• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Winners from Kenya Report Here!

gichan

As far as I know Egypt Air doesnt fly to Texas.
What is the price? Up to where you are going?

Kseniasat,

There is no direct flight to Texas. You have to connect.
Since this is peak season air fares have really gone up.
Egypt air is around 1180$ for now. Probably it will also go up by the end of June.

Githinji, a guy i met when i was doing our medicals, had a successful interview yesterday. We too shall come out of this victorious in Jesus' Name. Faith is all we need.

@mamaizoo from your experience in this forum and prayers you will definitely make it. Hope they don't ask for photocopies which are certified as they have the original with them it is only that at this time of the year one has to get everything right as there is no room to be put under AP

Hi forumites,

Glad to see all of you doing well. I have been away for so long!! Njugunuts and Magkin can i get your email address or phone number we talk? I am leaving for Sacramento, CA on 18th July and i need lotsa advice from you guys if you don't mind. I will be using Swiss Air. I booked with IOM they seemed cheaper at this time. Collecting my ticket next week. Guys who are current this month n beyond...i wish you all the best! God bless you all.

current numbeer

For everyone who has already done the interview cogras,for those on the waiting list all the best.Just wondering will 87000+ plus be current this year?.Then anyone shopping for tickets try Turkish airline.they fly 2 cities.u can always connect.

.Just wondering will 87000+ plus be current this year?.

Nellimah, the best thing is to remain prepared such that should the number become current - and there are high chances of it becoming current - you will be well prepared. All the best.

@lil'angel please brief me on the goings on at Sacramento because if everything goes on well it might be my please of entry. Otherwise all the best as you prepare.

@mamaizoo

No word from the embassy yet. I email them once in a while though their response is almost generic.my experience n research shows that the nairobi embassy is one of the laziest,lamest there is.they take eternity to deal with even the pettiest of issues.
Notice that guys in going through other embassies but with case # very close to yours are interviewed more than 3 weeks earlier.in other embassies put under AP will get some sort of follow up every other month. Nairobi will be luck to hear from them in 3 months.
So guys do the best you can to avoid AP at nairobi.for singles don't worry. For couples Gods grace must be with u.
Goodluck all

@ Kseniasat

The couple you refer in your interview, were they given a yellow slip? good preparations

@mamaizoo

No word from the embassy yet. For couples Gods grace must be with u.
Lets pray that you hear from them soon. We surely need God's grace in this whole thing and in everything that pertains to our lives. I pray that our efforts shall not be in vain for all of us in this thread, In Jesus' Name.

Hi Magkin,

Hope your doing fine. I have been waiting to hear from you. Kindly send me your email address so that we can communicate. I will be travelling at the end of July so probably we shall hook up when i come. Waiting for your reply.

Lets pray that you hear from them soon. We surely need God's grace in this whole thing and in everything that pertains to our lives. I pray that our efforts shall not be in vain for all of us in this thread, In Jesus' Name.

Hi mamaizoo,

Hope all is well so far and your ready for the interview. when is your interview? Remember to be confident and smile coz for sure i believe it works wonders coz you already proove to the consular that your confident with yourself. May God reward you...

Insights, two months later

Sorry I took so long to reply, stopped getting automatic updates from the forum for some reason and only just noticed. If anyone needs to ask me a specific question, just send me a message, i'll probably see it sooner.

njugunuts

Which state are you in? Which city?
What is it profession? What kind of job did you get?
Would really appreciate if you write some more about it.
Both my husband and I have quite good jobs in Kenya, He is in IT field works in quite a good world wode known company and I do business + 2 other jobs. So, we still have some doubts wheter to leave everything and just go or continue growth here. Yes, 95% that we will try our luck, but still...there is a lot to think about.

We are still thinking about which state to go and most probably will go in October, but will have to come back here to finish everything..

I'm the pharmaceutical industry in Virginia. I'd say if your husband works in IT, a good place to be would be any of the major cities. I can speak for New York and Washington DC/ DC Metro area (Northern Virginia and around the Beltway in Maryland, off 495). These are big in IT contracting business, for software and commercial giants and also for the government. Some jobs may require security clearance which may not be available for a PR, but they have a lot of IT-related firms and jobs. I can't speak for the West Coast but I would guess any of the major cities would have the same. IT's a good place to be, especially if he has good programming skills and is proficient in at least one programming language and can show solutions he has come up with. This is the country of innovation and I think you'll be fine. There are also more nationalities in big cities coz it's more of a melting pot so he should fit right in. He can start looking for jobs before he gets here just to get a feel of the industry and what particular skills are in demand.

You'll meet people who have horror stories about trying to land a decent job and granted, that's a concern with unemployment and a foreign education/work experience, being Black and an "accent" (I get so cracked up that everyone thinks I have a British accent) but I say keep praying for it, and do your homework before hand. There's no substitute for time spent actively searching for jobs and mailing out resumes and good old luck!. The truly good companies (which is where you'd want to be anyway) value diversity and may give you a shot, after all it looks good on their diversity statistics! :) I'd sum it up with confidence, prayer, common sense and the ability to package yourself to what the potential employer is looking for.

I'd also suggest having someone host you for a bit, even if you have savings. For a couple of reasons: they will have a good idea of what companies are in the area, what the mainstay of businesses in the area is, and before the official documentation comes through (SSN, GC etc.), you'll be able to get around and get familiar. I would suggest carrying an international driver's license from AA (though check with the DMV of the state you choose, some states may not need it) so that you can get some hours on the road and get a State Driver's License. Being without a Driver's License can be pretty hard, unless you're in a place with very good public transport (like DC and NY cities) but even with good public transport, sometimes you may have to get from the house to the metro/bus stop using a car (taxi's are terribly expensive). You can opt to get a learner's permit but this means that you'll have to wait for your host to be available so you can go driving with them (coz you need a licensed driver with you), and I didn't want to do that coz I didn't want to feel like a burden. Also, you can only test after a month if you opt for this route. An extra month doesn't seem long, right? Add this to the time till you get your green card (at least 2 weeks), SSN (you can have your number in about 2.5 weeks, which is the most important, but physical card later though you don't really need it) that means when you get your learner's permit, you've already been here at least 3 weeks, and you now have to wait ANOTHER month (because you can't get the learner's permit without those documents). I couldn't afford to wait. With the Kenyan DL+ International, I got my state license in under 3 weeks total. The driving around also kept me busy and sane as I waited for the documents to arrive. Now you should see me zipping around like a local :) I started off just driving in a parking lot with my host because I needed to get comfortable with being on the other (wrong :)) side of the road, and the turns signals are on the other side so everytime I wanted to indicate I hit windshield wipers (!) and getting the hang of very tight parallel parking. I was not too worried about being on the road because I used to drive in Kenya (and a stick shift at that!). (And of course by this time I knew the DMV manual like the back of my hand and used to ride with my host to observe the peculiarities like yielding on green, right turn on red). After I got comfortable with the car and signals, I started going shopping in the late evenings when there was hardly any traffic so I could get comfortable and then started going earlier and earlier..... I now have been about 1400 miles since I got here (2 months ago) and that includes time in DC, the capital beltway (I-495) and the interstate (I-95) as well as some little road driving in the boondocks :) And since I got my license about a month later, I've been around quite a bit the last month. I enjoy driving here coz the roads are much better and the drivers more courteous though once in a while you meet some nutty ones (though that happens everywhere and Kenyan has lots of nutty mat drivers).

The other reason I suggest having a host is that bills can quickly pile up here. You pay for literally everything and coming from Ksh to USD is rather painful :) If you have a nice host who lets you stay for free or who you pay a sub-lease fee, it's much better than getting your own place for at least about 2-3 months as you try and find your feet. Also, leasing requires you to have credit history or you'll have to pay like 2 months deposit: one as security deposit (incase you mess up the house) and last month's rent (a buffer so they have adequate time to tell you to get lost :) if you are not paying rent on time). Add this to the various deposits you'd have to put down for the gas company and electric company and in some cases water depending on whether it's a condo or townhouse or regular house. If it's a furnished apartment, these may not arise since you may lease plus utilities but this means your rent is at least twice the normal. Add the cost of furniture to the house and you can see what I mean (though since it's summer you can get some decent furniture from yard sales). I haven't even added the deposits you may need to put down to get a cellphone (depending on carrier and what kind of plan you want), I opted to go prepaid with Boost mobile for a while as I try and get acclimated but people have varying needs/tastes and also the deposits for a secured credit card so you can start earning credit history, and the cost of gas and buying a decent and reliable used car, insurance....... I think having a reliable host to begin with saves you a lot of frustration. You can probably go at it alone and be fine, but it'll cost you a pretty penny and may frustrate you some of the time (actually a lot of the time!).

Well, enough about that. Hope it gives those of you back home an idea of what you need to deal with when you get here. I will put a disclaimer that these have been my experiences as a single, female in the Northern Virginia area so I cannot claim to have knowledge of other States (and what I know about New York and Maryland I know from Kenyans who are also female and single) so always ask those in your potential state what to expect. Local knowledge goes a much longer way than Wikipedia. :) I must also say that despite the successes I've had, it has not always been rosy but I keep in my mind why I emigrated and that helps me keep focused on the bigger picture. Thought I'd put this here so that you know it's not all roses but keep your eye on the reasons why you moved, and if/when they are met, say a prayer of thanks and keep your head up. You must also be willing to work hard (not usually a problem with Kenyans :) and deliver as promised, if not more. Don't forget you're the one trying to fit in and not vice versa.

I wish you all Godspeed as you prepare to get here, may God shine his favor upon you and stay true to yourselves, you can easily get sucked into consumerism and the search for bigger, better, faster (as with anywhere else) but America is on a whole different level. Enjoy it, I do, and celebrate the diversity. Only time will tell but so far, so good.

Edit: Decided to add one last bit for Kseniasat's sake, someone suggested that you stay right where you are. This is a very personal decision and one I'm sure you don't take lightly but here's my two cents worth. If you feel you still have space and growth in Kenya and things are proceeding in such a manner that you feel given time, you'll meet your financial, family and societal goals in Kenya, by all means stay. Also, think 10-20 years from now and think if you'll look back and regret not taking a chance. If the answer to both these questions is no, then don't bother, after all contentment is a great thing and what we're all trying to achieve.

However, if you feel that you're not able to meet your societal, fiscal and other goals in Kenya, or feel you have outgrown/reached the ceiling in where you feel you could get to (listen to instinct, it's usually dead on and proved right over the course of time, not always in the short term but definitely in the long-term), then make the move. As I said, won't always be easy but having solid reasons why you moved will keep you focused and help you quantify you gains/losses (hopefully fewer of the latter). I know I'd like to bring up my kids here because they have the ability to excel in whatever they want to be, and I like not having to worry that my handbag will get snatched in traffic from my backseat, or my bluetooth will be ripped from my ear, or not obsessing over the fact that I forgot to lock the front door when I stepped out, and the fact that I can return shoes I bought because when I wore them around the house they hurt my feet without being abused, and driving around at 9pm without worrying about carjacking. I know, the crime here is also prevalent, but as I said, I use my common sense and take the necessary precautions, but I like not having to OBSESS about security. I like the fact that customer service is not just a word in the dictionary here but if you have a legit concern, you can raise it and it gets sorted (It may take forever to get a human being on line/someone who understands English, not just speaks it but actually comprehends, thanks to call outsourcing :), and sometimes it may take a while for issues to get sorted) but the fact that you can at least try with an expectation of success, I'm fine with that. I like the fact that the library has good books, internet and a librarian who actually cares about their job and who understands what they have/don't have and resources to get what you they don't. I like the fact that your kids don't have to Einstein to make a decent living here, and not every success of theirs is determined by what position they are in school. Child growth and development is more well rounded.

On the other hand, the stress of living here does seem to have it's definite place in marital stress (I'm sure you know this coming from Europe). The fast pace of life here and the crazy (often out of synch) hours make it easier to drift apart. Add in the lack of extended family (the Kenyan way so you're always doing stuff with family and thus bonding and have more in common than just yourselves and mentors who kinda stop you from sweating the small stuff), it could be a recipe for family disaster. However, you know yourself and your family best. I'm sure you and hubby know what you want to be as husband and wife, as a family and even though sometimes things do go wrong, if you're honest with each other and yourselves, you'll be fine. Again, I'm single, what do I know? :) But you get the point.

Put all these things in perspective with regard to your life, prioritize them and then make the big leave-or-stay decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Njugunuts thanks for that informative piece especially for us who are still waiting to know our fate. We are now more informed on what is happening on the other side of the fence first hand.Looking for a Driving License and also on the issue of having a reliable host for at least the first 3 months and also about building once credit worthiness. We wish you well and continue being with us in the forum as it gives us confidence as we prepare. It also means that as one prepares to travel to that place one should have some coins to spare.

@ njugunuts

Thanks for the comprehensive info to us all waiting on the line.If I may ask, and if I remember correctly, you did do qualification equivalence evaluation by one of the agencies.does it help in any way?
Wish u all the best.

@ my 2011, I did but ended up not needing it. The employer did their own checks on my initial qualification and didn't use the equivalence one. I'd suggest you be prepared with the knowledge of how to do equivalence, so that just in-case you need it, you can quickly start the process. I ended up not needing it because my degree was backed up by my licensing in the field of practice. I think if you have work experience that's relevant to your degree, you may not need it since a Bachelor's degree is a Bachelor's wherever. For those with Diploma's, I think they may still need it so they can show they have the equivalent of an Associate degree (and I've heard some stories where they were deemed equivalent to Bachelor's, though I'm not sure about this).

njugunuts

Wow, thats a nice full reply I wasnt even expecting. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your advises and sharing your experience.
I think we are almost settled with the decision. And yes, it is to go and try our luck.
You know, I am not kenyan and not african, I am from europe.
I love kenya, but also one of my main concerns here is security. I know what is it to walk under the night summer sky at 11pm with no worry, though after living here for 4 years I am starting to forget that nice feeling ))).
Of course it is not only about it, there are many factors.
Yes, we have good jobs here, but looking from another perpspective, I start thinking that if with no experience, no much money, no connections I made it here, why not to try it there.
Also I always thought and still think that for a mixed couple like ours 3rd country (not mine, not his) would make more sence for us and our future kids.
So, we are planning to go in the end of October, my husband will stay 1 week, I will stay longer and wait for our green cards and ssn's and then fly back to kenya. Then will have few more months to finish our things here and move to US.
Anyway, one more thanks for your responce and sincere answer.

njugunuts

Wow, thats a nice full reply I wasnt even expecting. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your advises and sharing your experience.
I think we are almost settled with the decision. And yes, it is to go and try our luck.
You know, I am not kenyan and not african, I am from europe.
I love kenya, but also one of my main concerns here is security. I know what is it to walk under the night summer sky at 11pm with no worry, though after living here for 4 years I am starting to forget that nice feeling ))).
Of course it is not only about it, there are many factors.
Yes, we have good jobs here, but looking from another perpspective, I start thinking that if with no experience, no much money, no connections I made it here, why not to try it there.
Also I always thought and still think that for a mixed couple like ours 3rd country (not mine, not his) would make more sence for us and our future kids.
So, we are planning to go in the end of October, my husband will stay 1 week, I will stay longer and wait for our green cards and ssn's and then fly back to kenya. Then will have few more months to finish our things here and move to US.
Anyway, one more thanks for your responce and sincere answer.

You're welcome. I remembered that you're Caucasian :) but I could only speak for one half of the equation! I think you'll love it here and I can see the sense in the 3rd country. I wish you blessings in the journey ahead, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The government here is also very understanding about the need to wind up affairs back home so if you feel you could use some more time to wrap things up, you can apply for a re-entry permit and take a year to fully move. That way when you're here for the initial trip, you can set up so that when you go back to Kenya, you can be earning some credit history here and it'll make it easier for you on your final move.

My2011, Iam sorry for whats happening. You are right, our Nairobi embassy is a bit of slow. but don't worry. take heart. a friend of mine was telling me he had a similar problem AP, but later came out of it, though very late. remember also the case of Mjama, he got the visa the last minutes. we are with you in prayers my brother.
mamaizoo and the rest I know you have missed me in the forum, but do remember this is a lotery, we are yet to pass the test-( though I believe its already written in heaven) and for that reason, I still have to work hard,June is normally a very busy month for us, meetings evry day., and so I have not been around., but want to thank you fellows my2011, njugunut,wanjeri, kseniasat,gichan, and the rest for keeping the forum moving.
I got the second letter last week, my d-day is 13th July 2011. The truth is , Iam so nervous. I have the police record already. I plan to go for medical next here in mombasa.
Otherwise I trust all is well. God bless....

Hee njugunut, thats so informative, thanks for the effort to get us inform.
You are right. In the south, life is a bit slow, and no many public transport. I plan to get an international driving licence. I used to drive while in west columbia and also in charleston,but just in the forest and late in the evening. the only rule is that you keep RIGHT and no police signaling you down everytime . The job story scares me njugunut, leaving a well paying job to go and tarmac, one has to re-think and make a good decision. you are right. I thank God, I have good hosts, my other family are still in kenya waiting for the outcome of my interview. I plan to go back in school once I land there, what do you think?
I just pray that all goes well, so that we can all meet there and have a kenyan family get togather after the year programm come to an end., But I always say, its a lotery, and that God in His words says ...'I alone knows the plans I have for you.....' jeremiah 11:29.

@ my 2011, I did but ended up not needing it. The employer did their own checks on my initial qualification and didn't use the equivalence one. I'd suggest you be prepared with the knowledge of how to do equivalence, so that just in-case you need it, you can quickly start the process. I ended up not needing it because my degree was backed up by my licensing in the field of practice. I think if you have work experience that's relevant to your degree, you may not need it since a Bachelor's degree is a Bachelor's wherever. For those with Diploma's, I think they may still need it so they can show they have the equivalent of an Associate degree (and I've heard some stories where they were deemed equivalent to Bachelor's, though I'm not sure about this).

Hi njugunuts,

I want to say that you are really doing us good by giving us the relevant information which will be of help to us who are yet to join you there.
I wanted to ask where does one get to do the equivalence? Kindly assist us on this point so that we can also get assistance on qualification area.
I wish everyone the best coz God is on our side.