GC is in-transit :D

I am checking my mail obsessively for the Card :). I will let you know once it arrives. I wish you guys all the best with the rest of the process. Hopefully we will all be Green soon!

-SA

Last edited by a moderator:
gnosis icheren

Hi everyone I'm one of those people that *just* got notified for the *2012* program, like in the last 4 days! I am also on an F-1 student visa, I understand need to send my DSP-122 form and 2 photos to KCC right away, I can't see the USCIS for weeks so that's not going to happen, at what point to I pay the adjustment fee, before or after I send my first DSP-122 form? I'm really confused, It appears I send them to 2 different places. Please help I only have a couple of months for the entire process.

Thank you kindly.

Jacob

*edit* I typed my captcha in the subject line, ignore :S

Look through the last two pages of this thread - one of the forum members was kind enough to list out the steps you'll have to go through. It was in response to another person in the same boat as you who just found he/she is eligible for DV2012.

You still have time to get your GC, so don't worry and get your application out as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Hi everyone I'm one of those people that *just* got notified for the *2012* program, like in the last 4 days! I am also on an F-1 student visa, I understand need to send my DSP-122 form and 2 photos to KCC right away, I can't see the USCIS for weeks so that's not going to happen, at what point to I pay the adjustment fee, before or after I send my first DSP-122 form? I'm really confused, It appears I send them to 2 different places. Please help I only have a couple of months for the entire process.

Thank you kindly.

Jacob

*edit* I typed my captcha in the subject line, ignore :S

Thank you everyone!

MarianXXX your application as soon as possible, don't worry. many people who win the dv lottery are living in the US under non-immigrant visas! therefore don't worry and take your chance!

Thank you for getting back to me, I was losing hope, but I just sent in my DSP-122 to KCC today. I made an appointment with my local UCSI office to talk to them about it all but maybe I jumped the gun?!

I will keep you all updated on my progress.

Thanks again to all contributors here, it had been so helpful!

Minto64 and Mokkha, Thank you for instructions. I crossed my fingers and started the process.
marianaiggs, I am on the same boat. I just learned it after one year and immediately started the process this Saturday.

-I mailed KCC on saturday using fedex, they will get it today.
-I mailed the 330$ fee with stamped returning envelope via USPS express, they should get it tomorrow.
-I arranged a meeting with a civil surgeon for wednesday. They said it will be 280$. (Another doctor said 590$).

I had an appointment with local USCIS office, and they basically kicked me out, saying they have nothing to do with the process. but, they gave me the forms, so it was useful. I told them that I came there just because it was said on the DV-2012 website. Anyways, I have the forms now.

If everything goes well, I am planning to ship the package with fedex express on Friday.

One question: Since I don't have my high school diploma, I will send my college and master's degree diploma (copies). And a transcript. I hope that they will accept these instead of high school diploma.

We will see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

I will let you know about the progress.

Thank you for getting back to me, I was losing hope, but I just sent in my DSP-122 to KCC today. I made an appointment with my local UCSI office to talk to them about it all but maybe I jumped the gun?!

I will keep you all updated on my progress.

Thanks again to all contributors here, it had been so helpful!

college and master's degree diploma (copies). And a transcript are ok

and get your high school diploma ready for the interview

Minto64 and Mokkha, Thank you for instructions. I crossed my fingers and started the process.
marianaiggs, I am on the same boat. I just learned it after one year and immediately started the process this Saturday.

-I mailed KCC on saturday using fedex, they will get it today.
-I mailed the 330$ fee with stamped returning envelope via USPS express, they should get it tomorrow.
-I arranged a meeting with a civil surgeon for wednesday. They said it will be 280$. (Another doctor said 590$).

I had an appointment with local USCIS office, and they basically kicked me out, saying they have nothing to do with the process. but, they gave me the forms, so it was useful. I told them that I came there just because it was said on the DV-2012 website. Anyways, I have the forms now.

If everything goes well, I am planning to ship the package with fedex express on Friday.

One question: Since I don't have my high school diploma, I will send my college and master's degree diploma (copies). And a transcript. I hope that they will accept these instead of high school diploma.

We will see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

I will let you know about the progress.

Congratulations!

Congratulations! It is a GREAT feeling. I can't thank the people in this forum enough either. They really helped make a lot of sense of the legalese of the DV program and how it works. It took almost a year for me from start to finish. I found out I was selected on July 15, 2011 and got my Welcome Letter July 12, 2012.

I hope we can all meet up again 5 years from now when we start the process to become U.S. Citizens! All the best to you.

Peace,

-SA

guys we got our cards in the mail yesterday. it's so unbelievable and exciting that how quick all happened. we learned that we are selected on july 15 2011, and after two weeks we actually realized that we had to wait till atl least may june to apply... then we were super duper sad thinking that we would never get the card on time..... then luckily dv numbers went really fast this year, and our process started on april 16 and received the card on july 12th!

you friends helped us save a minimum of 2000$ over this journey, with your guys' help we didnt hire a lawyer and saved that 2000$ to ourselves. I really thank you all of you and wish all the other friends best of luck!

I hope someday we'll meet somewhere and I promise I'll buy you guys a lunch or a dinner as a thank you during this journey!

Have a nice rest of your summer guys!

gkds52

Thank you very much, as44xxx. Appreciate that. So, the question of EAD doesn't arise at all, right?

Thank you.

If all your documents are in order then getting the GC will not take long as i told you maybe a month max. therefore you really dont need an EAD becuase it most likely will take as much time to produce or longer. all you need is your GC and you will be GOLD.

Biometrics Appt Recvd

Just received the appt for biometrics on 08/09.

It looks like my interview which is scheduled for 08/08 will happen the day before biometrics.

Any 2012 winners got their GC without an interview?

DV2011 and DV2010 had a few cases that got their GC approved without having to go through an interview...

I was wondering if anyone of the DV2012 winners had the same happen to them?????

If all your documents are in order then getting the GC will not take long as i told you maybe a month max. therefore you really dont need an EAD becuase it most likely will take as much time to produce or longer. all you need is your GC and you will be GOLD.

That is so relieving to know. Thank you very much for sharing the information, as44xxx.

Thank you.

Traffic Ticket

Guys,

I know this has been asked before but just wanted to see what people here think. I got a traffic ticket a few weeks back for speeding - does it make sense to clear it (pay/traffic school etc.) before going for biometrics or does it not matter?

Thanks!