• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Lottery Winners From Ghana Meet Here

MY INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE

I arrived at the Embassy 6.30am on the January 6, 2011. I sat in the car going through over and over again just to make sure all documents are intact. At 7.00am I approached where those coming for interview had gathered. 5 mins later I saw people rushing towards the entrance to queue so I followed suit. We all queued in front of the entrance. We were told to take out our appointment letters in order to be inspected. With the appointment letters immigrants were separated from non-immigrants. I was the 5th in the queue. We were then ushered into the security checkpoint. Because I had no metallic mat or perfume on me I was the 2nd to go through the point, then to the point where we had to wait for further instruction.

At 7.45am a tall Whiteman (Head of DV US Embassy) and a Ghanaian came over with white and yellow sheets to speak to the DV winners on the qualification criteria (education/work experience). In fact, he did admit that only few people qualifying under work experience had been issued visas compared to education. He also gave an option for those wishing to reschedule their interview, which he said would be probably March and April. After that our appointment letters were taken from us and we were given the white and the yellow sheet which contains qualification criteria and fees to be paid to the cashier which we all filled. At 8.00am we formed a queue to enter the Consular Section to pay the visa fees. I was the 1st person in the queue.

The first 5 persons entered the section to form another queue leading to the cashier. I was third in the queue inside. After about 7 mins I paid my fees (GHC 1228.50) then went to sit down waiting to submit my documents. At 9.15am the Ghanaian that came with the Whiteman came to Window 1 and started calling DV winners to submit their forms. The security man nearer to us told us to form a queue so I was third. When it came to my turn to go to Window 1 the Gh announced that I go to Window 3 where there was a Gh woman. She has asked of my name and brought the forms I sent to KCC (DS & DSP). She critically compared the photo in my passport (issued in 2004) with the ones I brought. After a while she gave to me BECE results slip, Police Clearance (it underlined only one surname instead of two surnames on it and in my Passport), Tax Clearance, Employment letter in the AOS but took the I-864 and 2 NLs. She told me to rectify the mistake on my Police Clearance after my interview. I thanked her and sat down. At 9.45am I was called to Window 2 for fingerprint after which I sat down again waiting for the real thing (all this while I was having mixed feelings). The 1st DV winner (lady) was called to a window which I cannot remember to be interviewed. It was after I had sat down that I saw her returning smiling with a yellow sheet. 6 mins later I was called to Window 4 for interview.

CO: Good morning
ME: Good morning
CO: Do you swear that everything you are going to say is the truth?
ME: yeah
CO: Are you married? (Smiling)
ME: No
CO: Do you have any children?
ME: No
CO: Are you working? (Going through the docs) (He asked cos I wrote National Service on DS forms)
ME: Yes
CO: Which Work? (Started typing on the computer)
ME: Lecturing at …………
CO: Which subjects do you teach?
ME: Mention
CO: Do you training in that? (Still typing on the computer)
ME: No, I just have the passion and have been learning on my own.
CO: Do you have your BECE here?
ME: Yes (Quickly removed the Results slip and gave it to him)
CO: I mean the blue one do you have it. (After looking at it and returning it to me)
ME: Yes, I have it but I could not bring it here.
CO: I see your Police Clearance has expired. (Picked a blue sheet. Marked some option and wrote a date on it which is mid Feb)
ME: No, it has not. There’s only a mix up the surname on it.
CO: Ok. Correct it and bring the BECE cert the next you come. (Handing over the blue sheet to me)
ME: Ok
CO: Thank you
ME: You are welcome
My interview lasted for less than 3 mins. I hurriedly left the section with a smile few mins before 10.00am. By the Grace of Jesus this is all that happened.

Congrats my brother. Good to know that the document they requested is ready. Just send it there on the given day and you will be okay. Congrats once again.

Ammeck, thanx a lot. Another issue is that I married in Jan 2010 and registered it in Sept 2010 but it was stated in the certificate d date i married. Is the late registration of d marriage a problem? I'm worried. Shalom!!

I married in 1995 and registered the marriage in 2003 but the embassy didn't find any problem with it. There is nothing wrong with it, and as alexee said, you just have to explain if a question of it crops up during your interview.

Hi ranaty,

This will not be a problem. I had a similar situation like yours but it wasn't a problem since they recognise traditional marrige. Just note that they will ask why you married in Jan 2010 and register your marriage in Sept 2010. Just find a reason for it and you will be okay.

Hi alexe i got married in a customary way b4 i enterd to DV lottery and i am going to register it soon and my question is should i do a white weeding or the traditional one will do?

@ Akwasi_yankee,
From your interview experience, your visa collection slip was blue. A lady interviewed before me took a yellow slip. Her facial appearance indicated she was successful in the interview. Does this mean in Ghana we two different visa collection slips. Am kind of lost. Any answers Forumites.
In relation to the documents requested for by the CO: I corrected the anomaly on the Police Clearance the same day and BECE certificate is already available, only that I could not take it to the interview with me cos I thought it was not necessary.

hi onasis, the blue slip i received had "visa collection ticket" written on it, not really sure for the yellow one. I think the yellow indicates an admin processing state and critical documents may be required before visa is issued.

goog afternoon to you all,

i have been following this thred for sometime now, but today is my first time of commenting. at least, i have my second letter now so i have vim haha...ha.
well, i have some few questions to ask my fellow ghanaians on this thread who have been to the interview already
1. what were the questions asked? (labora2, kyerewaa and the rest kindly assist)
2 how long did it take?
3. were you asked about form i-134? (well i sent a mail to the us embassy in accra on 10 jan 2011 asking them whether my host need to send it to me or to them, and the reply was: ' this is to inform you that you will not require affidavit of support- form I-134 for your dv processing'
4.when it comes to the educational certificates, did they request for anything below ssce? ( i cannot find my BECE although i have my ssce right to my MBA degrees intact)
thanks guys and hoping to hear from anyone of you.

Congrats my brother. Good to know that the document they requested is ready. Just send it there on the given day and you will be okay. Congrats once again.

congrats alexee357. but if i may ask, why did you use form I-864 and not form I-134 for your AOS
thanks
kartey21

AFRICA 31,950 Except: Egypt 24,275
Ethiopia 18,650
Nigeria 13,100
ASIA 17,200
EUROPE 20,450
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 7
OCEANIA 900
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 1,025

@alexee357 thks for you advice, but the univ will keep the high school diploma until i gaduate. I hope there is someone who got the green card while still in college will help me to know what should i take at the interview...thks

Hi alexe i got married in a customary way b4 i enterd to DV lottery and i am going to register it soon and my question is should i do a white weeding or the traditional one will do?

Massa, you don't need a wedding to prove your relationship. Register your marriage at any of the metropolitan, municipal or district assemblies. Use the cert that will be issue and try to get enough pictures of you for the interview.

goog afternoon to you all,

i have been following this thred for sometime now, but today is my first time of commenting. at least, i have my second letter now so i have vim haha...ha.
well, i have some few questions to ask my fellow ghanaians on this thread who have been to the interview already
1. what were the questions asked? (labora2, kyerewaa and the rest kindly assist)
2 how long did it take?
3. were you asked about form i-134? (well i sent a mail to the us embassy in accra on 10 jan 2011 asking them whether my host need to send it to me or to them, and the reply was: ' this is to inform you that you will not require affidavit of support- form I-134 for your dv processing'
4.when it comes to the educational certificates, did they request for anything below ssce? ( i cannot find my BECE although i have my ssce right to my MBA degrees intact)
thanks guys and hoping to hear from anyone of you.

@1 The questions varies - it depend on the interviewing office but since your highest qualification is MBA, be prepared to answer questions about your final school project.
@2 It could be about 5 to any minute.
@3 If you are single then you may not need it but if you are married then the opposite applies.
@4 With all your certs ready from SSSCE to Masters' you don't need to worry about BECE since you have enough to prove. They normally ask of BECE when the applicant shows SSSCE as their only educational qualification.

@alexee357 thks for you advice, but the univ will keep the high school diploma until i gaduate. I hope there is someone who got the green card while still in college will help me to know what should i take at the interview...thks

Without your certificate, it will be hard for you to prove the authencity of your qualification. Why should the university keep your high school diploma if they are not the one who issued it? Anyway, you have to find a way of getting it for the interview, otherwise be prepared for anything.......

AFRICA 31,950 Except: Egypt 24,275
Ethiopia 18,650
Nigeria 13,100
ASIA 17,200
EUROPE 20,450
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 7
OCEANIA 900
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 1,025

wow, as the president rightly said this year is that of an Action one. 2011 forumers, the Almighty Father is really for us, so FEAR NOT.

For March, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2011 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA............................................31,950
Except:
Egypt.......................................................24,275
Ethiopia....................................................18,650
Nigeria......................................................13,100
ASIA...............................................17,200
EUROPE...........................................20,450
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS)......................7
OCEANIA.............................................900
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN.....1,025

For March, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2010 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA..........................................29,600
Except:
Egypt:....................................................18,000
Ethiopia:.................................................16,950
Nigeria:...................................................14,350
ASIA.............................................12,000
EUROPE.........................................24,700
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS)....................4
OCEANIA...........................................880
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN.....985

Comparing 2010 to 2011, there has been improvements in all the regions/countries with the exception of Nigeria and Europe. I think the cut-offs for 2011 is going to be better than 2010.

Current at last

My dear ghanaian brothers and sisters, finally i'm due 4 my interview in march. I'ld need ur support n prayers, as i prepare and go tru the process. To all of u, i say AKWAABA! (i wish i culd say THANK U in ur language)

Congratulationssssssssssssss, my brother!

My dear ghanaian brothers and sisters, finally i'm due 4 my interview in march. I'ld need ur support n prayers, as i prepare and go tru the process. To all of u, i say AKWAABA! (i wish i culd say THANK U in ur language)

The Most High has finally heard your cries. Listen, you're destined to be a winner. This year is a year of overflow, therefore he who seeks God will definitely find Him. Rejoice in the Lord, your God for it is done already in Jesus' name. Amen! Peace unto you, my brother. Benniit

please, I would like to know how to extend the interview date. is it to E-mail the Embassy, write to them or Call to their Office for the date to be postpone. Please help me on this because I don't want to make any mistake.

please, I would like to know how to extend the interview date. is it to E-mail the Embassy, write to them or Call to their Office for the date to be postpone. Please help me on this because I don't want to make any mistake.

Its likely you will be current in April so why don't you try and resolve the issues that will require you to postpone your date b4 you are current. In anycase you can attend the interview and ask that your date be postponed. But be mindful of when you are current since there is the possibility that they may not be able to schedule another date for you before the fiscal year ends. Stay blessed

Last edited by a moderator: