• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Winners from Kenya Report Here!

Hi all forumites,
http://forums.immigration.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2353326
We received by mail this morning the 2nd NL with the interview appointment: thursday,September the 1st at 08:00 AM Montreal.
Step3 and 4 of www.dv.selectee.state.gov listed the required documents for the principal applicant but nothing is mentioned for the beneficiary(the spouse for exemple).

what documents the beneficiary has to bring for the interview?

The spouse need the same document as you specially Police certificate birth certificate Marriage certification and medical exam But no need for work or education qualification but if you have any it will support.

The spouse need the same document as you specially Police certificate birth certificate Marriage certification and medical exam But no need for work or education qualification but if you have any it will support.

i deeply appreciate your response , thanks

Got my 2nd NL on Yesterday, Interview Monday 12th September 2011 at 1.00pm - Nairobi (very happy)
By the way do beneficiaries pay the visa fee as well - in my case wife and daughter.

Congrat. ngugimuturi.
Sept is next month remember, start preperation right away as you seem to be a family person.
Yes! to your question- beneficiaries do pay the same Visa fee just like you, do all the medical test like you, and in your case wife will need police certificate as well.
wish your all the best during the preperation

Congrat. ngugimuturi.
Sept is next month remember, start preperation right away as you seem to be a family person.
Yes! to your question- beneficiaries do pay the same Visa fee just like you, do all the medical test like you, and in your case wife will need police certificate as well.
wish your all the best during the preperation

Thanks Olyn.

@mamaizoo. Thanks, called Mombasa clinic, much cheaper than Nairobi, saved kshs 30,000.00. Interview on Monday. Asante.

That is three adults, one child. My son too won this Lottery and has interview on 2nd September but may reschedule as he is a final year medical student having exam on same day! He will do his at Nairobi IOM aso the saving will help pay for his medicals. In short I have 5 people heading out! May God help us all.

My son too won this Lottery and has interview on 2nd September but may reschedule as he is a final year medical student having exam on same day! He will do his at Nairobi IOM aso the saving will help pay for his medicals. In short I have 5 people heading out! May God help us all.[/QUOTE]

That's extremely risky at this
time of the DV calender. Its a tough choice btwn his degree and the visa- based on his priorities. Since he's single he's a sure bet for the visa that day but may resit his exams....just my thoughts

Dear All,
My wife and I had a very successful interview and picked up our visa,Be Glory to the almighty God.I have posted my interview experience in the Ethiopian 2011 Thread.

Members you can go through fikalab interview posted earlier in the Ethiopian thread and congras for this experience

Originally Posted by fikalab
fikaleb/fikalab's DV Interview Experience

I just wanna confess what God has done to my wife and myself.on Nov 29,2009 my wife and i have applied for DV 2011 in x town where she is studying her graduating class and on Nov 1,2010 i just came back to my home town for the first time in five months that i was away for field work and on Nov 3,2010 i went to my office to report and on that day i brought my wife's and mine pictures to fill the Dv 2012 application with my office mate and after i finished filling the form my mate asked me to check our Dv 2011 result but i refused and told him that i had already checked it with my cell Phone,which i did while i was out of my home town,addis,but the site was not working.so we just checked my mates result and it was 'have not been selected' then after i watched my mates result i just wanted to check my wife's and then mine,then i realized that i won the lottery,i didn't believed it and checked so many times then i called to my wife and asked her whether the letter was arrive or not then she called her brother about it,since he is the one who owns the Postbox but with coincidence he was not in Ethiopia for the last five months and have not checked the box so the following day we went to post office to check but the officer had told us that they sent it to Head Office,when we went there the Post office officer asserted us that they had sent it back to KCC and he also told us to gave up on that coz he believed that even if they had not sent it back to KCC the dead line for applying was already passed but we believed that God has done it for good and convinced ourselves we should not gave it up and started browsing the internet and i found the site called BBSNetting.com and they asked me for my confirmation number and year of birth then i emailed it to them,after a day they asserted me that i won and should email to KCC immediately ,which i did on Nov 3,2010 but could not got the reply,then they gave me the phone number of KCC then i gave it to my brother in law,he is also our sponsor, to call them and on Nov 7,2010 night he just called us and told us that he got the information in how to procedure our case and gave us dvselectee.gov site,then the following day i went to my office to download the forms on dvselectee.gov but on the same day,Nov 8,2010,i also got a reply from KCC that i can process my case by downloading the DS-320 and DSP-122 forms and also they asserted me that the omission of my forms has no effect on my case.

After i got the forms i face two difficult questions about the name of petitioner and the date of marriage,then i started browsing again for my problems and fortunately i got this amazing Forum on Nov 8,2010 and registered and found my first question's answer but getting my second question's answer was not easy but finally i found on a thread for this question that has a link on it and when i open the link it directs me to the instruction of DV lottery,and it says "the important date of the marriage is the date of customary conclusion not the registered date of the marriage".my wife and i got married b4 we apply the lottery and it was a very simple customary marriage and we have not registered it till that day,that is why we were so confused on filling that line,but after i got this information we filled it with our customary marriage date.and since that day i have finished reading the Kenyan,Nigerian and Ghanian 2010 and 2011 threads and there were a lot of information that a potential dv immigrant should not miss.one day when i read i got Labora,the father of the Ethiopian 2011 thread,from Ethiopia in those treads and the other day i have found the Ethiopian thread too and bizuayehu(aka 'me and my wife') and his experience helped me a lot since our case is so similar.thanks to those threads and Labora,ammeck,bennit,franky...they made me to be insistent on getting my case number.When our interview date is approaching my wife and me took 3 days of vacation and started to prepare for the interview intensively:we have printed more than 200 pictures of us together since 2006,and with our family too,emails since 2005,post cards and other evidences like bus tickets when i went to visit her while she was in college.we have also printed so many interview questions and study them deeply.

On our interview date we wake up at 6:00AM and went to the Embassy and we arrived there at 15 to 7:00AM and they started to usher us at 7:00Am and the security officer was amazed when he saw our appointment letter(2NL),i think we were the 1st Dv immigrant for that day though there were a lot who are not for Dv who came early in the morning.we passes the security check and got in and handed our documents to the Ethiopian officers.before we gave them our documents they gave us instruction paper that i had it already and it ask for:pass Port with the 1st two page Photocopies,two DV size photos,Birth certificate with its copy,marriage certificate with two photo copies,the original police certificates and authenticated academic certificates and it only asks the high school transcript and the high school leaving certificate but i have included my authenticated BSc degree with its transcript as i read before on bizuahehu's post that preparing on highest level academic status helps a lot,i believe yes it did help a lot especially for those who have got good grades on their degree level.then the officer gave us a slip to come back in the afternoon for our actual interview.after we left the embassy we went to st.Marry church to pray and then to our house tried to relax our selves and finally before we left our house we prayed in the house and went to the embassy at 12:30 PM and the security Officer ushered us to the interview hall and gave us the number at 1:00PM.

Our number was called at window 7 and i went alone and the Habesha (Ethiopian) officer told me to write my name on the paper that has the number on it and i did as i am told and sat again with my wife.after a couple of minutes my name was called on window 6 and i face the Ethiopian male officer and this time i went with my wife and the officer greeted us with smile then took our fingerprint and asked me the following questions:
1.my phone number,i gave him and he cross checked it with my DS-230 forms and said OK
2.were u married before? no
3.have u been out side of Ethiopia before? no
then he gave me a slip to pay 819USD (13900ETB) just for myself and told me to bring the receipt to him after i payed,then i did what he told me and wait for our actual interview.

At window 11 my name was called and me and my wife went together and this time we face the Ferenj (American) Officer for the first time,there was an Ethiopian Interpreter with him and she told us to put our thumb on the digital fingerprint and we did then the American officer asked us to raise our right hand and swear that what we wrote in our DS and DSP forms are true to the best of our knowledge,i said i do.then he gave us the forms to sign,then he asked me to pay for wife but this time i was in dilemma coz Labora and Helen wrote on their post that the officer told to the applicant when he was sure to give the visa but on the other hand i also heard that the officers were changed with the new one before two weeks and i was thinking....then the Ethiopian officer let my wife pay for herself and let me stay there with them,i did not understand why she did that but after the interview i realized that she did a favor by letting me stay there coz i believe she saw full confidence in me & saw some fear in wife's eyes...that is what i realized it...here is the actual interview with the American officer

CO: do u speak English?
Me: yes sir
CO: i see that you are graduated from x university in x town,where is it?
ME: it is found in the Northern part of Ethiopia and it is xxx km away from addis
CO: he laughed and what year did u graduate(he was watching my BSc degree paper)
Me: in 2007
CO: i see that u were married a year before(he was watching the marriage certificate)
Me: no sir,it was before two years
CO: OK,was it religious or customary(on the certificate it says customary)
Me: it was with customary
CO: who is this guy,reading the name of our sponsor on DS-230 form
Me: he is my brother in law
Co: oh,u have a sister in America
Me: no sir,
CO: u told me that he is your brother in law
Me: yes sir, but he is the brother of my wife
CO: then he told me that the husband of your sister can also be your brother in law
Me: yes sir, that could also be a brother in law
CO: how long has he been there
Me: since 200x
Co: how did he go
Me: with a scholarship
CO: is he still a student
Me: no,he is working now
Co: you are graduated in x engineering,are u working as an x engineer after u graduate
Me: yes
CO: where
Me: in the company called x
CO: oh u have good grades,a lot of A's,were u a good student(he was watching my campus transcript)
Me: yes sir,i was a very good student
CO: oh your wife is also an engineer,he was watching the DS-230 forms and also my documents
Me: yes sir,she is a y engineer
CO: that is so fantastic,are u intended to work as an x engineer America too
Me: yes sir,
CO: that is so impressive,let us wait your wife to come back then i will give the visa pick up paper

I think the officer was so impressed with my grades and my wife's occupation and he believed that we will not be public charge in America,my tips for those who are yet to go for the interview and have good grades in their university courses take it with u with other documents of yours it helps a lot,dont try to have fake documents in your portfolio,always tell the truth coz here in Ethiopia,every dv immigrant give their documents in the morning and have interview in the afternoon and so they scrutinize it intensively in the morning and decode your fate as Helen said it before.I also heard on the Radio months before that around 14 DV winners got busted trying to Present Fake Documents.
My wife stayed longer and the Ethiopian and the American officers had nothing to do and hence she started flipping my documents and at one point i saw her concentrating on reading a paper deeply,i was eager to see what it was then i saw that it was all the emails i had exchanged with KCC and i saw her nodding her head with smile and i feel relaxed and my wife came and the officer gave us our visa pick up paper and said congratulation and welcome to America.
My Observation in that day,almost every dv potential immigrants are granted dv with out any difficult questions but i saw some applicants came with out Original documents,only the photocopy and they make them go to bring the original.i think we were the only DV couples that day and the others are singles.All the Ethiopian and American officers are so good and make u feel comfortable and treat every applicant genuinely,at first i was kind of afraid to face the officers but when i started conversation with them i became so confident coz they treat me so very well,they are so logical in everything and if they catch u lie or bring fake documents one might even got busted,so tell the truth,the truth will set u free

By Gods grace the CO says things checked out and gave the green slip to pick the visa on monday.
Pray for me as a I await visa pick up by Gods grace.
So, so happy for you my friend. Our prayers are not in vain, God is faithful and really does wonders. Your visa pick up will be a success in Jesus' name. I thank and Bless God for what He has done for you.

Got my 2nd NL on Yesterday, Interview Monday 12th September 2011 at 1.00pm - Nairobi (very happy)
By the way do beneficiaries pay the visa fee as well - in my case wife and daughter.

Ngigimuturi, like Olyn puts it your beneficiaries do the medicals with you and pay the visa fees @819 dollars per person. All the best as you prepare.

Before you head for the nearest mall to purchase your very own pair of ugg Australia boots , stop

for a moment and ask yourself, I seen these boots before??If you are college-aged or younger, you

have seen these boots everywhere including on the Internet, in store catalogues, and in stores

themselves.

Ngigimuturi, like Olyn puts it your beneficiaries do the medicals with you and pay the visa fees @819 dollars per person. All the best as you prepare.

Thanks for your answer Mamaizoo:
I have another disturbing issue - Do the embassy asks for wedding photos? Ok, I married in May 2008, way before I applied for the DV lottery but my pictures were damaged even before they were processed, had taken them with a digital camera and the card broke. Can this be an issue though I have many pictures of earlier and later

@ mamaizoo, wakahu

We picked our visas yesterday without husstle. Thanks God and your prayers

@ Ngugimuturi

The picture issue my not be that big. All the C0 seeks to confirm is if actually there is a true marriage relation between the two of you. Having entered as married and having a child together is your greatest evidence. Carry the photos with you. If asked just tell them the truth.

My2011, I can't hide my joy. Iam so happy for you.
God really answers prayers. I've never stop remebering you, Bennit, kamauz and theres' girgar who were all put on AP. God is indeed faithful. May His blessings follow you even beyond.
@No panic ngugimuturi, if you entered the lotery as married, then you must prove that you are really married!. Have your marriage certificates and family pictures, discuss,talk with your wife and know her in and out, incase you are asked a question concerning her.also having a child is a good evidence. so do not worry about the wedding pictures.Be striaght forward.
@Wakahu I pray all is well.

@ Olyn, My2011 thanks for your response, like you said - truth is what matters and i'll stand by that if am asked for the photos. To the others who have done their interviews - prepare well and success will fill this thread! wish everybody the best

Do the embassy asks for wedding photos? Ok, I married in May 2008, way before I applied for the DV lottery but my pictures were damaged even before they were processed,

Ngugi we married in May 2008 also, had carried our courtship and wedding pictures. The CO never asked for them. So let the issue of the photos not trouble you. I guess the marriage certificate is enough but all the same you can carry whatever you feel can be of assistance to you.

@ olyn

Can't thank you enough for the prayers. It was tough but atleast knowing God and truth is on your side was comforting.

Thanks all. All the best.

Ngugi we married in May 2008 also, had carried our courtship and wedding pictures. The CO never asked for them. So let the issue of the photos not trouble you. I guess the marriage certificate is enough but all the same you can carry whatever you feel can be of assistance to you.

Thank you! you and Olyn are mines of info, have read all of this thread and you people are number one. It helpful!