• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Winners Report Here!

On which occation can one start medical before receiving the 2nl

also why does some people receive there 2nd NL by email

do you have to attach your photo to the form or just put it in the envilope (form 230)

thanks

i realised some people received there first NL same day in Nigeria, i mean the day it was dated and received. i belive this is also by email. but on which occation deos this happen. i have email the person but he did not reply

thanks

Hello Guys!
i've been reading your posts for the last couple of days now.
I have a question:
When I applied online for dv2011 during october, I gave my address at which i was living at that time. 3 months later, I moved to another place on the same street. I have an address forward service from usps (the regular one, for which you fill a form to request a forward mail service).

Does usps forward these notification letters?
Do you think the people who currently are living in my previous address might receive the NL, if I'm selected?
Or are these NL envelopes just returned back by the post office to KCC?

thank you!!

Does usps forward these notification letters?
Do you think the people who currently are living in my previous address might receive the NL, if I'm selected?
Or are these NL envelopes just returned back by the post office to KCC?

thank you!!

You shouldn't be worried about usps. Your NL will be treated just as any other letter, so usps will (or should) address your NL properly. Unless there is a mistake, there is virtually no chance for the tenants at your previous address to receive your NL. Hence, you should be fine.

I received my notification letter a month ago. I live in the U.S already with my family on an F-1 visa and my wife has H-1B. My number is .....xxxx..42, people say it's a good number. (1). My question is how do i go about filing for the Green Card? (2). How much do lawyers charge as fees to do this? (3). When should the petition be filed? Thanks all. Alex

Eligibility

Hi,

I just won the lottery!
I understand that I can elect elegibility based on High School Education or Work Experience. Is there any advantage to using Work experience over high school education? i.e do they assign different GC categories based on the option one chooses?
In other words, if I can qualify based on either, is it more beneficial to use one over the other?

Thank you!

DV for F1 student in the US

Hi guys,

I recently got a letter from KCC about my DV selection. My case number is not so good. It is in the range of 25000. More than that I have few questions that needs to be clarified if anyone of you could.

First of all, I go to college here in the US with F1 visa status. to my knowledge, there are two options I can follow, Consular services in my home country or Adjust of status. So,

1. Is it true that once I fill out my DS-230, my F1 visa will be nullified due to my intention to immigrate, even if I donot end up getting the second letter?? Because, I am worried due to my case number which is in the range of 25000, I might not even get the second letter.

2. In case, I decide to do the AOS, do you think my case number can be current by september of 2011? In it doesn't that I would be in big trouble, without my f1 visa.

3. Which options should i go with, DS 230 or AOS?

I am hoping for some suggestions

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I recently got a letter from KCC about my DV selection. My case number is not so good. It is in the range of 25000. More than that I have few questions that needs to be clarified if anyone of you could.

First of all, I go to college here in the US with F1 visa status. to my knowledge, there are two options I can follow, Consular services in my home country or Adjust of status. So,

1. Is it true that once I fill out my DS-230, my F1 visa will be nullified due to my intention to immigrate, even if I donot end up getting the second letter?? Because, I am worried due to my case number which is in the range of 25000, I might not even get the second letter.

2. In case, I decide to do the AOS, do you think my case number can be current by september of 2011? In it doesn't that I would be in big trouble, without my f1 visa.

Thanks!

Congratulations! I think your chance of getting a gc, as well as through which process to go, depend on your region. By the way, when did you receive the letter?

Hi guys,

Thanks!

dvcrazy,
answers to your q's ...
1. no, sending in your ds230 does not negate your f1 status. it will help if we know your region besides your cn.
2. depends on your cn, normally they will make all regions current by sept. to decide whether to aos or cp it depends on when your f1 expires and when you can file i485.
3. only you can decide after considering where you stand with your visa and your cn.
i suggest you read past threads ... there is a wealth of information here. i'm sure after reading you will be able to make an educated decision how to proceed next.
good luck.

I received my notification letter a month ago. I live in the U.S already with my family on an F-1 visa and my wife has H-1B. My number is .....xxxx..42, people say it's a good number. (1). My question is how do i go about filing for the Green Card? (2). How much do lawyers charge as fees to do this? (3). When should the petition be filed? Thanks all. Alex

alexgilliamjr,
congrats to your selection and your low cn!
the procedures are pretty detailed in the stickies to this forum - 2009 aos only, 2010 aos only. if you read blue's post in the 2010aos thread he listed the links where you can read more about the process. most of us are doing it ourselves without lawyers. it is pretty straight forward. i have checked some lawyers on their fees and they range from $1500 to $3000 per person excluding costs. and it adds up if you have a complicated case and need him to go interview with you.
first you need to send back you ds122,230 ... read the instructions on first nl. pay $375 per person dos fee. then assemble all you need for i485. you will need to prepare early 'cos you will be current in october.
good luck.

Congratulations! I think your chance of getting a gc, as well as through which process to go, depend on your region. By the way, when did you receive the letter?

Hi again,

I am Asia (tons of ppl apply each year). I went through visa bulletin of the last 3 years, This year for June the cut off for Asia is 19550, last year for July it was 30000, and year before it was 13400. I am pretty scared since mine is 25000. Do you know what "Current" mean?

I really don't know if I should to the adjustment or Consular. If I can adjust by september 2011, I won't get it. I have read stories of ppl who tried to adjust and was not successful. and ended losing their F1 too.

I got the letter posted on May 3.

dvcrazy,
answers to your q's ...
1. no, sending in your ds230 does not negate your f1 status. it will help if we know your region besides your cn.
2. depends on your cn, normally they will make all regions current by sept. to decide whether to aos or cp it depends on when your f1 expires and when you can file i485.
3. only you can decide after considering where you stand with your visa and your cn.
i suggest you read past threads ... there is a wealth of information here. i'm sure after reading you will be able to make an educated decision how to proceed next.
good luck.

Ok, I am from Asia.
I still have 3 more years in my visa expiration.
One concern I have is my CN which is around 25000. Therefore, if I cann't get the AOS within sept 2010. I will be in trouble with my F1 too.

What do you think?

Hi again,

I am Asia (tons of ppl apply each year). I went through visa bulletin of the last 3 years, This year for June the cut off for Asia is 19550, last year for July it was 30000, and year before it was 13400. I am pretty scared since mine is 25000. Do you know what "Current" mean?

I really don't know if I should to the adjustment or Consular. If I can adjust by september 2011, I won't get it. I have read stories of ppl who tried to adjust and was not successful. and ended losing their F1 too.

I got the letter posted on May 3.

As a layperson I think that your number is not that bad. I am pretty sure that it's going to get current some time soon. Don't get too nervous at this point and just keep checking upcoming visa bulletins.

By the way, why would people lose their F1 status? If your student documents are fine, you should not be deprived of your F1 status merely because you weren't able to get your gc.

So the bottom line is that you shouldn't be too much worried. Hopefully, your number gets current and you will be among the lucky ones!

Last edited by a moderator:
As a layperson I think that your number is not that bad. I am pretty sure that it's going to get current some time soon. Don't get too nervous at this point and just keep checking upcoming visa bulletins.

By the way, why would people lose their F1 status? If your student documents are fine, you should not be deprived of your F1 status merely because you weren't able to get your gc.

So the bottom line is that you shouldn't be too much worried. Hopefully, your number gets current and you will be among the lucky ones!

Hi,
The thing is that if you apply for immigration, the F1 has clause that says you donot intend to immigrate to the US. And if you apply for immigration, you can't anymore have the F1.

Actually, i got the DV 2011, so with my bad cn, and i will need to see and wait for a year to see if I can get lucky.

Only thing that troubles me is, what if my cn never becomes current.

Ok, I am from Asia.
I still have 3 more years in my visa expiration.
One concern I have is my CN which is around 25000. Therefore, if I cann't get the AOS within sept 2010. I will be in trouble with my F1 too.

What do you think?

dvcrazy,
you are fine with 3 years left in your visa.
2011as250000 is not too bad a cn. mine is also like yours. there are cn's in the 30xxx to 40xxx in asia. you will be current around june/july/aug in 2011. you can go aos route and will make it on time.
go for it! and good luck.

dvcrazy,
you are fine with 3 years left in your visa.
2011as250000 is not too bad a cn. mine is also like yours. there are cn's in the 30xxx to 40xxx in asia. you will be current around june/july/aug in 2011. you can go aos route and will make it on time.
go for it! and good luck.

Hey leongsce,

I am sending you the link of the Bulletin for the last 5-7 years. According to it,, even this year for july, only 23500 is the cut off. Now i dont think there could be much hope for august and september.
travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1770.html

past records also shows only once has 30000 being the cut-off at the end. So i am very doubtful.

I have read somewhere that AOS is even more time-consuming and does always end up being the right choice. I have heard of someone who could not do the adjust before september and also lost is F1. Very risky business.
I am still weighing between AOS or DS 230..

What do you think? Do you think you can adjust my september this year? By the way, are you also in F1 in the US or something else?

Thanks

Hey leongsce,

I am sending you the link of the Bulletin for the last 5-7 years. According to it,, even this year for july, only 23500 is the cut off. Now i dont think there could be much hope for august and september.
travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1770.html

past records also shows only once has 30000 being the cut-off at the end. So i am very doubtful.

I have read somewhere that AOS is even more time-consuming and does always end up being the right choice. I have heard of someone who could not do the adjust before september and also lost is F1. Very risky business.
I am still weighing between AOS or DS 230..

What do you think? Do you think you can adjust my september this year? By the way, are you also in F1 in the US or something else?

Thanks

dvcrazy,
just based on last year's bulletin all regions became current in july. when you see the word "current" or "c" this means that any cn can apply ... no matter how large your cn is. uscis works faster near the end of the fiscal year so cases that you read that are in the beginning of the fiscal year (oct) will move slower. if you read the 2009 aos thread, you can see some successes with higher cn. the immigrant visa (green card) must be issued before sept 30.

my answer is yes to your question on going aos. but you must be fully prepared - all documents must be ready and leave no room for them to ask for more information. prepare more than what is required.

there are a lot of f1 students who got their gc in 2009 and 2010. read those 2010 and 2009 aos threads. learn how they do it by reading their posts. what i mean by 'learn' is that see what they prepare for ... the documents they send, etc.

i am here on work visa.

best of luck.

hey wats up

Hi guys,
Your case is a bit low, my case was extremely high and I succeeded. I won the 2007 and case was almost 37000 and something. So you have good chance of being current. What you prepare is how to pass the interview and continution of your forms for visa processing. That is it. Nothing at all.
I