• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Winners from Kenya Report Here!

Hi guys,

Now am getting so tense jeez!!! I have read about the medicals...i called IOM today and they told me to book the appointment i send them an sms to a number they gave me with my case number, fullnames and DOB. Now, i read on a Pdf document on their site, that requirements to go with for the medical exam is a copy of a valid passport, an appointment letter....now what appointment letter? from the KCC ( the 2nd NL) or the medical appointment letter that they will give me after i book? and do i choose the date that i want to do the exam or they choose for me? And if i dont have any medical or vaccination records what should i do? I want to have my exam in March...Please assist. Thanks.

Yes,you are required to strip to your panties ONLY,for both male and female applicants,and then wear a hospital gown. The doctor then checks all over the body for scars,deformities,illnesses etc.

For more details,check my medicals experience.

Njugunuts, thanks for the heads up about your medical experience posting; very informative indeed. I think it answers some of the questions lil'angel is asking in her latest posting. Cheers

Hi guys,

Now am getting so tense jeez!!! I have read about the medicals...i called IOM today and they told me to book the appointment i send them an sms to a number they gave me with my case number, fullnames and DOB. Now, i read on a Pdf document on their site, that requirements to go with for the medical exam is a copy of a valid passport, an appointment letter....now what appointment letter? from the KCC ( the 2nd NL) or the medical appointment letter that they will give me after i book? and do i choose the date that i want to do the exam or they choose for me? And if i dont have any medical or vaccination records what should i do? I want to have my exam in March...Please assist. Thanks.

Lil'angel,

Below see Njugunuts' posting some weeks back about his medical experience; I believe it might answer some of the questions you've posed:

" Anyway, after I was done with KCC, I called IOM on the chance that they would agree to schedule my medicals without the 2nd NL and they had no problem, they gave me a 7.30 appointment. Now, for all those doing their medicals in Nairobi, take note that the IOM at which the medicals are done is the one on 4th Ngong Avenue, a blue gate just after AAR. This is because when I called to make an appointment, they didn't tell me which IOM this was and so I went to Nairobi Hospital.

I showed up at IOM 4th Ngong Avenue, just after AAR at 7.50am (I think most appointments are around this time and the earlier you go the sooner you leave the place). At the gate, the security guys make sure you are on the list for the day. You then take a seat in the reception area and hand in your passport. The ladies there make a copy of it, then send you for a counseling session where some guy lets you know what tests they'll carry out,how long they will take etc. They check mainly for Syphilis, TB and Hepatitis B though they also do other baseline tests e.g blood sugar. After the counseling session you go pick up your passport and copy, and go the lab where they take an instant photo of you, sign the medical exam forms, hand in 1 passport photo and then proceed for bleeding. You then go and pay for the medical exam.

The exam itself costs 138 USD so depending on the exchange rate for the month which they set, you pay the equivalent in Ksh. The exchange rate for December is 80.3 so I paid Ksh. 11,081. You can pay in dollars if you want but it attracts a 5 USD surcharge since all their accounts are in Ksh.

You then enter an IOM van and are ferried to Nairobi Hospital IOM where you hand in your forms, are X-Rayed (ladies, wear pants not dresses or you will have to completely disrobe and wear the open-back hospital gowns) and then ferried back to 4th Ngong. Once you are back, you then proceed for the physical where a nurse checks your height, weight, vision, blood pressure and pulse. You hand in the 2nd passport photo here. You are then sent to the doctor's where he/she asks about your past medical, surgical and hospitalization history. You are then sent to strip down to your underwear. She checks your ears,teeth and asks you to breath in and out deeply as she listens to your breath and heart sounds. From here I guess its gender specific: because she will feel your breasts, both male and female, and general look and touch at the rest of your body as you lie down, straight to the toes (she doesn't look at sehemu nyeti [Smilie] , just asks if everything is OK there). Females, she will check the back of your legs for varicose veins as you face the wall, and for everyone she will check to see if your spine is straight.

After the exam she fills in the required immunizations which will vary depending on whether you are pregnant (females), having had chickenpox in the past and your age. Kids get quite a number of shots so for those with young ones (below 12), remember to carry their immunization cards to avoid traumatizing the kids with unnecessary shots coz without the cards, they will have to be repeated. I got three shots: Dultavax (32 USD), MMR (26 USD)and Varicella (54 USD and quite painful!). The pregnant ones don't get the first one and the ones who have had chicken pox don't get the last one. You can therefore calculate approximately how much you need by multiplying by the ones you're likely to need by 80.3. You then go and pay for the vaccinations and receive them. I was done with this by 1.30pm.

After that you are sent home to go and wait for the results. IF there is a problem, they call you the next day so you can come and see the doctor and discuss treatment options etc. and the way forward. IF you don't get any call in the morning, you are fine. I couldn't be able to go the next day to pick up my results so I begged and pleaded for an expedite so I left with my results at 5.10pm (quite a long wait, had to wait for the doctor to finish seeing everyone so she could sign my report). I was given a big envelope with my X-Ray (don't carry this to the interview, but carry it in your hand luggage when emigrating), Vaccination card copy (make a copy of this, carry to the embassy in case they need it, carry in hand luggage and keep safe coz in the States, it'll determine health insurance premiums) and a SEALED medical report (don't attempt to unseal unless you want to pay another 138 USD). They then bid you goodbye and all the best in your interview!

That was my day. Met a few people who were doing their medicals for DV, most seemed to be family sponsored migrants. One guy was doing his medicals for an interview next week on Tuesday, and I thought that was too close. I suggest you do your medicals as soon as possible, since they last for 6 months anyway, coz in-case there is a problem e.g TB which takes 6 months treatment and 2 more months observation, you may not be able to apply for your visa within the DV window. Anyway, the incidence of TB among people without HIV is not high so you shouldn't panic, but those who are positive should do it quickly so that if they have TB they can be treated and still apply. I was freaking out about the TB test coz I work in a HIV and TB clinic, but turns out mungu amenichunga. Amen!

In summary:
1. Get to your interview on time to avoid wasting the whole day there.
2. Carry immunization records where available, especially for children.
3. Carry about Ksh. 21,000 for the whole process (I spent Ksh. 20,075). A little more is better in-case of any eventualities.
4. There is a cafeteria on the premises so you can carry some little money for lunch and/or snacks, especially those with kids.
5. Make sure your passport photos (2) conform to the standards. Those with bad photos were sent to re-take them and wasted more time and money. They should be on a white background with a really big face in them (about half the photo)
6. Don't forget your passport.
7. Say a big prayer and wish for all the best.

Hope you have all learnt something from this. @ Kamauz, go right ahead and schedule your medicals, with or without the 2nd NL. Just carry your 1st NL so they can confirm your case number.

Applied for police clearance on Wednesday 8th and the process is quite straight forward: go to CID headquarters on Kiambu Road, follow the signs to the office (it's on the right). Pay Ksh. 1,000 at a window at the entrance and produce your national ID. Get a copy of the receipt and your ID inside the office @10 bob. Get the original receipt and ID copy stapled to some form, fill in your name and ID number and wait to be called for printing. After printing, get your form and copy of receipt signed and stamped. The certificate is ready in 2 weeks. Don't detach the printing records from the certificate when handing it in to the embassy or it is invalid."

Thanks Scarnam it is sure very informative...! @Njugunuts, you say u were given 3 shots, n y does the US Embassy site say we have to get vaccines for all those listed....or does it mean after they examine you they will now determine which vaccinations to get? Thank you very much! So should i wait for KCC to confirm my interview date for me to book an appointment, i wrote to them last week and havn't gotten a response.

@Njugunuts, you say u were given 3 shots, n y does the US Embassy site say we have to get vaccines for all those listed....or does it mean after they examine you they will now determine which vaccinations to get?

Vaccines usually come as a combination against various viruses/bacteria so even though they were 3 shots,they vaccinated me against about 8 or so diseases. This will end up meeting the US requirements. However,the vaccines that one needs will be determined by past medical history and evidence of vaccination,if you have it. If you dont,they'll just assume you haven't received them and give those that are age-appropriate(since some are only given to kids).

So should i wait for KCC to confirm my interview date for me to book an appointment, I wrote to them last week and havn't gotten a response.

I suggest you wait until you've confirmed that KCC have scheduled your interview in April. Once you have your date,you can go ahead and book your medicals and show up with your 1st NL,they have no problem with this. However,if you're in a hurry,you can book your medical as soon as tomorrow and show up on the medicals day with your 1st NL. It all boils down to how patient you are. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey you guyz dnt know if you heard of the Green Card Scam In kenya ........i Bet y'all know how the process goes so no sending money through sijui western union those peeps are conz....inform any1 who will need an advice on that...wish evri1 one good luck with their processes just got my social security card

Vaccines usually come as a combination against various viruses/bacteria so even though they were 3 shots,they vaccinated me against about 8 or so diseases. This will end up meeting the US requirements. However,the vaccines that one needs will be determined by past medical history and evidence of vaccination,if you have it. If you dont,they'll just assume you haven't received them and give those that are age-appropriate(since some are only given to kids).

I suggest you wait until you've confirmed that KCC have scheduled your interview in April. Once you have your date,you can go ahead and book your medicals and show up with your 1st NL,they have no problem with this. However,if you're in a hurry,you can book your medical as soon as tomorrow and show up on the medicals day with your 1st NL. It all boils down to how patient you are. :)

Thanks so much Njugunuts! Lemi just wait for the reply from the KCC...i bet i will be fine, i just swore an affidavit for my names today and felt lil' at peace, picking my police cert on 7th march then i bet al do my medicals after that. Thank you so so much! Bless y'all for this info. And all the best to all of us.

Hey guys.
So @njugunuts or other the fact that someone has not so much height or weight can disqualify him?

My2011dv

So long as you are certified medically fit whether tall/short fat/thin should be inconsequential

Hey guys.
So @njugunuts or other the fact that someone has not so much height or weight can disqualify him?

Hi all, I am new here have bn reading threads from every corner, this is my second time to apply, still waiting if i can win :):)
My2011dv, can see ua interview was scheduled for jana, how did it go, some gud news i presume?!!!
All the best to all those who are still trying their luck like me, all those who are scheduled for interviews, all those who have already done their interviews and have started a new life in the USA.

Cheers

Welcome Ritangel; you stand to learn a lot from this forum. To all the forum people, I have another minor concern. Do you foresee any problem if a dependent's name in the national ID is slightly different from the name in the passport? The difference is in the sequence of the first and middle names; they've been interchanged. The PP has the correct name sequence (which the KCC have) while the ID has the wrong sequence. All the other necessary docs (i.e. birth cert, education certs, marriage certs) have the right name sequence. While I understand that the ID won't be used at the embassy, except when picking the PP upon visa issuance, the concern comes when applying for the certificate of good conduct. What does an applicant use at the CID headquarters, is it the ID or PP? If its the ID, is it possible to have the police put the names in the right order on the certificate despite the ID saying otherwise? If that is not possible, do you guys foresee any problem at the embassy? As in showing up with a Cert of Good Conduct in which the arrangement of the names (of a dependent) are a little mixed up? The thing is, the discrepancy is in the arrangement/sequence only; the names and their spelling are correct.

The thing is, the discrepancy is in the arrangement/sequence only; the names and their spelling are correct.

As long as the names are the same, I foresee no problem. For your peace of mind you can email the embassy with this question but I think that's a minor and easily understood issue since the names refer to the same person.

As long as the names are the same, I foresee no problem. For your peace of mind you can email the embassy with this question but I think that's a minor and easily understood issue since the names refer to the same person.

Thanks a lot Njugunuts; I will write an email to the embassy asking them about this. It's just that I don't want to leave anything to chance given my high CN; I have no margin for error. Any more responses from the forum are welcome.

njugunuts i had samme problem, but was told after enquiry at the embassy not to worry abt it, i will s

Falainwest,

You have the same problem as mine? Do you mind sharing more details about your problem and exactly how the embassy responded.

Scarnam,

You interview will be on or before 15th Sept 2011. The Nairobi embassy doesn't process DV Visas after 15th Sept. Confirm from their website, may be i got it wrong. But you will definately get an interview, that am sure of.

Menjo, if i remember well you were to do an affidavit coz your names on KSCE cert doesn't have a surname and your passport has? How did it go? Did they give you problems at the Embassy? I would like to know as i am yet to get affidavit for both my birth cert and KCSE cert. Kindly let me know.

Hey Guys, its been a while.. hoping all is well.. I contacted the consulate and unfortunately my case is still undergoing AP, Here's hoping everything turns out great..

Hi guys?
I saw ritangel asked me how it was for my interview! I have not yet done it because it was postponed and sorry I forgot to update my signature. I will do it next week.
@njugunuts, how can we see each other now because I am at Nairobi and I think you are there too?
Big up to you all!

Kamauz, I pray for you every day. I have been asking your where abouts, we need you the most.
God is working on your case, His timing is the best remember. Jeremiah 29:11
Forumist, magkin will be travelling on 3rd of march. I talk to him.
Lets put him in prayers, so that Gods' blessing follow him beyond ............